Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Tate. I ordered one Friday and it supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I hope it's a good one, Amazon reviews claim it is.
I'm sure the pulse-ox will be fine. Please try to remember that we have come a very long way treating covid-19 and are getting much much better results. All will be okay. :)

Exactly. I was tested on Saturday (started feeling feverish Thursday night) and was told results would take 6 to 10 days. The subsequent anxiety of waiting is the worse 'symptom' for me so far. This is rural South Carolina.

ETA: Catching up on this thread has made me realize - I have got to stop reading here for a while. It just feeds my anxiety. I'm in my 50s, overweight, with type A blood and I don't want to die. I'm not in great shape to begin with and I feel like I'm exactly the kind of patient that ends up "circling the drain." OMG. :(

Just seen your ETA. @HongKongPhooey would be a very good person to talk to about this if you haven't already.

Stay strong and please try and let us know how you're doing. Sending positive hugs to you.

Just seen your ETA. @HongKongPhooey would be a very good person to talk to about this if you haven't already.

Stay strong and please try and let us know how you're doing. Sending positive hugs to you.

Yes, please. Sending all the best to you @Rose in SC for a negative result and IF positive, very minimal symptoms. We are here for you for support. I agree maybe it’s good to take a break from the threads as you await results, if it’s increasing your anxiety. Try to do some simple things that make you happy. Take care of yourself. Big hugs to you.

Last edited:
I’m seeing CV numbers in my sleep. Sorry nightmares, & since I have synesthesia they have colors. Like 166, white and blues

I've read a couple of books recently about synesthesia - fascinating subject. Born On A Blue Day and The Colour Of Bee Larkham's Murder. I definitely wouldn't want to be dreaming about numbers right now though!

I agree. We must all

Keep Calm and Carry On

Images
images

images

images

Description
Description

Keep Calm and Carry On was a motivational poster produced by the British government in 1939 in preparation for World War II. The poster was intended to raise the morale of the British public, threatened with widely predicted mass air attacks on major cities. Wikipedia

Sorry, cannot get rid of the weird uploads below

Cool, Tresir.

I forget who here, had mentioned the hardship of WW2 rationing.
But my thoughts return to the excellent UK series, Victorian Farm
and Wartime Farm specifically.
Had heard of the Canadian experience from family,
but was so blown away by the British civilian response,
as depicted in the series.

Keep calm and carry on.
Yes.
All I have to do is wash my hands a lot and wear my mask when shopping.
Easy enough.

Cags, I hope you will continue to bring forward msm and reports from the UK. I’ve been meaning to keep up with them, but as you know our situation has been so hectic here.

How is Boris doing? What’s the latest situation in the UK? Tia.
Just to let everyone know I believe they said they were going to pause the UK death reporting until the anomaly regarding the 28 days was resolved. Cags and I discussed it in here the other day. So I haven't reported any daily figures since Friday but I normally do put them on here daily. We are down to about 500 deaths per week ATM before they paused.

Cool, Tresir.

I forget who here, had mentioned the hardship of WW2 rationing.
But my thoughts return to the excellent UK series, Victorian Farm
and Wartime Farm specifically.
Had heard of the Canadian experience from family,
but was so blown away by the British civilian response,
as depicted in the series.

Keep calm and carry on.
Yes.
All I have to do is wash my hands a lot and wear my mask when shopping.
Easy enough.
You're welcome Tadpole.

Just to let everyone know I believe they said they were going to pause the UK death reporting until the anomaly regarding the 28 days was resolved. Cags and I discussed it in here the other day. So I haven't reported any daily figures since Friday but I normally do put them on here daily. We are down to about 500 deaths per week ATM before they paused.

Weirdly, after saying they'd pause reporting, they reported 40 deaths yesterday and 27 today. Possible these are only hospital deaths and not all settings. Or they decided to carry on reporting and adjust the numbers when they've sussed it out. Not sure what's going on!

Weirdly, after saying they'd pause reporting, they reported 40 deaths yesterday and 27 today. Possible these are only hospital deaths and not all settings. Or they decided to carry on reporting and adjust the numbers when they've sussed it out. Not sure what's going on!
I don't have a link handy, so please let me know if I'm off base. I recall reading that England was counting deaths as covid without respect to time. So if someone died weeks or months after testing positive for covid, they were counted no matter what they actually died from. That's how I remember it, anyhow. Sorry if I'm remembering wrong. Thanks, Cags.

Trump Administration Announces Initiative for More and Faster COVID-19 Testing in Nursing Homes

“Access to rapid point-of-care testing in nursing homes will further protect our Nation’s most vulnerable patients,” said Assistant Secretary for Health ADM Brett P. Giroir, M.D. “With the recent FDA Emergency Use Authorization of the BD Veritor system, combined with the earlier authorization of the Quidel Sofia and Sofia 2 systems, we now have the ability to provide more testing faster. This could not have been possible without the scientific investments made by these companies, advanced regulatory science from the FDA and other investments by the Federal government.”

Trump Administration Announces Initiative for More and Faster COVID-19 Testing in Nursing Homes

Some People 'Have The Sniffles': Trump Downplays The Coronavirus's Severity

"Many of those cases are young people that would heal in a day," Trump said in his interview with Fox News Sunday. "They have the sniffles, and we put it down as a test." He added that many of those sick "are going to get better very quickly."

"Cases are up. Many of those cases shouldn't even be cases," Trump told interviewer Chris Wallace. "Cases are up because we have the best testing in the world. ... I'm glad we do [testing], but it really skews the numbers." He added: "We're creating trouble."

Here's a bit more from the interview: (edited to remove OT comments re BLM and renaming bases )

Wallace pointed out that hundreds of Americans a day are dying from the virus.

"Excuse me, it's all too much," Trump retorted, before blaming China. "There shouldn't be one case. It came from China. They should have never let it escape; they should have never let it out, but it is what it is."

The president said he has a "great relationship" with Anthony Fauci, the top infectious disease doctor on the White House's coronavirus task force. But Trump also said that Fauci is "a little bit of an alarmist" who has made a few mistakes.

CORONAVIRUS LIVE UPDATES
'He Shouldn't Be Doing That': Trump Weighs In On Navarro Op-Ed Attacking Fauci

Wallace reminded Trump that he has also said things that have not turned out to be true, like saying earlier this year that the virus will at some point "disappear."

"I'll be right eventually," the president responded.

On health care and the election

On policy, Trump boasted that he would be getting major initiatives put in place on health care and immigration within the next month.

"No one would have done what I'm going to do in the next four weeks," he said.

"We're signing a health care plan within two weeks, a full and complete health care plan," Trump claimed, despite not being able to pass a health care bill since taking office and despite there being no push for one in Congress at this point.

I am interested in what health care plan is being introduced.

So, do you actually believe that to be true?

From the article: "Critics at the state and federal levels say the shutdowns are a dangerous idea as infections are surging in many states and testing remains scarce in some places. Health officials are especially concerned about the repercussions of the closures in Texas, where seven of the sites are located, the infections are rising quickly."
I live in Bexar county where cases are growing exponentially. In the past 3 weeks, myself and 2 of my children have been tested a total of 12 times between the 3 of us (it’s a loooong story). These 12 tests have been a combination of 5 rapid tests paid for by insurance, 1 rapid test paid by insurance that would’ve been free if we had no insurance, 3 tests at a free drive up saliva swab PCR testing site, 1 rapid test in the ER, 1 PCR in the hospital, 1 PCR at my work through the health department. The rapid tests obviously all had results while we waited. The PCR tests at the drive up site had results emailed just over 48 hours later. The PCR done while I was an inpatient at the hospital took 12 hours. The PCR swab through my work is still pending 5 days later. We expect those results tomorrow.

My point is this. In one of the worst hit areas of the country at the moment, testing is readily available, both through insurance and for free. Results are timely. The “delay” for results at my work make since due to it being more of a screening round of tests (nobody tested is symptomatic, so it makes sense those aren’t top priority at the moment).

There are literally dozens of places to get tested in my city. If I thought I needed to be tested, I could have a rapid test done in the next few hours tops. I could have a PCR test done with 2-3 day turnaround within the next 24 hours (only because it’s Sunday, otherwise PCR testing is also readily available during the week).

We don’t have a shortage of testing.

I thought AZ was under restrictions as to packed bars and such? Yeah, I could look it up but since you're there you probably know best what's going on.

They closed bars based on license type, and our liquor licence statutes must go back to the 1800's. There are large restaurants that are closed, and craft beer rooms that are open, just because of the license. I guess there are "bars" that sell food, and "restaurants" that server booze - former are closed and latter are open. The ultimate goal was to shut down the wild party scene in Scottsdale, which was accomplished.

My observation is that the only way to keep people out of bars and dining rooms is to force the issue. It will get interesting when enough places are faced with either going under or defying the orders. I predict we'll start seeing a lot of that in two weeks, but I've been wrong about most of this...

That's terrific. Four of my son's coworkers have been waiting for 11 days for their results. He is teleworking but his coworkers chose not to, and their company said anyone who was uncomfortable could telework. They were exposed by another coworker who is currently in the hospital - mid 30s no underlying health conditions. Florida Panhandle. Where are you?

That awful. I hope all of them make a full recovery. I’m in Minnesota.

I don't have a link handy, so please let me know if I'm off base. I recall reading that England was counting deaths as covid without respect to time. So if someone died weeks or months after testing positive for covid, they were counted no matter what they actually died from. That's how I remember it, anyhow. Sorry if I'm remembering wrong. Thanks, Cags.

You are remembering right. Some independent sciencey people took a look and saw that if someone has had Covid, but they recover nicely and then 3 months later have a heart attack or get hit by a bus or whatever, it still has Covid on their death certificate and is counted in the daily stats. Which is clearly crazy!! I think in Scotland/Wales/NI there is a 28 day limit after which the Covid bit would not be included, whereas in England there's no time limit - but still, if you get hit by a bus at any time, surely that ain't a Covid death?!!

It's confusing and disheartening, but there is a full inquiry being held so hopefully it'll get cleared up and fingers crossed our death ratio will reduce.

Last edited:
They closed bars based on license type, and our liquor licence statutes must go back to the 1800's. There are large restaurants that are closed, and craft beer rooms that are open, just because of the license. I guess there are "bars" that sell food, and "restaurants" that server booze - former are closed and latter are open. The ultimate goal was to shut down the wild party scene in Scottsdale, which was accomplished.

My observation is that the only way to keep people out of bars and dining rooms is to force the issue. It will get interesting when enough places are faced with either going under or defying the orders. I predict we'll start seeing a lot of that in two weeks, but I've been wrong about most of this...
Thank you. I hope you remain safe in the midst of the madness.

But it does spread. Contact tracing commences immediately upon a positive result. Delays in test results means all the contacts of that positive case have 3, 5, 8 days to potentially infect others. It's a serious problem. jmo
Perhaps they should contact trace straight away to alert that a test has been done and results are awaited. I would rather know straightaway and get tested if there is any possibility.

(Reuters) - The United States is preparing to issue guidance on reducing “unnecessary” testing for COVID-19 as it works to cut turnaround times for tests, a senior U.S. health official said on Thursday.

Details of the guidance are still being hammered out but it would be aimed partly at discouraging COVID-19 patients who have completed home quarantine from getting retested before returning to work or school, said Brett Giroir, assistant secretary for health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Speaking on a call with reporters, he said such unnecessary tests were “clogging up the system.”

U.S. prepares push to reduce 'unnecessary' COVID-19 testing: official
What could go wrong? Thud.

Oh man, time to replace those, then. Irresponsible not to. We all care about our fellow Americans, and we need to make sure that all are cared for with their tax dollars, even when some misbehave gravely.
I wonder if they were in shops or pharmacies so that may take time to rebuild. They will have to put up temporary ones. I have heard they have used closed drive thrus in some places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez