Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #67

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Over 90 percent of all the strains that we’ve analyzed in Arizona so far have this particular mutation,..."

Strain of COVID-19 that may spread more, be less deadly linked to most of Arizona's cases | 12news.com
Strain of COVID-19 that may spread more, be less deadly linked to most of Arizona's cases

Perhaps this means that all the test vaccines are going to have to be adjusted? To take into consideration this mutation.

If so, there are going to be more delays in any potential vaccine.

A shocking map of USA and Canada showing red markings denoting Covid 19 cases.

Take note: "For example, a single red dot in New York City or Los Angeles accounts for more cases than in all of Canada."

I think I can speak for most Canadians--- we don't want the border opened.

This map shows why it would be 'terrifying' to open Canada-U.S. border

Is the CDC serious? I’d think school would be a priority in areas that have a handle on things. and keep it that way. Florida wouldn’t be one of those places.

locally - hotspots being distributed this month. Chrome books to students without a home computer last month or late May ?

cleaning products. I hear there are major shortages of the raw materials. No link so moo/rumor

PPE I posted a link a few days ago how this is still an issue even now even in places that aren’t currently being overwhelmed

just hoping things stay ok here in the NE. I’m expecting some sort of resurgence. At some point.

Last edited:
"Retailers have a message for state governors: Please make everyone wear a face mask."

"The Retail Industry Leaders Association, which represents Target, Home Depot and other major chains, believes that the hodgepodge of rules around the country have created confusion for shoppers and that has lead to conflict between customers and workers trying to enforce store rules."

Well, of course, it causes confusion to shoppers who do not know store policies.

Major retailers to states: Mandate face masks now

Colorado:

COVID-19 testing site at Denver's Pepsi Center closes early amid long lines and limited capacity

“Denver’s coronavirus testing site at the Pepsi Center closed its gates after noon on Tuesday as demand grew so high that city officials became concerned that already limited lab capacity would further delay test results.

The early closure of the site offers the latest indication that testing capacity in Colorado remains fragile months into the COVID-19 pandemic, especially as novel coronavirus cases are surging once again in parts of the U.S. and health officials report shortages in testing supplies nationwide.“

—-

Coronavirus In Colorado: Gov. Polis Extends Disaster Declaration Again

“DENVER (CBS4) — Gov. Jared Polis has once again extended the disaster declaration for coronavirus. This is the fifth time he’s issued the emergency order since March 10. By signing the executive order, the governor opens the state to more relief funds from the federal government.“

—-

As Colorado’s new COVID-19 cases remain elevated, state sees uptick in hospitalizations – The Denver Post

“Coronavirus infections remained elevated in Colorado for a third consecutive week as the state’s COVID-19 hospitalizations have begun to creep upward for the first time in months.

Colorado is still not experiencing the same type of surges as states such as Arizona, Texas, Florida and California. But the state’s rate of positive coronavirus test results has jumped since the first week of June, meaning that transmission of COVID-19 is increasing and that the rise in new cases is not simply due to more testing.“

[...]

““The next week or two there’s going to be a lot of focus on watching that positivity rate,” said Dr. Lisa Miller, professor of epidemiology at the Colorado School of Public Health.“

—-

Hundreds wait in line for COVID-19 testing in Colorado Springs following holiday weekend - KRDO

Last edited:
Eric Toner has been planning for a pandemic for years. He's briefed world leaders on outbreaks and how to best prepare entire nations for mass casualties. He's simulated epidemics in real time and studied the world's response to major global health emergencies like SARS and the 1918 influenza pandemic.

But nothing could've prepared him for how the COVID-19 pandemic would play out.

Toner is a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and a world leader in pandemic preparedness. The threat of a novel coronavirus is not new to him. In fact, in October 2019, Toner and the team at Johns Hopkins ran a coronavirus pandemic simulation in New York, months before COVID-19 started spreading across the world. As part of the half-day, tabletop exercise, Toner met with other health professionals to walk through a theoretical coronavirus outbreak and examine how governments and private businesses would respond.

Johns Hopkins has run these simulations for years, with Hollywood-sounding code names like Dark Winter (smallpox) and Clade X ("a biologically-engineered, intentionally-released airborne pathogen" which caused hundreds of millions of hypothetical deaths). The goal of the simulations is to help public health experts and policymakers better prepare for the eventual day a real pandemic arrives.

Now that day has come.
'We'll be living with masks for years': COVID-19 through the eyes of a pandemic expert

"Retailers have a message for state governors: Please make everyone wear a face mask."

"The Retail Industry Leaders Association, which represents Target, Home Depot and other major chains, believes that the hodgepodge of rules around the country have created confusion for shoppers and that has lead to conflict between customers and workers trying to enforce store rules."

Well, of course, it causes confusion to shoppers who do not know store policies.

I love to shop and look at clothes but i won't be going to any retail store in the near future: can't imagine touching clothes or trying them on with this pandemic. I have no confusion and i dont care about their policies. If i did go to a retail store I would wear a mask and stay my distance from other shoppers, but i will not be visiting a retail store anytime soon and I really miss that.

Colorado:

COVID-19 testing site at Denver's Pepsi Center closes early amid long lines and limited capacity

“Denver’s coronavirus testing site at the Pepsi Center closed its gates after noon on Tuesday as demand grew so high that city officials became concerned that already limited lab capacity would further delay test results.

The early closure of the site offers the latest indication that testing capacity in Colorado remains fragile months into the COVID-19 pandemic, especially as novel coronavirus cases are surging once again in parts of the U.S. and health officials report shortages in testing supplies nationwide.“

—-

Coronavirus In Colorado: Gov. Polis Extends Disaster Declaration Again
“DENVER (CBS4) — Gov. Jared Polis has once again extended the disaster declaration for coronavirus. This is the fifth time he’s issued the emergency order since March 10. By signing the executive order, the governor opens the state to more relief funds from the federal government.“

—-

As Colorado’s new COVID-19 cases remain elevated, state sees uptick in hospitalizations – The Denver Post

“Coronavirus infections remained elevated in Colorado for a third consecutive week as the state’s COVID-19 hospitalizations have begun to creep upward for the first time in months.

Colorado is still not experiencing the same type of surges as states such as Arizona, Texas, Florida and California. But the state’s rate of positive coronavirus test results has jumped since the first week of June, meaning that transmission of COVID-19 is increasing and that the rise in new cases is not simply due to more testing.“

[...]

““The next week or two there’s going to be a lot of focus on watching that positivity rate,” said Dr. Lisa Miller, professor of epidemiology at the Colorado School of Public Health.“

—-

Hundreds wait in line for COVID-19 testing in Colorado Springs following holiday weekend - KRDO

Why is testing in this country equal to that of a third world country? it is outrageous- Waiting in line for hours and waiting for results for up to 10 days- what????

Perhaps this means that all the test vaccines are going to have to be adjusted? To take into consideration this mutation.

If so, there are going to be more delays in any potential vaccine.

Some comments you may find of interest:

July 1 WHO Briefing / transcript /
Press briefings

Jim Roope: (20:46)
“Yes, thank you very much and hello everyone. I apologize for not having a question about the Mediterranean thing, but I do have a question about, as I understand it, there is no vaccine for a coronavirus, and this is the first coronavirus pandemic. So my question is, if there is a vaccine that is developed successfully for this coronavirus, and I’m assuming there will be. Will that help in developing a universal vaccine for the coronavirus, or just a universal vaccine in general? Would this be a great step toward that?

Dr. Michael Ryan: (21:34)
Universal vaccines against respiratory pathogens are really the holy grail of our longterm hopes. We’ve spent many decades thinking and hoping for a universal vaccine against influenza, and that has not been achieved. Although, much work is currently underway to develop such a universal vaccine, and that work is funded by many agencies around the world, including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. So, identifying the targets in viruses that are conserved over time, in other words, sequences or proteins that we can develop vaccines against, that allow us to give a universal protection, are very important.

It remains to be seen whether a vaccine against this coronavirus would provide any cross protection against other coronaviruses. Many of the vaccines being developed are being developed against the surface proteins of the virus. There is a constant variation in those proteins, and therefore we would hope that the vaccines that are developed will be effective against this strain of the virus. It remains to be seen whether that would provide any cross protection. And I would imagine, given the longterm threat presented by coronaviruses and what we see out there in nature, that the longterm pursuit of more universal vaccines against [Sarah’s 00:23:00] coronaviruses should be a longterm objective in the vaccine development community.

But for now, we deal with SARS-CoV-2, and what we do need is a safe and effective vaccine against this virus. And as you know, many, many products are currently in the pipeline, many now in clinical trials. We hope that such vaccines will be number one, effective. Number two, safe, and number three, will be accepted by people around the world and be available for everyone who needs them. And those outcomes are not a given, and we have a lot of hard work to do in order to be able to achieve that. But yes, the pursuit of universal vaccines is a very positive idea, but as I said, it’s easy to say, it’s hard to do. We’re many decades into influenza control, and we’re still not close to having universal vaccines against that virus.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove: (23:54)
Thanks Mike. Just to add, to say that I think this is a very good question, and it’s a good opportunity to say that the work on vaccines for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, began even before January, 2020 with the development of vaccines for SARS-CoV-1 and for MERS. And so, the work that began there was building the research capacity, building the techniques and the technologies that could be used to advance vaccine development as a whole. And so, in January, 2020, we didn’t start from scratch. We had a new virus, we had a new pathogen, and being able to know what that is triggered our work into focusing on SARS-CoV-2, as Mike has just said.

But the collaborations that began with scientists all over the world, with manufacturers, with production companies. That started before, and now we’ve enhanced that, and now we’ve accelerated that. Working towards a vaccine that is safe, that is effective, and that is available for those who need it. But I think we should pay homage to the people who have been working on coronaviruses for decades. There are a number of coronaviruses that circulate. And so, those that did the hard work for SARS-CoV-1, those that are doing the work for MERS, because MERS is still circulating in the Eastern Mediterranean region, and other countries as well. Any advancement we could make for a coronavirus vaccine, will get us closer to a vaccine for any coronavirus that emerges. Hopefully this work will pay off in the long run.”

Last edited:
“Over 90 percent of all the strains that we’ve analyzed in Arizona so far have this particular mutation,..."

Strain of COVID-19 that may spread more, be less deadly linked to most of Arizona's cases | 12news.com
Strain of COVID-19 that may spread more, be less deadly linked to most of Arizona's cases

Seems to fit with what I see on the ground. Everyone I encounter is either coughing, or claims to have had the virus, but I've only heard of two deaths in my extended circle - both men in their 80's.

And the fear is universal - people who yelled at me for wearing a mask are entirely different when they think they have it.

We have the mask mandate im California yet many people in my area ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member