Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #67

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Victoria infections are rising quite dramatically. We are now approaching 300 new daily cases in that state with all of the testing that is going on. (Darn that testing, maybe we should stop it. :rolleyes: )

Numbers are creeping up in our state of NSW as well ... just in low double digits at the moment. These two states did not close their state borders early on, while the rest of us did. Though they are also the two states that had to receive all of the incoming Aussies returning home.

So sad that we now have community transmission.

A Member of Parliament, and a pediatrician, are both featuring on morning TV today to demonstrate how to wear a mask correctly.

View attachment 255170
Coronavirus (COVID-19) current situation and case numbers
That is really unfortunate. You guys were so close.:(

Coronavirus deaths tick up in Florida, Texas, California, Arizona as states grapple with growing outbreaks

Covid-19 fatalities have steadily ticked up across the nation with the average number of fatalities a day rising over the last three straight days to over 600 on July 9, based on a seven-day average of daily reported deaths, driven by surges in several hot spots. Epidemiologists say it is cause for concern that deaths are beginning to accelerate again, even if it’s just a few days of data.

U.S. officials and the general public should have seen the rise in deaths coming, Larry Levitt, executive vice president for health policy at the Kaiser Family Foundation, told CNBC. Deaths tend to lag new cases because it can take weeks for a patient to get sick enough to be hospitalized and eventually die.

“This was predictable. We seem to have had difficulty in this country looking a few weeks in advance,” Levitt said. “But we know the pattern that as more people get infected, more people get hospitalized and ultimately more people die.”

Good news, in my opinion.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/g...ld-wages-in-next-stimulus-bill-mnuchin-says-2

Goodbye, extra $600: Unemployment benefits won’t exceed former wages in next stimulus bill, Treasury’s Mnuchin says

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday that the Trump administration wants to cap enhanced unemployment benefits in the next coronavirus package to make sure workers do not get benefits amounting to more than their former wages.

Under the coronavirus bill enacted in March, workers, to encourage compliance with stay-at-home orders, received as much as $600 per week in addition to their regular unemployment benefits, which critics say encouraged the jobless to not look for work.

I think we should be ready and prepared to go back into lockdown at any time going forward over the next months, jmo.

Yeah I wasn’t going to say it.

Yep. Getting my Walmart order put in tonight for next week. I need to buckle down and focus on what we need to get. No way is GA not locking down soon.

Yes, we were. If only that quarantine hotel security guard could have kept it in his pants. :mad:

This, in my opinion, is an important story that should not be forgotten. The fragility of eradication strategies is on display in this case, and I suspect there will be countless more to follow. It just doesn't seem possible to plug all the potential leaks - especially in countries with land borders.

Gov. Justice Considering Closure Of Mon County Bars, Indoor Dining As Area Sees Spike In Virus Cases

Gov. Jim Justice says he is considering closing bars and indoor dining in Monongalia County as the Morgantown area experiences a spike in the number of new coronavirus cases. Justice said in a Friday virtual news briefing that closing bars and indoor dining in the county may be the only way to avoid another statewide shutdown.

The governor pleaded with residents to heed an executive order issued this week to wear a mask to prevent the shutdown of businesses in Monongalia County, which could ultimately expand to affect businesses elsewhere.

“This is the only bullet that I've got right now,” Justice said of the potential of closing businesses in the county located in the North Central part of the state. “The next bullet that is available is [to] shut our state back down.”

““We're trying to manage the risk. We know this disease and killer is right here, right now. We all know that,” Justice said. “And what are we trying to do [is] we're trying to manage the economic aspect, the absolute emotional and mental and physical aspects of everything and manage the risk as best we possibly can. At the end of the day, all we're doing is trying to get ourselves to the vaccine. That's all we're doing.”“

This, in my opinion, is an important story that should not be forgotten. The fragility of eradication strategies is on display in this case, and I suspect there will be countless more to follow. It just doesn't seem possible to plug all the potential leaks - especially in countries with land borders.
Vietnam did a fine job.

Family is at it again...sisters lake home is packed full. We have a huge family, by the way, so what I am seeing from afar..is little by little her and her husband let their guard down..now the house has even more family members eating take out tonight inside, folks sleeping over, one sil just came up from visiting her daughter in MD. They have all been visiting my dad in the hospital (he's been discharged), let's see..there are 8 extended family members, two flown in from Florida, one flown in from Dallas..hanging out there tonight...It's worrisome.

In some part but this started in nations where kids were still in school and we know the death rate or even rate of serious complications in children is vastly lower than most flu or other viruses.
Yes. It may be lower, but millions of kids are now going to be back in school, including kids with underlying conditions. Definitely... Definitely... The virus will catch them, and I do believe there will be child deaths.

““We're trying to manage the risk. We know this disease and killer is right here, right now. We all know that,” Justice said. “And what are we trying to do [is] we're trying to manage the economic aspect, the absolute emotional and mental and physical aspects of everything and manage the risk as best we possibly can. At the end of the day, all we're doing is trying to get ourselves to the vaccine. That's all we're doing.”“
"At the end of the day, all we're doing is trying to get ourselves to the vaccine. That's all we're doing.”

That's a bad place to be, friend.

Dr Fauci ....

"I have a reputation, as you probably have figured out, of speaking the truth at all times and not sugar-coating things," Dr Fauci told the Financial Times this week.
"And that may be one of the reasons why I haven't been on television very much lately."

Trump and top COVID-19 expert not speaking as pandemic worsens

Last edited:

Very fragile. This virus is hellacious. But we are playing whack the mole as hard as we can. We don't want to end up like other virus-rampant countries, if we can possibly avoid that.

BTW: Our strategy has always been suppression, as we know that eradication is near-impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025