Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida 11-year-old girl dies of COVID-19, state data shows

This little girl who died of Covid in Florida had a variation of Down Syndrome, Trisomy-13.

The problem with this, is the implications this has for Children who are in Special Education in public school, who may have underlying health issues. Literally, going to school could very well kill them.

So much for "Least Restricted Environment", and integrating children with disabilities with their non disabled peers. Now, the goal will be to keep them as isolated as possible from Non disabled children.

This is just awful!!! :(:(:(

It is interesting how this Covid situation has changed families. We used to have family visit often in the Summer. Not this year. However, three or four actually called us to ask if they could come stay a few days.

What? Seriously? The answer was a definite, "no". And THEY were OFFENDED! WTH? No. My husband is medically fragile. No one is coming here to stay. Or for coffee.

I have a similar situation
Family (20somethings), knocking on my door
Without a mask

I put the word out, I'm not answering the door
#Don'tKillGrandma

I'm old enough I don't mind dying
I'm good
But I prefer not to suffer or linger

I want to go all soft and cozy in my bed
If possible;)

I live in Manitoba, Canada where we are down to 4 cases. We've had 11 days with no new cases and no one has been in the hospital for Covid in ages. Our population is only 1.37 million, but 780,000 people live in one city/area. We are in Stage 3 of re-opening carefully with no uptick in cases. I guess you could say we've done everything right so far, and are reaping the benefits. Stick to the rules given by your medical officers... no cheating ... or this virus will make you pay.

It is interesting how this Covid situation has changed families. We used to have family visit often in the Summer. Not this year. However, three or four actually called us to ask if they could come stay a few days.

What? Seriously? The answer was a definite, "no". And THEY were OFFENDED! WTH? No. My husband is medically fragile. No one is coming here to stay. Or for coffee.

Omg, this reminds me of my seriously dysfunctional family. It’s like my sister asking me to go visit my parents in their late 80s. Here we are, in different counties, 60 miles away. My husband still has his business (essential) , and we just got back from checking on our property in another state. Called “traveling”.

She’s much, much closer to them so not sure why she’s calling me. Yet again, she took them on a road trip to the beach in Florida right when this Pandemic blew up!!! She’s a nut job. So Alright then....Something's sure off in Denmark.
Yeah, get me started on my screwed up family, might get more than you bargained for. LOL. :D

I have a similar situation
Family (20somethings), knocking on my door
Without a mask

I put the word out, I'm not answering the door
#Don'tKillGrandma

I'm old enough I don't mind dying
I'm good
But I prefer not to suffer or linger

I want to go all soft and cozy in my bed
If possible;)

We really need to get this # trending!

I want to crawl under my bed. :(

I would too @Midgie2. :( It sounds like the safest place to be, actually. I’m sure you’ll be able to work out a safe and sane compromise, keeping in mind that traditions are having to be discarded or reimagined for safety. There’s always zoom. I attended a very nice zoom funeral today.

If you feel comfortable renting a tent and social distancing, oldest daughter really doesn’t have veto power does she? She can choose not to attend, or keep an even bigger distance without bringing baby, as hard as that is. Unless of course, she committed to giving the shower. Then all bets are off and you go hide under your bed! Keep us posted.

Sorry to just dump here but...I am so stressed about the planned bridal shower that was to happen the last week of July in our backyard. Since the invites went out the Covid cases just kept exploding.
Youngest daughter (bride & nurse), flying in from D.C. is getting an earful of my exes cavalier attitude about it all.
Oldest daughter is in mama bear mode doesn’t want to be exposed or expose her newborn, (don’t blame her), very cautious about this, wants to make this into a drive by shower. Only 6 people maybe attending, but all from different areas and have differing attitudes.
I was all set to order a large tent and several large tables to space people properly, but oldest says no. Youngest is adamant to have the shower.
Oh goodness, that sounds stressful. It’s hard to plan things when there is so much uncertainty in our lives right now.

How many are flying in?

Maybe have the youngest daughter/bride send out a note nicely stating that masks and social distancing is expected so everyone is on the same page? (Or whatever safety guidelines you decide on)

Last edited:
Coronavirus Australia live news: Testing continues across Victoria as lockdowns in Melbourne enter day four
A new grim coronavirus record for the US

The US has posted a new record number of daily infections, with more than 66,000 new cases confirmed yesterday, the fifth day in a row that the number of new cases exceeded 60,000.

The resurgence of the virus has prompted several states to tighten restrictions.

Louisiana has become the latest of a growing number of states to require that masks be worn indoors, and the Governor, John Bel Edwards, has also ordered the closure of bars across his state.

More than 60 US Marines based in Japan test positive in past few days
The Governor of Japan's Okinawa island has demanded the US military take tougher coronavirus prevention measures.

This comes after Japanese officials were told that 61 US Marines at two bases have been infected over the past few days.

Officials say the disclosure of the exact figures came only after repeated requests to the US military.

The US military says the two bases have been put in lockdown.

Okinawa is home to about 25,000 American troops.
1a834c20-0fbd-4224-9968-b7a461d3d583_800.jpg

AP: Maya Alleruzzo, file photo

Florida 11-year-old girl dies of COVID-19, state data shows

This little girl who died of Covid in Florida had a variation of Down Syndrome, Trisomy-13.

The problem with this, is the implications this has for Children who are in Special Education in public school, who may have underlying health issues. Literally, going to school could very well kill them.

So much for "Least Restricted Environment", and integrating children with disabilities with their non disabled peers. Now, the goal will be to keep them as isolated as possible from Non disabled children.
Let’s not forget there are students with various physical limitations who are not special ed. Ex. asthma

The lady in that video who said "I don't wear a mask for the same reason that I don't wear any underwear.. things need to breathe" - May them words never come back and bite her on her naked butt. Because if there is 1 symptom that the majority of Covid victims have in common is the inability to breathe!!
And as for "I have rights, the right to say and the right to choose" -. As we all do. But having the right to free speech does not entitle us to run into a crowded theatre shouting fire!! It is reckless and it's common sense for goodness sake. It's making me dizzy! . Why are some people so difficult and petty?? X
And so ignorant...

Coronavirus Australia live news: Testing continues across Victoria as lockdowns in Melbourne enter day four
A new grim coronavirus record for the US

The US has posted a new record number of daily infections, with more than 66,000 new cases confirmed yesterday, the fifth day in a row that the number of new cases exceeded 60,000.

The resurgence of the virus has prompted several states to tighten restrictions.

Louisiana has become the latest of a growing number of states to require that masks be worn indoors, and the Governor, John Bel Edwards, has also ordered the closure of bars across his state.

More than 60 US Marines based in Japan test positive in past few days
The Governor of Japan's Okinawa island has demanded the US military take tougher coronavirus prevention measures.

This comes after Japanese officials were told that 61 US Marines at two bases have been infected over the past few days.

Officials say the disclosure of the exact figures came only after repeated requests to the US military.

The US military says the two bases have been put in lockdown.

Okinawa is home to about 25,000 American troops.
1a834c20-0fbd-4224-9968-b7a461d3d583_800.jpg

AP: Maya Alleruzzo, file photo
And with 25,000 think of the possibilities in Japan.

This 23-year-old Texas woman waited weeks before venturing back out. When she did she got coronavirus - CNN

Peyton Chesser wasn't taking chances when the coronavirus pandemic locked down the country in March. The 23-year-old Houston woman stayed home, even conceding grocery pickups to her roommate.

After Texas' stay-at home order ended April 30 and some businesses opened, she cautiously ventured out. Even though early data showed Covid-19 was most dangerous for older people, Chesser was careful, she told CNN's Erica Hill on Wednesday.

"I wasn't going to crowded restaurants. I wasn't going to crowded places in general (or) social settings," she recalled.
She resumed grocery trips and even went back to a gym. And right around then, to her frustration, she came down with Covid-19. She's not sure where she picked it up.

Let’s not forget there are students with various physical limitations who are not special ed. Ex. asthma
Also, Cerebral Palsy in children. Caused by lack of oxygen during birth resulting in brain damage. The symptoms vary massively. From being unnoticeable in some cases to being visibly obvious, depending on mild or severe lack of oxygen. There is a boy in our school sometimes drags his left leg and holds up his left arm in an awkward position. And other days you would never guess -. he is deemed high risk. The underlying issues in children are quite dangerous in there own right. Epilepsy is another neurological factor, which for the best part, is unnoticeable.

The UK is going to be baking in the heat next week
(a rare event for us) but
how to determine between a high temperature versus hot off a heatwave?? I have got 999 on speed dial me! It's a nightmare X

Sorry to just dump here but...I am so stressed about the planned bridal shower that was to happen the last week of July in our backyard. Since the invites went out the Covid cases just kept exploding.
Youngest daughter (bride & nurse), flying in from D.C. is getting an earful of my exes cavalier attitude about it all.
Oldest daughter is in mama bear mode doesn’t want to be exposed or expose her newborn, (don’t blame her), very cautious about this, wants to make this into a drive by shower. Only 6 people maybe attending, but all from different areas and have differing attitudes.
I was all set to order a large tent and several large tables to space people properly, but oldest says no. Youngest is adamant to have the shower.
I cant believe how stressful this must be for you.

Bridal showers arent so common here so my thoughts are probably a bit skewed by that. But honestly, and this will sound harsh, I think anyone still having a wedding at all this year is extremely lucky. Some things have to give, which is heartbreaking but worse if someone gets sick. When is the wedding?

If it does go ahead, I say stick to your guns re the distancing. Your house your rules. I dont blame your eldest with her baby either but I hope they dont fall out.

Gahhh its so tricky when families are not on the same page. One thing I v fortunately have not had to deal with. Keep us posted and vent away.

This 23-year-old Texas woman waited weeks before venturing back out. When she did she got coronavirus - CNN

Peyton Chesser wasn't taking chances when the coronavirus pandemic locked down the country in March. The 23-year-old Houston woman stayed home, even conceding grocery pickups to her roommate.

After Texas' stay-at home order ended April 30 and some businesses opened, she cautiously ventured out. Even though early data showed Covid-19 was most dangerous for older people, Chesser was careful, she told CNN's Erica Hill on Wednesday.

"I wasn't going to crowded restaurants. I wasn't going to crowded places in general (or) social settings," she recalled.
She resumed grocery trips and even went back to a gym. And right around then, to her frustration, she came down with Covid-19. She's not sure where she picked it up.

If I had to guess, I would say she got the virus at the gym. Gyms seem to be a danger zone, to me, with people perspiring, breathing heavily. There is usually music playing quite loudly so when you speak with someone it can be with a raised voice and close. And if the equipment is not sterilised before using ... lots of opportunity for transmission.

Our gyms had been closed for ages, one of the last places to re-open. And even today, a gym in Sydney has closed and is undergoing deep cleaning due to a member testing positive - with other members attending this week being encouraged to be tested.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan tests positive for coronavirus
Bachchan’s son Abhishek has also tested positive for the virus, and both are in hospital

Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan says he has tested positive for the coronavirus and is hospitalised in Mumbai, India’s financial and entertainment capital.

In a tweet on Saturday, Bachchan, 77, said his family and staff have also undergone tests and are awaiting results. He appealed to those who were in close proximity to him in the past 10 days to get themselves tested.

Bachchan’s 44-year-old-son Abhishek Bachchan, also an actor, tweeted Saturday night that he also has tested COVID-19 positive and is hospitalised. “Both of us having mild symptoms. I request all to stay calm and not panic,” he wrote.

The elder Bachchan has acted in more than 200 Indian films over the past five decades. He is also a former politician and a television host.

Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Pune and Bangalore are among the Indian cities worst hit by the coronavirus.

On Saturday, India’s coronavirus caseload crossed 800,000 with the biggest spike of 27,114 cases reported in the past 24 hours. The new confirmed cases took the national total to 820,916. The health ministry also reported another 519 deaths in the past 24 hours, taking total fatalities up to 22,123.

Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan tests positive for coronavirus

ETA: Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and her daughter have today tested positive for coronavirus.

The result comes after her father-in-law, popular Indian actor Amitabh Bachchan, and her husband, actor Abhishek, said they had contracted the virus.

Maharastra state health minister Rajesh Tope announced the cases in a tweet, though it was not clear whether they had been admitted to hospital. Amitabh and Abhishek were admitted on Saturday, despite saying they had mild symptoms.

Coronavirus live news: UK minister says face masks should not be mandatory; Russia cases jump

Welcome to the Galveston National Lab
Tested by Galveston National Laboratory, the filter killed 99.8 percent of coronavirus on a single pass.

gnl_a-bit-smaller.jpg

COVID-19 game-changer? Houston researchers create air filter that can kill the coronavirus

Air Filter Created That Can Kill the Coronavirus – 99.8% Effective on SARS-CoV-2 | Infosurhoy

It started with an idea from Medistar founder Monzer Hourani: a filter that could kill coronavirus. His company approached researchers at the Texas Center for Conductivity at UH, led by Dr. Zhifeng Ren.

“In a month and a half, we got the prototype, the testing done and the proven concept,” says Dr. Ren.
Nickel-Foam-Filter-Concept-777x518.jpg

His team figured out the best possible solution would be to heat the filter, zapping the virus.

“Let’s say 70 °C. It may take 10-20 minutes to kill. If you go to 100 °C , it will take a couple minutes. But if you go to 200 °C , that will be instantaneous,” Dr. Ren explains.

That’s the temperature scientists decided to stick with, using it to heat a filter made of nickel foam, which is more porous and allows the air to pass.

“It filters the virus. It catches it. It kills it. Without impacting the temperature of the ambient air,” says Dr. Garrett K. Peel of Medistar.
20200707-air-filter.jpg

One of its uses, he suggests, could be in classrooms. A mobile unit would be able to filter the air in each room, helping provide a different kind of mask for kids, teachers and staff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member