Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So once shutting down bars and restaurants doesn't work, who's next on the hit list?

That depends on the goals and how seriously people want to be rid of CoVid. In these parts, I believe people would go back to near total lock down, with only essential workers going outside their homes. Our last reported case was the end of March with the closest next case two hours away. If/When CoVid comes back, we know the drill. We're gonna to nail it.

Which is why my husband and I did a comprehensive living will in February. Everyone should have one now. Along with the paperwork for a Power of Attorney. Get things organized now.

We put all of the information about accounts, benefits, in a file on our computer, "Death Information". Yes, it was grim. And we told our kids where to find the file.

Every thing is laid out. Including the funeral plans, who to call.

It is amazing how many copies of a death certificate people need, to switch utilities, close accounts, change title information, get survivor benefits. When my Grandfather died I needed no less than 25 copies of his death certificate.

Thank you for this reminder @mickey2942. We owe this to our daughter, our only child, to get everything organized. My mother had done much of this when she turned 80, and when she died at 92 it made everything so much easier.

"A Karen in the wild." (From the article). Yes, it is a feel-good story for me. Good for Lenin for holding his ground. And although this person feels she might fall under the ADA, a reasonable accommodation would still be having her wait outside for service. No business is required to perform something unreasonable as an accommodation (such as build an elevator so that all people can get to the bottom of a cliff at a resort property).

Drive throughs also work.

I don't rightly know, because I did not look up her Facebook page, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that she probably doesn't even know what ADA stands for, let alone has a disability which would exempt her from wearing a mask. I imagine she feels like those people in Palm Beach, that the requirement infringes upon her rights to be served some overpriced coffee.

Shes a mixed bag of anti-vaxxer and believer in the mark of the beast kind of anti-Christ theme. In other words, forcing people to wear masks in businesses is a step before forcing vaccinations and putting microchips in people for Satan. I’m serious.

Judge blocks 25% capacity rule for religious services in NY
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge on Friday blocked New York state from enforcing coronavirus restrictions limiting indoor religious gatherings to 25% capacity when other types of gatherings are limited to 50%.
<snip>

“The idea that houses of worship are some deadly viral vector unlike anything else is just superstition,” Ferrara said in a telephone interview. “There’s no science to support that.”

Restrictions limiting the number of people who can attend outdoor religious gatherings will also be lifted by the injunction.

Federal Judge Rules Cuomo, De Blasio Exceeded Authority by Restricting Religious Services While Condoning Protests

De Blasio issued “simultaneous pro-protest/anti-religious gathering messages” and “actively encouraged participation in protests and openly discouraged religious gatherings and threatened religious worshipers,” the judge said in his order.

The lawsuit claims that the governor, mayor, and attorney general violated the First Amendment and due-process rights of the plaintiffs by selectively enforcing pandemic-control measures. Even as mass protests were allowed to take place across the state, people of faith were targeted with threats of criminal prosecution and $1000 fines for violating the restrictions on group gatherings, the suit alleges.

Federal Judge Blocks Andrew Cuomo and Bill de Blasio’s Coronavirus Limits on Religious Gatherings

The judge similarly chided Mayor de Blasio for attending a George Floyd gathering “without a mask” which did not following the same distancing measures he placed upon religious gatherings.

The plaintiffs included an eclectic mix of Catholic and Jewish leaders who were unable to fulfil the commandments of their faiths due to the restrictions placed upon them by the government, the lawsuit alleged.

No laughing here. I am sad and frightened for you all. If I could I would bring you all here to SW Ontario Canada.

I don’t know if anyone in any country is laughing at you. We are in Canada and our reaction varies between jaw dropping horror, grave concern, and gut wrenching sadness for you. You are, after all, our closest neighbours and what is happening is a huge shock to us. I should add that we are also adding in a few prayers that it doesn’t eventually happen here too.

Oh Canada! Thank you both SO much! You brought tears to my eyes. It really helps to know you understand the horrible, bizarre, twilight zone nightmare we are living in. I pray for you too. Hugs!

I'm glad to hear this!

It worries me. In my office the windows don’t open. And I do go in there. I’m not comfortable. But I have to check the mail and meet clients.

I’ve asked the landlord to unseal the windows but he really doesn’t want to for liability reasons. But with my asthma I just want that extra protection.

Well, I have been so afraid of getting the virus and dying, leaving no one but the state to care for my grandson. It is for him that I have tried so hard to avoid germs. I only have gone to work and the store. My grandson hasn't left the house since school let out on March 13.

My Dad died yesterday, just laying out at the pool. I am picking up a rental car this afternoon and will be driving to San Francisco. I am afraid of the germs in a rental car. I'm afraid of the germs from hugs. I'm afraid of mortuary germs. I am afraid that I have no parents any more, and that I am alone (with my grandson)in this world. Sometimes I really feel that this life sucks. I feel lost, alone, and afraid.

Thanks for listening.

Recidivist, I have just woken up, and read your sad post.
Post here, and visit, as you are not alone with loads of people here who will listen.
You will feel better.
Do all you can, to stay safe with your grandson.
Think about happy times in the past, and you will smile.
Our memories are precious.

Best wishes, for a brighter future, very soon.
Looking forward to your next post.:):):)

That depends on the goals and how seriously people want to be rid of CoVid. In these parts, I believe people would go back to near total lock down, with only essential workers going outside their homes. Our last reported case was the end of March with the closest next case two hours away. If/When CoVid comes back, we know the drill. We're gonna to nail it.

So the same thing that's been proven to be unsustainable.

New Rule: If you've been claiming for the past several weeks that there is no need to be concerned about the virus spreading, and that things are getting back to normal, then you can't now point fingers at Protesters for causing a spike in cases as a result of their marches earlier this month.

Some of us have been saying all along, that this virus does not care whether you're protesting someone's murder on video, or attending a political rally. It's an Equal Opportunity Infector.

It certainly is an equal opportunity infector.
And the protests sure didn’t help matters. However, most of the protestors were wearing masks. And masks can prevent spread. So it could have been much worse.

And it is no coincidence that many of the states with the fastest, sudden rise are states that ignored guidelines, like about opening back up and insisting on masks, testing, etc.

And when you see certain governors now begging people to stay home, who were supporting a more laissez faire attitude previously, you know this isn’t nonsense.

I have friends in TX. I was shocked to see on FB how early they were already out in bars and restaurants and having gatherings with elderly relatives, going to lakes with a bunch of people, crowding on boats together, no one wearing masks.

I just hope they all stay healthy. It scares me.

Drive throughs also work.

Yep. But some people are never satisfied unless they get to do exactly what they want.

It worries me. In my office the windows don’t open. And I do go in there. I’m not comfortable. But I have to check the mail and meet clients.

I’ve asked the landlord to unseal the windows but he really doesn’t want to for liability reasons. But with my asthma I just want that extra protection.

Do you have a hepa filter? It might ease your mind a little. And of course, stay 6 feet away from those clients (we have an attorney/client meeting coming up - within the next month, we will of course be masked). They have just 1-2 people in the office working at a time, and they wear masks when people come in - but not when there are no people in the office, which is understandable - I don't care, because I am wearing a mask and staying several feet away.

It's so awkward though. We have to take dogs to the vet today (uptick in rodent population in our 'hood, they need the lepto shot) and while they come outside to get the dogs, everyone is so nervous and the other pet-parents mill about. The upswing in cases here in California has us on edge.

Stay safe, Gitana and all the best to your family overseas - must be gratifying to see how well Spain handled CoVId. There's a new study (slightly flawed according to some peer responses) about early CoVId in water in Barcelona (from Dec 2019 for sure).

Which is why my husband and I did a comprehensive living will in February. Everyone should have one now. Along with the paperwork for a Power of Attorney. Get things organized now.

We put all of the information about accounts, benefits, in a file on our computer, "Death Information". Yes, it was grim. And we told our kids where to find the file.

Every thing is laid out. Including the funeral plans, who to call.

It is amazing how many copies of a death certificate people need, to switch utilities, close accounts, change title information, get survivor benefits. When my Grandfather died I needed no less than 25 copies of his death certificate.
Thank you for this reminder @mickey2942. We owe this to our daughter, our only child, to get everything organized. My mother had done much of this when she turned 80, and when she died at 92 it made everything so much easier.
And may I offer that not only is this excellent planning on your part but take it a step further and get your adult children's information as well - we see many parents who have to open probate not knowing their adult child has only $200 in checking, none in savings and they don't own much at all - but probate has to be opened because without a comprehensive list, the parent(s) have no idea of what they have and most banks will not speak to you unless you have Letters of Administration in hand - I've even seen parents of adult married children work together so that everyone knows everything - it's really not that difficult. List out your accounts, approximate balances, property, vehicles, safe deposit boxes, IRA/401K/investment accounts etc. Keep a copy of your insurance policies, estate plan documents (Will, Trust, Living Will, Power of Attorney, Health Care Surrogate, Pre-need guardian, etc.burial wishes, receipts if pre-paid funeral/cremation) with this list - you can use a sealed envelope and tell them where to find it. It makes it so much easier on those you leave behind. Probate can be messy enough.
JMO

Not unsustainable in New York (not so far, anyway). But we value education and functional, responsible leadership here, even when we make mistakes along the way.

Yes, the states that followed the leadership of their governments that relied on scientific evidence vs political rhetoric (blah blah my 1st amendment rights ) are fairing very well. Our county here in a Pennsylvania just outside of Philadelphia is doing well. Our numbers of Covid cases have continued to decline. Massachusetts as well. I haven’t seen a person without a mask on inside any building since early March. Makes me proud of my neighbors.

Are you able to have client meetings via Zoom or other means (not in person)? Perhaps you've discussed this in posts I've missed.

So the same thing that's been proven to be unsustainable.

In this country, maybe. The problem is we didn’t have an effective, national shut down that ensured people didn’t lose their homes and businesses. And government officials keep downplaying it as a result of fear over the economy. As a result, people didn’t take this seriously. And still aren’t.

If we had had a nationwide shut down for two months, and then reopened with strict policies in place for awhile, like masks when in places near others, limiting large gatherings, constant, serious government public service announcements about how having gatherings with unmasked people, close to one another, is dangerous, and how this disease is serious, we would probably be fine with reopening.

The fact is, IMO, because of the minimization of this disease, we have too many people who have treated it like a joke. And that’s the biggest issue that makes reopening problematic. If people took it seriously I believe we could reopen safely, for the most part.

But doing nothing leads to disaster. And until people realize that, we are in for a very rough ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member