Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #67

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, family members test positive for COVID-19

“Mayor Bottoms also shared with CNN's Chris Cuomo that her husband and one of their children also tested positive.

“This is startling for me because we’ve been so very careful. We’ve taken all of the precautions you can take. We wear mask we wash our hands I have no idea when and where we were exposed," she said Monday.”
——
I wonder what prompted her to be tested?
I hope they all have a quick and full recovery.

This pandemic has shown me a side of many people I did not know existed. I have been blown away by the absolute self-absorption of some friends and family members. Blown away. I'm still trying to process the self-centered behavior I have seen.
One of my dearest friends has absolutely shocked me with her attitude about this.

Family is at it again...sisters lake home is packed full. We have a huge family, by the way, so what I am seeing from afar..is little by little her and her husband let their guard down..now the house has even more family members eating take out tonight inside, folks sleeping over, one sil just came up from visiting her daughter in MD. They have all been visiting my dad in the hospital (he's been discharged), let's see..there are 8 extended family members, two flown in from Florida, one flown in from Dallas..hanging out there tonight...It's worrisome.

Yes, I keep seeing this over and over (little family reunions taking place...people do some "social distancing" photos and then..little by little, the photos are just normal things - with people sitting side by side, catching up - loving their time together - but no longer social distancing, as that makes for less intimacy.

Families who decide to gather should know this. There will be lots of people who break the rules, a few people who leave when that gets started, and possibly some who get CoVid. They won't know it at the time.

I also see people refusing to go to these reunions, and posting about how bad they feel - but they simply think it's a terrible, possibly life-endangering activity. A lot of those people are parents - and while we keep saying "kids don't die," most literate and involved parents know that kids can still get pretty sick.

They don't know, in advance, if it will be their kid.

I also see people refusing to go to these reunions, and posting about how bad they feel - but they simply think it's a terrible, possibly life-endangering activity. A lot of those people are parents - and while we keep saying "kids don't die," most literate and involved parents know that kids can still get pretty sick.

They don't know, in advance, if it will be their kid.

But it's really 2 Degrees of Separation. Sure, the kid may not have serious symptoms, or even Any symptoms. But that does not mean they won't pass the virus onto their mother. OK, well perhaps the mother doesn't have any serious symptoms either. But she visits a store, and gives the virus to an at-risk person, who then becomes hospitalized, and survives. But before doing so, they pass it onto their spouse, who also is hospitalized, but does not make it.

We're all in this together. Or at least we should all act like we are.

Gitiana1, don't you surmise that it is the people who are feeling sick that are going for testing?
That would absolutely skew the positive percentages. Healthy people for the most part, or those with no symptoms aren't waiting in lines for hours to be tested. MO
You're working in or around Santa Ana, Ca. Right?
I know that many of the office buildings there don't have windows that open.
That would really bother me.
Zoom meetings, masks or not, I just can not see myself in a closed in space without fresh air. Seriously.
Right now, fresh air and distance is key.
This nasty MF virus wants to infect and NEEDS to infect people to survive.
P.S. M stands for Mother. F stands for a word I cannot say.
I hate this thing.
Gitiana, you are probably just fine. I heard a doctor say with the current percentages, that it would be a one in 4,000. Chance that you'll be in contact with an infected person.
Most sick people are not out and about.
Yes, there are silent spreaders, but for the most part they appear to be young people with no symptoms.
I worry about my health compromised husband who is dealing with the public 6 days a week.
We are all scared and worried.
This virus sucks!

My office is in Orange (the Orange Circle) and it’s an old converted California Bungalow and the windows are sealed. I’ve been trying to get the landlord to let me have them unsealed.

But I am deemed an essential worker and have little choice. These people need me to represent them. Hopefully I won’t get anything.

I would definitely think more people who are feeling sick are getting tested. For sure. But if everyone was tested the positivity rate could be around the same, I would think, because many people are asymptomatic. And a lot of others now just get mild symptoms and so don’t get tested. You know what I mean?

What I do know is that scientists and doctors have stated repeatedly that certain positivity rates are an indicator, taking into consideration that most of those getting tested are those who are feeling pretty ill.

Because the higher the positivity rate among just those feeling ill, the more widespread it is in the community at large.

I hope you’re right about the risk percentages. I try to be as careful as I can. It’s hard to be perfect. This is a terrible scourge but we also have to keep things in perspective and not become panicked and fall victim to despair.

We all need to take it seriously. Wear masks. Avoid crowds for awhile. Keep clean. Help protect one another.

That’s a tall order now.

But despite that this thing is going to run its course. Because that’s what pandemics do.

People bash Trump for saying “One day it will disappear.” But he didn’t pull that out of nowhere. He’s grabbing on to things experts have told him.

It is actually true, IMO. (And I’m super far from a fan, let me say).

In the meantime, as most know here, we have a responsibility to minimize the horrific damage and save lives, by being responsible, ethical, citizens. We need to weather the storm until this passes. If we don’t, the economic damage will be harder to recover from. And much more importantly, we will have lost too many valued lives and too many will suffer catastrophic, debilitating illness.

We can prevent a lot of that.

But I firmly believe: This too shall pass.

Iirc, her husband was sleeping a lot, moo.

eta:

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms tests positive for coronavirus

“I'm processing this, all of this. I just received my results. My husband literally has been sleeping since Thursday, which is just not like him, so I decided that we should all get tested again."”

—-

eta2: Chris Cuomo is such a sweetie here:

Atlanta mayor held news conference while awaiting COVID-19 test results

“Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, who announced this week that she and two of her family members tested positive for COVID-19, said she has received the results for the rest of her family.

In a Wednesday morning tweet, the mayor wrote: “We FINALLY received our test results taken 8 days before. One person in my house was positive then. By the time we tested again, 1 week later, 3 of us had COVID. If we had known sooner, we would have immediately quarantined. “
———
Aren’t you supposed to self isolate while waiting for test results?

I remember on the news, she got tested after the protests and then again sometime after the funeral.

She has 4 children, it has to be scary with her mother now too being tested.

Except, he did.

I disagree. He heard about this from someone advising him. He grasped onto it. Sadly, he didn’t grab onto it WHILE imploring the nation that we had to make serious, short term sacrifices. But it isn’t from nothing:

Abstract
Since its emergence in Wuhan, China, on November 2019, the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has been progressively invading every corner of the world. As of today (April 30), it is responsible for more than 3.2 million confirmed cases and more than 220 thousand deaths in 186 countries (1). SARS-CoV-2 belongs to the enveloped, positive-sense, single-stranded RNA (+ssRNA) Coronaviridae family of viruses, which includes at least 49 different species (2). Coronaviruses are known to infect both birds and mammals, usually producing either respiratory or gastrointestinal diseases (3). Two previous highly pathogenic outbreaks of coronavirus infections have occurred during the last decades: severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) outbreak which started in China in 2003 (4), and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), first identified in Saudi Arabia in 2012 (5). Both of those had a fast expansion and a relatively high case fatality rate (CFR), but after being subject to crucial public health, interventions to control their dissemination. Before a vaccine could be developed, both diseases tended to fade away.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341279864_Could_SARS-CoV-2COVID-19_simply_fade_away

When will the Covid-19 epidemic fade out?
Abstract
A discrete-time deterministic epidemic model is proposed with the aim of reproducing the behaviour observed in the incidence of real infectious diseases. For this purpose, we analyse a SIRS model under the framework of a small world network formulation. Using this model, we make predictions about the peak of the Covid-19 epidemic in Italy. A Gaussian fit is also performed, to make a similar prediction.

Competing Interest Statement
The authors have declared no competing interest.

Funding Statement
no fundings
When will the Covid-19 epidemic fade out?

(Reuters) - The coronavirus pandemic is likely to take about two years to run its course, the head of Germany's public health agency said on Tuesday, adding that much depended on the speed with which a vaccine against the virus was developed.
German institute: Two years for pandemic to run its course

Pandemics end. They can periodically come back (yellow fever, cholera, polio- until effective vaccines and treatments). But they do end.

Atlanta mayor held news conference while awaiting COVID-19 test results

“Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, who announced this week that she and two of her family members tested positive for COVID-19, said she has received the results for the rest of her family.

In a Wednesday morning tweet, the mayor wrote: “We FINALLY received our test results taken 8 days before. One person in my house was positive then. By the time we tested again, 1 week later, 3 of us had COVID. If we had known sooner, we would have immediately quarantined. “
———
Aren’t you supposed to self isolate while waiting for test results?

I remember on the news, she got tested after the protests and then again sometime after the funeral.

She has 4 children, it has to be scary with her mother now too being tested.

You mentioned that she was tested after the protests, was she one of the protesters? I haven't been following her case.

Reactions: MrX
Georgia COVID-19 hospitalizations surge, breaking new records

“Yet, this surge in hospitalizations comes just as parents across Georgia are trying to decide whether to send their children back to school next month.

"I definitely can't make a decision for all these parents," Schmidtke says. "But, I will say, as a parent myself, I have chosen to do the virtual school route. It is really hard to imagine reopening schools when we are surging and illness, the way that we are. The only real thing that has changed since the time that we closed the schools in March versus today is that we have more widespread transmission of disease in our communities, than we did then."

Schmidtke is encouraging Georgians who can to mask up and stay home.

"We’re all tired of this," she says. "We all want to get back to normal. But we need to understand that the virus doesn’t care whether we’re tired of it. It just wants get to the next human."”

—-

Georgia sets new single-day record for coronavirus cases

Last edited:
Lots of great news in the latest CDC weekly COVID surveillance report published earlier today and covering the week ending July 4. The report is available here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/pdf/covidview-07-10-2020.pdf

Here are excerpts of some of the highlights:

“Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 6.9% during week 26 to 5.5% during week 27, representing the eleventh week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC. The percentage is currently below the epidemic threshold.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“For children (0-17), cumulative COVID-19 hospitalization rates are much lower than cumulative influenza hospitalization rates at comparable time points* during recent influenza seasons.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“Nationally, levels of ILI activity remain below baseline for the twelfth week and in all 10 surveillance regions for the past ten to thirteen weeks.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“The percentage of outpatient and emergency department visits for ILI are below baseline nationally and in all regions of the country.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“Nationwide during week 27, 1.2% of patient visits reported through ILINet were due to ILI. This percentage is well below the national baseline of 2.4%.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“Nationwide during week 27, 3.2% of emergency department visits captured in NSSP were due to CLI.” That’s less than half of the percentage of emergency department visits attributable to CLI in late March and much of April, and it means 96.8% of emergency department visits captured in NSSP during this week ending July 4 were attributable to something other than CLI.

I haven’t been paying much attention to airline stuff. Did I recently read that American Airlines is going to full flights now, no seat spacing?

Also, my doctor, who I absolutely love, is apparently taking her large family on vacation to the Bahamas in a few weeks. The mind boggles.

You read that correctly about American Airlines bc I read the same thing as well. (No link so IMO)

But it's really 2 Degrees of Separation. Sure, the kid may not have serious symptoms, or even Any symptoms. But that does not mean they won't pass the virus onto their mother. OK, well perhaps the mother doesn't have any serious symptoms either. But she visits a store, and gives the virus to an at-risk person, who then becomes hospitalized, and survives. But before doing so, they pass it onto their spouse, who also is hospitalized, but does not make it.

We're all in this together. Or at least we should all act like we are.

Exactly.

Lots of great news in the latest CDC weekly COVID surveillance report published earlier today and covering the week ending July 4. The report is available here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/pdf/covidview-07-10-2020.pdf

Here are excerpts of some of the highlights:

“Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 6.9% during week 26 to 5.5% during week 27, representing the eleventh week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC. The percentage is currently below the epidemic threshold.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“For children (0-17), cumulative COVID-19 hospitalization rates are much lower than cumulative influenza hospitalization rates at comparable time points* during recent influenza seasons.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“Nationally, levels of ILI activity remain below baseline for the twelfth week and in all 10 surveillance regions for the past ten to thirteen weeks.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“The percentage of outpatient and emergency department visits for ILI are below baseline nationally and in all regions of the country.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“Nationwide during week 27, 1.2% of patient visits reported through ILINet were due to ILI. This percentage is well below the national baseline of 2.4%.” (Bold italic emphasis added by me)

“Nationwide during week 27, 3.2% of emergency department visits captured in NSSP were due to CLI.” That’s less than half of the percentage of emergency department visits attributable to CLI in late March and much of April, and it means 96.8% of emergency department visits captured in NSSP during this week ending July 4 were attributable to something other than CLI.

That is good news. I was cringing when I started to read because I feared you were being sarcastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773