Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
"About half of states have eased restrictions on businesses, but Americans’ unease about patronizing them represents a major hurdle to restarting the economy. Many Americans have been making trips to grocery stores and 56 percent say they are comfortable doing so. But 67 percent say they would be uncomfortable shopping at a retail clothing store, and 78 percent would be uncomfortable eating at a sit-down restaurant. People in states with looser restrictions report similar levels of discomfort as those in states with stricter rules."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5ddc3a-8e36-11ea-9e23-6914ee410a5f_story.html
bbm

So, to me, the question is - what would make Americans feel more comfortable about returning to stores, restaurants, etc? Or, is that comfort something we can't return to and we need to find a new way?
jmo

That's no excuse. Hopefully there will be other forums, where we will be there.
When we think about antibody research, vaccine research, mutations, PPE, tests, trials, etc. etc.... no country can be selfish about this.
We MUST all be at the table for the future. imo.
I'm not excusing but suggesting. I think a lot of countries were not represented by the look of it.

"About half of states have eased restrictions on businesses, but Americans’ unease about patronizing them represents a major hurdle to restarting the economy. Many Americans have been making trips to grocery stores and 56 percent say they are comfortable doing so. But 67 percent say they would be uncomfortable shopping at a retail clothing store, and 78 percent would be uncomfortable eating at a sit-down restaurant. People in states with looser restrictions report similar levels of discomfort as those in states with stricter rules."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5ddc3a-8e36-11ea-9e23-6914ee410a5f_story.html
bbm

So, to me, the question is - what would make Americans feel more comfortable about returning to stores, restaurants, etc? Or, is that comfort something we can't return to and we need to find a new way?
jmo
Separate dining booths or pods probably. Outdoor dining with plenty of space in between. Masks cannot be worn for eating but not sure about servers.

As it seems this was now clearly in Europe in December, does this change anyones thoughts about opening?

What is the real infection rate in the genpop? Is it the same as in care homes but we just don't know it?

Separate dining booths or pods probably. Outdoor dining with plenty of space in between. Masks cannot be worn for eating but not sure about servers.

As it seems this was now clearly in Europe in December, does this change anyones thoughts about opening?

What is the real infection rate in the genpop? Is it the same as in care homes but we just don't know it?
I'm wondering of the role of waitstaff will change? Perhaps order electronically from the table and then pick up your own food? One less set of hands touching things? Or food brought to the table on a cart and each person takes their own plate from the cart?

jmo

I'm wondering of the role of waitstaff will change? Perhaps order electronically from the table and then pick up your own food? One less set of hands touching things? Or food brought to the table on a cart and each person takes their own plate from the cart?

jmo

Self service buffet style?

No way! Think of all of the hands on utensils. Shudder. I seriously think that buffets are going to be a dying breed.
We posted the same thing at the same time. :)

One day, right before the lockdown in my city, I was at a grocery store which has a beautiful array of buffets. The bins were filled with fresh and lovely-looking food....and not one person was at them.

To see the food just sitting there with no takers was a stark change as the buffets were, up until then, very popular.

I would be surprised to see them back. Just not appealing at all to get food from a communal buffet.

My more local grocery store, where I am now shopping during lockdown, has removed its deli counter completely. You can still get prepared food, but it's not made to-order but packaged ahead of time and displayed on shelves. One less line to wait in at the store.

These are just small changes of what is to come, imo.

jmo

No way! Think of all of the hands on utensils. Shudder. I seriously think that buffets are going to be a dying breed.
Carveries are/were popular in the UK. Not full self service but monitored. Also the Chinese buffet is/was very popular too. Not sure what will happen. All take away and go and eat it in your car or on a park bench I guess.

Last edited:

ETA - he is now having a better presentation on what dr. Hanson made me understand. He's redoing his charts to better go with dr. Hanson and what he did three weeks ago I think

Last edited:
We posted the same thing at the same time. :)

One day, right before the lockdown in my city, I was at a grocery store which has a beautiful array of buffets. The bins were filled with fresh and lovely-looking food....and not one person was at them.

To see the food just sitting there with no takers was a stark change as the buffets were, up until then, very popular.

I would be surprised to see them back. Just not appealing at all to get food from a communal buffet.

My more local grocery store, where I am now shopping during lockdown, has removed its deli counter completely. You can still get prepared food, but it's not made to-order but packaged ahead of time and displayed on shelves. One less line to wait in at the store.

These are just small changes of what is to come, imo.

jmo

Our in store bakery has everything in paper bags now. No self service anymore.

Disappointing that there are still so many parts of the US that don't have broadband internet access. IIRC in the stimulus bill for the 2009 recession, there was a big appropriation for extending internet access to rural areas. Wonder what happened to all of that money? Its been said we are behind many parts of Europe when it comes to speed and access to the internet. It's critical to allowing kids to study and adults to work from home.

I'm SO confused! Please help!
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.
Total deaths = 67,456
Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19):
Total deaths = 38,576
What is this about? Sorry if this has already been addressed these threads move super fast!

Re: difference between reported deaths and provisional deaths
(I can't promise this will help with understanding- me and math are not friends, so just copied and pasted from source)

"Provisional death counts are based on death certificate data received and coded by the National Center for Health Statistics as of May 4, 2020. Death counts are delayed and may differ from other published sources"

Baker eases tight restrictions on retail, car dealers

Gov. Charlie Baker on Monday gave florists, as well as many other "non-essential" businesses, a green thumbs up to bring back a limited number of employees to fulfill online and phone orders for delivery, as long as they follow proper safety measures and keep the doors locked to customers.

Massachusetts

bbm

jmo

I won't be as concerned about the business or wait staff as about the other customers. As long as employees have masks, etc. I'd be ok. The problem usually is with other customers who are rude and ignore safe rules. Clustering around doorways and entrances, crowding others in line, walking around other customers, going to the restroom (it will be a very long time before I use a public restroom).

In my area, there seem to be a lot of people who want to make a public show of flaunting the safety guidelines, like they have to prove a point. Some like to laugh and point at people who are wearing a mask or trying to keep a safe distance. Assume that will happen in restaurants that re-open. Sad if it does, and unfair to the owners and employees.

I'm SO confused! Please help!
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.
Total deaths = 67,456
Total deaths = 38,576
What is this about? Sorry if this has already been addressed these threads move super fast!
You need to read all the notes in the report to understand the differences. There is also another column including CV19 plus pneumonia.

This is one of the notes in the report.

" It is important to note that it can take several weeks for death records to be submitted to National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), processed, coded, and tabulated. Therefore, the data shown on this page may be incomplete, and will likely not include all deaths that occurred during a given time period, especially for the more recent time periods. Death counts for earlier weeks are continually revised and may increase or decrease as new and updated death certificate data are received from the states by NCHS. COVID-19 death counts shown here may differ from other published sources, as data currently are lagged by an average of 1–2 weeks."

HTH

I won't be as concerned about the business or wait staff as about the other customers. As long as employees have masks, etc. I'd be ok. The problem usually is with other customers who are rude and ignore safe rules. Clustering around doorways and entrances, crowding others in line, walking around other customers, going to the restroom (it will be a very long time before I use a public restroom).

In my area, there seem to be a lot of people who want to make a public show of flaunting the safety guidelines, like they have to prove a point. Some like to laugh and point at people who are wearing a mask or trying to keep a safe distance. Assume that will happen in restaurants that re-open. Sad if it does, and unfair to the owners and employees.
Covidiots.

Maybe I'll just go to the senior hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members