Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what's going to happen in FL now that the cat is out of the bag about manipulation of data to re-open?
Jones says a superior asked her to open up the data and alter the numbers so that the state's coronavirus positivity rating would change from 18% to 10% — and the state would appear to meet its target to reopen. She says she refused to do that manipulation and others she was asked to, and she was fired on May 18.

Fired Florida Data Scientist Launches A Coronavirus Dashboard Of Her Own
I wonder how Florida counts deaths (considering their deaths totals is relatively low). You can only die once, but even if people have covid, deaths can be reported as death from pneumonia, heart failure, and so on. Would it surprise anybody if they were cooking those numbers?

This is very hard for some people to understand or accept, but Covid isn't the only thing in the world. Life goes on and this is just one more thing to manage. From personal experience, I find that people who have remained locked down since March are exhibiting signs of harm to their mental health.

Everyone needs to decide how much "real life" they are prepared to lose in exchange for mitigating this particular risk. I feel for the kids that are losing a summer - times that are supposed to be the best of their lives and are gone forever.
The best times are only gone forever if they die from covid.

Well, here are some teenagers who were having summer fun. Now they are awaiting covid test results. That must be fun too.
"LAKEWAY, Texas (KXAN) — As many as 200 Texas teenagers may have been exposed to COVID-19 at a “large gathering,” according to Austin Public Health and the City of Lakeway."
Teenagers await COVID-19 test results after ‘Pong Fest’ Party near Lake Travis

“This year, during a nation-wide pandemic, the party took place in Spicewood at a ranch near Bee Creek Road.”

Parents: Son, where are you going?
Son: Just over to the annual Pongfest Party with a couple hundred of my friends.
Parents: Have fun! Don’t forget your mask!

They will get better. And to put a positive spin on it: if your death rate continues to fall, but cases still increase, that means your herd immunity is going pretty well.
No, it won't mean herd immunity is going well. Herd immunity and death rate are two different things. With herd immunity, infection rates are supposed to drop. Death rate lags behind infection numbers. Death rate could also be going lower because younger people are getting infected. It has nothing do do with herd immunity.

Gee, that's a surprise- we are the laughing stock around the world

I don’t know that the US is considered a laughing stock - my family and friends, we are equal parts horrified (by the sheer number of deaths and daily new cases) and bemused (I truly don’t understand the drama behind the wearing of masks/refusing to wear a mask. Grr, just put it on already!).
It’s just so desperately sad that a country I love like I love my own, that it’s floundering so badly.

No, it won't mean herd immunity is going well. Herd immunity and death rate are two different things. With herd immunity, infection rates are supposed to drop. Death rate lags behind infection numbers. Death rate could also be going lower because younger people are getting infected. It has nothing do do with herd immunity.

What I mean is, the more people who catch it and survive (or are asymptomatic) rather than dying, the lower the pool of 'yet to be infected' people will be. I'm trying to find the silver lining on what looks like a very dark cloud.

Just received confirmation call from dentist's office regarding my semi-annual cleaning and checkup tomorrow. I was asked about a dozen health questions all of which were negatives. Special protocol: Call from car upon arrival. Hygienist will come out to get me when it's time for my appointment. No one allowed in waiting room and don't use restroom unless absolutely necessary. Insurance will be billed $15 for PPE; they don't know how insurance will handle the charge. This should be interesting...

Is the PPE covered by insurance? Is it for you or doc the charge? That MOO should be included in the DRG for insurance and covered MOO.

Let us know?

I was supposed to have dental stuff done....in March but I blew it off... now... really taking care of teeth as it may be over 1 1/2 years before I get a cleaning?

Is the PPE covered by insurance? Is it for you or doc the charge? That MOO should be included in the DRG for insurance and covered MOO.

Let us know?

I was supposed to have dental stuff done....in March but I blew it off... now... really taking care of teeth as it may be over 1 1/2 years before I get a cleaning?
I blew off my cleaning too. Was supposed to have done it just before all the dental offices closed.Now they are open again, but I think I will skip the cleaning for now.

I don’t know that the US is considered a laughing stock - my family and friends, we are equal parts horrified (by the sheer number of deaths and daily new cases) and bemused (I truly don’t understand the drama behind the wearing of masks/refusing to wear a mask. Grr, just put it on already!).
It’s just so desperately sad that a country I love like I love my own, that it’s floundering so badly.

It is sad and tragic as well.

Last edited:
What I mean is, the more people who catch it and survive (or are asymptomatic) rather than dying, the lower the pool of 'yet to be infected' people will be. I'm trying to find the silver lining on what looks like a very dark cloud.
That makes sense. Unfortunately we don't even know if covid actually going to result in herd immunity. I believe for herd immunity, immunity to the virus has to develop and last. For instance, we don't develop herd immunity to common cold or flu, because they don't give us long lasting immunity and because there are so many mutant strains.

This is very hard for some people to understand or accept, but Covid isn't the only thing in the world. Life goes on and this is just one more thing to manage. From personal experience, I find that people who have remained locked down since March are exhibiting signs of harm to their mental health.

Everyone needs to decide how much "real life" they are prepared to lose in exchange for mitigating this particular risk. I feel for the kids that are losing a summer - times that are supposed to be the best of their lives and are gone forever.

BBM. I know this opinion is wildly unpopular, lol. I just do not think it is possible to live under ‘we’re all going to die, we’re all going to die!!’ for months and months. It’s a risk, like any other risk, so put on a dang mask and get out there if you want.

I do feel bad for all the young folks who are missing out on so much. You never get your high school sports seasons, concerts, competitions, senior prom or graduation and so much more back. It is sad, and a real loss. The response to that should not be ‘at least you’re not dead’. How insensitive.

Cases are pretty low in my area and going down. We have been wearing masks since mid April I think. Wearing masks works!

Coronavirus: No food, drinks or receptions - the new post-lockdown rules for weddings in England

Weddings taking place when coronavirus restrictions are eased next month are being encouraged to follow new government guidance - which means avoiding food, drink and singing.

Under the guidelines - which apply to wedding and civil partnership ceremonies in England from 4 July - people are being discouraged from singing or shouting, couples will need to wash their hands before and after exchanging rings, and children will need to be held.

The guidance also states no more than 30 people should attend and social distancing rules should be obeyed.

The services should be as short as possible and limited to the parts which make the marriage or civil partnership legally binding.

Receptions or parties after weddings should not take place, but small celebrations will be allowed if they follow the guidelines - meaning up to two households could meet indoors, or up to six people from different households outdoors.

The new guidance on weddings now states:
  • People should wash their hands before and after exchanging rings
  • No food or drink should be consumed as part of the event, unless needed for solemnisation
  • People should avoid singing, shouting, raising voices or playing music at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult and encourages people to shout. This is because there could be an increased risk of transmission from aerosol and droplets.
  • If needed, one person can sing or chant - but they should be behind a plexi-glass screen to protect guests
  • Spoken responses during the service should not be done in a raised voice
  • People should avoid playing instruments that are blown into, such as trumpets
  • Measures should be considered such as avoiding face-to-face seating, reducing the number of people in enclosed spaces, improving ventilation, using protective screens and face coverings, and closing non-essential social spaces
  • Children should be held by a parent or a member of their household
  • People are being encouraged to bring in their own service sheets and prayer mats
  • Venues should take steps to prevent attendees from touching or kissing devotional objects that are handled communally
  • Any rituals which require full immersion in water should be avoided, although small amounts of water can be splashed onto the body
  • Any washing or ablution rituals should not be done at the venue and should instead take place before arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli