Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a really sorta dumb question: i was just thinking: i understand how humans pass the virus to other humans but my question is: are viruses just hanging around in the air? if so, why doesn't everybody get infected? I mean if you go outside, are viruses floating around in the air? if the viruses are in the air then you would be breathing it in all the time, right? i don't get it. LOL

So, as the epithelial cells in the body are attacked by SARS-CoVid-2 causing CoVid19 disease, the veins and arteries react to their own bleeding by clotting, of course. Here's a fairly readable article on the clotting issue:

Coronavirus blood-clot mystery intensifies

And here again is the Lancet article about a potentially protective treatment (it was posted above and it involves interferon - which early on, was seen to be helpful all by itself). If you're keeping a folder of possible treatments to discuss with your doctors as this pandemic wears on, this is a good one to clip:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31042-4/fulltext

^Triple combination of interferon beta-1b, lopinavir–ritonavir, and ribavirin in the treatment of patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19: an open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial.

This one is for @otto and anyone else interested in the ongoing research that will really get us closer to a specific Covid19 treatment:

Disruption of the CCL5/RANTES-CCR5 Pathway Restores Immune Homeostasis and Reduces Plasma Viral Load in Critical COVID-19

^In that one, "the CCR5 blocking antibody leronlimab" was used in CV19 patients who were near death and basically on hospice, with good results.

And in this study, using machine-made antibodies (with technology similar to CRISPR), scientists were able to synthesize a monoclonal antibody for CoVid-19:

Antibody blocks infection by the SARS-CoV-2 in cells, scientists discover

That one is very promising and quite different from a typical vaccine.

For those of you interested in vaccines, in the US the "first phase" of testing involves finding about 40 people to vaccinate with the untested vaccine. These are typically doctors, laboratory scientists, lab techs and others who are already working around the virus or who can give very informed consent. Then wait 40 days, basically, and see if anyone dies. Note side effects.

Phase 2 involves exposing those same people to CoVid-19 to see if the vaccine works. With CV-19, I think the FDA is waiving some aspects of the usual time period, since CV-19 usually shows up within 3-10 days after exposure (if not a bit earlier). But anyway, the traditional wait is 6 weeks.

Can you imagine volunteering for that?

My understanding is that usually, after this phase, military personnel receive vaccines, starting with those in areas most at risk - then the wait begins, but now with a much more general population. I don't know how they ever work kids into these models, but I do know that at some university hospitals, where parents can be fully educated about the situation, children with immune insufficiency who desperately need a vaccine to continue to survive to adult life in a pandemic may be innoculated (but not exposed - just tested for antibodies).

In this case, the FDA may have made more changes to the regular protocol, it's something I need to dig into more, if anyone sees articles on this, please post!
Around 12 years ago I worked at a hospital system that was involved with a smallpox research study. They were trying to recruit 100 hospital employees to volunteer to have the smallpox vaccine. While I don’t remember the exact amount they were offering, it was a few extra vacation days and maybe $100 or $200 given to the volunteers.

I discussed it with the doctor I was working with at the time and he said there would likely be side affects for several days, so I did not volunteer.

Go you! I so want to do that! My new gray hair is wild and won't behave no matter what I do.
My son is supposed to be having his wedding in September. (We'll see)
I have to d I a mother son dance with him! I need a wig!!!
This hair... ugh!
Moo

K-PAK Conditioner – Joico
This stuff works miracles on the untamed hair.

“The illness has taken the lives of three young New Yorkers. This is new, and it’s developing,” Cuomo said at his daily coronavirus press briefing in Manhattan.

The fatalities, which include a 5-year-old whose death the state announced Friday, are “truly disturbing,” he added.

The illness, which experts have said appears to originate from novel coronavirus, has infected at least 73 children statewide. Tackling it is “the priority for us today,” Cuomo said.

“One of the few rays of good news was young people weren’t affected. We’re not so sure that is the fact anymore. Toddlers, elementary school children are presenting symptoms similar to Kawasaki disease or toxic shock-like syndrome,” he said. “It’s an inflammation of the blood vessels [that affects] the heart.”
Two more NY children dead of coronavirus-related disease

New York now has 73 cases of children presenting with a new pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome likely linked to COVID-19 -- and a third child has died of the condition, Gov. Cuomo said Saturday, one day after he announced the first death.

"As it turns out, these children happened to have the COVID antibodies, or be positive for COVID, but those were not the symptoms they showed when they came into the hospital system," Gov. Cuomo said Saturday.

The New York State Dept. of Health is working in partnership with the CDC to develop national criteria for other states and hospital systems to help them identify, track and respond to help children exhibiting symptoms, Gov. Cuomo said. Doctors in the state say children are not presenting with symptoms until 4 to 6 weeks after exposure to the virus.

"This is every parent's nightmare, right?" Cuomo said, adding that the state is investigating additional child deaths and will conduct more studies to better understand the illness.

After Gov. Cuomo announced the first death Friday, doctors in Westchester County said a 7-year-old boy died there this week of the new condition. Later the same day, Westchester officials clarified reporting may be too preliminary to determine whether the 7-year-old boy died from COVID-19 complications or other underlying medical issues.

3 NY Child Deaths Linked to Rare COVID-Related Inflammatory Illness, At Least 73 Sick

A 7-year-old boy from Westchester County died late last week, the county confirmed on Friday. A 5-year-old boy died earlier in the week from the same syndrome at Mount Sinai Kravis Children’s Hospital in New York City. Cuomo did not give any details about the third New York child on Saturday.

‘Truly Disturbing’: Third NY Child Dies From Rare Syndrome Linked to COVID-19

Last edited:
New York Dept. of Health to conduct genome sequencing, Gov. Cuomo says

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said New York State Department of Health is partnering with the New York Genome Center and the Rockefeller University to conduct a genome and RNA sequencing study to better understand the virus.

“We still have a lot to learn about this virus," Cuomo said.

This research will help the state learn more about why young children are getting sick with a coronavirus-related illness that does not present the typical respiratory symptoms.

"The Department of Health is doing everything that they can do. I think it's fair to say that the New York State Department of Health is the first one that has been on this situation. And again, working with the CDC and whatever we find out we'll not only share with the public but we'll also share with other states and other hospital systems," Cuomo said.

Indiana Dept of health reported 586 new cases today.

The Indiana State Department of Health on Saturday said the number of positive cases for COVID-19 in the state has risen to 23,732 following the emergence of 586 more cases.

The state reported 643 new cases on Friday, 633 on Thursday, 837 on Wednesday, 526 on Tuesday, 574 on Monday and 638 on Sunday.

The department said Saturday that the cumulative death toll in the state rose to 1,362, up from 1,328 the previous day—an increase of 34.

State reports another 586 COVID-19 cases as testing hits second straight high - Indianapolis Business Journal

I have a really sorta dumb question: i was just thinking: i understand how humans pass the virus to other humans but my question is: are viruses just hanging around in the air? if so, why doesn't everybody get infected? I mean if you go outside, are viruses floating around in the air? if the viruses are in the air then you would be breathing it in all the time, right? i don't get it. LOL
Not all viruses are airborne.
Corona virus appears to be airborne, but it can only remain in the air for so long. The most infectious truly airborne virus is measles.
"The reason the measles is so, well, viral, is that the microbe is so small and hardy that it is able to stay suspended in the air where an infected person coughed or sneezed for up to two hours, making it one of the only viruses that can exist as a true aerosol."
The coronavirus likely can remain airborne. It doesn’t mean we’re doomed

Maryland reports 1,049 new cases of coronavirus, death toll reaches 1,510

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican, who serves as chair of the National Governors Association, has outlined a three-stage reopening plan, but it would occur only after the state sees two weeks of declines in the number of new deaths and cases requiring hospitalization and intensive care.

Hogan said officials will focus on restarting businesses and jobs requiring “low touch,” or minimal, direct contact between people as the state reaches a more manageable caseload.

Link to "chair of the National Governors Association": Trump calls out Maryland governor on coronavirus testing capacity. Hogan responds: ‘I’m not sure what he was trying to say.’

Yay. My tax refund has been approved and will be deposited into my bank account this week. My stimulus payment is still in limbo. I have been checking the IRS website every day, and was shocked to see my status had changed from received to approved.

Happy Mothers Day tomorrow. I hope those celebrating can do so safely. Tomorrow is also our Daughters Birthday. So she and Hubby will come. Our Family room is large so they can sit across. We will face time with Son and DIL. Since they are expecting it's too risky to have them here. If it was warm we could have gathered on the deck with distance. I sanitized the one bathroom for them to use and we will use main one. There will be cake but no candles. Thankfully I bought Birthday gift way back in November. My husband is BBQing steaks since it's my day too lol. I hope you all can enjoy your day as best you can.

Hello Bravo, and everyone!!

Tell your daughter Happy Birthday. I'm sure it will be a very special day for your family including celebrating Mother's Day.

Our eldest grandson's birthday is tomorrow also.

I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. I decided rather than discussing this most difficult time for all of us the best thing for me to do is live it instead by staying busy, and being productive as possible. At my age every day matters. Lol!

Out of our five children two of them/families live only a few miles from us while the other three live 100s of miles away. I have to admit they all spoil me rotten even during average days, but now I have been receiving numerous cards from those out of town, and gifts all this week.

The happiest part of my MD will be when they all call me, and the other two will be here tomorrow.

We give our daughters a gift for MD since they are wonderful moms to our grandchildren.

The two here have told us they have gotten together, and prepared a big lunch, and will bring everything when they come tomorrow

The weather is beautiful here so we all plan to enjoy being outside. We have three patio tables so when eating we plan to socially distance as we have done when anyone comes over.

Even inside we try very hard to stay 6 feet apart. The grandchildren will play on our four acres. So at least they can have fun while here. We have setup games to play. It's been hard for the younger ones when understanding they can't hug us right now, and it's been very hard on my hubby, and me too especially since southerners tend to be touchy feely who enjoy giving hugs, and kisses to those we love. Ha!

So we are trying to make the best of this dire situation like I know those all over the world are trying to do.

I think one of the hardest adjustments for most everyone is not being able to socialize with our families, friends, and simply not being able to be among other people in general. Humans are very social animals. That's what we do as human beings. LOL!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY Bravo, and to all of our other amazing great moms on WS!

Now I'm off to work in my flower gardens. :)

Take care everyone, and please be safe.

Ocean

Jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads