Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Then, it is time for them to leave this country, and go back to their country of origin. Fill out the correct documents, to obtain legal status in the United States.

Everyone is hurting. Their cause is not more important than anyone else's situation or experience. They should not be eligible for valuable resources needed now for United States citizens.

(Hate me, but this is about the law). And I sort of thought that this website was all about the law. No sympathy for people who knowingly break the law and evade authorities.

More than 16,000 Covid-19 cases were from meat and poultry processing facilities, CDC reports

New data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows 16,233 Covid-19 cases were confirmed in meat and poultry processing facilities across 23 states through May 31.

Of the confirmed cases, 87% were among racial and ethnic minorities. There were also 86 Covid-19-associated deaths among workers in these facilities.

There are an 525,000 workers within the animal slaughtering and processing industry across 3,500 facilities in the US.

Because of missing data and asymptomatic and unrecognized cases, the prevalence of Covid-19 in the workforce is likely underestimated.

That is discouraging, but hopefully you are now immune from contracting Covid-19. Is Mr HKP also a recovered Covid patient?
I think it is v likely Major. As my symptoms developed he recognised them from the "flu" he had early March (3 weeks before me). It would explain how he didnt get ill from me too. With a London commute, I was fairly sure he would be infected at some point but we didnt join the dots early on.

California continues troubling trend upward in cases

The raw number of cases reported around the California on Monday obliterated the previous record but comes with an enormous caveat: a number of counties, including L.A., which itself accounts for nearly half the state’s confirmed cases, had backlogs of test results of up to three days because of the long holiday weekend. In total, the statewide case count grew by 16,637, including 8,903 in Los Angeles, to 271,889, according to data compiled by this news organization. Another 109 Californians succumbed to the virus — 81 in Los Angeles — raising the death toll to 6,446.

With the weekend delays accounted for, the average number of new cases reported around the state each day for the past week climbed to its highest point of the pandemic. For the first time, California is adding more than 7,000 new cases per day — 7,041, 28.6% more than a week ago — while the average daily death count reached its highest level in more than a month: 67 lives taken by the virus each day over the past week.

Hospitalizations and test-positivity rate, two metrics frequently cited by Gov. Gavin Newsom and local health officials, also continued to slope upward. There were 5,790 patients hospitalized statewide Sunday, including 504 in the Bay Area. In the past two weeks, the number of COVID-19 patients in hospital beds has doubled in the Bay Area while rising 56% statewide.

The percentage of tests to come back positive over the past seven days also crossed the 7% threshold for the first time since the end of April. In two weeks, it has risen from 4.9% to 7.5% even as the state conducts more tests. Labs around the state reported 25% more positive tests in the past week than the one before (6,826 per day vs. 5,499), despite conducting 12.5% more tests (104,523 per day vs. 92,848).

But California’s still lags many other states, despite recording among the most cases. Its 7.5% rate ranks 18th among all 50 states, well behind Arizona (25.3%) and Florida (18.7%). The country’s rate has seen a similar spike: below the 5% threshold three weeks ago, to 7.8% now.

The World Health Organization has said positivity rates should remain at 5% or below for 14 days before beginning to reopen.

Mexico's Covid-19 cases and deaths have nearly tripled since new reopening measures

Since Mexico entered its "new normal" phase of reopening on June 1, the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths have almost tripled in the country.

The number of cases in Mexico have risen by 180% since June 1, and the number of deaths have also increased by 206% during the same period of time.

On June 1, Mexico entered the new Covid-19 phase, reopening certain sectors of the economy under what they deemed the “new normal.” Meanwhile, the country reported 93,435 cases and 10,167 deaths that day.

On July 6, Mexico reported 261,750 cases of coronavirus and 31,119 virus-related deaths.

Jersey Girl - Thanks for these links. I do have insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield through Obamacare) but my monthly premium is so high that it's almost one entire paycheck out of the two I receive each month. Hard to juggle paying my premium AND actually going to the doctor in the same month. And that's with a $6,750 deductible on top of that. Thank God I'm not on any prescription meds. I can understand people having to go without insurance. It's hard.

Tom Hanks 'has no respect' for people not using masks

"I don't get it, I simply do not get it, it is literally the least you can do. If anybody wants to build up an argument about doing the least they can do, I wouldn't trust them with a driver's licence," Hanks said.

"When you drive a car, you've got to obey speed limits, you've got to use your turn signals [indicators], you've got to avoid hitting pedestrians. If you can't do those three things, you shouldn't be driving a car."

"If you can't wear a mask and wash your hands and social distance, I've got no respect for you, man. I don't buy your argument."
Exactly - I feel the same way. If you can't stay 6 feet away - don't go. IMO.

Lack of healthcare also affects the younger, 18-26 age group.

Without Obamacare, my 27 year old would not have health insurance as she works full-time in an office with less than 5 people.

Without ObamaCare, my 22 year old daughter wouldn't be allowed to stay on my $800 a month policy I have AT WORK, which has a $2,000 deductible. Dental is an additional monthly cost.

I don't even want to discuss the possibility of dismantling the healthcare system for the 18-26 year old age group.

___

I have a sorta-related story. My daughter studied in Austria for her Masters degree. We have dental insurance here in the US and her wisdom teeth were starting to both her. We were frantic, thinking I would have to get her a flight home to have it taken care of, what the cost would be, the oral surgeon charges, etc. etc.

Before we hit the PURCHASE button, my daughter went to a local oral surgeon in Austria, had an appointment set up the next day, he took out 2 of her wisdom teeth, gave her some medication, and had a follow up appointment. She had no insurance, total cost $60. $60!!!

It would have cost me at least triple here, if not more just for the office visit, and that would have been with dental insurance!

Last edited:
It doesn't work that way in Canada. If I move back to Canada, I have to wait one year before I am eligible for Canadian health care. Even though I have Canadian citizenship.

I know exceptions are sometimes made. I have a friend who was Canadian and got sick with cancer in Europe. She moved to Canada and her treatment was paid for almost right away. Sadly she died. We knew it wasn't likely to be effective. But she wanted to get her family back in Canada before she died. I was grateful the Canadian government didn't refuse to cover her medical care.

EPA approves 2 Lysol disinfectants tested to kill novel coronavirus on surfaces | abc7ny.com

The EPA has begun to approve surface disinfectants specifically proven to kill SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus, in laboratory testing.

The agency announced that two products, Lysol Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist, were both approved last week.

Lysol said in a news release that Lysol Disinfectant Spray "was found to kill the virus at two minutes of use."

EPA said it expects to approve additional products in the coming weeks.

If only we could actually find some!

Environmental Protection Agency has approved two products for killing the novel coronavirus on surfaces following laboratory testing.

EPA approves first surface disinfectant products tested for the coronavirus

Lysol Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist are the first two products to get the approval, which allows parent company Reckitt Benckiser to legally make claims that the product can kill the virus that causes COVID-19.

EPA approves 2 Lysol disinfectants tested to kill novel coronavirus on surfaces | abc7ny.com

The EPA has begun to approve surface disinfectants specifically proven to kill SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus, in laboratory testing.

The agency announced that two products, Lysol Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist, were both approved last week.

Lysol said in a news release that Lysol Disinfectant Spray "was found to kill the virus at two minutes of use."

EPA said it expects to approve additional products in the coming weeks.
This is very good news but has anyone been able to actual buy Lysol lately? I checked online and nope - nothing. I haven't seen it in store in months either.

There is none to be had! I’m just using bleach at this point. Doesn’t bleach pretty much kill everything?
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations
Common question
Is bleach an effective cleaning agent for the coronavirus disease?

Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted. Prepare a bleach solution by mixing 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) bleach per gallon of water.May 27, 2020
--------------------
looks like it does - I've been using this as well but not on the floor - bad for the pups.

Your rights

You have the right to receive NHS services free of charge, apart from certain limited exceptions sanctioned by Parliament.

You have the right to access NHS services. You will not be refused access on unreasonable grounds.

You have the right to receive care and treatment that is appropriate to you, meets your needs and reflects your preferences.

You have the right to expect your NHS to assess the health requirements of your community and to commission and put in place the services to meet those needs as considered necessary, and in the case of public health services commissioned by local authorities, to take steps to improve the health of the local community.

You have the right, in certain circumstances, to go to other European Economic Area countries or Switzerland for treatment which would be available to you through your NHS commissioner.

You have the right not to be unlawfully discriminated against in the provision of NHS services including on grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity or marital or civil partnership status.

You have the right to access certain services commissioned by NHS bodies within maximum waiting times, or for the NHS to take all reasonable steps to offer you a range of suitable alternative providers if this is not possible. The waiting times are described in the Handbook to the NHS Constitution.

The NHS Constitution for England
Thanks LB. This is dated 0ctober 2015 so I expect it will change come 31 Dec 2020.

It is subject to the following for those from abroad at present. Free coronavirus testing and treatment plus some other services.

How to access NHS services in England if you're visiting from abroad

This information is for people who are visiting England from abroad. It tells you how to access different types of healthcare and whether you might need to pay.

Find out how to access healthcare, including planned treatment, in Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing and treatment
Overseas visitors to England, including anyone living in the UK without permission, will not be charged for:

• testing for coronavirus (even if the test shows you do not have coronavirus)
  • treatment for coronavirus
No immigration checks are needed if you only have testing or treatment for coronavirus.

See GOV.UK: NHS entitlements for migrants for information in other languages on free testing and treatment.

How to get healthcare
If you're not sure how to get the help you need, use this checklist to guide you.

For information about conditions and treatments, read the Health A-Z guides.

You will need to pay for some things such as eye tests, dental treatment and prescriptions, just like people who live in England.

Find out more about paying NHS charges.

General practitioners (GPs)
GPs are the first point of contact for nearly all NHS patients.

They can direct you to other NHS servicesand are experts in family medicine, preventative care, health education, and treating people with multiple and long-term conditions.

If you're planning to live and work in England, you need to register with a GP practice.

You'll need to fill out a GMS1 form using exactly the same details you used when you filled out your visa.

It's up to the GP practice to decide whether to accept new patients or not, but they can only refuse for non-discriminatory reasons.

But being registered with a GP practice does not in itself mean you'll be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment.
Continued at link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads