Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

tresir2012 Oh! What a tangled web we weave...

'Walking dead': Inmates describe how coronavirus swept through an Ohio prison

One action being taken is having the inmates sleep head to toe to help with social distancing. How is that working out?

See for yourself:

See shocking photo from inside a Marion Ohio
prison dormitory:
84ee87c92ce79f1ea947324aee811daf
. __________________________________
YOUR QUESTION:

Is that there regular sleeping arrangements? No wonder they have such a high infection rate. Why are they all crammed in one dorm like that?

COOL CATS ANSWER FROM PREVIOUS THREAD:

Yes! It's normal for inmates to be crowded into open dormatories. Even 6 to a cell.

Last edited:
The power of words, bias, and incorrectly using data.

First article seems to look at Sweden curiously, trying to find an answer as to why the country hasn't been overrun. Quotes experts both supporting and disagreeing with Sweden's policy.

The second article goes scorched earth to question Sweden's results and morality. Of course the author compares deaths rates of confirmed cases between countries, which is pretty meaningless since the amount of testing varies.

Same basic information available to the authors for each article. But it seems news reporting is dead, as articles have become simple editorials, with the author cherry picking information to suit their pre-conceived agenda.

How Sweden has faced the coronavirus without a lockdown | Boston.com

Sweden’s death rate of 22 per 100,000 people is the same as that of Ireland, which has earned accolades for its handling of the pandemic, and far better than in Britain or France.

Yet, on this warm spring day, at least, there was little evidence that people were observing the protocols — adding further mystery to Sweden’s apparent success in handling the scourge without an economically devastating lockdown.

All around Lilja along Skanegatan Street in the Sodermalm neighborhood of Stockholm, younger Swedes thronged bars, restaurants and a crowded park last week, drinking in the sun.

They laughed and basked in freedoms considered normal in most parts of the world not long ago, before coronavirus lockdowns, quarantines and mass restrictions upended social norms. As other nations in Europe begin to consider reopening their economies, Sweden’s experience would seem to argue for less caution, not more.

While other countries were slamming on the brakes, Sweden kept its borders open, allowed restaurants and bars to keep serving, left preschools and grade schools in session, and placed no limits on public transport or outings in local parks. Hairdressers, yoga studios, gyms and even some cinemas have remained open.

Gatherings of more than 50 people are banned. Museums have closed, and sporting events have been canceled. At the end of March, authorities banned visits to nursing homes.

That’s roughly it. There are almost no fines and police officers can only ask people to oblige. Pedestrians wearing masks are generally stared at as if they have just landed from Mars.

Sweden's coronavirus death rate is nearly double that of the U.S., Trump says country is 'paying heavily' for not imposing a lockdown

Cases of the novel coronavirus continue to rise in Sweden, which has a death rate of over 12 percent, the sixth highest in the world among countries with more than 1,000 confirmed cases, as of Thursday, according to the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University.

Sweden's death rate is more than twice as high as that of the U.S. (around 5.8 percent), the current epicenter of the outbreak which has the highest death toll in the world, and of China (around 5.5 percent), where the virus was first reported in the city of Wuhan.

The country has sparked controversy for its seemingly relaxed approach to combating the pandemic by surprisingly choosing not to impose a nationwide lockdown, while many of its European neighbors, including across Scandinavia, have done so.

The country has reported more than 21,000 confirmed cases, including nearly 2,500 fatalities. Its death rate is nearly six times as high as that of Norway (nearly 2.6 percent) and nearly triple that of its other Scandinavian neighbors Finland (nearly 4.2 percent) and Denmark (nearly 4.9 percent).

@Ragnarok I really think that $1200 "bonus" was to help folks out while the mess of unemployment insurance benefits is ongoing. At least people were given a help. It may not have been needed by everyone, but folks who haven't had a cent of money since end of March. My Mom is one of those folks.

Her neighbor, has SNAP benefits, but not a cent to buy diapers. Or even money to make cloth diapers. She used that stimulus money to get diapers, and other stuff.

Can’t they use closed captioning?

They have been, for a very long time. If on YouTube... go down to the cc icon and click on it. These days, is common for youtubes to have such. Dr. Cambell, Dr. S.. Cuomo and all that I follow have the cc captions. I think YouTube does what we think of as talk to text automatically?

Last edited:
That issue is addressed in the body of the article:

"Rich Azzopardi, a senior adviser to Cuomo, said the governor's office has 'deployed a dedicated (ASL) stream' -- which is available on its website -- and 'all conferences have been close captioned.'

'We'll review the suit, but we've been moving heaven and earth and working with the Albany press corps to reduce density in the room and respect social distancing standards as we fight this pandemic,
Azzopardi said in a written statement to CNN.

While the lawsuit acknowledges the governor's office has ASL interpretation on its internet live-streamed feed, it argues some New York residents don't have internet access."

bbm

Here's a look at how some states are easing some restrictions today

Arizona:
Gov. Doug Ducey authorized hospitals and outpatient surgical centers to resume elective surgeries beginning today.

Arkansas
: Residents can start camping in state parks today as long as they are in "self-contained RVs,” Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced earlier this week.

Colorado
: Retail businesses can phase-in public openings if they are implementing best practices and personal services can reopen. Salon services can also restart as long as the professionals follow rules like wearing face coverings and gloves, refusing walk-in clients and limiting the number of people present to ten

Georgia
: Some malls in metro Atlanta and across the northern part of the state plan to reopen today

Idaho
: The state’s stay at home order expired today. Gov. Brad Little has called for a plan that eases economic restrictions in four stages, with two weeks in between each stage. In the first phase, bars, gyms and theaters would remain closed and restaurants would continue to carry out service, but some other businesses and places of worship could open with social distancing plans.

Illinois
: Retail stores that are not considered essential may take phone and online orders for delivery or outside store pick-up. Some state parks will have a phased reopening, groups of no more than two people will be allowed to go fishing or boating and golf will be permitted under strict conditions.

Iowa
: Gov. Kim Reynolds announced that 77 of Iowa's 99 counties can reopen restaurants, fitness centers, retail stores and enclosed malls at 50% capacity.

Nevada
: The state will start easing some restrictions for small businesses today, including allowing all retail businesses to operate under curbside commerce models and permitting drive-in services for places of worship

North Dakota:
Gov. Doug Burgum is allowing many businesses closed under a previous order to reopen, but they must follow state guidelines.

Ohio
: Gov. Mike DeWine announced that the state will reopen health care today, saying all procedures that do not require an overnight stay in a hospital can move forward.

Oklahoma
: Gov. Kevin Stitt said starting today, restaurants, dining rooms, movie theaters, sporting venues and gyms can open if they maintain "strict social distancing and sanitation protocols."

Oregon
: Gov. Kate Brown announced that she will be lifting her order delaying non-urgent procedures for health care providers, as long as they can demonstrate they have met new requirements for Covid-19 safety and preparedness.

Pennsylvania
: Golf courses, marinas, guided fishing trips and privately owned campgrounds may reopen statewide starting today, but are required to follow updated life-sustaining business guidance.

Tennessee
: Hospitals can resume elective procedures today, and gyms can reopen in 89 of 95 counties but with a reduced capacity of 50%

Texas
: Gov. Greg Abbott’s new executive order, “Strategic Plan to Open Texas," which supersedes local orders, allows businesses like retail stores, malls, restaurants and theaters to reopen today, but the occupancy is limited to 25%.

Utah
: Utah had no official stay at home order, and gyms and restaurant dining will be allowed today.

Virginia
: Surgery and dental procedures can resume today, according to the state's governor.

Wisconsin
: The state will reopen 34 state parks and forests today under special conditions to help minimize overcrowding and allow for social distancing requirements.

Wyoming
: Wyoming will allow gyms and personal services business like hair and nail salons to reopen today under tight restrictions.

Remember: As these measures loosen, the CDC has put together a series of instructions for states to safely relax prevention measures. Read more here.

To see your state's reopening plans, go here.

US coronavirus update: Some states have partially reopened

Cuomo now live, WITH closed captioning as they have had for a very long time.

The lawsuit states that not all NYers have internet access and thus the close-captioning isn't available to all.

To me, this is such an easy fix - just put the interpreter on the screen with the governor, live, and move on. My hunch is that is what will happen.

Grateful for a problem that can be easily fixed when we have so many complicated issues to deal with.

jmo

Actually no, for older deaf folks, they mainly use American Sign Language, which is based on French. It doesn't translate literally like Signed English.

More of an issue for people who went to residential deaf schools, and are culturally deaf. Some are barely literate in reading English.

The infection rate has finally started to slow down, but the overall number of coronavirus cases in New Jerseycontinues to be one of the highest in the nation — topping 118,600 on Thursday, with 7,228 confirmed deaths related to COVID-19 in the Garden State.

The numbers can be found in these three links, grouped by region:
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN NORTH JERSEY
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN CENTRAL JERSEY
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN SOUTH JERSEY
New charts show town-by-town breakdowns of coronavirus cases and deaths across N.J.

To answer a question from the last thread from @tresir2012:

Where do you think the larger sample will come from? The worldometers info I linked was from 72k Chinese cases and had zero child deaths. Not sure how many of those 72k cases were positive kids though so where else can we find data on kids numbers?

You can go through each nation's official numbers and count them up yourself. Or you can wait for a researcher to do it. But Worldometer should not be stating that there are zero dead children when there are obviously 9 14 and other (and about 5 between 15 and 18) dead in the US alone.

We will not have large samples of children with CoVid, except for the asymptomatic. That much is clear. As I already posted, those asymptomatic children have the same viral load as an asymptomatic adult and symptomatic children have the same viral load as asymptomatic adults or children. There is no age difference in terms of transmission of the virus. Closing of schools has prevented the virus from taking root in this disease that has been mostly (until now) spread by adults in the workplace, in transit, etc

Scientists have identified at least one reason why children (and women) are less symptomatic than men:

COVID-19 Infection and Circulating ACE2 Levels: Protective Role in Women and Children

It has to do with the receptors (ACE2 receptors) that govern the function of blood veins and arteries. Here's the wiki on ACE2 receptors:

Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 - Wikipedia

Here's an article on why children may end up being a reservoir of transmission:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30236-X/fulltext

The Lancet is one of the world's best medical journals, btw. Many places, schools were closed before children could be infected. Many of the carriers of CoVid-19 were business travelers and other travelers, adult. Workplace transmission was one of the first vectors, as we probably all know. But K-12 teachers don't travel much and certainly not much during the school year. It's still unknown to what degree children in NYC will test positive for antibodies, but it would stand to reason that more teachers would have CoVid-19 if they were using public transit.

When the schools reopen (presuming CoVid-19 rates continue to go down as they are), we shall see whether more children get CoVid-19. It seems inevitable that they will, but most will be mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic. Teachers will therefore be at risk and they, themselves, will carry a higher viral load home to their families before they become symptomatic. That's presuming no vaccine or similar intervention.

From the link:

"Murphy’s office, when asked about specific reopening dates and a response to Doherty's remarks, pointed out the governor's comments on "Fox & Friends" Thursday morning in which he said reopening can begin to be phased in 'as soon as we can responsibly get the health challenges under control' -- which he thinks could be in a matter of weeks, not months."

Thanks for clarifying, so often we only see headlines that can be purposely misleading. BTW, 65-80% of Americans want lockdown to continue until the disease is under some measure of control. Not cured, not vaccinated. Just a simmer, I guess.

I have noticed an uptick in people challenging older Americans by saying incendiary stuff like "old people should die so the economy can survive." I am not sure what answer they want if any. I think it is either
  • Tell me that you've lived a good life and are willing to die so the economy is good for young people. In this way, I can feel less guilty.
OR
  • I am sick and tired of the lockdown. I can't make my lease payments on my luxury SUV and kids are driving me crazy at home. I don't want to put up with these conveniences to keep you safe.

Last edited:
To answer a question from the last thread from @tresir2012:

Where do you think the larger sample will come from? The worldometers info I linked was from 72k Chinese cases and had zero child deaths. Not sure how many of those 72k cases were positive kids though so where else can we find data on kids numbers?

You can go through each nation's official numbers and count them up yourself. Or you can wait for a researcher to do it. But Worldometer should not be stating that there are zero dead children when there are obviously 9 14 and other (and about 5 between 15 and 18) dead in the US alone.

We will not have large samples of children with CoVid, except for the asymptomatic. That much is clear. As I already posted, those asymptomatic children have the same viral load as an asymptomatic adult and symptomatic children have the same viral load as asymptomatic adults or children. There is no age difference in terms of transmission of the virus. Closing of schools has prevented the virus from taking root in this disease that has been mostly (until now) spread by adults in the workplace, in transit, etc

Scientists have identified at least one reason why children (and women) are less symptomatic than men:

COVID-19 Infection and Circulating ACE2 Levels: Protective Role in Women and Children

It has to do with the receptors (ACE2 receptors) that govern the function of blood veins and arteries. Here's the wiki on ACE2 receptors:

Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 - Wikipedia

Here's an article on why children may end up being a reservoir of transmission:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30236-X/fulltext

The Lancet is one of the world's best medical journals, btw. Many places, schools were closed before children could be infected. Many of the carriers of CoVid-19 were business travelers and other travelers, adult. Workplace transmission was one of the first vectors, as we probably all know. But K-12 teachers don't travel much and certainly not much during the school year. It's still unknown to what degree children in NYC will test positive for antibodies, but it would stand to reason that more teachers would have CoVid-19 if they were using public transit.

When the schools reopen (presuming CoVid-19 rates continue to go down as they are), we shall see whether more children get CoVid-19. It seems inevitable that they will, but most will be mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic. Teachers will therefore be at risk and they, themselves, will carry a higher viral load home to their families before they become symptomatic. That's presuming no vaccine or similar intervention.
I have looked and quoted China figures and UK so far. No deaths for under 14 in those two countries. I am going to look at Germany and Sweden and probably Switzerland. The kids are getting it but not seriously so to my mind whether they are contagious is really something WHO should have worked out by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia