Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which regions have been worst hit?

The South West has become the first region of England and Wales to see weekly deaths return to the range that would normally be expected, as the country continues to move beyond the worst weeks of the coronavirus pandemic.

In the latest figures released by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), the South West registered only 88 excess deaths in the week ending 22 May, compared to 807 excess deaths in the week ending 24 April.

Excess deaths refer to the number of registered deaths from all causes which are above the five-year average for that week of the year.

London, which was the epicentre of the pandemic in the UK, is also nearly back to normal levels. It recorded 215 excess deaths in the week ending 22 May (the ONS says nearly 90% mentioned Covid-19 on the death certificate).

The week ending 17 April was the worst week in the capital, with over 2,200 excess deaths.

_112651437_optimised-lon-nc.png

By the week ending 22 May, the North West, Yorkshire and the Humber, the West Midlands, the South East and the East of England all registered more excess deaths than the capital.

Most deprived areas
Separate ONS data released on 1 May shows that, once you take the age of population into account, the rate of deaths involving Covid-19 is roughly twice as high in the most deprived areas of England and Wales as in the least deprived.

"We know that people in more deprived areas are less likely to have jobs where they can work from home," said Helen Barnard from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

"This means they may have to face a very significant drop in income or keep going to work, facing greater risks of catching virus. They are also more likely to live in overcrowded homes, increasing the risk for whole families."

The data shows that the highest rates of deaths involving Covid-19 are in inner-city areas where lots of people live close together.

The majority of the highest age-standardised mortality rates are in London boroughs, such as Newham, Brent and Hackney.

_112076124_deathrates0105-nc.png

Other factors
Continued at link.

From the link in my previous posts I would like to highlight the following.

The data shows that the highest rates of deaths involving Covid-19 are in inner-city areas where lots of people live close together.

The majority of the highest age-standardised mortality rates are in London boroughs, such as Newham, Brent and Hackney.

_112076124_deathrates0105-nc.png

Here is a link to a report on the demographics of Newham, the top London Borough on that list.

https://hummedia.manchester.ac.uk › ...PDF
Web results
Geographies of diversity in Newham - University of Manchester

In Newham, no one ethnic group accounts for more than a fifth of the population. The White British (17%), Indian (14%), African (12%), Bangladeshi (12%) and Pakistani (10%) are the largest ethnic groups. (2011 statistics from the report)

There is also 12% White Non British so a total of 29% White 71% BAME.

Last edited:
Dr. Fauci says George Floyd protests provide ‘perfect recipe’ for new coronavirus surges

“As I sat in front of the TV and watched the screen go from Washington, D.C., to New York City, to Los Angeles, to Philadelphia, I got really concerned,” Fauci told the Sunday Times of London. “I was going, ‘Oh my goodness. I hope this doesn’t set us back a lot.’ [After] all of the work in trying to maintain the physical distance and doing all the things, I became very concerned that we might see a resurgence."

While some in the massive crowds have worn masks, others haven’t -- and no one is social distancing, he said.

The protests bring together people from different areas, many of them virus hotspots, Fauci said. The participants then return home and create a “perfect recipe” for a resurgence of the virus.

Chanting and yelling, as people typically do during protests, also increases the risk of spread, he said.

Dr. Fauci says George Floyd protests provide ‘perfect recipe’ for new coronavirus surges

“As I sat in front of the TV and watched the screen go from Washington, D.C., to New York City, to Los Angeles, to Philadelphia, I got really concerned,” Fauci told the Sunday Times of London. “I was going, ‘Oh my goodness. I hope this doesn’t set us back a lot.’ [After] all of the work in trying to maintain the physical distance and doing all the things, I became very concerned that we might see a resurgence."

While some in the massive crowds have worn masks, others haven’t -- and no one is social distancing, he said.

The protests bring together people from different areas, many of them virus hotspots, Fauci said. The participants then return home and create a “perfect recipe” for a resurgence of the virus.

Chanting and yelling, as people typically do during protests, also increases the risk of spread, he said.

You know what fries my chops? epidemiologists saying that protesting in the streets is more important than staying home and safe. Well, good for them or him, or her, that said such a stupid thing. In the time of a pandemic i cannot think of anything more horrible to witness than thousands of people screaming and yelling in the streets shoulder to shoulder -- many without masks: i think it is negligent of these so-called experts to state such a thing. Dr. Fauci isn't saying that: he is very concerned.

Suddenly, Public Health Officials Say Social Justice Matters More Than Social Distance

You know what fries my chops? epidemiologists saying that protesting in the streets is more important than staying home and safe. Well, good for them or him, or her, that said such a stupid thing. In the time of a pandemic i cannot think of anything more horrible to witness than thousands of people screaming and yelling in the streets shoulder to shoulder -- many without masks: i think it is negligent of these so-called experts to state such a thing. Dr. Fauci isn't saying that: he is very concerned.

Suddenly, Public Health Officials Say Social Justice Matters More Than Social Distance
Fries my chops?!! Love it, I'm borrowing that one.

Are you home safe now?

Fries my chops?!! Love it, I'm borrowing that one.

Are you home safe now?

I was just going to post - yes, we are finally home: Thought we'd never get here!!!
Now I am going to be counting the days , hoping I didn't contract the virus on our
journey---- thank you so much for asking!!! You guys really helped me get through that
stressful time. It was eye opening in many ways. You really see a swath of America (some of it you wish you didn't see LOL).

I was just going to post - yes, we are finally home: Thought we'd never get here!!!
Now I am going to be counting the days , hoping I didn't contract the virus on our
journey---- thank you so much for asking!!! You guys really helped me get through that
stressful time. It was eye opening in many ways. You really see a swath of America (some of it you wish you didn't see LOL).

Glad you are home!

Virus could mean boom or bust for Montana State this fall

This is interesting. And if I was a parent, looking at colleges for a graduating HS senior, I would definitely be giving colleges in Montana a look.
1. Very low Coronavirus rates
2. Zero to none civil unrest
3. Good value
4. Easy airline access to hubs

I think that Montana higher education may benefit from a lot of what has been going on. Montana is a safe, secure bubble from the rest of the country right now.

I read that the soccer teams are testing players and coaches before games, and they need to stay quarantined after the tests, until they finish the 2 week round of games. This is the only way to ensure that the players are safe.

This may be the only solution for Hollywood to go back to work. Testing the actors, crew, and keeping them quarantined while filming. Who knows? Maybe every new movie will be like "Castaway" an actor, a coconut, and a soccer ball. o_O
Watch out leading men and ladies. Might be the time for CG actors and actresses. Not sure that would work for cameramen and directors though. TV (main channels) have become a string of game shows and reruns. If anyone has watched previous seasons, new episodes of GrantChester start June 14th.

Coronavirus: Scotland reports no new COVID-19 deaths for first time since lockdown

Scotland has reported no new coronavirus deaths for the first time since lockdown began back in March.

The number remains at 2,415, according to the Scottish government's latest daily figures.

Total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Scotland rose by 18 to 15,621, with 646 patients currently in hospital with the disease - 16 of whom were in intensive care as of last night.

Since 5 March, 3,801 people who had the disease have also been able to leave hospital.

Scotland's health secretary urged caution in "reading too much into today's figures" and reminded people that the number of deaths reported at the weekend is often lower.

"It is still very likely further COVID deaths will be reported in the days ahead," said Jeane Freeman.

Northern Ireland has also posted no new deaths related to COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, keeping its total at 537, and recorded just six new cases.

Below is expert from Open Letter from 100s of Public Health officials in letter from link in this article:

Therefore, we propose the following guidance to support public health:
● Support local and state governments in upholding the right to protest and allow protesters to gather.
● Do not disband protests under the guise of maintaining public health for COVID-19 restrictions.
● Advocate that protesters not be arrested or held in confined spaces, including jails or police vans, which
are some of the highest-risk areas for COVID-19 transmission.
● Oppose any use of tear gas, smoke, or other respiratory irritants, which could increase risk for COVID-
19 by making the respiratory tract more susceptible to infection, exacerbating existing inflammation,
and inducing coughing.
● Demand that law enforcement officials also respect infection prevention recommendations by
maintaining distance from protesters and wearing masks.
● Reject messaging that face coverings are motivated by concealment and instead celebrate face
coverings as protective of the public’s health in the context of COVID-19.
● Prepare for an increased number of infections in the days following a protest. Provide increased access
to testing and care for people in the affected communities, especially when they or their family
members put themselves at risk by attending protests.
● Support the health of protesters by encouraging the following:
○ Use of face coverings.
○ Distance of at least 6 feet between protesters, where possible.
○ Demonstrating consistently alongside close contacts and moving together as a group, rather
than extensively intermingling with multiple groups.
○ Staying at home when sick, and using other platforms to oppose racism for high-risk individuals,
and those unable or uncomfortable to attend in person.

● Encourage allies who may wish to facilitate safe demonstrations through the following:
○ Providing masks, hand-washing stations, or hand sanitizer to demonstrators.
○ Providing eye protection, such as face shields or goggles, for protection against COVID-19 and
chemical irritants used to disperse crowds.
○ Bringing wrapped, single-serving food or beverages to sustain people protesting.
○ Providing chalk markings or other designations to encourage appropriate distancing between
protesters.
○ Supplying ropes, which can be knotted at 6-foot intervals, to allow people to march together
while maintaining spacing.
○ Donating to bail funds for protesters
● Listen, and prioritize the needs of Black people as expressed by Black voices.
These are strategies for harm reduction.

Virus could mean boom or bust for Montana State this fall

This is interesting. And if I was a parent, looking at colleges for a graduating HS senior, I would definitely be giving colleges in Montana a look.
1. Very low Coronavirus rates
2. Zero to none civil unrest
3. Good value
4. Easy airline access to hubs

I think that Montana higher education may benefit from a lot of what has been going on. Montana is a safe, secure bubble from the rest of the country right now.

Good option. But I wonder about tuition rates for out-of-state students?

Coronavirus: one death and 25 new cases in Ireland confirmed

Ireland

ONE FURTHER PERSON has died from Covid-19 in Ireland, the Department of Health confirmed this evening.

In a statement, it said that a further 25 cases of coronavirus have also been confirmed here, bringing the total number of cases to 25,201*.

The death toll from Covid-19 in Ireland is 1,679.

Today’s data from the HPSC, as of midnight, Friday 5 June (25,176 cases), reveals:

• Of confirmed cases, 57% are female and 43% are male
  • The median age of confirmed cases is 48 years
  • 3,321 cases (13%) have been hospitalised
  • Of those hospitalised, 409 cases have been admitted to ICU
  • 8,057 cases are associated with healthcare workers
  • Dublin has the highest number of cases at 12,139 (48% of all cases) followed by Cork with 1,529 cases (6%) and then Kildare with 1,428 cases (6%)
  • Of those for whom transmission status is known: community transmission accounts for 39%, close contact accounts for 59%, travel abroad accounts for 2%.

The country is due to enter Phase Two of re-opening tomorrow, with retail outlets permitted to open and groups to six allowed gather – as long as they socially distance – indoors and outdoors.

*Validation of data at the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) has resulted in the denotification of 7 confirmed cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025