Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
David was a fit and healthy 17-year-old when struck down by a mystery coronavirus-linked disease

David was a fit and healthy 17-year-old when struck down by a mystery coronavirus-linked disease

2 hrs ago
It turned out David had developed a new, rare, but serious condition that is believed to be linked to COVID-19 called Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (MIS-C), which so far has seemed to only affect children and young people, often several weeks after exposure to the coronavirus.

The symptoms are similar to Toxic Shock Syndrome and Kawasaki disease: fever, rash, low blood pressure and stomach pain.

Doctors believe it is an immune response from the body that affects different organs, including the heart, and it has been fatal in a small number of cases.
"We believe it is an abnormal inflammatory response in patients who have been exposed to COVID," said Dr Ofori-Amanfo, the head of Paediatric Critical Care Medicine at Mount Sinai, who was one of the doctors who treated David.

Every case a challenge
The new condition has puzzled doctors in the regions where it emerged in April — New York, London, Northern Italy — as children and young people had previous been less affected by the virus than older people.

"This took us by surprise, because everything we knew about COVID was that it was a mild disease in children," Dr Ofori-Amanfo told 7.30.

Hugs to you too. I have my DH to commiserate with and he sees the same things I see. But he has to go to his office everyday and works at a cubicle in a big room where the windows don't open. His employer takes temps at the door and provides everyone 1 mask per week to wear for the entire week. But they do not require everyone to wear the masks at all times. They only have to wear them when lining up to pick up their lunch (provided free by the employer and everyone is banned from leaving to eat away from work now but DH takes his own lunch now to avoid the line up altogether). Or they have to wear a mask when in close contact in a group or in a smaller room with others, like for a board meeting. He says everyone takes them off while sitting at their cubicle desks, which is useless IMHO. And one of his co-workers is deaf and depends on reading lips, so DH has to take off his mask every time he needs to talk to that person.

We have started sleeping in separate bedrooms and using separate bathrooms ever since he had to go back to the office-- they let him work from home for 6 weeks but then told him he had to go back in after that. We're hoping that if he gets it we might have a chance with us sleeping apart that I won't get infected before he develops symptoms and can be tested. But we're probably not doing enough because we are not completely quarantining him like the healthcare workers that are quarantining from their vulnerable family members. We tried it for a week and we can't. I need regular hugs and physical contact to get through this or I would lose my mind, LOL. I also can't avoid the shared parts of the house (living room/kitchen/home office) but I wash my hands and sanitize often touched surfaces constantly. I'm so busy cleaning and tending my garden these days I'm hardly posting on WS anymore, LOL.

We do have plans in place for if one of us gets sick and we have to quarantine more fully. We have a room set up in our unfinished basement. If one of us gets sick we will sleep in a tent on an air mattress down there. There is a full bathroom in the basement and a second washer and dryer down there and we set up a mini kitchen with a microwave, fridge and coffeemaker. It won't be super comfortable (no bed and the only furniture is lawn chairs, LOL) but if someone has to quarantine down there for a couple weeks we can stock it with enough food and they can wash their own clothing and have their own bathroom. We would stay completely separate if one of us got it. Also there are no HVAC vents down there so we don't have to worry about it going through shared air ducts. I think we have thought of everything we need to hunker down for a good long while at home. But it's useless if the rest of the world insists on getting corona and spreading it around recklessly. I still have to grocery shop every 2 weeks (with full PPE). Some of DH's coworkers already got it early on in the pandemic. It's like a ticking time bomb. He's too young to retire and he loves his job. All his coworkers have young kids at home. Once this spreads through the kids going back to school or having parties it will spread to DH's coworkers and then it will likely spread to us via DH's job. Should I live as a prisoner in my own home, locked in one room and wearing a mask constantly around my DH because the world refuses to social distance/wear masks and my DH has to make a living to support us? No, it's impossible. What's so hard about asking people to wear masks and keep their distance in public? It's such a small request that could save many lives. I'm doing all I can to protect myself and those I love. Short of moving to New Zealand, I don't know what else to do except cry and pray. I've come to the point where I say: "Here I stand, I can do no other. God help me, Amen."

MOO.

ETA: Also meant to mention we are taking vitamin D. We watch Dr Campbell every night and we're keeping up to date on the research/new data as much as possible.

You are the perfect candidate for the heparin spray (the reasons it works has to do with the cellular entry point of Sars-Coronavirus-2 virions, and the reason the nasal spray is so promising is that it affects the initial points of entry, allows the body to build antibodies, slows the disease a bit - and doesn't have the side effects of heparin in pill form). This is of course if your doctor says you are not at risk for using heparin!

My next post after that posted a link that said they are going back one day a week. Is that not correct?
I think they're still hashing out the details. I have seen suggestions in the media that kids will only go back one or two days a week initially but that's based on preliminary discussions as far as I know. Nothing has been formally announced yet. Except for the fact that schools won't reopen until August at the earliest.

For a safer community, many accept longer restrictioms, as they become a way of life, at present.

Black Lives Matter protests could delay easing of COVID-19 restrictions by more than a week and cost the Australian economy $1BILLION

Black Lives Matter protests could delay easing of COVID-19 restrictions by more than a week and cost the Australian economy $1BILLION

Kylie Stevens For Daily Mail Australia
5 hrs ago
The removal of lockdown restrictions to help kickstart Australia's crippled economy could be delayed by at least a week by the Black Lives Matter protests.

Thousands flouted social distancing rules when they flocked to mass protests across the nation on Saturday to take a stand for the rights of indigenous Australians in the wake of George Floyd's death in the U.S.
But it may come at a $1billion cost to the economy and delay a return to work for thousands of Australians.

The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee believes it will take up to a fortnight to assess whether the protests have caused a fresh outbreak of new cases.
New South Wales was the only state to record new coronavirus cases on Tuesday with two returned overseas travellers who tested positive.

There were zero community transmitted cases across the entire country.

The National Cabinet was expected to update its three-stage COVID-19 road map when it meets this Friday and fast-track plans to reopen the economy.

But any plans to rapidly scale back of social restrictions will likely be put on hold to monitor the impact of the mass protests have on coronavirus cases in the coming weeks, The Australian has been told.
'What we want to do is to get Australians back to what we call a better normal,' federal health minister Greg Hunt told the publication.

At my work everybody is supposed to wear masks all day when near other people. Those are the rules.
I agree with the mask wearing. I myself would feel better having to work near people. How about you? How many would choose not to if it wasn't a rule I wonder? Would you still wear one? I think I would want to, I couldn't function thinking the virus could be lurking.

China dismisses 'ridiculous' report suggesting Covid-19 could have been circulating in the country last summer after study found surge in traffic at Wuhan hospitals from August

China dismisses 'ridiculous' report suggesting Covid-19 could have been circulating in the country last summer after study found surge in traffic at Wuhan hospitals from August

Alice Cachia For Mailonline
10 hrs ago
Chinese officials have slammed an 'incredibly ridiculous' report that suggests coronavirus may have been spreading in the country as early as August last year.

The dismissal came a day after a study revealed a surge in road traffic outside Wuhan hospitals at the end of last summer - coupled with an increase in internet searches for coronavirus-like symptoms - that suggested Covid-19 may have hit China before autumn.

That is far earlier than has ever been speculated before.
BB15eVtT.img

© Provided by Daily Mail
OCTOBER 2019: The same aerial shot a year later reveals that this figure rose to 640 cars - a jump of more than 26 per cent

The new study, from Harvard Medical School led by Dr John Brownstein, analysed commercial satellite imagery.

His team 'observed a dramatic increase in hospital traffic outside five major Wuhan hospitals beginning late summer and early fall 2019'.

He said the traffic surge 'coincided' with a rise in internet searches for symptoms that are 'closely associated' with coronavirus, ABC News reported.

The study findings said 'hospital traffic and symptom search data in Wuhan preceded the documented start of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in December 2019'.

And if people start acting as if everything was back to normal, covid cases will rise-they already are rising in many states.

But this is reality. The only reason the initial lock ups were supported was because they had a relatively short time limit (and an extra $600/wk unemployment). If we had been told to stay home for two years until there is a vaccine, we'd all be having this conversation three months ago. I have friends in Illinois and from where I am, I feel like the are living in Handmaid's Tale - they still can't eat inside a restaurant. And the joke is what do they think is going to happen when they loosen the screws? The exact same thing that's happening here, and every other state that reopened. The fact is we are not tripping over bodies in the street. Hospitals must not be getting bonus dollars for labeling a victim of a car accident as a Covid death, so now they're raising a false alarm about capacity.

I have friends and family that took their Covid-hysteria to extreme lengths and it's not healthy. There's going to be a large market for Cognitive Behavioral Therapists in the near future.

A permanent lock up is unsustainable, as is doing this every couple of months. If you don't want to get sick, don't go out. If you don't want to get in an accident, don't drive, etc.

Can we not start with ridiculous conspiracy theories that hospitals are labeling car crush victims as covid victims to get money? I know plenty of people who actually got covid, while some here act as if it doesn't exist.

This is what countries may achieve with tight restrictions and many folk following advice.

Australia records zero new locally transmitted coronavirus cases

Australia records zero new locally transmitted coronavirus cases

Sky News Australia
3 hrs ago
Australia has reached a milestone with zero new locally acquired cases of coronavirus, believed to be the first time since the peak of the pandemic.

Two new infections were reported nationally but belonged to two travellers under quarantine in New South Wales hotels.

Only seven cases of local transmission have been reported in the country in the past week

I agree with the mask wearing. I myself would feel better having to work near people. How about you? How many would choose not to if it wasn't a rule I wonder? Would you still wear one? I think I would want to, I couldn't function thinking the virus could be lurking.
Oh absolutely I am going to wear a mask.

Thought you might like to see the general mask wearing rules by State.

June 9, 2020

Facing Your Face Mask Duties – A List of Statewide Orders, as of June 9, 2020

Numerous jurisdictions have encouraged—or mandated—citizens to wear face coverings when out in public, especially when social distancing cannot be maintained effectively. Some directives also obligate employers to provide masks to their employees.

This post, current as of June 9, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. (CDT), identifies the jurisdictions where face coverings are recommended or required. We will update this list regularly.

well now that we are back in Michigan my husband is going to golf
on league of mostly old men like him--it makes me nervous --of course
no masks---he said he will physically distance (sure)--i dont think it
is practical to have him use hand sanitizer much -- i told him whatever
he does, he must not touch his face--eyes, nose, mouth-that is the real
danger

Yaaaay nachos! CSIDreamer A few days ago I had a taco take home order that was my first restaurant to go order. I haven't been in a restaurant to dine yet. Heard from some people they had a good experience with how things were being made safer. Not sure where they were eatting and if all places are as careful.

Exactly! Thank you so much for helping us. I read a study 3 years ago about Vitamin D as anti-viral and the doctor advised 5000 IU in times of stress or epidemic. And as far as I can tell, that's nowhere near a too-high dose of D3, so that's pretty much what I take - and I have only gotten sick when directly sneezed on several times! (In 3.5 years, actually). I just added C and zinc since this epidemic. I'm also taking NAC.

I've been talking about the nasal heparin so much - and as I'm changing doctors, I get to ask questions about it up front. I haven't tried Pepcid either. I guess if I were going out more, I might. OTOH, one of its regular effects is to protect the stomach lining - so I do see the point.
Thanks for the info! I have Grave's Disease (currently in remission) and one of my daughters has Hashimoto's Disease - both are thyroid disorders - and we both tend to run low on Vitamin D. Daughter takes supplements and so far I haven't needed to but it reminds me that both of us should monitor it. She sees a doctor regularly but I haven't been since last year. Maybe I'll ask about getting a lab done.

At my work everybody is supposed to wear masks all day when near other people. Those are the rules.

I was just picking up pizza at Domino's. 10 employees, all running around a small pizza shop. No masks, zero Social Distancing. But, they did have a 3x3 square of plexiglas in front of the cash register. Nothing on the other sides.

Yaaaay nachos! CSIDreamer A few days ago I had a taco take home order that was my first restaurant to go order. I haven't been in a restaurant to dine yet. Heard from some people they had a good experience with how things were being made safer. Not sure where they were eatting and if all places are as careful.

I was in heaven. Everyone is super strict about social distancing in line. Or you can call in orders and pick them up. I want so badly to see how the local china buffet is doing orders. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase