Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so. It is terrible how long it takes for testing turnaround in some parts of the US. How can a virus be contained and managed when some people have to wait days and days for their results?

Cags, I hope you will continue to bring forward msm and reports from the UK. I’ve been meaning to keep up with them, but as you know our situation has been so hectic here.

How is Boris doing? What’s the latest situation in the UK? Tia.

Coronavirus updates: ERs filling up in US; new global case record

Worldwide coronavirus infections and deaths continued to mount at an alarming pace Sunday as the World Health Organization again reported a single-day record of new infections.

In the U.S., 16 states and Puerto Rico hit new one-week records for new cases on Saturday. WHO reported 259,848 cases worldwide as the Johns Hopkins University's global death toll surpassed 600,000.

In parts of the United States, a fast-rising tide of new coronavirus cases is flooding emergency rooms. Some patients are being moved into hallways and nurses are working extra shifts to keep up with the surge. In Texas, Dr. Alison Haddock of the Baylor College of Medicine said the current situation is worse than after Hurricane Harvey, which swamped Houston with floodwaters in 2017.

“I’ve never seen anything like this COVID surge,” Haddock said. “We’re doing our best, but we’re not an ICU.”

Testing turnaround is 24-48 hours in my area.

As long as people isolate and follow CDC guidelines the virus shouldn’t spread due to testing turnaround times.
That's terrific. Four of my son's coworkers have been waiting for 11 days for their results. He is teleworking but his coworkers chose not to, and their company said anyone who was uncomfortable could telework. They were exposed by another coworker who is currently in the hospital - mid 30s no underlying health conditions. Florida Panhandle. Where are you?

Exactly. I was tested on Saturday (started feeling feverish Thursday night) and was told results would take 6 to 10 days. The subsequent anxiety of waiting is the worse 'symptom' for me so far. This is rural South Carolina.

I hope you'll be ok, Rose and I totally understand why waiting is making you more anxious. Have you been anywhere you could have got infected? Do keep us posted on the results and remember there's always someone here!

Meanwhile I know two people near me who had their results back in around 15 hours, so it can (and should) be done.

My opinion only but I predict ~There are many ways to adapt to the pandemic and other threats down the road: work-from-home, tele-education, tele-health, etc. But some types of businesses are doomed. Bars, inside dining only restaurants, etc. aren't going to make it. Time to face reality.MOO

I see a different reality. Just got back from breakfast, where they were doing a nice business, and will hit the bar this afternoon (where it's often packed.) I do fear for those restaurants and bars that are under closure orders, because it seems like there are no target dates for reopening. It will be interesting to see if cracks start forming in California, where the business closures were just extended for an indefinite period, and in AZ where closures are set to expire in a week, but will be extended, as well.

Exactly. I was tested on Saturday (started feeling feverish Thursday night) and was told results would take 6 to 10 days. The subsequent anxiety of waiting is the worse 'symptom' for me so far. This is rural South Carolina.

ETA: Catching up on this thread has made me realize - I have got to stop reading here for a while. It just feeds my anxiety. I'm in my 50s, overweight, with type A blood and I don't want to die. I'm not in great shape to begin with and I feel like I'm exactly the kind of patient that ends up "circling the drain." OMG. :(
:(
Try not to worry, Rose. Easier said than done, I know. Please try to take care of yourself and if your symptoms worsen do not hesitate to go to the ER.

Please keep us posted.

Some People 'Have The Sniffles': Trump Downplays The Coronavirus's Severity

"Many of those cases are young people that would heal in a day," Trump said in his interview with Fox News Sunday. "They have the sniffles, and we put it down as a test." He added that many of those sick "are going to get better very quickly."

"Cases are up. Many of those cases shouldn't even be cases," Trump told interviewer Chris Wallace. "Cases are up because we have the best testing in the world. ... I'm glad we do [testing], but it really skews the numbers." He added: "We're creating trouble."

I see a different reality. Just got back from breakfast, where they were doing a nice business, and will hit the bar this afternoon (where it's often packed.) I do fear for those restaurants and bars that are under closure orders, because it seems like there are no target dates for reopening. It will be interesting to see if cracks start forming in California, where the business closures were just extended for an indefinite period, and in AZ where closures are set to expire in a week, but will be extended, as well.
I thought AZ was under restrictions as to packed bars and such? Yeah, I could look it up but since you're there you probably know best what's going on.

This area of Florida is very anti-mask to the point they are only “encouraging” children to wear masks when they return to school, not mandating it. :( Meanwhile, this woman was suffering for weeks and possibly infecting countless customers at a convenience store and nobody blinked an eye. RIP Desi.

Thank you for not blaming the hospital. Or anyone else in testing. There are huge testing lines (12 hours not uncommon) and this woman should have considered other people. Maybe its ignorance (It's Florida!) or maybe it's callousness.

The University of Oxford candidate, led by Sarah Gilbert, might be through human trials in September. AstraZeneca has lined up agreements to produce 2 billion doses. Could this be the one?

Gilbert has voiced remarkable confidence in her chances, saying the Oxford vaccine has an 80% probability of being effective in stopping people who are exposed to the novel coronavirus from developing Covid-19. She has said she could know by September.

Covid Vaccine Front-Runner Is Months Ahead of Her Competition

I'm so happy other countries are taking the lead because white-hot divisions among our people are hampering a concentrated "Manhattan Project" approach to a vaccine.

I feel so sad that the CDC, at one time one of our country's crown jewels, representing our supremacy in science, medicine, and technology is (for some reason) sidelined or not working effectively.

I hope you'll be ok, Rose and I totally understand why waiting is making you more anxious. Have you been anywhere you could have got infected? Do keep us posted on the results and remember there's always someone here!

Thank you, CoverMeCagney. I work in a church office, but there are only 5 of us right now, all isolated in our own offices/areas. We do come together briefly at times throughout the day but make a point to distance ourselves. In fact, I have a baby gate and a big STOP sign at my office door, lol. Back in March people thought it was rude and melodramatic - they know better now.

I rarely go anywhere but work and back, but I did go to Walmart earlier in the week. I always go very early in the morning and always have my mask and extra wipes just in case they're out. But that's locally. On Friday, the 17th DH and I were in Columbia (Richland County) visiting our daughter. We stopped at Target and Walmart for her on our way in. It was later in the morning, maybe 11 or so, bigger city, bigger stores, more people in the stores, probably not all wearing masks. I think that might be when it happened.

If I do test positive, will someone contact me wanting to know this information? I have not knowingly had contact with anyone who has it.

ETA: Catching up on this thread has made me realize - I have got to stop reading here for a while. It just feeds my anxiety. I'm in my 50s, overweight, with type A blood and I don't want to die. I'm not in great shape to begin with and I feel like I'm exactly the kind of patient that ends up "circling the drain." OMG. :(
You will be okay Rose. Do you have a pulse oximeter? I would order one while you wait for results.

Oh sweetie..::(

Together we embrace you.

I can’t imagine the waiting, well actually I can. I’ve waited for biopsy results before and it sucks. I’m sorry.

Cags, I hope you will continue to bring forward msm and reports from the UK. I’ve been meaning to keep up with them, but as you know our situation has been so hectic here.

How is Boris doing? What’s the latest situation in the UK? Tia.

Thanks Mags, I'll try and condense it for you!!

Death rate: English rate being amended due to an over-reporting glitch, there is an inquiry underway and I hope it will bring our overall death toll down because it's terrible.

New deaths: averaging under 100 per day since the beginning of July. On tenterhooks hoping there's not a surge as we ease out of lockdown.

New cases: up and down but averaging about 600 a day. In the last few weeks anyone can have a test at a drive through testing centre (was previously restricted to hospital admissions and keyworkers)

Masks: already mandated on public transport, and in shops from 24th (varies in Scotland/NI/Wales)

Hospitals: under control and increasingly low admissions. The temporary hospitals weren't needed after all. Nursing course applications have sky-rocketed which is excellent to hear.

Schools: have been open throughout the pandemic for keyworkers kids, and to selected year groups in 'bubbles' of 10 since the beginning of June. No major problems or big scary outbreaks. It's now the summer holidays nationwide (7 weeks ish) and schools reopen around 8th September. Earlier, I think, in Scotland.

Economy: generally screwed, like everywhere, for the next million years. Government still paying furlough to employees and bonuses to companies for maintaining staff. Government also helping restaurants out by paying £10 towards each customers meal. I will take advantage of this if it helps local businesses.

Society: in limbo like that weird period between Christmas and New Year. Do I know what day it is? Not always! Are we still in lockdown? Probably not, but maybe a bit, but everything has changed, and people are worried about what is happening across the pond. Even though the shops and pubs are open I don't know anyone who is anywhere near back to "normal" yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez