Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, realistically we do have to learn to live with it as WHO rightly points out. But in the US we are forced to live with a worse situation than we would have if this had been handled from the beginning without minimizing it and if the efforts by governors to contain it had not been undermined. So in this country, the new “Learn to live with it” slogan feels rather dismissive and callous IMO.

JMO MOO
I agree - we are completely out of control now. I wish I could work from home.
JMO

Whilst I could probably end up learning to live with it. My 5 yr old son could not. Poor boy has been in Lockdown and out of school since March 1st on the order of Cardiologist' at Alder Hey. He has a Ventricular Septal Defect (hole in heart) and is deemed high risk. He has missed virtually his entire year in Reception and I do not see how he can be kept from infection in class in the future. He is such a bright boy and he really is missing school. His older brother dreads going back, but not him. He cannot wait. It's so sad but I just don't see a way around it. It's 100% life risking for him. For any chance of normality, he absolutely depends on a vaccine being discovered X

California Surgeon General: Systemic Racism Is Linked To COVID-19 Pandemic

In the past two months, seven top public health officials in California resigned after facing harassment over recommending the use of masks and other measures. Burke Harris says it’s a difficult time to serve as a public health officer.

The response to the COVID-19 pandemic has been “unfortunately politicized,” she says. Public health guidelines aren’t about politics, she says, but trying to reduce the number of cases and deaths.

“Our public health officers all across the state are working incredible hours, and it's a really difficult time,” she says. “And I think that it's really unfortunate that so many public health officers are facing harassment when they're really showing up to try to protect the health and safety of everyday Californians.”

Everyone in California can help keep others safe by following public health guidelines, practicing social distancing and wearing face coverings, she says.

Like the rest of the nation, California is grappling with the death of George Floyd and racism on top of battling COVID-19. Burke Harris wrote a recent article titled “George Floyd’s Death is Killing Me” that outlines the two pandemics the U.S. faces: COVID-19 and systemic racism.

A through-line connects anti-racism protests and the disproportionate effect of COVID-19 on Back communities, she writes.

When individuals are exposed to repeated threats, particularly during critical development stages, these threats can activate their biological stress response, she says. When the biological stress response is activated too frequently or severely, this can lead to changes in the immune system, brain development or hormonal system — called a toxic stress response, she says.

It’s not a coincidence that Black and Brown people are dying at a higher rate from COVID-19, she says, and this connects to the protests against racial injustice.

“The ways in which Black and Brown folks are dying of racism are captured in a powerful and undeniable way in the video of George Floyd’s death,” she says. “But they're also captured in the numbers of disparities that we are seeing in deaths from COVID-19 as a result of the impacts of racism on health.”

Anti-racist policies “that go across the board” including housing can address this racial inequality, she says, though it will take time to implement.

As California Surgeon General, Burke Harris is leading an initiative called ACEs Aware to help primary care doctors across the state understand how to recognize and address toxic stress response. The success of the program is measured by looking at satisfaction and experience for both patients and providers, and how many doctors take training for ACEs — which stands for adverse childhood experiences.

“Ultimately, what we're driving to is improved health outcomes,” she says.

Parents can help their kids by teaching them how to take care of themselves through difficult times and be part of the solution, she says. A mother of four Black sons, Burke Harris says her family is discussing what the protests and racism mean.

She helps her kids “make meaning” of the protests by talking about how the movement aims to make positive change — and that they can participate. Letting her 4-year-old and 8-year-old sons paint Black Lives Matter signs and put them in the front yard gives her children “an opportunity to be part of the struggle,” she says.

“I think that it's important for our kids in this moment not only to make meaning of what's going on but also recognizing how they can participate affirmatively,” she says, “because otherwise, it can just feel scary.”
Nothing new. It is no secret racial disparities in US healthcare go back hundreds of years. We tried hard to make a difference during the HIV/AIDS epidemic and got nowhere. There is no indication it is any different in covid. Gender, racial, education and class disparity are alive and kicking as well and the issues will likely be swept under the rug again when covid disappears. The stranglehold the 1% have on this country is essentially complete and has been since its inception. Capitalism has a stark downside.

Yes, realistically we do have to learn to live with it as WHO rightly points out. But in the US we are forced to live with a worse situation than we would have if this had been handled from the beginning without minimizing it and if the efforts by governors to contain it had not been undermined. So in this country, the new “Learn to live with it” slogan feels rather dismissive and callous IMO.

JMO MOO
I agree and I don't see it getting better at this point. We now have 43 states with an Rt > 1.0

Since you bring it up, it gets even better...self-dealing and what-not...Jared Kushner’s family, Trump building tenants received coronavirus business aid: SBA

ETA - I feel like Devin Nunes owes me some wine. Devin Nunes’ Winery, Kushner Family Business Raked In Coronavirus Relief Money

These funds are administered by Treasury. As such, people in the Administration and their families should not have ever been allowed to collect funds, as this is self-dealing. But surely one of those "it's not illegal" things.

Last edited:
I actually scored 2 cans last week, by being in local supermarket very early one morning. Felt like I'd won the lottery! Then received Clorox wipes yesterday in my Amazon subscription order.
I found Clorox wipes hidden behind peanut butter, of all things. I left it there because I figured someone had to be pretty desperate to do that.

JMO MOO
So how do you think the government or governors could have handled it differently or better? I thought the governors were pretty much given free reign to deal with it exactly as they all saw fit.

I’m still not understanding how Covid is racist? Not trying to be argumentative but I can’t make any sense of that.
It's not. Anyone can get it, and Covid is caused by a virus, which is not capable of racism like a human is. But there are situations of inequality that put certain people at greater risk. There have been many articles linked on these many threads, including one on this page, I think. Worth checking out.

Nothing new. It is no secret racial disparities in US healthcare go back hundreds of years. We tried hard to make a difference during the HIV/AIDS epidemic and got nowhere. There is no indication it is any different in covid. Gender, racial, education and class disparity are alive and kicking as well and the issues will likely be swept under the rug again when covid disappears. The stranglehold the 1% have on this country is essentially complete and has been since its inception. Capitalism has a stark downside.
Who are the 1% and what do they have to do with Covid? I do not follow you. Not trying to be rude but trying to understand your post as well as the one I posted.

I’m still not understanding how Covid is racist? Not trying to be argumentative but I can’t make any sense of that.
Covid is not racist. It just does what it does. Our healthcare, housing, health insurance, living conditions and many other negative outcomes for minorities are driven by racism and disparities at systemic levels. These "have nots" are being infected and dying at much higher rates. I'm sure this is born out in many countries outside the US as well. jmo

Whilst I could probably end up learning to live with it. My 5 yr old son could not. Poor boy has been in Lockdown and out of school since March 1st on the order of Cardiologist' at Alder Hey. He has a Ventricular Septal Defect (hole in heart) and is deemed high risk. He has missed virtually his entire year in Reception and I do not see how he can be kept from infection in class in the future. He is such a bright boy and he really is missing school. His older brother dreads going back, but not him. He cannot wait. It's so sad but I just don't see a way around it. It's 100% life risking for him. For any chance of normality, he absolutely depends on a vaccine being discovered X

Hang in there. Keep staying safe. A vaccine will surely be discovered and hopefully your son will be high on the priority list.

I wasn't sure if things had changed or not. I turned up at A&E a couple of times when I lived in England and never received a bill. And I'm not even a citizen.

ETA: I did have a number of traffic citations though. I was definitely billed absurd amounts for those.:oops:
That reminds me when I was up in Canada visiting a boyfriend I had there (we met skiing in Quebec at Mt. Tremblant) I got really ill...went to the ER up there and was treated and never had to pay a cent or got a bill. I remember thinking that they were so great at that ER too!

From your link edited. More at link.

Along with age, male gender and certain chronic conditions, race appears to be a risk factor for a severe outcome from COVID-19. Why is that?
Race doesn’t put you at higher risk. Racism puts you at higher risk. It does so through two mechanisms: People of color are more infected because we are more exposed and less protected. Then, once infected, we are more likely to die because we carry a greater burden of chronic diseases from living in disinvested communities with poor food options [and] poisoned air and because we have less access to health care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member