Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Italy has a similar population, size and density to us (and roughly the same case/death rate) so I'm watching with interest to see what happens. It's always been said we are 2-3 weeks behind them and that seems to be fairly accurate so far.

@CoverMeCagney, Here is a video on Italy reopening. Starting gradually to come back to life

This is so sweet, grandparents hugging their granddaughter for the first time in months. I haven't seen mine since January 19th. I, like many of you here, can't wait to get my arms around them.

Italy figured out it was a soccer match that more than likely infected thousands of people who went to the GEWISS Stadium in Bergamo, to see Italy play Spain. This was around the same time Italy had it's first case of CV.

ABC News’ James Longman reports from Italy as people head outside after months of lockdown.

Correction The soccer match was played in Milan

With Atalanta’s Gewiss Stadium currently undergoing renovations to become UEFA compliant, the club’s been hosting its Champions League matches 37 miles away at Milan’s San Siro.

According to the Associated Press, a Champions League match between Atalanta and Valencia in February may have been the reason why the virus spread so rapidly in the country. Atalanta hosted the Spanish team on Feb. 19 in Milan.

I’m Staying At Home: Atalanta Fans Celebrate Club’s Biggest Night With The American Experience

Last edited:
The U.S. government was slow to understand how much coronavirus was spreading from Europe, which helped drive the acceleration of outbreaks across the nation, a top health official said Friday.

The CDC on Friday published an article, authored by Schuchat, that looked back on the U.S. response, recapping some of the major decisions and events of the last few months. It suggests the nation’s top public health agency missed opportunities to slow the spread. Some public health experts saw it as important assessment by one of the nation’s most respected public health doctors.

The CDC is responsible for the recognition, tracking and prevention of just such a disease. But the agency has had a low profile during this pandemic, with White House officials controlling communications and leading most press briefings.

“The degree to which CDC’s public presence has been so diminished ... is one of the most striking and frankly puzzling aspects of the federal government’s response,” said Jason Schwartz, assistant professor of health policy at the Yale School of Public Health.

But in her article, Schuchat noted that nearly 2 million travelers arrived in the U.S. from Italy and other European countries during February. The U.S. government didn’t block travel from there until March 11.

“The extensive travel from Europe, once Europe was having outbreaks, really accelerated our importations and the rapid spread,” she told the AP. ”I think the timing of our travel alerts should have been earlier.”

She also noted in the article that more than 100 people who had been on nine separate Nile River cruises during February and early March had come to the U.S. and tested positive for the virus, nearly doubling the number of known U.S. cases at that time.

Health official says US missed some chances to slow virus

Public Health Response to the Initiation and Spread of Pandemic ...

I hope this outbreak is found to be under control. It's always good to hear of people and places where stopping the spread has been achieved.

Today's results: 17 new cases, 11 more from the outbreak area. These folk have been isolated from the start, due to their initial contact, and it is stated 'no community spread is expected': action was swift, in isolating all that worked there immediately.

App stores approve UK contact-tracing app for test

Info about NHSX the new contact tracing app being trialled on the IOW.

From the link

"A test version of the NHS's coronavirus contact-tracing app has been published to Apple and Google's app stores.

Council staff and healthcare workers on the Isle of Wight will be invited to install it on Tuesday, ahead of a wider roll-out on the island on Thursday.

Project chiefs have said their so-called "centralised" approach gives them advantages over a rival scheme advocated by the US tech giants and some privacy experts.

But fresh concerns have been raised.

The Information Commissioner's Office has declared that "as a general rule, a decentralised approach" would better follow its principle that organisations should minimise the amount of personal data they collect.

The House of Commons' Human Rights Select Committee also discussed fears about plans to extend the app to record location data.

"There is an inherent risk that if you create a system that can be added to incrementally, you could do so in a way that is very privacy invasive," cautioned law professor Orla Lynskey.

p08c7wgq.jpg

Media captionMatt Hancock said Isle of Wight residents using the app "will be saving lives"
But NHSX - the health service's digital innovation unit - has stressed that:

• use of the app will be voluntary
  • the only personal data stored by the app at the start will be the first part of the user's postcode
  • additional location data will only be recorded if users agree to a further opt-in request
"Please download the app to protect the NHS and save lives," Health Secretary Matt Hancock urged Isle of Wight residents.

"By downloading the app, you're protecting your own health, you're protecting the health of your loved ones, and the health of the community."

Wireless signals
The NHS Covid-19 app is intended to supplement medical tests and contact-tracing interviews carried out by humans, in order to prevent a resurgence of Covid-19 when lockdown measures are eased. "

Continues at link.

So as people start to go out more as lock downs are relaxed I will admit I’m still not going anywhere at the moment.

I will watch the Guinea pigs go out and watch it start to spread again. I am in no rush to start to using public transport and if things look good in a month I will start to relax and go out.

I did not suffer though the last 15 weeks for me to rush outside and then catch it because I got exited a lockdown ending.

AA6uubQ.img

Trump OK if Aust wins virus vaccine race

Peter Mitchell, AAP US Correspondent
3 hrs ago
US President Donald Trump is "very confident" there will be a COVID-19 vaccine by the end of the year and he is OK if Australia or another nation beats the US to the breakthrough.

Trump said American and Australian scientists were working together on a vaccine.

So as people start to go out more as lock downs are relaxed I will admit I’m still not going anywhere at the moment.

I will watch the Guinea pigs go out and watch it start to spread again. I am in no rush to start to using public transport and if things look good in a month I will start to relax and go out.

I did not suffer though the last 15 weeks for me to rush outside and then catch it because I got exited a lockdown ending.
Have you been in lockdown since January?

I hven't posted in such a long time about covid19 because knowing a little science is dangerous. I was hoping for a scientific breakthrough but Arizona State University just identified a woman's test sample of Covid19 and it showed 80 some deletions in its genome sequence of 30,000 which is wonderful. I will try to find the exact scientific paper to link but this is the first time I feel like a corner is turned. The deletions show that that virus is weakening in even one person which is really something to celebrate, omg. How many other people have a weakened virus?!!!!!! If the virus attenuates over time, our immune systems will be able to fight this terrible virus, to me this is better than a vaccine but that is IMOO because it shows that this virus is being weakened. I have thrills and chills thinking about this! Thank God for all the scientists and lab assistants and donors who go in everyday to work with this virus under all kinds of conditions in their own lives. Will look for the scientific link! Might just be an abstract! Wonderful.

I read your post and thought this article 'might' discuss it. Thanks!

Like his ego would like somebody else finding a cure. He is so arrogant it’s unbelievable and he definitely wouldn’t let the world forget if America get a vaccine first.
The leader of every country in the world would be ecstatic if a vaccine was developed, no matter who came up with it. Just like the rest of us.

My maths is obviously bad and it just feels like 15 weeks. I started beginning of March as I have two elderly parents so we started lock down weeks before in London in the U.K. as you could see the writing on the wall.

Ok yes it does feel like much longer. We began around a week before the official lockdown, so about 7 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissHalle