Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the governors and mayors open states and cities too soon, it will not be good for them.
The economy, school, etc need to open up. I think the process should be slow, not an "on" switch, but I do think we can start opening.

HOWEVER, what have we done to make sure it's safe? Are schools planning how to keep space between students? Are businesses changing their office space, business meetings practices, etc? Are factories in the process of reconfiguring their work stations? Are stores figuring out how shoppers can browse their items without contaminating them?

Or, is everyone using the lockdown time just to wait? We've had the opportunity to make changes....and I'm expecting that as we open up, things will be different, not simply a return to how things were.

I am skeptical that plans are in place - but I hope I'm wrong.

jmo

54 residents at Medford nursing home die from coronavirus

By Jackson Cote | jcote@masslive.com
The coronavirus has claimed the lives of dozens of residents at a Medford nursing home in the past four weeks and infected more than 100, according a report from The Boston Globe.

Genesis Healthcare, the parent company of the Courtyard Nursing Care Center, told the Globe on Monday that 54 residents at the 224-bed facility have died since April 5 due to COVID-19. Another 117 residents and 42 staffers have been diagnosed with the virus.

Massachusetts/more at link
omg. Is this correct--->213 out of 224, either have died or have the virus???????

Not going to a retail store. Online works. Not going to a sit-down restaurant. Drive-thru has worked well. Not staying in a hotel/motel. Home works. Not flying anywhere. Definitely not going to a concert or sports event (TV or online). July 4 (and Labor Day) will just be another day. And, in no way will I consider going to the State Fair.

I will solo bicycle, take walks in lightly used areas, go to the grocery store. Maybe I'll miss the ambience, but maybe I'll survive too.

Trump will have to face the price of reopening the US economy: tens of thousands of American lives - CNNPolitics

"While 56% said they are comfortable going to the grocery store now, 67% said they would be uncomfortable visiting a retail store and 78% said they'd be uncomfortable going to a sit-down restaurant, according to the poll."

I had to pick up my three prescriptions yesterday at a new (to me) pharmacy for health coverage reasons. I had been shopping at another pharmacy but I wanted my ninety-day refills which are only available to me at this pharmacy. The store was almost empty at 9:00 am. I saw two other shoppers, both masked. (This is a very conservative part of Colorado.) The pharmacist, visible from the counter, had a mask but had it off part of the time. The pharmacy clerk wore her mask the full time. The store manager was masked. I saw nobody else there.

Edited to fix spelling.

It was worth getting ninety days of my prescriptions, but I won't be going back there except to pick-up refills in ninety days. Like you, I will continue to semi-isolate.

I am sure there were people there with American interests at heart anyway.
Just not anyone from the actual government that represents the U.S. people, I guess.

I hope we find out that we were represented at the table as people from around the world gathered.

A friend in need is a friend indeed. I'd like to think we are friends with our international community.

jmo

The economy, school, etc need to open up. I think the process should be slow, not an "on" switch, but I do think we can start opening.

HOWEVER, what have we done to make sure it's safe? Are schools planning how to keep space between students? Are businesses changing their office space, business meetings practices, etc? Are factories in the process of reconfiguring their work stations? Are stores figuring out how shoppers can browse their items without contaminating them?

Or, is everyone using the lockdown time just to wait? We've had the opportunity to make changes....and I'm expecting that as we open up, things will be different, not simply a return to how things were.

jmo

I don’t think U.S schools are any different to U.K. schools and as teachers have already said here back in the beginning it’s ridiculous to try and get children to social distance with their friends in school. It’s just not at all practical and it’s not going to work. Primary schools at least when I was there we had 2 breaks at 15 mins each and 1 hour for lunch and you had 2 helpers making sure we wasn’t all running amok. So you try and tell children they can’t play together as it will be ignored.

I don’t think U.S schools are any different to U.K. schools and as teachers have already said here back in the beginning it’s ridiculous to try and get children to social distance with their friends in school. It’s just not at all practical and it’s not going to work. Primary schools at least when I was there we had 2 breaks at 15 mins each and 1 hour for lunch and you had 2 helpers making sure we wasn’t all running amok. So you try and tell children they can’t play together as it will be ignored.
I think staggered school hours would be a great first step. That would be one way to reduce the number of kids in the building at one time.

Businesses could do that too. Work in shifts.

jmo

Just a personal comment on on-line shopping..and shipping. So, my Ace Hardware garden center has so few veggie plants, and very few seeds as well. So I did most of my seed shopping on line.

It is amazing that most of these tiny seed packs are coming individually in large padded envelopes. Even ones from the same source!! (Amazon used to compile an order so all came in the same shipment). I am almost "embarrased" at the overuse of packaging and shipping. I wonder if we will see data from Bezos on this in the future.

But...I am also getting them much sooner than the projected delivery dates.

jmo

I can only speak to what I've observed. Many businesses in my state (Indiana) are submitting plans. As for schools, I'm not sure. Schools are closed for the year so the soonest schools will reopen is August.

My concern is while most stores around me are doing good with marking out 6' guides, putting up posters about masks, reduced store capacity, social distance, etc they are needing to transition to enforcing behavior in stores. Of course then they have to toe a line between truly finding customers with an "up thine" attitude and those that made a mistake.

Jmo

This was organised by WHO and as President Trump has withdrawn WHO funding, it would surprise me if anyone was there representing the US.
That's no excuse. Hopefully there will be other forums, where we will be there.
When we think about antibody research, vaccine research, mutations, PPE, tests, trials, etc. etc.... no country can be selfish about this.
We MUST all be at the table for the future. imo.

Just a personal comment on on-line shopping..and shipping. So, my Ace Hardware garden center has so few veggie plants, and very few seeds as well. So I did most of my seed shopping on line. It is amazing that so most of these tiny seed packs are coming individually in large padded envelopes. Even ones from the same source!! (Amazon used to compile an order so all came in the same shipment). I am almost "embarrased" at the overuse of packaging and shipping.

But...I am also getting them much much sooner than the projected delivery dates.
I'm glad to hear you're getting your deliveries. I have not been so lucky - I think the volume of deliveries in my area has SKYROCKETED and packages are slow to arrive (undestandable!) and also getting lost in the process.

And, like you, the waste of all the packaging makes me cringe.

Perhaps a different shipping model will be developed by some smart person.

jmo

As I've learned in many years of health care advocacy, unfortunately, failure is the only effective teaching tool for some institutions and groups. For some, its only when they personally experience a tragic and catastrophic situation that they realize the importance of prevention and minimizing risk.

Some folks are unable to empathize with others and the community at large and fully understand how their actions can affect others and, most importantly, that other people's
lives are just as important
as theirs. The latter is the biggest hurdle for many people today. I learned that in church, as a child. I guess they don't teach that in many churches today. It's at the core of many of our problems today.

You nailed it

I see no direct reference to the US being represented in this article. In my opinion, this is one of my biggest fears.... We must be at the table with the world on this. We must. The Gates Foundation is international.
I hope someone can correct me...and that somehow we ARE there....

So today leaders came together at a virtual event, co-hosted by the World Health Organization, the President of France, the President of the European Commission, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The event was joined by the UN Secretary General, the AU Commission Chairperson, the G20 President, heads of state of France, South Africa, Germany, Vietnam, Costa Rica, Italy, Rwanda, Norway, Spain, Malaysia and the UK (represented by the First Secretary of State).

Some of this goes to legislation back to 9/11 or ??? . I wish that I could remember, and perhaps someone else here can. It is some type of law iirc that the US cannot do vaccines/treatments for such unless it is made/manufactured in the USA. That was discussed when the CDC was making their own for the US (and failed) instead of getting with others to do.

I would go on, but think best not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member