Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #68

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's some coverage of a hearing that took place in Palm Beach. The floor was opened for the public to comment about a proposed face mask ordinance/policy

I had to double check to make sure it wasn't published by "The Onion."
One thing is certain, IMO: They sure are passionate about their opinions.
They want freedom of choice.
How about using that freedom to care about others. Choose to care! Wear a mask. Otherwise fine them all. IMO:mad:

The participating countries gave up their right to act independently in order to work for the benefit of the world. For example, information is shared, early access to vaccines is determined by where lies the greatest need, rather than who had the most money, research is co-ordinated instead of hoarded, public health strategies and clinical protocols are studied as a global effort.

Countries granted to the WHO authority to collect information from both government and private sources, and if necessary to share that information with other countries. There is also a mandate that all countries will protect human rights when managing disease events. The WHO can also ask countries for justification for harsh government responses and policies that don't conform to the mandate of fighting the disease.

Countries make a commitment to follow international law in the fight against disease during a pandemic. In doing so, participating countries give up part of their sovereignty.

None of these commitments can trump local policy and law - and nations go in and out of these arrangements all the time. Especially the US, actually.

A nation does not "give up sovereignty" when it agrees to a trade agreement or a cooperative customs union. They've made a sovereign decision to support elements of their own economy.

There is no "right" to act independently when it comes to a virus - it is a responsibility to keep track of health issues in one's own nation.

At any time, nations can back out of mutual health agreements, which are much weaker and less enforceable than treaties or trade agreements.

Yes, to belong to WHO, you have to share scientific data. A country who thinks that's a poor decision still gets to benefit from the results of the data - but it is mysterious to me why any nation would do that. Giving data to an international health project is *not* giving up sovereignty in a democratic nation (where, actually, even the word "sovereign" sounds bizarre) if it is the will of the people as expressed through their representatives. That's why Congress and the Senate have some say in these matters.

Where are they going to place the exhumed bodies?

I'm not really sure. My guess would be that if the family does not claim the body it will likely be cremated?

When they open those vaults (most of the ones they're recycling are very old), there's not going to be anything left but perhaps a few bones. I think those get packaged and put somewhere while the family is notified - then I do not know what happens, but perhaps they go to a pauper's grave (in Mexico, usually a group grave).

Last edited:
Is worldometers not updating for anyone else? I keep refreshing and can't see the total cases in the US today or any other country but Mexico for some reason.

It's working for me.

It resets daily so Mexico is all that's updated so far. That time zone is probably tomorrow for you if that makes sense.

The data for Natrona County, Wyoming does look rather good.

America’s COVID warning system

Natrona County, WY

Unknown

COVID RISK LEVEL
We don’t have enough data to assess COVID risk.

We have made improvements to how we calculate the infection rate. This change may affect the overall Risk Level. Learn more.

INFECTION RATE

Insufficient data to assess

Unknown
POSITIVE TEST RATE

Unknown
ICU HEADROOM USED BETA

Can likely handle a new wave of COVID

10%

Low
CONTACTS TRACED BETA

Unknown
Updated July 10, 2020 · County data is currently in beta. Because counties don’t report hospitalizations, our forecasts may not be as accurate. See something wrong?Please let us know.

Last edited:
I don't recall masks being pushed as a panacea anywhere. However they still are the first line of defence against the virus. The simple fact is that masks and social distancing when used together together are some of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of the virus. Not attending any large gatherings and staying at home except for essentials, are still the most preferred methods of prevention, though.

This simple graphic is an example of the levels of risk:

Exposure-Masking-Infographic_FNL-A.jpg

Source: 2 masks + 6 feet apart = stop the spread of COVID-19

Here's some coverage of a hearing that took place in Palm Beach. The floor was opened for the public to comment about a proposed face mask ordinance/policy

I had to double check to make sure it wasn't published by "The Onion."
One thing is certain, IMO: They sure are passionate about their opinions.

Rotf (sadly)
(eta: how’s that for a juxtaposition?)

Yeah no comment.

We are all quite familiar with this video I think. This is a hall of famer in my book. Thanks for bringing forward.

eta2: @Bravo, please make sure this one goes in the history books too o_O

Last edited:
Our state of Victoria has been stockpiling computers and dongles and is now distributing them to students in need ... to keep them 'in school' during the lockdown. No getting away from learning for these kids. :)

The Victorian Government has been stockpiling computers and internet dongles for students who cannot access their school work remotely.
Victoria's Deputy Premier James Merlino said they had already rolled out 48,000 devices and 26,000 dongles to students.
Ahead of another six weeks of remote learning, Mr Merlino said the Education Department still had more than 1,000 devices and 2,500 dongles to roll out to students in need.

9NEWS LIVE BLOG: Eight staff members at Melbourne's Alfred Hospital test positive for COVID-19

Our state of Victoria has been stockpiling computers and dongles and is now distributing them to students in need ... to keep them 'in school' during the lockdown. No getting away from learning for these kids. :)

The Victorian Government has been stockpiling computers and internet dongles for students who cannot access their school work remotely.
Victoria's Deputy Premier James Merlino said they had already rolled out 48,000 devices and 26,000 dongles to students.
Ahead of another six weeks of remote learning, Mr Merlino said the Education Department still had more than 1,000 devices and 2,500 dongles to roll out to students in need.

9NEWS LIVE BLOG: Eight staff members at Melbourne's Alfred Hospital test positive for COVID-19

what's a dongle?

HIV didn't run its course. Neither did smallpox or polio. Things had to happen to reduce transmission - prophylaxis of various kinds (including real government effort to educate, sanitate, and ensure clean water), plus a vaccine for smallpox and polio. Viruses stop being noticeable when they lose access to susceptible hosts (or mutate in ways that are not helpful to them). Some have "seasons" by which they wax and wane. But they don't leave the environment. And with nearly 8 billion people on the planet, herd immunity will take an excruciatingly long time. JMO and not a virologist or epidemiologist.

We have to do something big on the policy scale in order for this to get better. It will be a while before we get a vaccine that anyone trusts. This has to be a national and international effort, IMO. Which means we need intelligent, cooperative adults at the helm.
OMGOSH. How absolutely true!!!

Last updated: July 12, 2020, 01:26 GMT
California
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Anybody: Why does California make up almost 10% of the cases but only about 5% of the deaths in the United States?
My guess: it's a combination of:
1. Their cases have increased steadily over the past month and deaths lag case counts by 30 days or more.
2. They've been careful with management of nursing homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734