There are exceptions

If you have a source quoting President Trump stating those, give me a holler

My eyes and ears are not what they used to be and I could have missed that

Edited to add:
Source for my original post

Trump dismisses the need to wear masks at his campaign rally in Tulsa - Vox
Trump falsely suggests wearing a mask at his Tulsa rally could be harmful

Last edited:
No, it’s tests per million that we were talking about, not cases per million. Trump implied the US was no1 at testing, but that’s clearly not at all correct. Other countries, including the UK, have tested a much higher proportion of their citizens.

I cannot cast aspersions given the horribly high rate of UK deaths. But neither can we accept the presidents claims that they are leading in the testing stakes. Neither country is doing “well”.

Need to keep things factually accurate rather than accepting the skewed and conveniently biased claims of some of our world leaders.

I think what's causing a lot of back and forth is President Trump said we're number 1 at testing. Which we are. We are at almost 28 million tests.

He didn't say number one based on tests per million or per thousand. But in order to say he's incorrect, we've added the "per" qualifier.

Jmo

Well I am going by pics I have seen and my own estimate and opinion. Rather have the higher figure so we can track higher cases in the next two weeks if they materialise. If it's lower then that is good. Not sure about those outside the venue which looked to be a lot, stallholders, etc.

From your link

Trump ally Stephen Moore thinks the president will ask China to pay reparations over COVID-19

MLB to close spring training facilities in Arizona, Florida amid coronavirus spike

Last edited:
I think what's causing a lot of back and forth is President Trump said we're number 1 at testing. Which we are. We are at almost 28 million tests.

He didn't say number one based on tests per million or per thousand. But in order to say he's incorrect, we've added the "per" qualifier.

Jmo

By that logic, you’re also leading in numbers of infections and deaths (by a mile) but that wouldn’t really be a fair assessment because you have a considerably larger population.

He can’t cherry pick the stats to try and fool people that America is doing “great” when it’s not.

By that logic, you’re also leading in numbers of infections and deaths (by a mile) but that wouldn’t really be a fair assessment because you have a considerably larger population.

He can’t cherry pick the stats to try and fool people that America is doing “great” when it’s not.

No, he can't. But cherry picking what he says that only goes one way? Jmo

You're correct
There are exceptions

If you have a source quoting President Trump stating those, give me a holler

My eyes and ears are not what they used to be and I could have missed that

Edited to add:
Source for my original post

Trump dismisses the need to wear masks at his campaign rally in Tulsa - Vox
Trump falsely suggests wearing a mask at his Tulsa rally could be harmful

Holler !!!

As I stated I pulled that from the link that was already posted. I don't need to post an additional link. Are we only posting what Trump says on here now? I must have missed the memo.

Needless to say I will point it out to you so you can find it in the link you have posted above.

"The president also referred to the false claim that masks can harm wearers, while saying that people should wear them only if they wanted to. ”You know, there was a time when people thought it was worse wearing a mask,” he said. “I let people make up their own decision.”

Click on the blue "false claim" and that is where my quote comes from.

Last edited:
I prefer to look at the broader picture rather than believing brags, boasts and the sycophantic applause of fawning followers. And I’m not just having a go at Trump; most politicians are guilty of trying to manipulate both national and international perception.

Well, the whole picture in the US is this:

We really do have more total positive cases, more total deaths, and more total tests.

It's just a truth bomb. There's no way around it. Jmo

Jmo

I agree with you. Also because the individual states are all at differing stages of the virus, some with very low testing it skews the overall figure which is then blamed on POTUS. ????

N.Y.C. Hired 3,000 Workers for Contact Tracing. It’s Not Going Well.

This is interesting. With digital technology, people who test positive for Covid, could just give permission for the Contact tracers to have access to their data from their cell phones. That would pretty much give a time, data stamp, and GPS coordinates of where these people were for the last month. Cross match that information with other people who are positive.

Who can remember every single interaction in the last month? Of course, these days, probably most of us could.

Is the pandemic getting worse in the US?

"The news in the US has been dominated by anti-racism protests for the past couple of weeks, but coronavirus is now back in the headlines.

Several states have seen a record number of cases in recent days, leading to fears that the country is experiencing a second wave of infections.

But Vice-President Mike Pence said those fears were "overblown" and accused the media of using "grim predictions" to scare the American people.

So what is going on in the US?

_105894348_short_grey_line_new-nc.png

The number of infections is going up
With more than two million coronavirus cases, the US has the highest number of confirmed infections in the world - about a quarter of the global total.

The situation got really bad in late March but by May, cases were declining and most states had begun to ease restrictions put into place to halt the spread of the virus.

The number of new cases rarely fell below 20,000 though, because as some states were bringing their outbreaks under control, others were only just beginning to see flare-ups.

_112985242_optimised-us_cases-nc.png

_109028083_1px_white_line-nc.png

For this reason, the top US health official for infectious diseases, Anthony Fauci, sees the current situation as a continuation of the initial outbreaks.

"People keep talking about a second wave," he told a reporter last week. "We're still in a first wave."

Spikes in cases in those new hotspots mean the country's overall seven-day average has now risen for several days in a row for the first time since cases peaked in early April."

"There's no debate over whether cases are going up again, but there is over why.

President Donald Trump blames it on increased testing, telling the Wall Street Journal he thinks "testing is overrated" because "in many ways, it makes us look bad."

The US has conducted more tests than any other country - about 25 million so far - so that does go some way to explaining why it has the highest number of cases in the world, although international comparisons are difficult to make for a number of reasons.

But there's plenty of evidence to suggest the recent rise in infections is down to more than just a higher number of people being tested.

The rise in cases isn't just down to more testing
Twice last week, Arizona saw more new cases on its own than the entire nine-state North East region and that's not just down to increased testing.

This is clear when you look at the rate of coronavirus tests that are coming back positive.

If lots of tests are being done and the spread of the virus has been reduced, then the positive case rate would go down too. If the virus is still being spread widely, it goes up.

At the moment the positive case rate is just below 5% nationally, which is the level the World Health Organization recommends countries be at or below for 14 days before they ease restrictions on movement.

But about a third of states are above that level, as the chart below shows, and all of them have reopened to some extent over the last month.

_112985244_optimised-us_pos_case-nc.png

_109028083_1px_white_line-nc.png

The number of people being hospitalised has also risen in a number of these states, including Texas, where some reopened bars and restaurants are now closing their doors again, reports the Texas Tribune, because of fears over a new surge of cases.

Faced with rising case numbers and an economy that desperately needs to get going again, many public officials are looking to facemasks to help slow the spread of the virus. California, North Carolina and several US cities mandated or urged their use last week.

But masks have become increasingly politicised in recent weeks, with President Trump sayingsome people wear them primarily to show opposition to him.

Deaths are trending downwards - for now
Amid all of the fears about new hotspots, the most positive news in the US at the moment is that daily deaths continue to fall.

They peaked back in May when the outbreaks in the Northeast were at their most intense, with New York state alone registering around 1,000 a day. This week, that figure is about 40 a day.

However, deaths is a metric that lags behind cases and hospitalisations because it can take several weeks for those who are worst-hit to die from the disease. That means the consequences of the current spikes in cases won't be seen for a couple of weeks at least. "

More at link.

Last edited:
There are some situations in which face masks might not be advised:

• children under two whose lungs haven't fully developed
  • people with respiratory conditions who may struggle to breathe
  • people should not wear masks when exercising
From your link.

There is nothing in the original article linked regarding children under two, respiratory conditions or exercising.

The article is discussing wearing masks at large gatherings indoors and how a mask is recommended for safety and one particular gathering at that.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Deaths lags behind increase in cases. It takes a long while for covid patients to die. It's not a quick death, usually. Especially for those ending up in ICU on a ventilator-they can stay on a ventilator for multiple weeks before dying.

Let's say the rate is the same as the protesters tested as shown above so 2%. 2% of 9,000 would mean 180 possibly testing positive. Death rate of 5% could mean 9 people dying. Out of 9,000. What would be good is if they and everyone, can get quick, easy free tests. MOO.

Does this mean that 9 people dying is acceptable from a gathering that was irresponsible to hold in the first place?

Who is the winner here? Would 9,000 more tests be necessary if the rally was not held? Someone has to ultimately pay for the tests - often taxpayers, but not always.

I guess another symptom of covid is a complete collapse. I remember when there were initially videos coming of China of people collapsing on the street-a lot here didn't believe it. And yet we have a comedian suddenly collapsing during a show here-and he had no clue he even had covid.

Yes sorry tests per million. Not cases per million. Not sure of total number of tests. The figures and graph I have linked shows both by state. Current testing of protesters shows a 2% positive case rate. On that JHU list for example NY and NJ have a high cases per tests rate of more than 10%.

ETA I also notice Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey are top of the testing numbers.

Now that we know the subject is tests per million, how do you think the tests from outdoor events will compare to indoor events?

Or do we already know that from previous links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14