Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your rights

You have the right to receive NHS services free of charge, apart from certain limited exceptions sanctioned by Parliament.

You have the right to access NHS services. You will not be refused access on unreasonable grounds.

You have the right to receive care and treatment that is appropriate to you, meets your needs and reflects your preferences.

You have the right to expect your NHS to assess the health requirements of your community and to commission and put in place the services to meet those needs as considered necessary, and in the case of public health services commissioned by local authorities, to take steps to improve the health of the local community.

You have the right, in certain circumstances, to go to other European Economic Area countries or Switzerland for treatment which would be available to you through your NHS commissioner.

You have the right not to be unlawfully discriminated against in the provision of NHS services including on grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity or marital or civil partnership status.

You have the right to access certain services commissioned by NHS bodies within maximum waiting times, or for the NHS to take all reasonable steps to offer you a range of suitable alternative providers if this is not possible. The waiting times are described in the Handbook to the NHS Constitution.

The NHS Constitution for England

Well, how is NHS funded?

Have a close relative who lives in Nevada where masks are required if you are in a public place. He does not wear one and has stated others are not following the governor's directive because "we are not in Vegas or Reno." Apparently, masks are not being required or enforced. So, if bars/etc. don't care if patrons wear, and newer thoughts are on asymptomatic individuals, how is this going to play out? This '"mask here, not enforced, no masks, we don't care" is not working.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations
Common question
Is bleach an effective cleaning agent for the coronavirus disease?

Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted. Prepare a bleach solution by mixing 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) bleach per gallon of water.May 27, 2020
--------------------
looks like it does - I've been using this as well but not on the floor - bad for the pups.

Don't forget to make a fresh batch as you go. Diluted bleach solutions are only good for a day.

Preparing Household Bleach as a Disinfectant

I guess we're lucky because Lysol spray and wipes were only hard to find for the first couple of weeks at the beginning of the pandemic. I don't even buy them anymore as I have quite the reserve built up.

You would choose it if there was rationed health care and limited equipment for treatment to keep costs down. My mother had to wait about a year for her treatment of kidney stones, in Canada, as she was on a waiting list for treatment. In the end, she died from a heart issue, that they thought was pain and discomfort from the kidney stones. I am not saying that I am against socialized health care, just that there are trade-offs and people need to be aware of them.

ETA She was only 68.

Gosh, I'm so sorry. :(

I have some run of the mill heart issues. One thing I've noticed is people from the UK and Canada struggle to get cardiologist appointments. Jmo

I cant imagine how afraid you must be.

How are you feeling about shielding ending on 1st Aug? Will you legally have to return him to school in Sept?[/QUOTE
Normally, unauthorised absence from school will result in a penalty fine. Parents have been jailed for that too. But my Son's school have been in contact with all the parents via phonecalls right throughout the Lockdown. They agree at this point that he should not return and that I would not be at fault. But I'm not sure, if as a rule, his absence would be classed as unauthorised. Which, if that was the case, I would be fined. His school would never force his return themselves. In fact, they would fight any agency on our behalf. I cannot see any agency in the UK demanding that children such as my Son have to be in class though. As long as his Cardiologist' says he is high risk then he will receive classwork for home schooling X

That's good news and interesting to know. I have been researching clinically extremely vulnerable guidelines this afternoon ready for a work meeting tomorrow. Based on shielding ending this month, I was of the opinion that we would be expecting people in that category, or parents/carers affected, to be able to return from 1st Aug. Really helpful to understand it from another perspective.

I would do all I could to keep my son safe too.

ETA sorry, replying to @Victoria Chambers post just above

Have a close relative who lives in Nevada where masks are required if you are in a public place. He does not wear one and has stated others are not following the governor's directive because "we are not in Vegas or Reno." Apparently, masks are not being required or enforced. So, if bars/etc. don't care if patrons wear, and newer thoughts are on asymptomatic individuals, how is this going to play out? This '"mask here, not enforced, no masks, we don't care" is not working.

I see masks on everyone, everywhere I go, and yet, when numbers don't go down, I'm sure the excuse will be "no one was wearing masks."

I would like to know what state or country was prepared for Covid-19. Was anyone fully prepared?

I don't think anyone anywhere was fully for prepared for what's happened, but the ones who get gold stars from me based purely on my personal perception are:

South Korea and Singapore for having experience of SARS type outbreaks and putting their well tested plans into action. Contact tracing started some time in March/April. China too, though points deducted for probably starting it.

Germany for being super efficient and keeping the death rate low. They apparently have more ventilators than most countries and probably had an actual proper plan. No messing about.

