Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus: Boris Johnson to announce zoos can reopen in latest easing of lockdown

Zoos and safari parks will be allowed to reopen next week, in the latest moves to relax coronavirus lockdown rules being announced by Boris Johnson.

Bowing to pressure from MPs, animal-lovers and conservationists - including his own father Stanley - the prime minister will declare that zoos can reopen from next Monday, 15 June.

Outdoor attractions where people stay in their cars, such as safari parks and drive-in cinemas, will also be allowed to reopen from Monday, given the low risk of coronavirus transmission.

‘Are you immune?’ The new class system that could shape the Covid-19 world

Experts suspect – but there is no proof – that antibodies will confer immunity. The implications could be wide-ranging

Scrolling through Airbnbs in Brooklyn, one listing stands out. “IMMUNE HOST,” claims the heading in caps. Among photos of rooftop sunsets and interiors, lies something else unexpected – a picture of a positive antibody test.

Host Martin Eaton says he got tested a few weeks after getting sick with what he suspected was Covid-19 in March. When the results came back positive, he decided to include it in his profile to attract reservations.

“If I was having to travel to New York I’d prefer staying with somebody who had the antibodies versus somebody who didn’t,” says the 48-year-old writer. So far, he adds, “it’s proved pretty successful”.

In the absence of a vaccine, immunity is emerging as a potential key to resuming normal life after the pandemic – leading some to believe that testing positive may not be such a bad thing. Providing they survive, they will at least - they hope - be immune. But as states and countries slowly reopen businesses to the public, how important will it be?

Questions remain over the accuracy of Covid-19 antibody tests and the World Health Organization has warned that there is no evidence that people who have recovered from the virus and have antibodies are protected from getting it a second time.

But experts predict that if survivors are found to be immune, they could perform a range of jobs and services – such as volunteering in hospitals and nursing homes, caring for coronavirus patients and working in shops and food processing plants – risk-free. And, depending on how authorities, business and society at large respond, they could also be entitled to greater freedoms.

(...)

Providing there is a way to certify that people have had the test, that it was effective and that the antibodies last, Dr Ezekiel J Emanuel, chairman of the department of medical ethics and health policy at the University of Pennsylvania, says immunity passports could have “real positives” for both the patient and the wider community.

He also believes it will become necessary for travel – even after a vaccine – to prove immunity and as a means to skip quarantine. “Showing that you’ve been infected and are immune and can’t transmit the virus is a really powerful mechanism.”

(...)

Such are the perceived benefits of immunity that some people are intentionally trying to get the potentially deadly virus.

Dr Jerome Williams Jr, cardiologist and senior vice-president of consumer engagement at Novant Health, says they have had multiple people test positive in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, after attending “coronavirus parties” – gathering unprotected with positive people – in the hope of getting infected.

Without knowing exactly how immunity works, the parties are, he says, “a bad idea all round”.

(...)

During the 19th century in the American south, yellow fever – which had a 50% death rate – created an “epidemiological hierarchy” of those who had and had not had it, says Kathryn Olivarius, assistant professor of history at Stanford University.

This, she adds, created “immunocapital” that affected newly arrived white people’s ability to get jobs, homes and insurance policies, which meant they had little option but to try to get infected.

Olivarius fears a similar situation could be created today if employers start hiring only people with antibodies. “I’m worried we’ll develop this system, the haves of immunity, the have-nots, it sounds science fictional almost.”

Immune status could also result in discrimination. Last month, it was revealed that the US military was considering banning people who had been hospitalised by coronavirus from enlisting – guidance it has since walked back.

There is, Olivarius warns, “a fine line between privilege and stigma”. “Even if there are benefits to being immune potentially, like being able to work, maybe later immunity could turn into a kind of stigmatised status.”

(More at link)

‘Are you immune?’ The new class system that could shape the Covid-19 world

My City held a protest last Friday. I saw the photos. Clusters of people, some in masks......currently we have only 5 active cases and 1 of the 5 in Hospital. We shall see what the next few weeks show. Moving to Phase 2 this Friday. Salons opening, camping, beaches, patio dining only etc. My Stylist called and I have an appt. for this Monday. I am satisfied with the precautions he will take and also what is expected of me. Typically I go upstairs to the Spa for brow tint and wax. That has not opened and I would not be comfortable with it anyway. They will put some of my hair glaze color on my brows and hubby can tweeze when I get home LOL. I'm not good with a brow pencil. At all.

I have not had fast food since March and went to Chick fil A today since I’ve been getting email updates from the one I usually frequented prior to the pandemic.

Talked about all the safety precautions.

I pulled up to the drive thru line and my mouth dropped open.
There were 8 employees out there and only ONE had a mask on properly.
Most were pushed down past their mouths on their chins.
The one inside handing the bags out the window had her mask pushed down also and her face was inches away from everyone’s food bag.
I left without ordering.
I was so disappointed.
Maybe my expectations are too high.

Thanks for the info about Chic Fil A-- We don't usually eat there but our son in law loves it. Every time we drive by the place the drive thru is almost a block long- we were going to try it but the line was too long: with the info you provided, i won't be going there for sure.

My Dad always called IHop the worst restaurant in the Western Hemisphere, but my wife wanted to go a couple weeks ago. They cordoned off some booths and had a sign asking people to respect others. It was fine and I cleaned my plate. May go back Saturday!

That is funny- about your dad calling I HOP the worst restaurant in the Western Hemisphere: i love their pancakes: i usually get chocolate pancakes with extra cream cheese frosting: it is actually more like dessert!!! As much as i would like to go in to the restaurant, I just don't feel comfortable doing so- there-- or any restaurant. Glad that you and your wife enjoyed breakfast there!!!!

4 main factors determine your risk of getting the coronavirus in any situation. Here's how daily activities stack up.

Four factors raise your risk of catching the virus: enclosed spaces, crowds, close contact with others, and difficulty social distancing.

568641022a52cf5282d616949468faec

ALSO:
6 key factors to consider when determining your risk of catching the coronavirus in any situation

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's exactly the problem, as I see it now.

How are people going to believer the authorities about needing to be locked down, after we saw thousands marching in the streets shoulder to shoulder, screaming, for hours at a time.

The politicians were arresting people here in Cali for sitting on the beach while socially distancing, with your family.

And days later, these same politicians are enthusiastically supporting the marches, which are much more likely to spread CV across greater numbers and in a greater area.

So NOW people don't believe the politicians when they say 'get back inside.'

IMO,this is going to be devastating and it shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Political correctness wins the day- isn't that sad? nobody came out and told those protesters clearly-- you are endangering your life and others if you continue these protests---they probably would not have listened anyway but our leaders have a duty to lead AND IN THIS PANDEMIC WE HAVE NO LEADERSHIP--

Political correctness wins the day- isn't that sad? nobody came out and told those protesters clearly-- you are endangering your life and others if you continue these protests---they probably would not have listened anyway but our leaders have a duty to lead AND IN THIS PANDEMIC WE HAVE NO LEADERSHIP--
They have been told they can get covid and get tested for covid. Clearly they are aware as at least some were wearing masks.

Coronavirus in Scotland - 4,000 deaths & hospital cases fall - BBC News

Summary
  1. The latest National Records of Scotland statistics show that 4,000 people have died in Scotland with Covid-19
  2. The figure relating to fatalities where coronavirus was mentioned on the death certificate is calculated up to Sunday, 7 June
  3. It does not include the 19 deaths which were announced for Tuesday and Wednesday this week
  4. The number of patients in hospital falls below 1,000 with 18 in intensive care
  5. Between 28 May and 7 June, 741 contacts were traced in relation to 681 positive cases of Covid-19.
  6. These are the first figures released in relation to the new Test and Protect System
  7. ScotRail says it can't guarantee passengers will be able to physically distance at all stages of a journey
  8. Driving instructors say a lack of clear information has led to confusion for them and learners

They have been told they can get covid and get tested for covid. Clearly they are aware as at least some were wearing masks.

It's all part of hysteria mixed with short attention spans. Out niece was constantly hectoring us about not taking Covid seriously enough - she was a real Pandemic Warrior. Then the next thing happened and she was downtown protesting. It will be the height of irony if she gets sick and we don't. After all, her cloth mask was designed to protect others, not her.

I see my State (AZ) has made national headlines. Interesting that the other States mentioned as showing "disturbing" trends are those that don't report "probable" cases, while we do. So AZ is not this outlier, yet got picked up by the media (with the help of Banner's PR machine), so we will be scapegoats. Fact remains that every place that reopens is going to experience the same thing. Either commit to staying closed for years or face reality.

Interesting article about the virus origins in UK.

Coronavirus came to UK 'at least 1,300 times'

"The surprising and exciting conclusion is that we found the UK epidemic has resulted from a very large number of separate importations," said Prof Nick Loman, from Cog-UK and the University of Birmingham.

"It wasn't a patient zero," he added.

The study showed that less than 0.1% of those imported cases came directly from China. Instead the UK's coronavirus epidemic was largely initiated by travel from Italy in late February, Spain in early-to-mid-March and then France in mid-to-late-March.

"The big surprise for us was how fluid the process was, the rate of and source of virus introduction shifted rapidly over the course of only a few weeks," said Prof Oliver Pybus, from the University of Oxford.

Cases that started outbreak mostly came from Europe
80% occurred from 28 Feb-29 Mar

(See graph in link)

Source: COG-UK consortium
"This happened later than perhaps we would have expected," added Prof Loman.

The study estimates 80% of those initial cases arrived in the country between 28 Feb and 29 March - the time the UK was debating whether to lockdown.

After this point, the number of new imported cases diminished rapidly.

The earliest one could be traced back to the beginning of February, but it is possible there were cases even earlier that could not be picked up by the analysis.

The study also says the controversial football match between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid, on 11 March, probably had very little impact on bringing the virus into the country.

An estimated 3,000 fans flew in from Spain to watch the game, but there were 20,000 people flying in from Spain every single day in mid-March.

See more at link.

So lockdown one week earlier would have made no difference IMO.

I feel like I am part of one big experiment ATM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member