Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some masks are better than others.

And many thanks to @jjenny and @JaneEyre for their constant encouragement in understanding and making masks.
Thanks. I’m still looking at every article I see on mask efficacy. I’m still making them. I just got back from delivering masks in school colors for a friend’s 4 kids. As soon as I walked in the door, a nurse friend messaged me requesting 8 child size Olson masks because her two kids may go back to school. And I’m working on a bunch for every teacher friend I have. Some of them are scared. I’m making the best masks I can for them.

Thanks. I’m still looking at every article I see on mask efficacy. I’m still making them. I just got back from delivering masks in school colors for a friend’s 4 kids. As soon as I walked in the door, a nurse friend messaged me requesting 8 child size Olson masks because her two kids may go back to school. And I’m working on a bunch for every teacher friend I have. Some of them are scared. I’m making the best masks I can for them.

Good for you, JaneEyre. Doing your part and lending your time and talents for the greater good. Thank you.

You are remembering right. Some independent sciencey people took a look and saw that if someone has had Covid, but they recover nicely and then 3 months later have a heart attack or get hit by a bus or whatever, it still has Covid on their death certificate and is counted in the daily stats. Which is clearly crazy!! I think in Scotland/Wales/NI there is a 28 day limit after which the Covid bit would not be included, whereas in England there's no time limit - but still, if you get hit by a bus at any time, surely that ain't a Covid death?!!

It's confusing and disheartening, but there is a full inquiry being held so hopefully it'll get cleared up and fingers crossed our death ratio will reduce.

Although, hopefully someone is keeping track of post-CoVid deaths, as it appears that CoVid may cause heart damage and lead to earlier/more heart attacks.

It will be interesting to learn more in future about all kinds of things.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.049252

(71% of recovered patients had heart damage, if I'm reading this UK study properly).

Although, hopefully someone is keeping track of post-CoVid deaths, as it appears that CoVid may cause heart damage and lead to earlier/more heart attacks.

It will be interesting to learn more in future about all kinds of things.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.049252

(71% of recovered patients had heart damage, if I'm reading this UK study properly).

Also, there cardiac elements re: MIS-C:

Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C and COVID-19)

“What is multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C)?
Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) is a serious condition in which some parts of the body — such as the heart, blood vessels, kidneys, digestive system, brain, skin or eyes — become inflamed. Inflammation typically includes swelling, often with redness and pain.“

[...]

“MIS-C shares some of the same signs and symptoms as another condition called Kawasaki disease. Kawasaki disease mainly affects children under 5 years of age. It causes inflammation in the walls of blood vessels, particularly those that supply blood to the heart muscle (coronary arteries). Researchers are working to figure out if the two conditions are related or not.“

New England Journal of Medicine
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2021680
Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in U.S. Children and Adolescents
List of authors.
  • Leora R. Feldstein, Ph.D.,
  • Erica B. Rose, Ph.D.,
  • Steven M. Horwitz, M.D.,
  • Jennifer P. Collins, M.D.,
  • for the Overcoming COVID-19 Investigators, and the CDC COVID-19 Res

BACKGROUND

Understanding the epidemiology and clinical course of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) and its temporal association with coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) is important, given the clinical and public health implications of the syndrome.

METHODS
    We conducted targeted surveillance for MIS-C from March 15 to May 20, 2020, in pediatric health centers across the United States. The case definition included six criteria: serious illness leading to hospitalization, an age of less than 21 years, fever that lasted for at least 24 hours, laboratory evidence of inflammation, multisystem organ involvement, and evidence of infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) based on reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), antibody testing, or exposure to persons with Covid-19 in the past month. Clinicians abstracted the data onto standardized forms.

RESULTS
    We report on 186 patients with MIS-C in 26 states. The median age was 8.3 years, 115 patients (62%) were male, 135 (73%) had previously been healthy, 131 (70%) were positive for SARS-CoV-2 by RT-PCR or antibody testing, and 164 (88%) were hospitalized after April 16, 2020. Organ-system involvement included the gastrointestinal system in 171 patients (92%), cardiovascular in 149 (80%), hematologic in 142 (76%), mucocutaneous in 137 (74%), and respiratory in 131 (70%). The median duration of hospitalization was 7 days (interquartile range, 4 to 10); 148 patients (80%) received intensive care, 37 (20%) received mechanical ventilation, 90 (48%) received vasoactive support, and 4 (2%) died. Coronary-artery aneurysms (z scores ≥2.5) were documented in 15 patients (8%), and Kawasaki’s disease–like features were documented in 74 (40%). Most patients (171 [92%]) had elevations in at least four biomarkers indicating inflammation. The use of immunomodulating therapies was common: intravenous immune globulin was used in 144 (77%), glucocorticoids in 91 (49%), and interleukin-6 or 1RA inhibitors in 38 (20%).

CONCLUSIONS
    Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children associated with SARS-CoV-2 led to serious and life-threatening illness in previously healthy children and adolescents. (Funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.)”

Full Report at link
-more at MIS-C thread

Last edited:
Yes, the number of “long haul” patients who continue to experience symptoms, and long-term organ damage, continues to increase. Highly recommend the (long-running) This Week in Virology podcast to learn more about this stuff. It’s why I’ve gone from “well, worst case scenario, if I get it the odds are in my favor”, to “doing everything I possibly can to avoid getting it and encouraging those around me to do the same”.

And stories like this:

Surviving Coronavirus: My 86 days in hospital

That is so very sweet of you, Jane. I'm finding mask wearing to be quite fun, actually. It's turning out to be an interesting and creative way to express myself. And to see the creative expressions of others. Thank you for being one of the people creating our new accessories. I'm personally hopeless at it.

I live in Bexar county where cases are growing exponentially. In the past 3 weeks, myself and 2 of my children have been tested a total of 12 times between the 3 of us (it’s a loooong story). These 12 tests have been a combination of 5 rapid tests paid for by insurance, 1 rapid test paid by insurance that would’ve been free if we had no insurance, 3 tests at a free drive up saliva swab PCR testing site, 1 rapid test in the ER, 1 PCR in the hospital, 1 PCR at my work through the health department. The rapid tests obviously all had results while we waited. The PCR tests at the drive up site had results emailed just over 48 hours later. The PCR done while I was an inpatient at the hospital took 12 hours. The PCR swab through my work is still pending 5 days later. We expect those results tomorrow.

My point is this. In one of the worst hit areas of the country at the moment, testing is readily available, both through insurance and for free. Results are timely. The “delay” for results at my work make since due to it being more of a screening round of tests (nobody tested is symptomatic, so it makes sense those aren’t top priority at the moment).

There are literally dozens of places to get tested in my city. If I thought I needed to be tested, I could have a rapid test done in the next few hours tops. I could have a PCR test done with 2-3 day turnaround within the next 24 hours (only because it’s Sunday, otherwise PCR testing is also readily available during the week).

We don’t have a shortage of testing.
Wow. That’s a lot of tests!
(And unpleasant swabs)
San Antonio is in Bexar County?
You can get a rapid in a few hours? That’s quick! We have to be prescreened by a doctor via a telemedicine/zoom call and they give us an appt time at one of their drive up locations. There are two free drive up locations but they asked those with insurance not to utilize those sites.
Hope you and your children are ok!

That is so very sweet of you, Jane. I'm finding mask wearing to be quite fun, actually. It's turning out to be an interesting and creative way to express myself. And to see the creative expressions of others. Thank you for being one of the people creating our new accessories. I'm personally hopeless at it.

I like that the well-made cloth ones are also giving my face some extra sun protection when it’s 98 degrees out. :)

An interesting article, thanks for posting it. I think most countries are probably over- and under-reporting in different ways, and it'll be interesting to see how the overall annual death rate in each country stacks up against previous years when it's all over. We will never know the exact numbers; the history books will say "it is believed between xxxx and xxxx number of people died during the pandemic".

Still... some countries' death rates seem extremely low, and either they're under-counting (?) or they are medically superior to the rest of us and need to send expert help now!

I like that the well-made cloth ones are also giving my face some extra sun protection when it’s 98 degrees out. :)

suntan-during-covid19-woman-white-260nw-1700771356.jpg

Have you read anything about copper or zinc oxide (mesh) in between layers? I’m on the lookout for silk ones since coastal Louisiana makes a mask feel like I’m being water-boarded while walking. Merci, sha

Yes, the number of “long haul” patients who continue to experience symptoms, and long-term organ damage, continues to increase. Highly recommend the (long-running) This Week in Virology podcast to learn more about this stuff. It’s why I’ve gone from “well, worst case scenario, if I get it the odds are in my favor”, to “doing everything I possibly can to avoid getting it and encouraging those around me to do the same”.

And stories like this:

Surviving Coronavirus: My 86 days in hospital
EU is starting rehab centers to help people overcome the long-term damage of having had covid. I think the medical community is starting to really, really understand this disease is not like "a flu" and is, in fact, quite a more devastating infection. Even if you live.

Long Covid: Rehab centers set up across Europe to treat long-term effects of coronavirus - CNN

IMPORTANT:

We are receiving far too many complaints about posts that are minimizing the severity of Covid19 and its impact on human lives.

Websleuths has chosen to place their trust in Dr. Fauci, the CDC, the scientific data and those with extensive pandemic knowledge and expertise. If you aren't prepared to accept their recommendations and advice, or if you have a cavalier attitude about the health consequences of this deadly virus on yourself or others, then please don't post in this forum.

There are other "anything goes" forums on the internet that may be more to your liking as they do not have the same posting guidelines.

Please continue to Report any posts that you feel are contrary to the forum specific policies Tricia has put in place, or posts that you feel are not in the spirit of this discussion.

Thank you.

IMPORTANT:

We are receiving far too many complaints about posts that are minimizing the severity of Covid19 and its impact on human lives.

Websleuths has chosen to place their trust in Dr. Fauci, the CDC, the scientific data and those with extensive pandemic knowledge and expertise. If you aren't prepared to accept their recommendations and advice, or if you have a cavalier attitude about the health consequences of this virus on yourself or others, then please don't post in this forum.

There are other "anything goes" forums on the internet that may be more to your liking as they do not have the same posting guidelines.

Please continue to Report any posts that you feel are contrary to the forum specific policies Tricia has put in place, or posts that you feel are not in the spirit of this discussion.

Thank you.

Are we allowed to cite Dr. Birx or is she off limits? Thank you.

I salute anyone who can put on a positive spin on this! I wouldn’t say mask wearing is the most pleasant thing I’ve ever had to do lol, but it’s what we have to do to help this situation. More power to you, @CharlestonGal and @ArianeEmory. :)

I live in Bexar county where cases are growing exponentially. In the past 3 weeks, myself and 2 of my children have been tested a total of 12 times between the 3 of us (it’s a loooong story). These 12 tests have been a combination of 5 rapid tests paid for by insurance, 1 rapid test paid by insurance that would’ve been free if we had no insurance, 3 tests at a free drive up saliva swab PCR testing site, 1 rapid test in the ER, 1 PCR in the hospital, 1 PCR at my work through the health department. The rapid tests obviously all had results while we waited. The PCR tests at the drive up site had results emailed just over 48 hours later. The PCR done while I was an inpatient at the hospital took 12 hours. The PCR swab through my work is still pending 5 days later. We expect those results tomorrow.

My point is this. In one of the worst hit areas of the country at the moment, testing is readily available, both through insurance and for free. Results are timely. The “delay” for results at my work make since due to it being more of a screening round of tests (nobody tested is symptomatic, so it makes sense those aren’t top priority at the moment).

There are literally dozens of places to get tested in my city. If I thought I needed to be tested, I could have a rapid test done in the next few hours tops. I could have a PCR test done with 2-3 day turnaround within the next 24 hours (only because it’s Sunday, otherwise PCR testing is also readily available during the week).

We don’t have a shortage of testing.
Testing in NY is like that as well. I keep getting text alerts from the city saying that I can go get tested for free. Rapid and PCR. Signs are posted all over the place for testing. My daughter is in Baltimore and she had a rapid test results 15 min. then they sent her to Hopkins for a another test she had results in 12 hrs. My sister is in NC and its a 6 day wait for results.

Thank you, CoverMeCagney. I work in a church office, but there are only 5 of us right now, all isolated in our own offices/areas. We do come together briefly at times throughout the day but make a point to distance ourselves. In fact, I have a baby gate and a big STOP sign at my office door, lol. Back in March people thought it was rude and melodramatic - they know better now.

I rarely go anywhere but work and back, but I did go to Walmart earlier in the week. I always go very early in the morning and always have my mask and extra wipes just in case they're out. But that's locally. On Friday, the 17th DH and I were in Columbia (Richland County) visiting our daughter. We stopped at Target and Walmart for her on our way in. It was later in the morning, maybe 11 or so, bigger city, bigger stores, more people in the stores, probably not all wearing masks. I think that might be when it happened.

If I do test positive, will someone contact me wanting to know this information? I have not knowingly had contact with anyone who has it.
I love, love, love this baby gate idea!

Re: MIS-C, “(73%) had previously been healthy.

“What is multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C)?
Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) is a serious condition in which some parts of the body — such as the heart, blood vessels, kidneys, digestive system, brain, skin or eyes — become inflamed. Inflammation typically includes swelling, often with redness and pain.“

[...]

“MIS-C shares some of the same signs and symptoms as another condition called Kawasaki disease. Kawasaki disease mainly affects children under 5 years of age. It causes inflammation in the walls of blood vessels, particularly those that supply blood to the heart muscle (coronary arteries). Researchers are working to figure out if the two conditions are related or not.“

New England Journal of Medicine
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2021680
Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in U.S. Children and Adolescents
List of authors.
  • Leora R. Feldstein, Ph.D.,
  • Erica B. Rose, Ph.D.,
  • Steven M. Horwitz, M.D.,
  • Jennifer P. Collins, M.D.,
  • for the Overcoming COVID-19 Investigators, and the CDC COVID-19 Res

BACKGROUND

Understanding the epidemiology and clinical course of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) and its temporal association with coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) is important, given the clinical and public health implications of the syndrome.

METHODS
    We conducted targeted surveillance for MIS-C from March 15 to May 20, 2020, in pediatric health centers across the United States. The case definition included six criteria: serious illness leading to hospitalization, an age of less than 21 years, fever that lasted for at least 24 hours, laboratory evidence of inflammation, multisystem organ involvement, and evidence of infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) based on reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), antibody testing, or exposure to persons with Covid-19 in the past month. Clinicians abstracted the data onto standardized forms.

RESULTS
    We report on 186 patients with MIS-C in 26 states. The median age was 8.3 years, 115 patients (62%) were male, 135 (73%) had previously been healthy, 131 (70%) were positive for SARS-CoV-2 by RT-PCR or antibody testing, and 164 (88%) were hospitalized after April 16, 2020. Organ-system involvement included the gastrointestinal system in 171 patients (92%), cardiovascular in 149 (80%), hematologic in 142 (76%), mucocutaneous in 137 (74%), and respiratory in 131 (70%). The median duration of hospitalization was 7 days (interquartile range, 4 to 10); 148 patients (80%) received intensive care, 37 (20%) received mechanical ventilation, 90 (48%) received vasoactive support, and 4 (2%) died. Coronary-artery aneurysms (z scores ≥2.5) were documented in 15 patients (8%), and Kawasaki’s disease–like features were documented in 74 (40%). Most patients (171 [92%]) had elevations in at least four biomarkers indicating inflammation. The use of immunomodulating therapies was common: intravenous immune globulin was used in 144 (77%), glucocorticoids in 91 (49%), and interleukin-6 or 1RA inhibitors in 38 (20%).

CONCLUSIONS
    Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children associated with SARS-CoV-2 led to serious and life-threatening illness in previously healthy children and adolescents. (Funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.)”

Full Report at link
-more at MIS-C thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members