Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #68

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A 37-year-old Ohio man died from coronavirus after slamming 'hype' over pandemic on Facebook

"Let make this clear. I'm not buying a f---ing mask. I've made it this far by not buying into that damn hype," Rose posted on April 28.

On May 12, he wrote that he was "sick" of seeing "s--- about COVID" and on May 18, he posted an Islamaphobic meme that compared a niqab to a medical mask.

Throughout June, Rose "checked in" on Facebook at bars and restaurants in Ohio.

On July 1, Rose wrote on Facebook that he was experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.

"I've been very sick the past few days," he wrote. "This morning I finally got swabbed. I should know soon what the results are. I just want to feel good again!"

Just one hour later, Rose revealed that he'd officially tested positive. "Well. I'm officially under quarantine for the next 14 days," he wrote.

The following day, Rose wrote, "This covid s--- sucks! I'm so out of breath just sitting here."

The US Army veteran died at home on July 3, just three days after testing positive for COVID-19.

i would say this man learned the hard way Covid is neither hype nor a hoax

When I read about schools being pressured to reopen, I just cannot control my anger. What about the teachers? What about students spreading the virus to family members? Absolutely no concern. Have these things no occurred to our government?

"Even though some children have become seriously ill and have died from the coronavirus, Pence emphasized last week that the risks to children infected by the virus are lower than they are for other age groups. He said it was a blessing that "apart from having an underlying health condition, children do not appear to be susceptible to serious illness from the coronavirus."
Trump gives in to the mask but takes new risks with schools - CNNPolitics

I think it is a local decision as to whether to open the schools---

Per capita, Britain has had 660 deaths per million population and 4,256 cases per million.

Brazil has had about half the number of deaths as UK (336) and 8658 cases per million.

The US has had 415 deaths per million of population and 10,136 cases per million.

To me, it seems that Britain has done better in terms of suppressing cases/not transmitting, but worse in terms of overall death rate.

Source: Worldometer

Per capita, Britain has had 660 deaths per million population and 4,256 cases per million.

Brazil has had about half the number of deaths as UK (336) and 8658 cases per million.

The US has had 415 deaths per million of population and 10,136 cases per million.

To me, it seems that Britain has done better in terms of suppressing cases/not transmitting, but worse in terms of overall death rate.

Source: Worldometer
I think the EU struggled as a whole, having much less warning than the US when the chit hit the fan. They were also handicapped by a complete lack of information as to how to treat it in the beginning. jmo

Key Countries Agree to Help Bring Home Seafarers Stuck on Ships

More than a dozen countries with crucial global shipping hubs agreed to ease port and border restrictions for seafarers to help the more than 200,000 workers still stranded on vessels return home.

Nations including the U.S., Singapore, Greece and the United Arab Emirates said they would ease coronavirus-related restrictions for seafarers and boost commercial flights to help facilitate crew swaps. The pact comes after months of pressure on governments, ports and shippers to find ways to get workers off vessels after a rash of suicides and an uptick in expired contracts.

I think the EU struggled as a whole, having much less warning than the US when the chit hit the fan. They were also handicapped by a complete lack of information as to how to treat it in the beginning. jmo

We were all handicapped by near complete lack of information about how to treat it. In fact, poor Arizona, Texas and Florida are just now learning how difficult it is to manage health resources when CoVid spikes. Way too many people on ventilators in both UK and US.

I think UK did a much better job actually shutting down, when the time came. Many US states said they were shut down, but phone analytics and case rates say otherwise.

The role of experienced personnel in treating future CoVId cases is crucial. Traveling nurses who served in NYC are now in Florida and AZ, and I think the hospitals they are in are truly benefiting. The number of different medications a critically ill patient is on, with their interactions, is so difficult to manage.

One nurse in Gila, AZ said it was much better than in the NY hospital where she served, but that nurses were still trying to manage 3 ICU patients per nurse plus do stints in the ER (where the patients never stop coming and people are coding frequently).

UK is still seeing per capita deaths that are fairly high (148 yesterday in a population of 68 million).

US had 732 deaths out of a population of 331 million.

For yesterday, the two nations had almost identical per capita death rates.

Unfortunately, US's rates may be holding steady or going up - and UK's may be going down. This next week is really important. Will UK's reopening drive rates up? Clearly, the community spread in the US has the potential for pushing our rates higher.

Education Secretary doubles down.

DeVos vows to have schools open in fall: 'Kids have got to get back to school'

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said Sunday that she intends to have American schools open for in-person classes this fall, and insisted that this can be done safely despite concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.

DeVos and President Trump had previously threatened to withhold funding from schools that do not reopen in the fall. Sunday, DeVos reiterated this warning.

"American investment in education is a promise to students and their families," she said. "If schools aren't going to reopen and not fulfill that promise, they shouldn't get the funds."

US had 732 deaths out of a population of 331 million.

For yesterday, the two nations had almost identical per capita death rates.

Unfortunately, US's rates may be holding steady or going up - and UK's may be going down. This next week is really important. Will UK's reopening drive rates up? Clearly, the community spread in the US has the potential for pushing our rates higher.

The U.S. has been steadily climbing in terms of per capita deaths. We're currently 9th among all countries, and 7th among countries with population greater than 10,000,000.

The UK is still increasing slightly, but we're still moving up, more significantly as of late. Ahead of us in 8th is France, and 7th is Sweden. We're going to pass France within the next month, at rate we're going, and could certainly pass Sweden eventually as well.

Farther down are Brazil & Mexico, but both are accelerating rapidly, and it's not out of the question that Brazil will pass us in Deaths per Million. Eventually, I see the top countries with 10M+ populations will be, IMO, Brazil, U.S., Mexico, Sweden, UK, Spain.

DeVos and President Trump had previously threatened to withhold funding from schools that do not reopen in the fall. Sunday, DeVos reiterated this warning.

"American investment in education is a promise to students and their families," she said. "If schools aren't going to reopen and not fulfill that promise, they shouldn't get the funds."

LOL!! If you don't open and provide education, we're going to cut off your funding, so you're unable to Ever provide education in the future. Because, WE CARE ABOUT EDUCATION.

Florida sets grim coronavirus record with nearly 500 deaths in one week

Florida set a weekly record of nearly 500 coronavirus-related deaths, a roughly 16 percent increase from the last highest weekly mortality rate reported in May.

The state’s Department of Health reported 95 new deaths Saturday, bringing the weekly total to 496 fatalities, which is an average of 71 deaths a day.

Florida’s weekly mortality average three weeks ago stood around 30 fatalities before the state started seeing spikes -- reaching their current daily record of 120 deaths reported Thursday.

I think it's unfair to say "won't". More accurate to say our government has not mandated it (except for transport). Despite this, many choose to.

Question for you as a Londoner out of interest CeeCee - do you mask up when you're out? I do, but I would say I'm still in the minority where I am (Bucks)

Yes, I do - even if I’m just popping to the postbox. I haven’t been into Central London since the pre-virus days (one of the benefits of WFH, I suppose), so can’t say what it’s like there. Locally, I’d say 75% are now masked up.

If I had to guess, I would say she got the virus at the gym. Gyms seem to be a danger zone, to me, with people perspiring, breathing heavily. There is usually music playing quite loudly so when you speak with someone it can be with a raised voice and close. And if the equipment is not sterilised before using ... lots of opportunity for transmission.

Our gyms had been closed for ages, one of the last places to re-open. And even today, a gym in Sydney has closed and is undergoing deep cleaning due to a member testing positive - with other members attending this week being encouraged to be tested.
I was about ready to post the same thing. “A gym? A gym?” kept going through my head . As in , she went to a gym, and doesn’t know where she got the virus? That would be the most likely place. As you say, heavy breathing and a lot of perspiration.

It would be very difficult if not impossible to completely disinfect every surface between every person, then there’s the virus floating through the air while patrons are running hard and fast on the treadmill or chugging away on the elliptical and the stair climber, or lifting weights.

People can work out at home, there’s all kinds of ways.

United States Coronavirus: 3,377,924 Cases and 137,572 Deaths - Worldometer

15,300 cases in Florida. I can't read the FL daily stats without hearing U2 singing "Out of Control" in my head. Anybody see what the daily positive rate was? Either they ran 100,000 tests or the positivity rate has soared. Maybe increased testing with the opening of Disney?

Edited by me: CNN stating "Florida's current positivity rate is 19.60%, according to Johns Hopkins." I'm not sure which method they use, but it's high either way. I hope they are taking steps to protect the elderly.

Last edited:
This fall is going to be interesting. The United States, Canada, are not going to have their seasonal workers.

Predict that the price of vegetables, fruit is going to skyrocket. I used to go to an orchard in Michigan and pick my own apples, this may be what more growers will go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thundercoyote