Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished doing my taxes which were delayed, but now all due at once by July 15.

6 checks! OMG! 1) Federal Income tax 2019 2) State Income tax 2019 3) The April estimated payments quarterly for federal 4) The April quarterly estimated payment for state 5) The June quarterly estimated payment for federal 6) The June quarterly estimated payment for state.

All at once.... .

To those folks that say that 1,200 + ? was good enough for them for many months...... Good for you that you planned and didn't have any Federal payments due, State payments due, do not have to file quarterlies if you are an LLC or retired etc....
People knew they were going to have 2 quarterly estimated payments due for both state and federal when they chose to take advantage of the extension for filing taxes until July 15th. Everyone was given a break by not requiring people to file by April 15th, as usual. But now they're going to complain because they have to make the estimated payments for April and June at the same time? What did they expect?

Shoulder to shoulder. Link to follow.

Took a while but I found it.

BBC News | UK POLITICS | Blair's statement in full

oh Tresir!! I saw Blair on CNN this week, so I thought this was for real!! He was pretty accurate though...about "the only way out of this" being tests tests tests, antibody tests tests tests, plasma, and eventual vaccines.

(sad face here) I cannot find it... It was recently, but can't find anything recent .....

Last edited:
Contact Tracing in New York:
Test & Trace Corps – Tracing
If you test positive, you’ll receive a call from a Contact Tracer who will:
  • Determine if you need more medical attention
  • Offer services to safely separate at home or at a hotel, including meals and medication
  • Create a list of everyone you had contact with (less than 6 feet for more than 10 minutes) since shortly before the onset of symptoms, including family, friends and coworkers so that they can be directed to the help they may need
The NYC Test & Test Contact Tracers are working to call everyone who has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Please answer the phone if you get a call from:
  • Test+Trace
  • a 212 number
A contact tracer will NEVER:
  • ask for your Social Security number
  • ask for any private financial information
  • ask for credit card information
  • send you a link without proper authentication procedures

Contact Tracing in New York:
Test & Trace Corps – Tracing
If you test positive, you’ll receive a call from a Contact Tracer who will:
  • Determine if you need more medical attention
  • Offer services to safely separate at home or at a hotel, including meals and medication
  • Create a list of everyone you had contact with (less than 6 feet for more than 10 minutes) since shortly before the onset of symptoms, including family, friends and coworkers so that they can be directed to the help they may need
The NYC Test & Test Contact Tracers are working to call everyone who has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Please answer the phone if you get a call from:
  • Test+Trace
  • a 212 number
A contact tracer will NEVER:
  • ask for your Social Security number
  • ask for any private financial information
  • ask for credit card information
  • send you a link without proper authentication procedures

Link to the job post/description for NY contact tracers - Careers - PCG | Public Consulting Group - Solutions that Matter

Link to general info for NY contact tracing - New York State Contact Tracing

... Everyone needs to decide how much "real life" they are prepared to lose in exchange for mitigating this particular risk. I feel for the kids that are losing a summer - times that are supposed to be the best of their lives and are gone forever.

This is one summer that kids are experiencing "real life" like never before. I've seen kids take responsibility for their schoolwork even when no one was there to guide them. I've seen them playing tic-tac-toe with residents on the windows of the long care home. I've seen them learn about racial prejudice and how to speak out for justice. I've seen them learn how to set aside their own activites and spend time making little notes for seniors who can't get out, and zoom with vulnerable classmates who need encouragement. I've seen them learn that wearing a mask helps protect people they don't even know. I've seen them make posters to wave from their cars thanking front line workers. I've seen them working in gardens to do their part during what might become a shaky food supply. I've seen them fix things that get broken instead of buying a replacement.

Oh, this IS real life. Kids are growing.

When my husband and I went out for lunch at a local restaurant, they took my name and phone number for contract tracing purposes. Idk if that's standard for restaurants in NY or if it was something the restaurant decided to do on their own.

I really want to know why I am not seeing ONE media report on contact tracing efforts in states and municipalities. How it's being done, stats or who is doing and how many are employed, what are criteria? Why isn't the media covering this? Or have I just missed it.

This is the ONE ONE ONE thing I want to read about... but crickets???

Where I live, the Public Health Officer appointed 20 employees to be "contact tracers" and gave no training. Only one of them went on one call. My friend who works there, with two master's degrees, sent me the intraoffice emails. The Public Health Officer does not understand what contract tracing is, apparently. He sent one person out on one call (and they did not know what to do).

This was just before we got put on the state list for not meeting reopening standards. They are now getting (some) training. They were able to put together some of the data after groups of activists pointed them toward a couple of super spreading events, but the vast majority of our cases remain untraced.

One thing this Public Health Officer needs to decide (I think he thinks he has a cushy job where he doesn't have to do anything) is whether contact tracing will be by phone only (probably won't work) and whether to use community resources or whether to send contact tracers to hospitals and clinics at the outset.

It works better if younger people are chosen for the "going to door" part and young women get more compliance even on the phone. But we are apparently not going to do either. Doctors in the hospitals are cooperative and social workers already present in hospitals have been amongst the many writing to our PHO to get some action.

We shall see. Cat already out of the bag, though. We have gone from doubling every 35 days to every 18 days - as have several California counties. Our PHO only puts out information on weekdays and doesn't disaggregate by day, so we have had no data going to the State for 3 days. Last week, when the big jump occurred, he delayed the data until an emergency County Supes meeting could take place - it was contentious and eventually had to be conducted without the public present, as some members of the public would not obey the Board's directions.

It sounded like I am going to be provided with PPE during my cleaning/exam. Never been charged for PPE previously; dentist, hygienist, dental assistant have always worn masks and gloves. DH and I have dental insurance, so the PPE charge might be covered. I was advised that I may or may not have to pay for the PPE depending on how our insurance handles it. I'm thinking that I will be given a gown and maybe bonnet and/or booties. I'll definitely report on my experience tomorrow.

Another thing that was mentioned in the confirmation call was that I should "dress warmly" because A/C is making the office quite cold. Any ideas about why they have the A/C set so low in the middle of summer? :confused:
My guess is because they will have more layers of PPE on. If they are wearing it all day
(masks shields gowns gloves) it gets very hot.

My guess is because they will have more layers of PPE on. If they are wearing it all day
(masks shields gowns gloves) it gets very hot.

That makes sense :) They have always worn gowns, masks and gloves, but I'm thinking they will be wearing shields, as well. Maybe they are passing the additional costs onto patients for the special equipment. $15 isn't a big deal for more protection for patients.

This is from the article above. Does anyone know where those statistics are from? Eg. which state, county ?

"Between 85% and 90% of the very sick and dying are African American."

It is not clear from the article where the Guardian got that data? It's clearly important to track the source down IMO.

I cannot take the rest of the op ed seriously.

I agree with Cags. If the deaths and hospitalizations reduce but cases have increased then we are travelling towards herd immunity. You cannot have herd immunity if all those infected die.
According to the Guardian article, the statistics regarding the very sick and dying African Americans are from Montgomery, Alabama. I tend to trust them myself, but if you are able to find different statistics, please share. MOO

Just 285 additional COVID-19 deaths in the US in yesterday’s numbers.

The NY/NJ/CT/MA area continues to add deaths at a rate relative to population that outpaces any other region.

As shown below, those 4 states showed an additional 83 deaths despite having only about 41 million in population.

Meanwhile, 5 states being reported as hotspots — TX, AZ, FL, GA, and SC - showed 30 fewer additional deaths than NY/NJ/CT/MA despite having 33 million more people.

TX - 29 million, 10
FL - 21.5 million, 27
AZ - 7.3 million, 9
GA - 10.6 million, 2
SC - 5.1 million, 5
Total - 73.2 million, 53

NY - 19.5 million, 32
NJ - 8.9 million, 27
MA - 6.9 million, 19
CT - 3.6 million, 5
Total - 40.9 million, 83

Here’s the latest on COVID deaths per 1 million people :
NY - 1,702
NJ - 1,618
CT - 1,211
MA - 1,169

GA - 262
AZ - 218
FL - 159
SC - 139
TX - 83

United States Coronavirus: 2,647,709 Cases and 128,499 Deaths - Worldometer

Yes, but quite a jump in new cases - which won't be reflected in deaths until about a month from now. Hopefully, if more and more new cases are young people, the mortality will go down from its current 5% CFI.

It is actually more predictive to look at the new case levels as a measure of what's going to happen next. We're seeing the last moments of the previous "lockdown" measures (we really had no lockdowns in the US). Next, we'll see the results of reopening.

While death rates came down, we were over 40,000 news cases yesterday (Sunday). At a 5% mortality rate, that would be a death rate of 1600 per day about a month or two from now.

I do believe the overall mortality rate will drop slightly due to the youth of the new cases (more than half under 40) and due to non-overloaded hospitals and a developed, more sophisticated SOC, but I don't think it's going to drop below 3.5%. We'll see a vast number of new hospitalizations, some of them in critical care, all of them in hospital for longer than any other contemporary illness.

The medical costs are going to break many people and many insurance companies. The economic downturn is just beginning and has absolutely nothing to do with mom and pop stores, nail and hair salons or restaurants and bars. That's just a vocal fraction of our economy.

The real damage is ongoing

40,450 cases on Sunday. 43,581 on Saturday.

Rising positivity in tested cases in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Georgia...elsewhere. And meanwhile, sane people are staying home and not supporting any of those small businesses mentioned above. Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon, Costco, Walmart, Target FTW, right? It's a dramatic end to an older economy, which at this rate will never recover.

At least 63% of Americans are worried about getting CoVid at a bar, restaurant or salon. 60% say they are still avoiding all unnecessary transactions. Naturally, states with higher rates top those numbers.

Americans prioritize staying home and worry restrictions will lift too fast — CBS News poll

When my husband and I went out for lunch at a local restaurant, they took my name and phone number for contract tracing purposes. Idk if that's standard for restaurants in NY or if it was something the restaurant decided to do on their own.

It may be a Public Health requirement. In our region, ON, names and contact information must be collected and kept for two weeks and then destroyed for privacy reasons.

They will get better. And to put a positive spin on it: if your death rate continues to fall, but cases still increase, that means your herd immunity is going pretty well.

Sort of. The sad fact is that CoVid has not arrived everywhere in the US (just take a look at any heat map). It'll be percolating and reducing LE for years at the rate we're going.

Nationwide, about 5% of us test positive for CoVid antibodies. In some places, it's just 1%, in New York and New Jersey, it's 20% - but at a huge cost. The cost will be the same, per capita, everywhere.

Current CFI is 5%. That's a lot. If it goes down to 3.5%, and every adult gets it, that's still 3 million deaths or so.

We need at least 60% of us to get CoVid. 5% of us have had it. 55% of us have to get it - and using current known figures, of the under 70 set, 3.5% will die (1% of people 20-40, approximately).

BTW, the earlier your case is diagnosed, the less likely you are to die, so if you haven't had CoVid, one way to avoid death is to be tested once a week. Stay safe.

Testing once a week catches CoVid before it reaches the febrile stage at which organ damage is almost always certain (especially the pockets of the lungs, but also the brain itself - once the loss of smell has occurred, some brain involvement is likely...)

Another report on children and COVID-9, this one out of the Netherlands:

https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/children-and-covid-19

Excerpts:

“RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment is researching the role of children in the spread of the virus. For the time being, they appear to play a minor role.”

“After the partial reopening of primary schools and childcare facilities on 11 May, there was no sudden increase in the reproduction number (based on data as of early June 2020).”

“Denmark was the first country to reopen childcare and primary education, as of 15 April. They have not reported any negative effects after reopening the schools and are not seeing any increase in the reproduction number. A study from Australia showed that there had been confirmed cases of COVID-19 in 9 children and 9 employees. 735 children and 128 employees had been in close contact with these patients. Two other children may possibly have been infected by one of these 18 patients. No other teacher or staff member contracted COVID-19. A study from Ireland looking at 3 children and 3 adults in schools, dating from before the school closure, showed that there were no infections by children in school. The study looked at 1155 contacts in total and identified two patients; these two were both adults that were related to two adult source patients, and the infection took place outside the school. There were 924 children and 101 adults who had had close contact with one of the source patients at school, and none of them had COVID-19.”

That these doctors have to send a letter to the mayor is absolutely sickening.
There is no question that the convention should not be held in any city, let alone in Florida. The republicans should do what the dems are going to do which is a virtual convention (at least that is what i heard or read);

Nothing much will happen.
Solid chain of command down here. Lenny Curry---> Ron DeSantis--->Trump. Solid.

The whole area around Jax is dreading this convention. Our Chamber of Commerce head was all puffy chested about all the $$ coming to our hotels, restaurants, etc., in our county, bordering Jax.
We know how much convention folks like to pahh-ty.
Don't want em here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members