Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went by my nail salon and they are open. Restaurants opening starting Monday and I heard an announcement on the radio by the local public health person saying they absolutely don't have the personnel to enforce the "requirements," so they won't be. Can't wait to see who made it through. I'm hoping it's not just the chains.
Well, police don't have personnel (at least in my experience) to enforce crimes such as theft, but they don't announce that out loud.

I saw a picture of a guy wearing goggles, mask and face shield in an airport. Also, there was a great picture of a guy on an airplane wearing what looked like a gas mask type thing that was connected to a protective helmet - like the top of a hazmat suit.

I want a hazmat suit.
Amazon probably sells hazmat suits.

I saw a picture of a guy wearing goggles, mask and face shield in an airport. Also, there was a great picture of a guy on an airplane wearing what looked like a gas mask type thing that was connected to a protective helmet - like the top of a hazmat suit.

I want a hazmat suit.

There is always the "Tyrannosaurus Rex" full body suit! Amazon has several options.

:eek: Ugh. Time to go scavenge Dh’s piles of home improvement goodies. Must be some safety glasses in there. Jeez this just keeps better and better
I got a stye in my eyelid a few days ago. It's swollen, red and ugly. I'm hoping it'll be cleared up before I go for groceries on Tuesday. Actually, maybe everyone will stay 6 feet away from me. I don't think it's COVID related since I get them occasionally anyhow. But strangers don't know that.

Stuck on cruise ships during pandemic, crews beg to go home

By ADRIANA GOMEZ LICON and GUILLERMO GARAT, Associated Press
20 hrs ago
MIAMI (AP) — Carolina Vásquez lost track of days and nights, unable to see the sunlight while stuck for two weeks in a windowless cruise ship cabin as a fever took hold of her body.
On the worst night of her encounter with COVID-19, the Chilean woman, a line cook on the Greg Mortimer ship, summoned the strength to take a cold shower fearing the worst: losing consciousness while isolated from others.

Vásquez, 36, and tens of thousands of other crew members have been trapped for weeks aboard dozens of cruise ships around the world — long after governments and cruise lines negotiated their passengers' disembarkation. Some have gotten ill and died; others have survived but are no longer getting paid.

Both national and local governments have stopped crews from disembarking in order to prevent new cases of COVID-19 in their territories. Some of the ships, including 20 in U.S. waters, have seen infections and deaths among the crew. But most ships have had no confirmed cases.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said last month that about 80,000 crew members remained on board ships off the U.S. coast after most passengers had disembarked. The Coast Guard said Friday that there were still 70,000 crew members in 102 ships either anchored near or at U.S. ports or underway in U.S. waters.

Will our California based Bistro restaurant survive Covit-19?
Nope.

<modsnip: removed political commentary>

This combination is something we cannot overcome, no matter how many hours we work, or how many of our customers love us, or, the great reviews we get on social media will not be enough for us to stay in business OR continue to live in the very expensive State of California.
So, new huge chapter coming up for us. We have to walk away, and start over.
*everything I've written here is my sole opinion.
You have been thinking more and more of retirement. Perhaps time to make a contingency plan?

Stuck on cruise ships during pandemic, crews beg to go home

By ADRIANA GOMEZ LICON and GUILLERMO GARAT, Associated Press
20 hrs ago
MIAMI (AP) — Carolina Vásquez lost track of days and nights, unable to see the sunlight while stuck for two weeks in a windowless cruise ship cabin as a fever took hold of her body.
On the worst night of her encounter with COVID-19, the Chilean woman, a line cook on the Greg Mortimer ship, summoned the strength to take a cold shower fearing the worst: losing consciousness while isolated from others.

Vásquez, 36, and tens of thousands of other crew members have been trapped for weeks aboard dozens of cruise ships around the world — long after governments and cruise lines negotiated their passengers' disembarkation. Some have gotten ill and died; others have survived but are no longer getting paid.

Both national and local governments have stopped crews from disembarking in order to prevent new cases of COVID-19 in their territories. Some of the ships, including 20 in U.S. waters, have seen infections and deaths among the crew. But most ships have had no confirmed cases.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said last month that about 80,000 crew members remained on board ships off the U.S. coast after most passengers had disembarked. The Coast Guard said Friday that there were still 70,000 crew members in 102 ships either anchored near or at U.S. ports or underway in U.S. waters.

This is ridiculous. Do they have enough food and hygiene supplies? Clean clothes? Jmo

Will our California based Bistro restaurant survive Covit-19?
Nope.

<modsnip: removed political commentary>

This combination is something we cannot overcome, no matter how many hours we work, or how many of our customers love us, or, the great reviews we get on social media will not be enough for us to stay in business OR continue to live in the very expensive State of California.
So, new huge chapter coming up for us. We have to walk away, and start over.
*everything I've written here is my sole opinion.
Kali, come to New Mexico, The Land of Enchantment. I relocated here from Massachusetts 13 years ago.

