Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Monitoring travelers was labor-intensive and limited by incomplete information, volume of travelers, and potential for asymptomatic transmission,” the report said. “Health departments need to weigh the resources needed for monitoring against those needed for implementing mitigation activities during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

According to the report, between Feb. 3 and Mar. 17, California officials received, corrected, and transmitted information on 11,574 travelers to local health jurisdictions for follow-up. The report said three travelers were matched to three of the 26,182 patients with COVID-19 reported to California by April 15.

The report said more efficient methods of collecting passenger data, such as transferring flight manifests electronically from airlines to federal officials who could then provide the information to states, would help local health boards quickly reach out to travelers at risk. And that, in turn, would lead to timely testing, case identification and the faster launching contact tracing investigations, according to the CDC.
International travel also factored into the early spread of the disease in Massachusetts, when a Biogen leadership conference in Boston in late February drew about 175 company executives from locations around the United States and the world to the Marriott Long Wharf Hotel.

At least 99 people — some who attended a Biogen leadership meeting on Feb. 26 and 27, and others who had contact with them afterward — were later confirmed to have caught the virus.

Biogen announced last month that it had joined a consortium that plans to build a collection of biological and medical data about the virus.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has had a very direct, very personal impact on our Biogen community,” said Dr. Maha Radhakrishnan, chief medical officer for Biogen, at the time of the April announcement. “We are uniquely positioned to contribute to advancing COVID-19 science in an organized and deliberate way so we can all gain a better understanding of this virus."
Calif. health officials encountered difficulty tracking international travelers at start of coronavirus pandemic, CDC says - The Boston Globe

Last edited:

The president of Tanzania didn't trust the World Health Organization, so he had fake test samples sent to labs. He took samples from papaya fruits, sheep, goats, and other things. They all came back positive for corona virus.

Africa disease centre rejects Tanzania's allegation that its coronavirus tests faulty

Africa disease centre rejects Tanzania's allegation that its coronavirus tests faulty

Giulia Paravicini

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - The head of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday rejected an assertion by Tanzania’s president that coronavirus tests it supplied are faulty.

On Sunday, Tanzanian President John Magufuli said the imported test kits were faulty after they had returned positive results on a goat and a pawpaw - among several non-human samples submitted for testing, with technicians left deliberately unaware of their origins.

The next day, the head of the national health laboratory in charge of testing was suspended. The president did not say why the authorities had been initially suspicious of the tests.

Last edited:
WOW. Frankly I believe the president of Tanzania. Why would he make up such a story?

The president of Tanzania didn't trust the World Health Organization, so he had fake test samples sent to labs. He took samples from papaya fruits, sheep, goats, and other things. They all came back positive for corona virus.

Giulia Paravicini

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - The head of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday rejected an assertion by Tanzania’s president that coronavirus tests it supplied are faulty.

On Sunday, Tanzanian President John Magufuli said the imported test kits were faulty after they had returned positive results on a goat and a pawpaw - among several non-human samples submitted for testing, with technicians left deliberately unaware of their origins.

The next day, the head of the national health laboratory in charge of testing was suspended. The president did not say why the authorities had been initially suspicious of the tests.

NEGATIVE Covid 19 test! I’m not that surprised though as I haven’t run any fever since Saturday night, never really had an awful headache (just leg pain!) and no cough etc. Still told to isolate for 14 days. 11 days to go but I do feel better, for which I am thankful.
That is wonderful news @MsArk . Stay safe.

At least 15 cases of the virus have been confirmed in Shulan, China, prompting officials to quarantine 290 people connected to the outbreak, enforce martial law and lock down the northeastern city.
Meanwhile, South Korea, which eased social distancing requirements last week, saw a spike of cases linked to nightclubs in Seoul. But authorities cautioned that it did not suggest a second wave of the pandemic was beginning.
Bars and clubs have been temporarily closed in Seoul in response to the new outbreak that has been traced to one confirmed patient who visited a slew of establishments. People who had visited bars in the popular nightclub district Itaewon have been asked to self-isolate for 14 days, regardless of whether they show symptoms, and be tested.

President Moon Jae-in said it was a reminder that even though the spread of the virus has been controlled, it can re-emerge at any time, especially around enclose, crowded spaces.
New COVID-19 infections in Asia raises alarm over second wave

WOW. Frankly I believe the president of Tanzania. Why would he make up such a story?

Because he's being criticized for his response and is trying to push an herbal tea as a cure? Why wouldn't he want to discredit the tests that make him and his choices look bad? And just what part of the papaya did he extract samples from - that's my real question o_O? From the BBC. Tanzania to import coronavirus 'herbal cure'

Mr Magufuli has already been widely criticised for his reaction to the coronavirus pandemic.

He has encouraged the public to continue gathering in places of worship, while much of the world has faced lockdown.

Tanzania's delay in enforcing stricter measures to prevent further spread of coronavirus in the country could have led to the spike in positive cases, according to the WHO.

The country has 480 confirmed cases of coronavirus but Mr Magufuli said that number may be exaggerated and that he doubted the credibility of the national laboratory.

He probably didn't. However if PCR machinery (that tests the swab) is not familiar to lots of new lab techs, then that would be another variable than test kit faultiness.

Students who are beginning to learn how to put human cells into the PCR machines do make mistakes. Cross-contamination is very real. Since nearly everywhere, lots of new lab technicians had to be hired, the learning curve is a factor.

PCR machines are not everywhere, usually, there are only 4-5 techs using one machine (if that). But if a ramp-up in testing speed is desired, obviously, you'd hire more techs.

He probably didn't. However if PCR machinery (that tests the swab) is not familiar to lots of new lab techs, then that would be another variable than test kit faultiness.

Students who are beginning to learn how to put human cells into the PCR machines do make mistakes. Cross-contamination is very real. Since nearly everywhere, lots of new lab technicians had to be hired, the learning curve is a factor.

PCR machines are not everywhere, usually, there are only 4-5 techs using one machine (if that). But if a ramp-up in testing speed is desired, obviously, you'd hire more techs.
I'll believe it when he gives us some real documentation on exactly how he collected samples. I don't think it's forthcoming - he doesn't sound like a science guy. JMO.

Oh. Thank you for that information. I was not aware. Sheesh, these "leaders" are coo coo nuts.

Because he's being criticized for his response and is trying to push an herbal tea as a cure? Why wouldn't he want to discredit the tests that make him and his choices look bad? And just what part of the papaya did he extract samples from - that's my real question o_O? From the BBC. Tanzania to import coronavirus 'herbal cure'

Mr Magufuli has already been widely criticised for his reaction to the coronavirus pandemic.

He has encouraged the public to continue gathering in places of worship, while much of the world has faced lockdown.

Tanzania's delay in enforcing stricter measures to prevent further spread of coronavirus in the country could have led to the spike in positive cases, according to the WHO.

The country has 480 confirmed cases of coronavirus but Mr Magufuli said that number may be exaggerated and that he doubted the credibility of the national laboratory.

I'm sure I live in an alternate world.
In the three days following Carnival's announcement that it'll resume some trips in August, a booking company told TMZ it saw a 600% increase in volume compared to the three days before the announcement. That's also a 200% increase over the same period last year.
Source: Morning Brew

In the three days following Carnival's announcement that it'll resume some trips in August, a booking company told TMZ it saw a 600% increase in volume compared to the three days before the announcement. That's also a 200% increase over the same period last year.
Insane! Majority of these folks will need to travel by air as well to get to Port. Which will IMO contribute to a increased 2nd wave.

My son has friends who just booked a cruise in August. They have a 4yr old.
That's 50 shades of DUMB if you ask me!
Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads