Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have been so afraid of getting the virus and dying, leaving no one but the state to care for my grandson. It is for him that I have tried so hard to avoid germs. I only have gone to work and the store. My grandson hasn't left the house since school let out on March 13.

My Dad died yesterday, just laying out at the pool. I am picking up a rental car this afternoon and will be driving to San Francisco. I am afraid of the germs in a rental car. I'm afraid of the germs from hugs. I'm afraid of mortuary germs. I am afraid that I have no parents any more, and that I am alone (with my grandson)in this world. Sometimes I really feel that this life sucks. I feel lost, alone, and afraid.

Thanks for listening.
Thinking of you and I hope you know that you are not alone. You've done all the right things. It will be ok. Wipe down the car and try not to do the hugs. I know that's hard, but I've had to jump back and apologize to who ever was coming in for the hug. I explain that I'll probably never hug like I used to again.

DH has been working at home since mid-March and has considered returning to work so he can be part of the "team" before he retires in December. Until May 18, about half of the office employees worked from home, but the plant/warehouse was deemed essential and remained open continuously. When most employees returned to work on May 18, DH was not comfortable doing so because they are not required to wear masks since the office is spacious, and staff either have their own offices or cubicles that are well-spaced. Everyone who returned to work in May had to be tested, and no one tested positive. Mini-refrigerators were purchased so no one has to share the fridge in the break room, but they are probably all using the microwave and coffee service. Office area, break room, restrooms, etc. are sanitized daily.

A few weeks ago, one of the men in the plant tested positive and self-quarantined for two weeks. He has since returned to work, and all plant employees must now wear masks. Still no masks required in the office. DH had considered returning to work a couple days a week after 4th of July. He saw his physician this morning who advised that he return only if anyone with whom he has contact in the office or warehouse is wearing a mask. DH then went to a recommended testing facility with a script for COVID-19 testing and will have his results in 2-4 days (test required if he returns to work). Once he has his test result, DH will contact employer to ask about the mask situation. If they won't accommodate his and his doctor's request, and DH can't be absolutely certain that people will wear masks in his presence, he will finish out the year from home. He still has vacation time but might not take the time and retire sooner.

I'm glad to hear this!

Great article about Florida ...from The Guardian...ha!.

DeSantis is again, trying to screw up our numbers.
I really hope it bites him.... we need cleaner recording.

Francis Suarez, Mayor of Miami stated the following rebuking DeSantis (and Trump) saying----> numbers are up only because more tests are done.

“It has really nothing to do with an increased amount of testing. It has to do with more people that are getting tested coming out positive”

Florida governor under fire over claims state is 'cooking the books' on Covid-19 | Florida | The Guardian

I think everyone in the world is laughing at us. Or sitting quietly in the corner, sobbing into their handkerchief. I think it is time to step away from the Internet today, so I don't join them.
No laughing here. I am sad and frightened for you all. If I could I would bring you all here to SW Ontario Canada.

I don’t know if anyone in any country is laughing at you. We are in Canada and our reaction varies between jaw dropping horror, grave concern, and gut wrenching sadness for you. You are, after all, our closest neighbours and what is happening is a huge shock to us. I should add that we are also adding in a few prayers that it doesn’t eventually happen here too.

We really do need 2 Americas. One where everybody who wants to get back to normal, and avoid worrying about the virus, can mix together and create "herd immunity." The other America will stay home, quarantine and wear masks in public.

We can reform the Union once the former region fully infects one another.

Absolutely! The only thing standing in the way is the latter group's insistence on legislating the former out of existence.

Yeah....many of those doing handwringing over the protests of a man's murder conveniently forgot that those fine "liberate" folks shot down our progress well before any of the rest of it.

All of the protests and rallies are problematic, but those early "liberate" protests were actually egged on by the people at the top who are supposed to protect us, as well as the paychecks of those who protested for financial reasons. Those crying over not getting their hair colored are different story altogether :rolleyes:. They ruined it for everyone early on, and I guess the protests that came after came from a place of nihilism - "we may as well do it for a just cause."

It’s all problematic. But yeah, 90% of those protesting killings are wearing masks, from every video and photo I've seen. But 90% protesting shut downs were not wearing masks.

That difference is big.

However, the use of tear gas certainly complicated matters.

I just wish everyone going to large gatherings where you’re close together would be responsible and cover their faces. It’s pretty simple.

In other news, Texas, which had the most aggressive reopening in the nation, is now second guessing that wild decision.

A little too little, a little too late, governor. Now you’re going to see what happens when this virus overwhelms the system.
Texas governor orders bars to close amid surge in virus cases

My family in Spain endured an extreme shut down, mostly without complaint. Only one person per household could ever leave the house for almost three months (except certain workers and for health reasons), and could only leave the house once per week for food and supplies.

If people wandered on the street, everyone shouted at them from windows and balconies, to get inside.

People could only take their dogs a couple feet from the door to poop. (That would’ve made mine insane).

And homes in most of Spain are basically apartments. Even the larger ones don’t typically have yards, except in the country.

Now they are almost totally back to normal. They’re going to cafes and bars and there is no rise in cases. They successfully flattened the curve.

We are more selfish, and individualistic as a people, I have come to believe. We can’t be bothered to do the minimum. We can’t even wear masks.

And yes, they’re lucky to be in a nation that guarantees people are paid and don’t lose their homes, jobs, or go without food during a lengthy shut down. So they could do that. But at the least we in the US can wear masks and avoid large gatherings, without losing our shirts.

But we can’t even bother to do that.

It’s frustrating.

Last edited:
Well, I have been so afraid of getting the virus and dying, leaving no one but the state to care for my grandson. It is for him that I have tried so hard to avoid germs. I only have gone to work and the store. My grandson hasn't left the house since school let out on March 13.

My Dad died yesterday, just laying out at the pool. I am picking up a rental car this afternoon and will be driving to San Francisco. I am afraid of the germs in a rental car. I'm afraid of the germs from hugs. I'm afraid of mortuary germs. I am afraid that I have no parents any more, and that I am alone (with my grandson)in this world. Sometimes I really feel that this life sucks. I feel lost, alone, and afraid.

Thanks for listening.

Oh my gosh. We are here for you as best as we can be. If there’s anything specific you think any of us can do, please let us know.

Disinfect the steering wheel and other surfaces when you get in. It should be fine. Wear a mask at the mortuary. I’m sure they will be wearing them inside there. San Francisco has been super strict about controlling the virus and doing well.

You are not alone, friend.

Haha! Thanks for this! LOL

New Rule: If you've been claiming for the past several weeks that there is no need to be concerned about the virus spreading, and that things are getting back to normal, then you can't now point fingers at Protesters for causing a spike in cases as a result of their marches earlier this month.

Some of us have been saying all along, that this virus does not care whether you're protesting someone's murder on video, or attending a political rally. It's an Equal Opportunity Infector.

Well, the US isn't the only country to not adhere to recognized COVID-19 recommendations.
The Tour de France is now scheduled from Aug 29 - Sep 20. Ready for this? The race’s route is over 3,000km long, with roughly 500,000 fans lining the roads each day. Suggestions the Tour could be held without the supporters had been ruled out.

Outside? Yes, but fans are packed together along the route. What are these organizers thinking? Oh, yeah. They're not thinking.
Will the cyclists take the risk? It used to be that cyclists needed to be concerned about a dog crossing their path. Now they need to be concerned about people handing them a cold bottle of Covid.

And ... those crowds!
Oh, yeah. They'll take the risk. Pro riders. Still have been training.

Miami to issue $500 tickets to those not wearing masks.

Florida is also banning on site consumption of alcohol at bars (is Texas doing the same?) I think Florida is including restaurants in that ban.

But the governor is proceeding to allow DisneyWorld to reopen (if Disney changes their mind, that's another matter).

10,000 new cases predicted for FL today.

Which is why my husband and I did a comprehensive living will in February. Everyone should have one now. Along with the paperwork for a Power of Attorney. Get things organized now.

We put all of the information about accounts, benefits, in a file on our computer, "Death Information". Yes, it was grim. And we told our kids where to find the file.

Every thing is laid out. Including the funeral plans, who to call.

It is amazing how many copies of a death certificate people need, to switch utilities, close accounts, change title information, get survivor benefits. When my Grandfather died I needed no less than 25 copies of his death certificate.

You have prepared well! We need to do more to get things organized ourselves--thanks for the nudge.

I created a folder both on my computer and in hard copy with death information like you describe. It's for my husband and son if I die first, and for me and my son if DH dies first.

In dealing with both my parents' estates (I'm an only child), I found that I didn't need that many originals of the death certificate, as often a copy was accepted. Or I would take in an original and they would copy it and give me the original back.

So once shutting down bars and restaurants doesn't work, who's next on the hit list?

Oh, yeah. They'll take the risk. Pro riders. Still have been training.

Of course, you're absolutely right. When we see the risks they take flying down mountain switches, I'm sure that CoVid is no more concern than a flea on a dog.

But all those crowds. Ugh. Tour De France is close to my heart. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members