Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In OH, cases are going up. Who was in charge of deciding how to open up? Business leaders, not medical experts. Imagine that. It's like having the fox in charge of chicken coop.
"Business leaders drove the panels that established guidelines for reopening Ohio’s economy while doctors and disease experts took a secondary role."
Coronavirus in Ohio: Medical experts weren't in charge in setting reopening guidelines

what could possibly have gone wrong with no medical experts in charge of deciding how to open up: our country has gone bananas

Well... Facemasks required for Republican National Convention. Lets see how that goes.

one hour ago:
Gov. DeSantis says masks at RNC are 'work in progress'

4 hours ago:
Gov. DeSantis Says No Change On Masks, Even For RNC: 'We'll Be Fine By That Time'
Trump one month ago:
Trump is reportedly insisting the Republican National Convention be held without face masks or social distancing measures

Doctors have sent a very passionate plea to the mayor of Jacksonville, to postpone or at least put on severe limitations to the conference...

All of us locals, who live around Jacksonville do not want 40,000 people from all over the country walking around eating and drinking in our restaurants and hotels... Most of us are planning an "April-like Lock Down"
200 Florida doctors pen open letter to Jacksonville mayor, calling RNC ‘medically disrespectful’

BBM. I know this opinion is wildly unpopular, lol. I just do not think it is possible to live under ‘we’re all going to die, we’re all going to die!!’ for months and months. It’s a risk, like any other risk, so put on a dang mask and get out there if you want.

I do feel bad for all the young folks who are missing out on so much. You never get your high school sports seasons, concerts, competitions, senior prom or graduation and so much more back. It is sad, and a real loss. The response to that should not be ‘at least you’re not dead’. How insensitive.

Cases are pretty low in my area and going down. We have been wearing masks since mid April I think. Wearing masks works!

the problem is there are too many people that refuse to wear masks- they are causing a huge problem for the entire country-

BBM. I know this opinion is wildly unpopular, lol. I just do not think it is possible to live under ‘we’re all going to die, we’re all going to die!!’ for months and months. It’s a risk, like any other risk, so put on a dang mask and get out there if you want.

I do feel bad for all the young folks who are missing out on so much. You never get your high school sports seasons, concerts, competitions, senior prom or graduation and so much more back. It is sad, and a real loss. The response to that should not be ‘at least you’re not dead’. How insensitive.

Cases are pretty low in my area and going down. We have been wearing masks since mid April I think. Wearing masks works!
As far as I can tell, many young people decided not to miss out on fun things. Many of those would be the ones going to parties, bars, and getting infected. That's why the average age of covid infected people is going down.

“Europeans have digested the fact that the US is no longer necessarily a friend for Europe in times of need,” Dennison said.

The ECFR’s analysis suggests the shift in European attitudes transcends hostility to Donald Trump or his administration’s poor handling of the virus outbreak in the US.

This is from the article above. Does anyone know where those statistics are from? Eg. which state, county ?

"Between 85% and 90% of the very sick and dying are African American."

It is not clear from the article where the Guardian got that data? It's clearly important to track the source down IMO.

I cannot take the rest of the op ed seriously.

No, it won't mean herd immunity is going well. Herd immunity and death rate are two different things. With herd immunity, infection rates are supposed to drop. Death rate lags behind infection numbers. Death rate could also be going lower because younger people are getting infected. It has nothing do do with herd immunity.
I agree with Cags. If the deaths and hospitalizations reduce but cases have increased then we are travelling towards herd immunity. You cannot have herd immunity if all those infected die.

Last edited:
I really want to know why I am not seeing ONE media report on contact tracing efforts in states and municipalities. How it's being done, stats or who is doing and how many are employed, what are criteria? Why isn't the media covering this? Or have I just missed it.

This is the ONE ONE ONE thing I want to read about... but crickets???

I was trying to find out as well. There was a report on local NPR radio trying to find out what was being done in Florida, and all they found out was that a few counties were doing a wimpy job trying.

The only two states I know are really trying to develop programs are NJ and MA. Does anyone know more?

I feel the same way - but if it is any consolation - the teens in my area are catching it like crazy because they aren't wearing masks or social distancing - their instagram feeds show it all. They are part of the uptick in Florida I am certain - in my neighborhood alone - 14 were exposed apparently at the beach - their parents are furious of course.
JMO
Do you see discussion of their symptoms, and/or what they are doing once they catch it???

Do you think they caught it at the beach?

We had a large group in the neighborhood go to the beach, instead of individual rooms - they stayed in one large house. Traveled together in SUV’s, shared bathrooms, all used the kitchen, etc.
All under 21 so not allowed into bars.

Some of them had not seen each other much except for social distancing in the yard.

So did someone in the group have it before the trip and then infected everyone while in close quarters?

Or did they get it at the pool with shared bathrooms, chairs, handles, etc?

Or inside at a restaurant? Perhaps a bonfire with other teens?

My cousin in NC put his foot down and his daughter is posting how mean he is and how he has ruined her life by not letting her go to the beach with all her friends.
He says it is his house, his money paying for college, his car she is driving and he wasn’t giving her money to jeopardize their entire household.
It's hard to say as this particular group has been hanging out at their houses too. It just so happens that the big gathering was at the beach - I don't know what the answer is other than for myself which is going to work (essential job) and grocery store and that's about it.

Well... Facemasks required for Republican National Convention. Lets see how that goes.

one hour ago:
Gov. DeSantis says masks at RNC are 'work in progress'

4 hours ago:
Gov. DeSantis Says No Change On Masks, Even For RNC: 'We'll Be Fine By That Time'
Trump one month ago:
Trump is reportedly insisting the Republican National Convention be held without face masks or social distancing measures

Doctors have sent a very passionate plea to the mayor of Jacksonville, to postpone or at least put on severe limitations to the conference...

All of us locals, who live around Jacksonville do not want 40,000 people from all over the country walking around eating and drinking in our restaurants and hotels... Most of us are planning an "April-like Lock Down"
200 Florida doctors pen open letter to Jacksonville mayor, calling RNC ‘medically disrespectful’

That these doctors have to send a letter to the mayor is absolutely sickening.
There is no question that the convention should not be held in any city, let alone in Florida. The republicans should do what the dems are going to do which is a virtual convention (at least that is what i heard or read);

In New York City:

Recent publicly available details from New York City Health and Hospitals illustrate the challenges of contact tracing in the NYC, one of the worst-hit U.S. cities. Of 7,584 reported COVID-19 cases from June 1-20, case investigators reached 82%, but just 37% provided at least one contact. The investigators reached 68% of the 6,672 identified contacts they were given.

Test & Trace: Data

Is contact tracing -- key to COVID-19 fight -- working?
Thanks, Jersey Girl.

Is the PPE covered by insurance? Is it for you or doc the charge? That MOO should be included in the DRG for insurance and covered MOO.

Let us know?

I was supposed to have dental stuff done....in March but I blew it off... now... really taking care of teeth as it may be over 1 1/2 years before I get a cleaning?

It sounded like I am going to be provided with PPE during my cleaning/exam. Never been charged for PPE previously; dentist, hygienist, dental assistant have always worn masks and gloves. DH and I have dental insurance, so the PPE charge might be covered. I was advised that I may or may not have to pay for the PPE depending on how our insurance handles it. I'm thinking that I will be given a gown and maybe bonnet and/or booties. I'll definitely report on my experience tomorrow.

Another thing that was mentioned in the confirmation call was that I should "dress warmly" because A/C is making the office quite cold. Any ideas about why they have the A/C set so low in the middle of summer? :confused:

It sounded like I am going to be provided with PPE during my cleaning/exam. Never been charged for PPE previously; dentist, hygienist, dental assistant have always worn masks and gloves. DH and I have dental insurance, so the PPE charge might be covered. I was advised that I may or may not have to pay for the PPE depending on how our insurance handles it. I'm thinking that I will be given a gown and maybe bonnet and/or booties. I'll definitely report on my experience tomorrow.

Another thing that was mentioned in the confirmation call was that I should "dress warmly" because A/C is making the office quite cold. Any ideas about why they have the A/C set so low in the middle of summer? :confused:
Did they install one of those air purifying thingy?

That doesn't matter. Its ongoing especially as long as we are fighting a common enemy. It goes back to WW1 and 2. That's 100 years. Now we are fighting CV19 together. Never give up, never surrender.
It is not what it once was.

The U.S.-U.K. ‘special relationship’ is in tatters after the resignation of British ambassador

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...fdea4a-a335-11e9-b732-41a79c2551bf_story.html

I have no doubt, however, that the Brits still feel for our people.

That these doctors have to send a letter to the mayor is absolutely sickening.
There is no question that the convention should not be held in any city, let alone in Florida. The republicans should do what the dems are going to do which is a virtual convention (at least that is what i heard or read);
I don't think the election is going to be delayed by CV19. Have you got a link for the Dem virtual convention? It would certainly be a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli