Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The two of them have been travelling around the West with huge doner parties, so who knows who has COVID.

Trump campaign offers donors $1.2 million convention packages

AND THESE FOLKS ARE COMING TO MY TINY LITTLE ISLAND NEXT MONTH.
All these rich doners (who could possibly be infected too) are being offered premier hotel rooms at the Ritz Carlton, on my island. We locals are getting ready to lay real low....

BUT these events take lots of planning--so these folks have to come here a lot before the RNC comes......who knows where all they will be spreading their germs....

I'm sorry and hope you will stay safe. I'm glad the convention is not going to be in NC (the original location).

To achieve herd immunity in the United States without a vaccine 300 million people have to suffer from this disease. The fatality rate is about .5% meaning 1.5 million of them will die. If the health care system is overwhelmed the fatality rate and death toll will be much higher.
Some have stated 43% which would be less at 130 million and 60 and 80% would be 180 and 240 million respectively so US would not need as much as 300 million to get the virus to achieve herd immunity IMO. If it is a year till a vaccine, this will be a long haul. So all hope is on a vaccine this year.

I’m responding to Tresir’s post regarding Africans in the New World: did you mean with Spanish conquistadores or English-Scot-Irish colonials?

And at the risk of this post being deleted, I believe holding a 4th of July rally during a pandemic to be irresponsible. And that doesn’t even come close to the sheer insensitivity of holding it at Mt Rushmore.

This is my ethno-historian of little-to-no-to-unpublished repute opinion.
First slave ship 1619, first Europeans 1492 are the dates I am using. I consider holding two week long gatherings, beach parties, frat and prom parties, indoor Houston type discos etc extremely irresponsible also but at least the rallies were officially sanctioned. AJMO of course.

Coronavirus: One further death and 11 new cases confirmed in Ireland

ONE MORE PERSON has died from Covid-19 in Ireland, the Department of Health confirmed this evening.

In a statement, it said that a further 11 cases of coronavirus have also been confirmed here, bringing the total number of cases to 25,509 .

The death toll from Covid-19 in Ireland is 1,741 .

Such a beautiful precious baby in video :(

Ohio couple gets COVID-19, mother gives birth before dying of virus | NBC4 WCMH-TV

Cradling his baby, a Cleveland man sitting next to a picture of his wife said they had a great life together until they both fell ill with COVID-19.

Sierra Warith, 23, was pregnant with her second child when she and her husband, Ramath Mzpeh Warith, who works at the RTA, tested positive for the virus in May.

Mr. Warith says his wife, who suffered from chronic asthma, began to experience a sore throat and develop a fever so she went to a local hospital. He says their baby was delivered through C-section. Warith would not survive to meet her baby.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

... We are a small place. We have been relatively lucky so far, but we are going to be inundated with 40,000 people in our area who will not be wearing masks, will not be social distancing, and will not really care how careful we all have been. A number will be staying in my town's hotels, eating at our restaurants which will all be serving more alcohol, since the regular bars are closed!! WHILE at time, the this moment, the county of the convention is already at a 20% positive for infection rate, and our hospitals are getting more full each and every day. And obviously contact tracing will be a joke. Walk in these shoes, and you would feel the misery too... We can always hope for a miracle though, right????

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio couple gets COVID-19, mother gives birth before dying of virus | NBC4 WCMH-TV

Cradling his baby, a Cleveland man sitting next to a picture of his wife said they had a great life together until they both fell ill with COVID-19.

Sierra Warith, 23, was pregnant with her second child when she and her husband, Ramath Mzpeh Warith, who works at the RTA, tested positive for the virus in May.

Mr. Warith says his wife, who suffered from chronic asthma, began to experience a sore throat and develop a fever so she went to a local hospital. He says their baby was delivered through C-section. Warith would not survive to meet her baby.

That is just awful and so sad

Heartbreaking. If something like this doesn't stop people behaving irresponsibly, nothing will :(

... We are a small place. We have been relatively lucky so far, but we are going to be inundated with 40,000 people in our area who will not be wearing masks, will not be social distancing, and will not really care how careful we all have been. A number will be staying in my town's hotels, eating at our restaurants which will all be serving more alcohol, since the regular bars are closed!! WHILE at time, the this moment, the county of the convention is already at a 20% positive for infection rate, and our hospitals are getting more full each and every day. And obviously contact tracing will be a joke. Walk in these shoes, and you would feel the misery too... We can always hope for a miracle though, right????
I live in a small place too and we will be inundated with tourists in a couple of weeks. That's our reopening plans anyway. Are you still locked down where you are?

White House link for POTUS address today.

Salute to America | The White House

I don't blame you for being upset. It's like someone walking into your house, vomiting all over the carpet, and walking back out leaving you to clean up their mess while they go back to their pristine house.

If nothing else, it's bad manners and just damn rude.

I live in a small place too and we will be inundated with tourists in a couple of weeks. That's our reopening plans anyway. Are you still locked down where you are?

White House link for POTUS address today.

Salute to America | The White House

We live in a small university town, and 30,000 students will be returning to live and shop and drink and party in this town in August. Will try to stock up before they get here and continue to isolate as much as possible.

One child per seat in every other row. Drop-off times and locations would be staggered.

Yes, and siblings have to share the same seat. Students will sit in exactly the same spot each time they use the bus.

Our schools are talking about having only half the students in the building at anytime. They'll have all their classes with a single teacher and will stay as a pod. They won't mingle with other kids at recess. I'm not sure how any of that will work, but the administrative leaders have a while to figure it out. I am assuming that the breakfast program will be cancelled.

Last edited:
Here is another story from NPR:
Parties — Not Protests — Are Causing Spikes In Coronavirus
June 24, 2020 3:23 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered

Parties — Not Protests — Are Causing Spikes In Coronavirus

The first part of the article is about what occurred in Bellingham, Whatcom County, WA. Erica Lautenbach is the director of the Whatcom County Health Dept.

"We're finding that the social events and gatherings, these parties where people aren't wearing masks, are our primary source of infection," Lautenbach says. "And then the secondary source of infection is workplace settings. There were 31 related employers just associated with that one party because of the number of people that brought that to their workplace. So for us, for a community our size, that's a pretty massive spread.

And much of that spread, Lautenbach says, is affecting young people.

"...in April of this year, we were really struggling with long-term-care outbreaks. And so about 3 out of 4 people were over the age of 30 and really pretty heavily skewed to 60-plus. And by contrast, in June, we're seeing that now 2 out of 3 people that have contracted this disease are under 29."

That trend is mirrored in Florida, where the median age for COVID-19 patients dropped from 65 years old in March to 37 in late June. Dr. Cheryl Holder, an associate professor at Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University, says that's partly because young people are getting exposed more.

"It's really basically who gets exposed," Holder tells Morning Edition. "If you look who is staying in and following the guidelines, [it's] older people who are at risk. The older folks got [the message]; the young people, not so much."

More at link.

I know people just WANT to see the protests as the aggressor here, sooo badly.

Everyone should research locally...that is the best way for you to get your own territory straight, before making broad statements.

I watch (and have posted) a number of local paper's articles here in Florida, where there were larger protests--they say the same thing as you are saying Anneg. The protests have hardly tipped the scale.

NOT POLITICAL. But will go down like a lead balloon no doubt.. But with the lack of guidance and mixed messaging and whatnot.. ever rising cases in certain States it begs the question Where is the WHO? The outside officials who should by now, have stepped up and Urged the individual Governors to mandate masks for a time being, or to at least do something in order to save lives?? It just feels like there are a number of people in a good position, right now sitting off around the World and watching this tragedy unfold. And it is wrong on every level in my opinion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member