Iceland, Australia and New Z for dealing with it pronto and minimising cases. They had a geographical advantage but kudos for kicking Covid where it hurt.

Canada, with no geographical advantage considering how near they are to some of the worst affected US states. The statistical comparisons are stark.

Ireland because they're our nearest neighbour who has come out of this sorta ok. And I love them.

And finally.... drumroll... North Korea for achieving the impossible feat of having zero cases while being sandwiched between countries with loads :rolleyes:

Public Health England report from June:

‘An analysis of survival among confirmed Covid-19 cases and using more detailed ethnic groups, shows that after accounting for the effect of sex, age, deprivation and region, people of Bangladeshi ethnicity had around twice the risk of death than people of White British ethnicity.

‘People of Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Other Asian, Caribbean and Other Black ethnicity had between 10 and 50% higher risk of death when compared to White British.’

This contrasts with previous years where mortality rates were ‘lower in Asian and Black ethnic groups than White ethnic groups’, PHE said.

But it noted its ethnicity analysis did not account for comorbidities, obesity or occupation - which are associated with both the risk of infection and of dying. When separately analysing comorbidities, the review found that people from BAME backgrounds are more likely to have comorbidities that lead to negative outcomes from coronavirus.

It said: ‘The proportion of Covid-19 deaths where diabetes is mentioned ranged from 18% in the White ethnic group, 43% in the Asian group to 45% in the Black group.’

The same ‘disparities’ were found for hypertensive disease, which was present on the death certificate of 20% of those who died with coronavirus. The proportion ranged from 17% in the White ethnic groups to 40% in the Black group and was ‘also high’ in the Asian and Mixed groups, PHE said.

It added that ‘emerging evidence’ has also suggested that a better understanding is needed of the impact of obesity on Covid-19 outcomes ‘particularly’.

Being of Bangladeshi origin doubles Covid-19 death risk, finds PHE review

This is my post that I was thinking of and it was specific to the borough of Newham which had the highest deaths in London boroughs.

From the link in my previous posts I would like to highlight the following.

The data shows that the highest rates of deaths involving Covid-19 are in inner-city areas where lots of people live close together.

The majority of the highest age-standardised mortality rates are in London boroughs, such as Newham, Brent and Hackney.

_112076124_deathrates0105-nc.png

Here is a link to a report on the demographics of Newham, the top London Borough on that list.

https://hummedia.manchester.ac.uk › ...PDF
Web results
Geographies of diversity in Newham - University of Manchester

In Newham, no one ethnic group accounts for more than a fifth of the population. The White British (17%), Indian (14%), African (12%), Bangladeshi (12%) and Pakistani (10%) are the largest ethnic groups. (2011 statistics from the report)

There is also 12% White Non British so a total of 29% White 71% BAME.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
Jun 7, 2020Report

So in Newham, one would suppose that 144 death count was primarily BAME anyway. If they had twice the risk of death than white, instead of a 30/70 % split we should see it more like 15/85 % split. Not sure how I could check that at present but will try and look tomorrow.

It's not. Anyone can get it, and Covid is caused by a virus, which is not capable of racism like a human is. But there are situations of inequality that put certain people at greater risk. There have been many articles linked on these many threads, including one on this page, I think. Worth checking out.

As being 60+ seems to be the biggest indicator, followed by obesity. Lots of risks. :(

Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus

Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus

Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro

7 hrs ago
The Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, has announced live on television he has tested positive for coronavirus.

Related: US is 'still knee deep in first wave' of coronavirus, warns Fauci – live

“It came back positive,” a mask-wearing Bolsonaro told a hand-picked group of reporters on Tuesday lunchtime outside his official residence.

“There’s no reason for fear. That’s life,” the president added. “Life goes on. I thank God for my life and the role I’ve been given to decide the future of this great nation that is called Brazil.”

Bolsonaro, 65, has repeatedly trivialized the pandemic and flouted social distancing, even as Brazil became the second-worst hit country after the United States, with more than 65,000 deaths and 1.6 million confirmed cases.

That's good news and interesting to know. I have been researching clinically extremely vulnerable guidelines this afternoon ready for a work meeting tomorrow. Based on shielding ending this month, I was of the opinion that we would be expecting people in that category, or parents/carers affected, to be able to return from 1st Aug. Really helpful to understand it from another perspective.

I would do all I could to keep my son safe too.

ETA sorry, replying to @Victoria Chambers post just above
No, honestly, my Son having a VSD means he must see the dentist more often than his peers and whatnot. We don't give him sweets etc in order to prevent the usual childhood tooth decay. It would be life threatening for him to get any infection into his bloodstream. It would usually occur from tooth decay and enter into the gums. I don't think Covid would have a problem affecting his bloodstream X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli