DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New pandemic clampdowns in Texas, Florida rattle business owners

New pandemic clampdowns in Texas, Florida rattle business owners

By Erwin Seba and Zachary Ferguson

1 hour ago
HOUSTON/MIAMI (Reuters) - Bar and restaurant owners in Texas and Florida were fuming on Friday after state officials abruptly slapped new restrictions on their businesses due to a spike in new COVID-19 cases.

Owners warned the sudden reversals, just weeks after accelerated reopenings, will drive some out of business.

"You can't turn a bar into an UberEats," said Jeff Kaplan, co-owner of Houston's Axelrad Beer Garden. He said businesses could not stay afloat relying on the new rules that provide to-go sales but not alcohol consumption on the premises.

Houston officials advised residents to stay home, and Texas ordered doctors to end elective surgeries as new coronavirus cases set records on three consecutive days. Florida reported nearly 9,000 new infections on Friday, also a record high.

Predictable, but for different reasons.

The lock up was unsustainable - economically and socially. Nobody that I hang out with thinks the virus is "done for." What we are "done with" is the idea that the only solution is to close up the world. Was heartened to see our Governor tweet about his meeting with business leaders. When a person would tweet "SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN," they would get half a dozen replies saying "WHY DON'T YOU JUST STAY HOME"

The problem is that if everyone who was vulnerable stayed home, the economy would still be a wreck. Is that sustainable? To have only the vulnerable stay home? Do you think that would save our economy? Here are some the people who are vulnerable to serious complications:

Diabetes - at least 100 million Americans.
CDC Press Releases.

Obesity - 42% of Americans, or approximately, 154 million Americans.
Obesity is a Common, Serious, and Costly Disease

High blood pressure - around 108 million Americans
Facts About Hypertension | cdc.gov

Etc., etc.

And many of those who state that shutting down wasn't the solution, flatly refuse to wear masks or reduce gatherings.

Again, shut downs weren't meant to be long-term. But as long as people continue to act like this virus isn't a serious danger to our nation, shut downs will loom over us.

Be responsible, people. Wear the damn masks. Don't gather in large groups with people not wearing masks. Practice true physical distancing. Not surprise parties where you're all hugging each other and claiming you socially distanced.

This is just for awhile. Unless people continue to be stupid.

Scientists just beginning to understand the many health problems caused by COVID-19

Scientists just beginning to understand the many health problems caused by COVID-19

By Julie Steenhuysen

1 hour ago
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Scientists are only starting to grasp the vast array of health problems caused by the novel coronavirus, some of which may have lingering effects on patients and health systems for years to come, according to doctors and infectious disease experts.

Besides the respiratory issues that leave patients gasping for breath, the virus that causes COVID-19 attacks many organ systems, in some cases causing catastrophic damage.
"We thought this was only a respiratory virus. Turns out, it goes after the pancreas. It goes after the heart. It goes after the liver, the brain, the kidney and other organs. We didn't appreciate that in the beginning," said Dr. Eric Topol, a cardiologist and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in La Jolla, California.

In addition to respiratory distress, patients with COVID-19 can experience blood clotting disorders that can lead to strokes, and extreme inflammation that attacks multiple organ systems. The virus can also cause neurological complications that range from headache, dizziness and loss of taste or smell to seizures and confusion.

And recovery can be slow, incomplete and costly, with a huge impact on quality of life.

The broad and diverse manifestations of COVID-19 are somewhat unique, said Dr. Sadiya Khan, a cardiologist at Northwestern Medicine in Chicago.

Scary. There are studies confirming low potassium in covid patients. I already have a hypokalemia diagnosis and am very concerned over this. I spend literally all day tracking the time to take my potassium. Twitching like she experienced is also a sign of an electrolyte imbalance like with low potassium.

Wow. I think maybe I heard about potassium at some point because I started bugging my husband about his (lack of) potassium intake. I'm so sorry you have to track potassium, but at least it's doable. Good point about the twitching. Hopefully her mini-strokes (maybe evidence of TIA's? Rare in younger people - but perhaps CoVid turns younger people very quickly into elderly people with electrolyte issues...)

I'm guessing that the first doctor knew that about potassium and blood sugar, which is why he called in the second doctor. I keep putting off going to the doctor over my chronic cough (started after intubation during a relatively minor procedure in January, it's not Covid). That'll be next week (that's what I said last week).

People keep saying that, but at what cost? They are still totally restricted. It's been proven everywhere that congregation and flat curves are incompatible. How can anyone look at pictures of packed clubs and beaches and think it will be possible to keep people locked up forever. Because it will have to be a literal lock up, as it will be like Prohibition.

No. They are NOT totally restricted. That's false:
How is lockdown being lifted across Europe?

Again, if we had taken it seriously the first time, we could be where they are now - reopening without a rise in new cases.

We didn't all shut down. We downplayed the seriousness causing people to refuse to wear masks, continue to gather, and fail to practice strict hygiene.

In many parts of Europe, people took it super seriously. They cared about one another. They did what they had to do without much complaint. And now it's getting back to normal. I guess we are a bunch of babies, though.

No. They are NOT totally restricted. That's false:
How is lockdown being lifted across Europe?

Again, if we had taken it seriously the first time, we could be where they are now - reopening without a rise in new cases.

We didn't all shut down. We downplayed the seriousness causing people to refuse to wear masks, continue to gather, and fail to practice strict hygiene.

In many parts of Europe, people took it super seriously. They cared about one another. They did what they had to do without much complaint. And now it's getting back to normal. I guess we are a bunch of babies, though.

We'll see what July brings. I'm sure Italy and France will get enough tourists from Austria to make up for loss of Americans and Russians.

Good call judge. Moo

Judge blocks 25% capacity rule for religious services in NY
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge on Friday blocked New York state from enforcing coronavirus restrictions limiting indoor religious gatherings to 25% capacity when other types of gatherings are limited to 50%.
<snip>

“The idea that houses of worship are some deadly viral vector unlike anything else is just superstition,” Ferrara said in a telephone interview. “There’s no science to support that.”

Restrictions limiting the number of people who can attend outdoor religious gatherings will also be lifted by the injunction.

Federal Judge Rules Cuomo, De Blasio Exceeded Authority by Restricting Religious Services While Condoning Protests

De Blasio issued “simultaneous pro-protest/anti-religious gathering messages” and “actively encouraged participation in protests and openly discouraged religious gatherings and threatened religious worshipers,” the judge said in his order.

The lawsuit claims that the governor, mayor, and attorney general violated the First Amendment and due-process rights of the plaintiffs by selectively enforcing pandemic-control measures. Even as mass protests were allowed to take place across the state, people of faith were targeted with threats of criminal prosecution and $1000 fines for violating the restrictions on group gatherings, the suit alleges.

Federal Judge Blocks Andrew Cuomo and Bill de Blasio’s Coronavirus Limits on Religious Gatherings

The judge similarly chided Mayor de Blasio for attending a George Floyd gathering “without a mask” which did not following the same distancing measures he placed upon religious gatherings.

The plaintiffs included an eclectic mix of Catholic and Jewish leaders who were unable to fulfil the commandments of their faiths due to the restrictions placed upon them by the government, the lawsuit alleged.

And many of those who state that shutting down wasn't the solution, flatly refuse to wear masks or reduce gatherings.

Again, shut downs weren't meant to be long-term. But as long as people continue to act like this virus isn't a serious danger to our nation, shut downs will loom over us.

Be responsible, people. Wear the damn masks. Don't gather in large groups with people not wearing masks. Practice true physical distancing. Not surprise parties where you're all hugging each other and claiming you socially distanced.

This is just for awhile. Unless people continue to be stupid.

This is why we can't have nice things.

This is why we can't have nice things.

lol. Thanks, I needed that.

Off to the pub for some live music, while it lasts. Time to start organizing bar patrons and just take the party underground. That worked out great in the 1920's!

Our vet is now allowed to do non-essential visits, so popped by last night after her shift. There was a backlog of cats needing 6-month health checks here, and booster shots and claw clips. I mention this simply because it was such a surreal experience compared to our usual visit (which would normally include pizza and a glass of wine).
Both of us wore masks and gloves. Vet wore disposable shoe covers. We tried and failed to maintain a 2-metre distance but at least managed to stay a good foot or so apart. As she left, I sprayed vet with Safe4 and as soon as the door was shut, I jumped into the shower and threw my clothes in the washing machine.
I miss my pre-virus life, but am so grateful to have a friend like our vet.

You rescue cats! Did I know that? I don't think I knew that. Thank you from a fellow rescuer!

"Because younger people are more likely to have better Covid-19 outcomes, the new surge in cases might not result in as many deaths as before. Still, “there’s a bit of a false narrative out there that because you’re young, you’re OK if you get infected,” Dr. McDeavitt said. “We see people in their 20s and 30s in our ICUs gasping for air because they have Covid-19.”"
Coronavirus Surge in South and West Looks Different From North's

Seems like people should be saving their money instead of wasting it on some cardboard face nobody will ever see. I guess they'll let people keep them after the season? Of course, I still don't think we'll see a full season.

Here's something to ponder. Will these athletes, with Multi Million $$$ contracts.....who are willing to stay out of a lineup for weeks/months, to Completely rehabilitate an injury.....will they risk potentially permanently damaging their lungs, or even death to themselves or a family member, just to continue playing, if other players begin contracting the virus?

I can see one or more of the sports attempting to start.....but given the Total Cluster f&*k we're in, I can't see any of them making it to the finish.

Oh, and I think we probably could have made sports possible, we're just too screwed up and we didn't do and aren't doing what it would have taken.

Problem is when the states opened up bars and restaurants too many people got the
wrong message-- the message they got was oh now i can party- so that is what younger peop!e did while chucking masks. and social distancing--- so the virus spread
like wildfire and here we are. i cannot imagine any sport going on too long
before players test positive and some others develop symptoms that cause
the sport to shut down----we are a country of people that !ean towards
immediate gratification---this pandemic requires patience and thoughtful
actions on the part of our leaders and citizens-- we dont have enough of
either

Well, I have been so afraid of getting the virus and dying, leaving no one but the state to care for my grandson. It is for him that I have tried so hard to avoid germs. I only have gone to work and the store. My grandson hasn't left the house since school let out on March 13.

My Dad died yesterday, just laying out at the pool. I am picking up a rental car this afternoon and will be driving to San Francisco. I am afraid of the germs in a rental car. I'm afraid of the germs from hugs. I'm afraid of mortuary germs. I am afraid that I have no parents any more, and that I am alone (with my grandson)in this world. Sometimes I really feel that this life sucks. I feel lost, alone, and afraid.

Thanks for listening.

so sorry for your loss Recidivist
sending you hugs

Well, I have been so afraid of getting the virus and dying, leaving no one but the state to care for my grandson. It is for him that I have tried so hard to avoid germs. I only have gone to work and the store. My grandson hasn't left the house since school let out on March 13.

My Dad died yesterday, just laying out at the pool. I am picking up a rental car this afternoon and will be driving to San Francisco. I am afraid of the germs in a rental car. I'm afraid of the germs from hugs. I'm afraid of mortuary germs. I am afraid that I have no parents any more, and that I am alone (with my grandson)in this world. Sometimes I really feel that this life sucks. I feel lost, alone, and afraid.

Thanks for listening.
Safe travels. I'm so sorry you have to go through this - somehow the travel is a 1000x more grueling when it involves death. As another poster pointed out, you and your grandson are a team. Praying for you both.

Predictable, but for different reasons.

The lock up was unsustainable - economically and socially. Nobody that I hang out with thinks the virus is "done for." What we are "done with" is the idea that the only solution is to close up the world. Was heartened to see our Governor tweet about his meeting with business leaders. When a person would tweet "SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN," they would get half a dozen replies saying "WHY DON'T YOU JUST STAY HOME"

The whole point of the lockups was/is to allow frontline and other healthcare workers to prepare and sustain their ICU capacity. To ready themselves for the onslaught and then be able to keep up with ongoing new cases.
I think that is a point that many miss.

Overwhelmed ICU and hospital facilities = no prompt or proper medical assistance for many people. Not just covid cases, but for people having heart attacks/strokes/serious accidents ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deborah_Swell