Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New York, New Jersey, Connecticut add Delaware, Kansas and Oklahoma to quarantine list

Individuals visiting New York, New Jersey or Connecticut from Delaware, Kansas and Oklahoma will be required to quarantine for 14 days, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced in a statement Tuesday morning.

The other 16 states requiring quarantine for 14 days are: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah

“The quarantine applies to any person arriving from a state with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents over a 7-day rolling average or a state with a 10 percent or higher positivity rate over a 7-day rolling average," the statement said.

Coronavirus pandemic: Updates from around the world

Last edited:
No we do not. We can turn up to any NHS hospital or doctors for any treatment and the only payment due will be £9.15 (approx $11-12) for a medical prescription.

Interesting video:

AOC and Sanders tout NHS after video of Brits gasping at US healthcare goes viral
I wasn't sure if things had changed or not. I turned up at A&E a couple of times when I lived in England and never received a bill. And I'm not even a citizen.

ETA: I did have a number of traffic citations though. I was definitely billed absurd amounts for those.:oops:

Last edited:
More Than 7,300 New Coronavirus Cases in Florida, as Positivity Rate Sets Daily Record

Florida added more than 7,300 new coronavirus cases Tuesday, as the state's virus-related death toll rose by more than 60 and a daily record for positivity rate was reached.

The 7,347 new COVID-19 cases brought the state's total to 213,794, according to figures released by the Florida Department of Health.

Tuesday's total of new cases was about 1,000 more than were reported Monday but still well below Saturday's record-setting daily total of 11,458.

The state has seen a large increase in cases in the past week, with more than 61,000 confirmed in that span of time.

The percent positivity for the new cases reported Tuesday was 16.27%, a record high. It was the eighth consecutive day the rate has been over 14%.

The positivity rate of all tests reported Tuesday was 19.30%, also a record. The median age of people who tested positive in Tuesday's results was 40.

Statewide, more than 2,271,000 people have been tested for COVID-19, with an overall percent positive of 9.4%. More than 16,400 hospitalizations for COVID-19 have been reported in Florida to-date.

The state reported 63 new virus-related deaths among Florida residents, bringing the total to 3,841.

More Than 7,300 New Coronavirus Cases in Florida, as Positivity Rate Sets Daily Record

Florida added more than 7,300 new coronavirus cases Tuesday, as the state's virus-related death toll rose by more than 60 and a daily record for positivity rate was reached.

The 7,347 new COVID-19 cases brought the state's total to 213,794, according to figures released by the Florida Department of Health.

Tuesday's total of new cases was about 1,000 more than were reported Monday but still well below Saturday's record-setting daily total of 11,458.

The state has seen a large increase in cases in the past week, with more than 61,000 confirmed in that span of time.

The percent positivity for the new cases reported Tuesday was 16.27%, a record high. It was the eighth consecutive day the rate has been over 14%.

The positivity rate of all tests reported Tuesday was 19.30%, also a record. The median age of people who tested positive in Tuesday's results was 40.

Statewide, more than 2,271,000 people have been tested for COVID-19, with an overall percent positive of 9.4%. More than 16,400 hospitalizations for COVID-19 have been reported in Florida to-date.

The state reported 63 new virus-related deaths among Florida residents, bringing the total to 3,841.
:eek:

From your link:

Arizona reports 3,653 new COVID-19 cases, record-high 117 deaths

Arizona health officials reported 3,653 additional coronavirus cases Tuesday and 117 more known deaths.

That brings the state’s documented totals to 105,094 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 1,927 known deaths.

According to the state's data dashboard, 811,870 people have been tested for the virus. Of those that have been processed, 11.3% have come back positive.

Since June 2, the percentage has spiked back up from 5.7% to 11.3%

I wasn't sure if things had changed or not. I turned up at A&E a couple of times when I lived in England and never received a bill. And I'm not even a citizen.

ETA: I did have a number of traffic citations though. I was definitely billed absurd amounts for those.:oops:

Well, we have to pull in income from somewhere, but we just choose to penalise naughty drivers rather than sick and injured people :p

How Chattanooga, Tennessee, became a coronavirus hot spot

Hamilton County, where Chattanooga is located, recorded a single-day record on July 1, with 118 new cases. It has also had 16 deaths since June 1, bringing the total death count as of Sunday to 35 .

This city, like so many others in the South, has the makings of a virus hot spot: It reopened quickly, there is little regard for masks and distancing, which studies show help mitigate the disease, and contact tracers have begun to lose threads on possible infections. Meanwhile, bars, restaurants, gyms, beauty parlors, pools and many other businesses have remained open despite a precipitous increase in coronavirus infections.

This all hits the Hispanic community particularly hard. Hamilton County Health Department data show that Hispanics have an outsize infection rate compared to other groups, likely because they are more often essential workers who live in multigenerational homes.

The infections are beginning to spread throughout Chattanooga, however, without regard to ethnicity. The reasons appear clear: Many residents seem to be carrying on as though there is no pandemic. Politicians, health experts and residents also said everything was made increasingly difficult by the perceived politicization of responding responsibly to the disease.

I think it may be different now for non citizens but MOO only.

oh Miami :(

Miami-area gyms and outdoor dining can stay open as coronavirus cases spike

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Giménez said he met with the county’s Wellness Group Tuesday morning and came to a compromise to keep gyms and fitness studios open during the coronavirus pandemic.

People inside "must wear a mask or do strenuous training outside staying 10 feet apart w/out mask,” Giménez tweeted.

Giménez is also slated to issue an upcoming executive order allowing outdoor dining to continue under the current spike in coronavirus cases with restrictions.

The mayor is expected to speak at a 12:30 p.m. ET press conference alongside Gov. DeSantis where the two will address Covid-19 updates in the city of Miami and the state of Florida.

This is a pandemic - a national emergency. State or federal should fund the costs IMO.

If it can fund Biden's law firm why can't it fund the tests of those who cannot afford a test?

Biden-founded law firm, as well as a company tied to Pelosi, received PPP funds, docs show | Fox News

It is immaterial where I am from - I was employed by POTUS and the DOD for decades. I am allowed to comment on WS.

I think there were funds allocated in the CARES Act that provided for costs of COVID testing and some treatments/hospitalizations. I will have to go back and check.

Tucson mayor says Arizona coronavirus patients may have to be sent to other states for ICU care

Tucson, Arizona, Mayor Regina Romero said that she’s very concerned about the lack of intensive care unit beds and the disorganized effort for testing and contract tracing as cases soar in the state.

Romero said that ICU bed capacity is at its limit. Pima County only has five to 10 ICU beds available some days, she said.

Romero said test results are taking too long and there’s a disjointed process for contact tracing.

Romero has implemented a mask mandate in her city, but she wants Gov. Doug Ducey to put a statewide mandatory mask order in place.

“We need the governor and the federal government to come and help organize our efforts so that we can take this under control,” she said.

I think it may be different now for non citizens but MOO only.

There was a case on here a couple of years ago, Roger Curry. Found in an English country lane suffering so badly with dementia he barely knew who he was. Turned out his American family had brought him here "on vacation" with the full intention of dumping him here alone to go into a (free) dementia care home so they didn't have to pay for his old age.

Identified! - UK - Hereford, LIVING WhtMale, ~75, US/Canadian accent, Nov'15 - Roger Curry

(I find this article fascinating)

China: bat virus ancestor to the COVID-19

Date: Sun 5 Jul 2020

Source: Daily Mail [abridged, edited]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8491491/Coronaviruss-closest-ancestor-SEVEN-YEARS-ago-bat-infested-China.html

A virus 96% identical to the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 was
found in an abandoned mine in China 7 years ago, according to an
investigation. The bat-infested copper mine in Mojiang, western China,
was home to a coronavirus that left six adult men sick with pneumonia
and 3 of them died.

Scientists took samples from the bats' feces, found on the cave
floor, and stored them in a laboratory 1000 mi away
in Wuhan for years while studying them.

That virus, named RaBtCoV/4991 at the time,
now appears to be the closest relative to SARS-Cov-2, which is causing
Covid-19, a Sunday Times investigation has found. The virus has
reportedly been featured in only one widely-available scientific paper that
didn't mention the fact it had caused fatal pneumonia in humans.

<modsnip: Copyright violation. No more than 10% of an article can be copied.>

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if it does work, and it certainly has some adherents in the medical community. The most recent work from Ford seems to show confounding effects of steroids, and as pointed out, has not been peer-reviewed. But it's another piece of the puzzle, and worth examining. It is bizarre that it has been politicized - a politician shouldn't be pitching any drugs, and any "vindication" (not that science really works that way) would be for the doctor who told them about it in the first place - not the politician who is definitely not an expert. Strange times indeed. But let's hope this additional research brings us closer to to understanding how to treat this disease. JMO.

A lot more study is needed - but it would appear that HCQ is good for patients in a particular category (where CoVid is attacking that and not this. IOW, just as the study states, there was a protocol for who got what. Obviously, a larger study that's randomized is needed - but this study would certainly show that for a subset of patients, HCQ or HCQ + AZ works much better than nothing. If a patient didn't have pneumonia to begin with, I assume they went into the HCQ only pile.

If a patient has no pneumonia and no cardiovascular abnormalities, does HCQ work better than nothing? (They're already in pretty good shape, comparatively speaking).

Also, all of those patients apparently got a steroid, which we know *does* work. How to disentangle all this?

Do what the article says and look for studies with control groups.

Mr HKP just back from work. Shared a tube train in London with a pissed up group of males in their 30s. No masks, which contravenes regs. This was about 6pm :(

That is discouraging, but hopefully you are now immune from contracting Covid-19. Is Mr HKP also a recovered Covid patient?

Last edited:
Poor bugger.
These are the current rules.

How the NHS charges overseas visitors for NHS hospital care

There was a case on here a couple of years ago, Roger Curry. Found in an English country lane suffering so badly with dementia he barely knew who he was. Turned out his American family had brought him here "on vacation" with the full intention of dumping him here alone to go into a (free) dementia care home so they didn't have to pay for his old age.

Identified! - UK - Hereford, LIVING WhtMale, ~75, US/Canadian accent, Nov'15 - Roger Curry

How odd. Who would choose thousands of dollars in medical bills? Well, besides the 1% who can afford it.

You would choose it if there was rationed health care and limited equipment for treatment to keep costs down. My mother had to wait about a year for her treatment of kidney stones, in Canada, as she was on a waiting list for treatment. In the end, she died from a heart issue, that they thought was pain and discomfort from the kidney stones. I am not saying that I am against socialized health care, just that there are trade-offs and people need to be aware of them.

ETA She was only 68.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member