DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Slavitt [URL='https://twitter.com/ASlavitt']@ASlavitt[/URL]
·
33m

NEW: Houston & Tampa see 800% increase in nursing home cases. Phoenix 900%.

The just isolate the old strategy is not just a bad social strategy, it is hard to make work.

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1282153281540755456

He actually has a quoted WSJ article embedded in his tweet that's got more specifics/details here: https://twitter.com/arpitrage/status/1282059496169275392

But showing the issue of trying to just isolate the elderly wasn't working in the South (West and SE) anymore than the NE earlier b/c younger people were asymptomatically carrying/exposing many in the community and without enough testing, it's ending up rampant in community living settings because of workers, etc. then carrying it.

(The charts linked show Kansas City has leveled a bit, but was on a similarly horrible case trajectory among the elderly as Phoenix, San Antonio, Houston, and Tampa, plus comparisons with the NE)

Well it appears that it’s happened. Very small peanuts compared to what’s going on in the USA,,but.....in B.C. Canada we have kept our numbers low....until we recently opened up....quite cautiously....and now we appear to have our first community outbreak in a resort type small city not too far from us, which is linked to two hotel B&B type of facilities, July 1 Canada Day Celebrations and the beach. I don’t know exact numbers...they mentioned 8 confirmed but stated it could be thousands. We won’t know exact numbers until Monday. They are advising anyone who was out and about in the downtown area which includes the beach to isolate. We are in an even smaller resort community....full of out of province tourists...lots of B&Bs and I fear we are next.

In Florida, over 40 hospitals max out ICU capacity amid coronavirus surge

A surge of coronavirus cases in Florida has maxed out dozens of intensive care units (ICUs) at hospitals around the state, following an attempt by local officials to institute a phased reopening of the economy.

Over 40 hospitals are now hitting their limit with regard to ICU capacity, according to a CNBC News report.

This news comes on the same day that Florida reportedly announced its second-highest one-day COVID-19 infection rate.

“We’re putting ourselves at risk and other people aren’t willing to do anything and in fact go the other way and be aggressive to promote the disease,” Dr. Andrew Pastewski, who serves as ICU medical director at Jackson South Medical Center, told Reuters. "It’s just disheartening."

I love Tom Hanks.
Tom Hanks 'Has No Respect' for People Not Wearing Masks

Well it appears that it’s happened. Very small peanuts compared to what’s going on in the USA,,but.....in B.C. Canada we have kept our numbers low....until we recently opened up....quite cautiously....and now we appear to have our first community outbreak in a resort type small city not too far from us, which is linked to two hotel B&B type of facilities, July 1 Canada Day Celebrations and the beach. I don’t know exact numbers...they mentioned 8 confirmed but stated it could be thousands. We won’t know exact numbers until Monday. They are advising anyone who was out and about in the downtown area which includes the beach to isolate. We are in an even smaller resort community....full of out of province tourists...lots of B&Bs and I fear we are next.

I am so sorry to hear this. I know exactly how you feel. Time to buckle down again and jump on this outbreak.

Travel, uncontrolled, is what has been the crippling effect in the United States. It has allowed the virus to go unchecked, rampant, even where it had been flattened to nothing.

I guess that the new goal, is to get Covid as soon as possible, while there is still hospital space and staff left standing.

They want freedom of choice.
How about using that freedom to care about others. Choose to care! Wear a mask. Otherwise fine them all. IMO:mad:

Here in Melbourne we have gone back into 'lock down', due to numbers rising because of community spread.
There are no protests to 'open up', fines if you don't follow the rules, and I hope, numbers come down quickly.
Those that don't follow rules, are quickly 'caught'.
The entire Country supports, to help during this 'outbreak', from the top guys, down to thousands of 'helpers'.
I hope, down the track, this massive response will be publicized as to the way 'to go forward'.
It depends on great LEADERS.

Nightly News Full Broadcast (July 11th)
I think he looks cool in that mask. Might should utilize that to his advantage.
Tuff, like a Ninja warrior. :cool: Ha! He looks better in the mask. I need one like that.
Ok, Go ahead, tomato me up all you want.
Libertarian I am. You guys know me, sure you do.
Still love ya anyway. :)

Sorry to just dump here but...I am so stressed about the planned bridal shower that was to happen the last week of July in our backyard. Since the invites went out the Covid cases just kept exploding.
Youngest daughter (bride & nurse), flying in from D.C. is getting an earful of my exes cavalier attitude about it all.
Oldest daughter is in mama bear mode doesn’t want to be exposed or expose her newborn, (don’t blame her), very cautious about this, wants to make this into a drive by shower. Only 6 people maybe attending, but all from different areas and have differing attitudes.
I was all set to order a large tent and several large tables to space people properly, but oldest says no. Youngest is adamant to have the shower.
I want to crawl under my bed. :(

Each morning, I wait for the Press Conference, bringing in the numbers overnight.
Hoping, due to the enormous effort, with the community following rules, we will be be safer soon.
Even when I walk my dog, I have a thick scarf wound around my neck, and make sure it covers my mouth, when passing other dog walkers.

Victoria's coronavirus lockdown is still likely some days away from affecting case numbers

Victoria's coronavirus lockdown is still likely some days away from affecting case numbers

By Yara Murray-Atfield

8 hrs ago
Health officials and epidemiologists are hoping Melbourne's coronavirus lockdown could start to have an impact on case numbers within days, but have warned the measures will only be successful if people follow restrictions.

Victoria has now had six days of triple-digit case increases every day, including a record 288 infections announced on Friday and 216 on Saturday.

Stage three restrictions came into force on Thursday, covering about 5 million people in metropolitan Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire for six weeks.

On Saturday, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said he was hoping the new restrictions would have an effect "from now".
He said data showed movement across Melbourne was slowing even before the restrictions officially came into effect, which could have an impact as well.

"So it would be great if that plateauing was occurring now, but really with respect to the stage three restrictions that we've got across metro Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, it's in the next three to five days that it should be really having an effect."

But Professor Sutton had earlier warned the peak could be yet to come.

Sorry to just dump here but...I am so stressed about the planned bridal shower that was to happen the last week of July in our backyard. Since the invites went out the Covid cases just kept exploding.
Youngest daughter (bride & nurse), flying in from D.C. is getting an earful of my exes cavalier attitude about it all.
Oldest daughter is in mama bear mode doesn’t want to be exposed or expose her newborn, (don’t blame her), very cautious about this, wants to make this into a drive by shower. Only 6 people maybe attending, but all from different areas and have differing attitudes.
I was all set to order a large tent and several large tables to space people properly, but oldest says no. Youngest is adamant to have the shower.
I want to crawl under my bed. :(

It is interesting how this Covid situation has changed families. We used to have family visit often in the Summer. Not this year. However, three or four actually called us to ask if they could come stay a few days.

What? Seriously? The answer was a definite, "no". And THEY were OFFENDED! WTH? No. My husband is medically fragile. No one is coming here to stay. Or for coffee.

'It makes no sense' | Mayor Turner disagrees with sending kids back to school
Turner says he wants COVID-19 to be better under control before discussing sending kids back to school.

“"It makes no sense to be having this conversation while this virus is out of control," Turner said. "You don’t send kids back to school when there's a raging fire and the fires still burning in August. Put the doggone fire out in July, so shut down for a couple of weeks."

Saturday, the city reported a record-high number of cases in a single day: 1,524. It is the second time this week the city reported more than 1,000 new cases in a single day.

"Parents can't even rationalize it," the mayor said. "In order to give people that added comfort, you’ve got to get control of this virus in July."”

—-

Twitter

“The numbers continue to move in the wrong direction in this City and in this State. For the first time more than 1500 Houstonians tested positive in a single day. We need a Stay Home Order or at the very minimum return to Phase 1 for 2 weeks. We need to hit the reset button. st

— Sylvester Turner (@SylvesterTurner) July 12, 2020

Last edited:
Total elimination of COVID-19 'not realistic': Deputy CMO

Total elimination of COVID-19 'not realistic': Deputy CMO

Lara Pearce

5 hrs ago
Totally eliminating coronavirus from Australia is not a realistic goal until a vaccine has been rolled out, one of Australia's top doctors has said.

Speaking to the Weekend Today show this morning, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Nick Coatsworth said eliminating COVID-19 would mean no cases for a minimum of four incubation periods of the virus – or at least eight weeks.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has remained adamant that Australia will not pursuing an elimination strategy, instead using extensive testing, contract tracing and social distancing to locate and then suppress outbreaks.

Dr Coatsworth backed this approach today, saying Australia was working to achieve "suppression to the point of elimination".

This means Australians should expect to see ongoing small clusters moving forward.

"What we are aiming for – and what we have achieved in seven out of eight jurisdictions – is suppression to the point of elimination, suppression to the point of absence of community transmission," he said.

"That's the setting that we believe is the best balance between public health and getting society moving again."

Florida 11-year-old girl dies of COVID-19, state data shows

This little girl who died of Covid in Florida had a variation of Down Syndrome, Trisomy-13.

The problem with this, is the implications this has for Children who are in Special Education in public school, who may have underlying health issues. Literally, going to school could very well kill them.

So much for "Least Restricted Environment", and integrating children with disabilities with their non disabled peers. Now, the goal will be to keep them as isolated as possible from Non disabled children.

It is interesting how this Covid situation has changed families. We used to have family visit often in the Summer. Not this year. However, three or four actually called us to ask if they could come stay a few days.

What? Seriously? The answer was a definite, "no". And THEY were OFFENDED! WTH? No. My husband is medically fragile. No one is coming here to stay. Or for coffee.

“or for coffee”...:D :D this made me laugh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734