Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So 30% cases “are associated with healthcare workers” is that right? My math must be wrong ? that’s reallly high

Coronavirus: one death and 25 new cases in Ireland confirmed

Ireland

ONE FURTHER PERSON has died from Covid-19 in Ireland, the Department of Health confirmed this evening.

In a statement, it said that a further 25 cases of coronavirus have also been confirmed here, bringing the total number of cases to 25,201*.

The death toll from Covid-19 in Ireland is 1,679.

Today’s data from the HPSC, as of midnight, Friday 5 June (25,176 cases), reveals:

• Of confirmed cases, 57% are female and 43% are male
  • The median age of confirmed cases is 48 years
  • 3,321 cases (13%) have been hospitalised
  • Of those hospitalised, 409 cases have been admitted to ICU
  • 8,057 cases are associated with healthcare workers
  • Dublin has the highest number of cases at 12,139 (48% of all cases) followed by Cork with 1,529 cases (6%) and then Kildare with 1,428 cases (6%)
  • Of those for whom transmission status is known: community transmission accounts for 39%, close contact accounts for 59%, travel abroad accounts for 2%.

The country is due to enter Phase Two of re-opening tomorrow, with retail outlets permitted to open and groups to six allowed gather – as long as they socially distance – indoors and outdoors.

*Validation of data at the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) has resulted in the denotification of 7 confirmed cases.

So your friends are transitioning from not going out at all to a family vacation? All in the same house? I would need lots of wine.
Depends on whether the children have been to daycare or somewhere outside their home.
Hopefully it is a secluded beach and not a busy resort vacation area.

The husband has been going out to get food, medicines, etc. and goes into some stores wearing a mask. I don't think the wife has been out and about at all during the shutdown. The grandchildren have been home, not in school or daycare. But--the family with the grandkids has been interacting with two other (unrelated) families with kids, so getting tested before the beach trip seems like the right thing to do.

I had been expressing my concerns to our friends about their safety for a few weeks, so I was relieved to hear about the testing plan. I hope all goes well.

You know what fries my chops? epidemiologists saying that protesting in the streets is more important than staying home and safe. Well, good for them or him, or her, that said such a stupid thing. In the time of a pandemic i cannot think of anything more horrible to witness than thousands of people screaming and yelling in the streets shoulder to shoulder -- many without masks: i think it is negligent of these so-called experts to state such a thing. Dr. Fauci isn't saying that: he is very concerned.

Suddenly, Public Health Officials Say Social Justice Matters More Than Social Distance
Seems like some people are going to protest, pandemic or not. If they are non violent, I would think it's better to make these protests as safe as possible. People who wanted lockdown ended were allowed to protest, and most of them were not wearing masks or social distancing. But I don't think any of them were tear gassed or arrested. I personally don't think it's safe to protest during a pandemic. But some police tactics such as tear gassing them and arresting them and putting them in small spaces are going to make it worse for virus transmission.

Seems like some people are going to protest, pandemic or not. If they are non violent, I would think it's better to make these protests as safe as possible. People who wanted lockdown ended were allowed to protest, and most of them were not wearing masks or social distancing. But I don't think any of them were tear gassed or arrested. I personally don't think it's safe to protest during a pandemic. But some police tactics such as tear gassing them and arresting them and putting them in small spaces are going to make it worse for virus transmission.

I think that there should have been a clear message to the protesters that it is not safe to be in large gatherings, screaming and shouting, since this can spread the virus more
efficiently- that if they were going to protest they should definitely wear masks- they should explain to the masses of humanity that one's health should supersede other considerations, that this virus is deadly and very contagious and that even if they are asymptomatic spreaders they will endanger their parents and grand parents. I understand that many of the protesters would not pay attention, but at least someone with expertise would send the appropriate message. That appropriate message has not been sent. They also need to be educated how deadly this is, especially to people of color.

I think that there should have been a clear message to the protesters that it is not safe to be in large gatherings, screaming and shouting, since this can spread the virus more
efficiently- that if they were going to protest they should definitely wear masks- they should explain to the masses of humanity that one's health should supersede other considerations, that this virus is deadly and very contagious and that even if they are asymptomatic spreaders they will endanger their parents and grand parents. I understand that many of the protesters would not pay attention, but at least someone with expertise would send the appropriate message. That appropriate message has not been sent. They also need to be educated how deadly this is, especially to people of color.
I think it would fall on deaf ears.

The opposite happened. The public health experts encouraged it.

I watched a documentary on Amazon Prime from 2005. It’s called “The Coming Pandemic”.

Wow just wow. The danger was apparent early on.

I wish I had a transcript of the documentary because it was soooo relevant and applicable to the situation at hand.

I’ll see if I can whip something together sometime.

If you guys get a chance and have Prime, check it out. It’s super eerie watching this from 15 years ago. There were those who knew this threat was very, very real, and it’s interesting to watch these doctors speak 15 years ago.

Eta: Here’s the trailer:

Eta2: okay the trailer looks a little cheesy. But the documentary was actually pretty good, I thought.

Last edited:
Good option. But I wonder about tuition rates for out-of-state students?

The reason Montana has so many out of state students, is that out of state tuition here, is a far less expensive option for many, than paying in state tuition. Cost of living is cheap, no one needs a car in a small town. There isn't much to do here to get into trouble or spend money. Jobs are plentiful for college students.

I think it would fall on deaf ears.

I agree with you but that does not take those experts off the hook to do the right thing (warn the protesters v. encouraging them)- you can' t always make people listen, but i bet some would -- people who have the knowledge have an obligation to do the right thing instead of trying to be politically correct.

I agree with you but that does not take those experts off the hook to do the right thing (warn the protesters v. encouraging them)- you can' t always make people listen, but i bet some would -- people who have the knowledge have an obligation to do the right thing instead of trying to be politically correct.
I think people have been warned plenty by now. Obviously not all public health experts are encouraging large gatherings. The states are also opening up, and we have large gatherings-we are going to see increase in covid, there seems to be no doubt of that.

Places of worship to reopen for private prayer

This is ridiculous to not now allow churches to properly open, yet allow the street protests to go ahead.

I think it's wise to protect people by giving them very specific and sound advice about ordinary activities, like church. Politically motivated protesters have been warned, but the results are on them - they are choosing to do what they like, despite the best public health advice.

If church-goers decide to disobey local policies or advice, that's on them too (and in the US, many are doing and have done that). But that shouldn't mean that the actual advice should be "Hey, everyone, go do whatever you want!"

Nope. Things should be opened safely and stage-wise. Church-goers, especially ones over 50 or who have diabetes, should be warned that everyone is at higher risk because of mask gatherings, so it is only wise and humane to try and curtail further deaths among the older population by giving helpful and correct advice - and if it's local custom, making those into policies.

No one is "allowing" street protests. Even the president of the US couldn't stop them, right in front of his house. Civil unrest and civil disobedience is handled under separate laws, through the courts in all English-speaking nations (and much of the rest of the world).

Today, I'm noticing that in our US protests today, there's way more social distancing and mask wearing. The police are standing down. Everything is peaceful. In some places, the regular populace is less attentive to social distancing than the protesters in my own region (Washington D.C. is another matter altogether). The point is, the protesters are well aware that they are risking their lives; many are in high risk groups; they care enough about their cause to go out and risk their lives.

If church-goers were as intense about wanting to go to church (even while risking their lives), how would your government treat them any differently? Would they actually go arrest them? I don't think it would even be noticed here in California - but the guidelines still stand. No nail parlors yet, for some reason - and business licenses would be revoked if they broke the rules. But churches? Here in the US, most churches are obeying the local advice (it's not law) and restricting size of services or doing services online because it's the right thing to do.

Is your government actually allowing the protests? Our various governments here have been locking people up in large numbers. Arresting 9,300 people (US figure) isn't "allowing" protesting. Is UK not trying to arrest lawbreakers during protests? (The people in Bristol didn't seem to have any law enforcement standing by).

That number was from Friday, I believe - and we had way more arrests in SoCal over the weekend. No one is arrested in California for CV violation. I reckon it's different in various places.

Dr. Fauci says George Floyd protests provide ‘perfect recipe’ for new coronavirus surges

“As I sat in front of the TV and watched the screen go from Washington, D.C., to New York City, to Los Angeles, to Philadelphia, I got really concerned,” Fauci told the Sunday Times of London. “I was going, ‘Oh my goodness. I hope this doesn’t set us back a lot.’ [After] all of the work in trying to maintain the physical distance and doing all the things, I became very concerned that we might see a resurgence."

While some in the massive crowds have worn masks, others haven’t -- and no one is social distancing, he said.

The protests bring together people from different areas, many of them virus hotspots, Fauci said. The participants then return home and create a “perfect recipe” for a resurgence of the virus.

Chanting and yelling, as people typically do during protests, also increases the risk of spread, he said.

It sure does. People are truly upset and angry, and there's no changing that. It's been interesting to watch, just in my home county, how both citizens and police have reacted. The demonstration/protest here in my city stretched out over 8 long city blocks due to the social distancing and more than half were wearing masks (we have no mandatory mask rule, sadly). At grocery stores (probably more dangerous), almost no one is wearing a mask and at the beaches, it was just our family and one other (out of hundreds of people) who were wearing masks - and I get it. Outdoor spaces are relatively safe. However, mask-wearing would improve things immensely.

California is seeing a surge pre-protests, due to people disobeying advice or policy and pouring out into public spaces for Memorial Day (two weeks ago). Too soon to see that reflected in the death rate (I don't think it will change much, because most of the Memorial Day revelers were under 50).

We have friends (in their 70s) who are planning a vacation at the beach with family members soon. The plan is for the adults to be tested before the trip (but not our friends, I believe, as they have been staying at home). I don't know if the children will be tested.
Nice that they will be tested, but what happens after they get to the beach?

Our church has been opened for 3 weeks now. We're still watching online though. I think the risk is higher in enclosed areas. I do think there's risks at the protests but at least they're in the open air.
My concern is that people everywhere assume too much safety exists outside. Generally, I believe you are correct. But I worry about being on the wrong end of a breeze that has just carried an asymptomatic’s germs my way, whether at a farmer’s market, outdoor church service, a neighbor stopping to speak to me, or a protest.

Apparently most were without masks at an open air vegetable market near me yesterday. I think some of these same people mask up in the grocery stores and that the open air gives them a false sense of security.

My concern is that people everywhere assume too much safety exists outside. Generally, I believe you are correct. But I worry about being on the wrong end of a breeze that has just carried an asymptomatic’s germs my way, whether at a farmer’s market, outdoor church service, a neighbor stopping to speak to me, or a protest.

Apparently most were without masks at an open air vegetable market near me yesterday. I think some of these same people mask up in the grocery stores and that the open air gives them a false sense of security.
We went to a farmer's market/greenhouse last weekend. At least 50 people there, all ages and everyone out there were wearing masks. I was pleasantly surprised until I walked into the small building to pay for everything and the young girl at the counter wasn't wearing a mask. They even had stacks of masks for sale on the counter. The other workers all wore masks except her. Ohio law mandates all businesses and employees must wear masks. They had a great selection and reasonable prices but I won't be going back now.

Opinion | Our Next Crisis Will Be Caring for Survivors of Covid-19
BBM & SBM
Our Next Crisis Will Be Caring for Survivors of Covid-19

Many among the most ill may emerge with debilitating infirmities that will present major challenges in care By Robert Klitzman

Dr. Klitzman is professor of psychiatry at Columbia University Irving Medical Center.

June 4, 2020

We have plenty of data on rates of death versus survival from the virus, but not much on the quality of survival. But what we do know from the limited data about survivors of Covid-19, and about how ventilated and critically ill patients fare after spending weeks in intensive-care units, raises significant concerns.

....patients who end up in I.C.U.s for extended periods often develop post-intensive-care syndrome, which can include cognitive, muscular and neurological problems, as well as PTSD. These problems can persist for months and even years. In Britain, as of mid-May, about a third of Covid-19 patients in I.C.U.s were still there after 20 days, putting them at high risk for these conditions.

At discharge, almost all ARDS patients have significant neuro-cognitive deficits, including impaired memory, attention and concentration (the result, for instance, of low oxygen levels). These problems can still be found in up to 20 percent of these patients five years later, according to a 2016 article in the journal Intensive Care Medicine.

In a recent article on the blog of the journal Health Affairs, three public health experts at Harvard estimated that assuming 40 percent of the country is infected over the course of the pandemic, more than 20 million Americans will be hospitalized and nearly 4.5 million will require intensive care.

.....some of these patients remain in hospitals, using resources that could be used for other Covid-19 patients or those who have cancer, diabetes or other serious diseases but have had to postpone treatment because of the pandemic.

Others who are being sent home may have significant physical or cognitive impairments, preventing them from working or caring for themselves.

The needs of Covid-19 survivors have received little attention and must be addressed.

We are simply not prepared to handle them.

Nice that they will be tested, but what happens after they get to the beach?

Good question! The family group will be staying in a large rental house on a beach. Our friends said they will not be going to restaurants. The younger folks will do any shopping needed and they will cook meals at the house. I hope the younger folks are careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14