The UK with approx 60 million has peaked at way less than 115 per million ( peak was approx 15 deaths per day per million population approx) so that seems really high.
My interpretation of the Stanford methodology (in following link) is peak deaths are dependent on herd immunity achieved as well as conditions in 2nd wave. Most experts believe there is a possibility that virus will become more transmissible. See my recent post by Francois Belloux. Clearly, Stanford is demonstrating a more impactful second wave.

The Stanford believes that very little herd immunity as been achieved because NY is only demonstrating 21% and they were hardest hit.

Click on "original paper" in link to see the paper.
Extended Results COVID-19

UK second wave is much much higher than the first wave also in this model. See attached. At only opening 50%, and dependent on herd immunity levels:

Low immunity- 190 deaths per million per day
High immunity- 40 deaths per million per day
67 million population

Low. 190 x 67 = 12,730 deaths per day at peak
High. 40 x 67 = 2,680 deaths per day at peak

At 25% opening, the deaths are at zero. Not much room for error.

Frankly IMO, this substantiates why UK moved away from their herd immunity idea. They really don't have much room for opening....

Attachments

• ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_09_15_47_22_286.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_09_15_47_22_286.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
"Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated....The more we learn about the coronavirus, the more questions arise. We are learning while we are sailing. That’s why I get so annoyed by the many commentators on the sidelines who, without much insight, criticize the scientists and policymakers trying hard to get the epidemic under control."

‘Finally, a virus got me.’ Scientist who fought Ebola and HIV reflects on facing death from COVID-19 | Science | AAAS

Stanford forecast shows Indiana just rolling from wave 1 to wave 2.........
Depending on the level of herd immunity so far, peak of wave 2 is forecast at the following if only open at 50% of normal....

Low immunity levels. 180 deaths per million people/ day
High immunity levels. 50 deaths per million

7 million population
Low. Immunity 180 x 7 = 1,260 deaths per day
High immunity 50 x 7 = 350 deaths per day

Attachments

• ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_09_15_26_54_827.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_09_15_26_54_827.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 4
Yes, indeed. And my dad, who was a major road trip kind of guy, used to say after going all over the nation, that "California has everything you need." We've got the sandstone landscapes, the granite mountains, giant forests, coastal redwoods, deserts, etc., etc.

But, like him, I yearn to wander a bit. I've always wanted to visit the Canadian Rockies again, but now that looks like it will be quite the wait.

Montana and Wyoming are both amazing. And Utah never ceases to beckon, no matter how many times we go. Once we're outside of Las Vegas, from Mesquite on up through any part of Utah, it's just amazing. We really like the desert (to drive through it, it's serene) but the Los Angeles to Vegas trip really isn't that great. Of course right now, Las Vegas would be hard to visit (apparently not a lot of social distancing by the locals), but it doesn't take long to get to Utah.

Utah has some of the best social distancing measures going on, for many reasons. If you just avoid Salt Lake, you could do a trip soon.

But if you can get yourself to Yellowstone National Park sometime, you'll love it.

Meanwhile yes, I do dream of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and all the history and the leaves turning color and the little towns and churches and bridges.
You might not want to hear this, but I've been to every state. Young and restless one. (That was years ago before kids and grandkids.)

Kali, come to New Mexico, The Land of Enchantment. I relocated here from Massachusetts 13 years ago.
New Mexico has a much better situation for a second wave based on the Stanford model. Although it rolls immediately from wave 1 to wave 2, the peaks are lower than other states.

At 50% opening:
Low immunity. 30 deaths per million per day
High immunity. 5 deaths per mil per day
2.5 mil population

Low. 30 × 2.5 = 75 deaths per day at peak
High 5 x 2.5 = 13 deaths per day at peak

Attachments

• ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_09_15_41_22_707.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_09_15_41_22_707.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
New Mexico has a much better situation for a second wave based on the Stanford model. Although it rolls immediately from wave 1 to wave 2, the peaks are lower than other states.

At 50% opening:
Low immunity. 30 deaths per million per day
High immunity. 5 deaths per mil per day
2.5 mil population

Low. 30 × 2.5 = 75 deaths per day at peak
High 5 x 2.5 = 13 deaths per day at peak

Thank you my friend for posting this. Wide open spaces and friendly, caring folks is a great plus. Not to mention the beautiful blue skies and low cost of living.

Most people are very careful, but they are going out for groceries or to work. It is highly contagious, lives on many surfaces for up to 72 hours. It can come from the mail.

In 1918, the mayor of a town knew the virus was coming closer so he put "quarantine" signs on all roads into town even though no one was sick. The only person who came and left every day was the postman. Everyone in the town got sick. (ref:1918 Documentary posted earlier)

BBM. I think if that was remotely true, postal workers would be seeing a very high rate of infection. That doesn't seem to be happening in the U.S.

Mark Inglett, a Postal Service spokesman, said federal officials don’t believe there’s a high risk of the coronavirus spreading through the mail.

He noted that the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said COVID-19 is thought to spread primarily from person to person through respiratory droplets that enter the mouth, nose or lungs.

Omaha postal service employee tests positive for coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members