Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If politicians decide that the best option during pandemic is to get sick, I vote that they get sick first with a hefty viral load. When they come out the other end of the illness, if they survive, they can tell us whether that really is the best option.
Hey, worked on Boris Johnson. After he came out of it, he decided it was definitely not a good option.

I noticed the same thing about TRAFFIC this afternoon. I drove 20 miles North to Ventura County to take some Omaha Steaks to my son. There was so much freeway and traffic, it was like pre-pandemic days. And it was a Sunday afternoon.

I passed a Target on my way home and there was a very long line of masked people, waiting to enter the store. I've never seen a line there in the past month and I take that freeway exit all the time. I thought it was odd.

i have been wondering how the LA freeways are doing... seems like such a monumental change to the forever traffic jams... but are you saying those traffic snarls are back to a somewhat normal? I have thought it must be heaven to travel " so lightly" these days...

For herd immunity, 60-70% of population needs to be infected. We appear to be nowhere near that, even in states like New York.
Millions will die if we are going for herd immunity.

Most epidemiologists are using an overall 1% rate if we just go all out for herd immunity. Some are saying 2% due to the fact that the elderly would experience such high rates, all children with pre-existing conditions (many of them as yet unknown) would be exposed, essential workers' death rates would go up. The new anti-viral (completely in the hands of Fema/federal supply) is no where near enough to make a dent in deaths if all states open up completely.

So about 3.3M would die in the US. With extreme luck, way more test capacity than what we have, and drugs like remdesivir in the hands of the states, it could be 1.7M Americans dead. In places with really good medical infrastructure and the possibility of manufacturing some pharma within the state, then the death toll might be lower (having some rural areas and city-isolation helps too). California estimates 400-800,000 deaths if we do this. It makes me so depressed to even think about.

FEMA is estimating we're going to have 3000 deaths per day on June (a near doubling of what we have right now) if continue on our path to opening in the manner that we are. No word from them on what they are going to do now that they control the entire supply of remdesivir.

This is just so sad. I've gone from not being able to sleep much to sleeping, but waking up with nightmares and my heart pounding. I have dreams that I'm in charge of handing things out (usually something silly, as it's a dream - last night I handing out some kind card to get entry to someplace). Even though I can stay home as long as I like, apparently, I am so worried about everyone else I know and, like everyone, my family.

I have been keeping quiet about how well my state is doing, as so many other places are suffering so much. We have a population of over 1.7 million, have now had almost two weeks of no new cases, and are considered to be 98% clear of infection. Three cases currently in hospital, none in ICU.

We closed our state borders fairly quickly to keep the infection rate low, testing has been high, and everybody has truly been doing the right things. Playgrounds re-opened yesterday, schools are open and attendance is high.

We all have different hopes for the things that will be allowed in the next stage (should things continue to go well). But it seems that intra-state travel, some sports, and possibly cafes being allowed to have spaced out table seating, may be next.

No Cookies | The Advertiser

Who knows when they will open our state borders. There are so many risks and obstacles yet to move through.

Thank you for posting. I appreciate knowing that some places in the world are able to get CoV-19 completely under control. I hope that your winning streak continues. It must curl your hair to see some of the crazy things that are happening here on the other side of the world. Although, having said that, I believe that we (Canada) have one province and three territories that have all cases resolved, and one province with only two remaining unresolved cases. But Ontario and Quebec are still a mess.

This evening, while out walking, I met my neighbour and asked (from across the road) how her daughter's family were doing. "They're living in Australia," she said with great relief in her eyes, "they're going to be fine."

The latest numbers on COVID-19 in Canada

Last edited:
It can never happen to me syndrome.

Yes, you could be right. That would explain why some people simply don't have any regard for their own safety and that of others. I think too that there is a constant battle to get accurate information out to people. It's so important for our leaders to preach over and over the same message about exactly how we will stop the spread of CoV-19, and how each person has to be part of the work.

That message has become so twisted and diluted in some places that people don't even know what the facts are anymore.

3:32 a.m.: Italy cautiously emerges from world's longest lockdown

Italy, the first country in the world to impose a nationwide lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, eased some restrictions on Monday as the number of new infections continued to decline.

Italy has a similar population, size and density to us (and roughly the same case/death rate) so I'm watching with interest to see what happens. It's always been said we are 2-3 weeks behind them and that seems to be fairly accurate so far.

Is herd immunity through widespread infection the ultimate aim? We don't know if a person remains immune for very long after being sick with CoV-19, or if mutations will expose the population to repeated illnesses. At this point, we don't know if herd immunity is possible, even if the entire population gets sick.

It's possible, although unknown, that herd immunity might come as a consequence of not getting CoV-19 under control, but I sure hope it's not the aim, at least not without a vaccine. I think that the ultimate aim is to shut down transmission through physical distancing, testing, tracking and quarantining in order to stop the spread, or at the very least, to keep the infection rate as low as possible until a vaccine can stop the spread.

if people won’t be immune from getting Covid, then a vaccine won’t provide immunity either, right? I have very little hope in a vaccine, my opinion.

Can’t stop virus transmission 100%. It is not realistic. We were just supposed to flatten the curve as to not overwhelm hospitals, not prevent 100% of infections. It will be there whether we go out now or in 2 months or in 18 months. If hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, we need to begin opening for business.
MOO

The report also says China held off informing the World Health Organization that the coronavirus “was a contagion” for much of January so it could order medical supplies from abroad — and that its imports of face masks and surgical gowns and gloves increased sharply."

That information does not appear to be true, and may be propaganda. Here are reports from the WHO site:
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) - events as they happen

Pneumonia of unknown cause reported to WHO China Office
31 December 2019 At the close of 2019, the WHO China Country Office was informed of a pneumonia of unknown cause, detected in the city of Wuhan in Hubei province, China. According to the authorities, some patients were operating dealers or vendors in the Huanan Seafood market.

Staying in close contact with national authorities, WHO began monitoring the situation and requested further information on the laboratory tests performed and the different diagnoses considered.

WHO reports on pneumonia of unknown cause in China
5 January 2020 WHO published its risk assessment and advice and reported on the status of patients and the public health response by national authorities to the cluster of pneumonia cases in Wuhan.

10 January 2020 Developed with reference to other coronaviruses, such as SARS and MERS, WHO issued a tool for countries to check their ability to detect and respond to a novel coronavirus. This information is to help with identifying main gaps, assessing risks and planning for additional investigations, response and control actions.

Yes, you could be right. That would explain why some people simply don't have any regard for their own safety and that of others. I think too that there is a constant battle to get accurate information out to people. It's so important for our leaders to preach over and over the same message about exactly how we will stop the spread of CoV-19, and how each person has to be part of the work.

That message has become so twisted and diluted in some places that people don't even know what the facts are anymore.

It takes leadership to get people behind you. Some individuals have stepped up, and people are paying attention to what is said. Others have shown us the opposite.

Today I listened to MN Governor Walz's live update. He told Minnesotans where things stand, but he also gave others, including a small African business owner, time. IMO he was respectful, showed leadership, answered questions, and came across as genuinely concerned and honest. He is why most Minnesotans are behind the stay at home and closings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yurchenko