Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Covid test at a CVS this past Thursday. It’s a long wait for results. They say 6-10 days.

I tried to get a test through my doctor, but because my fever was under 100.4, they would not! So I went to the L.A. County site and the soonest I could make an appt for was three days later at a location 13 miles away, since closer sites were all filled.

I can relate to the mom in this article, Garay-Owens. Similar experience to me. This is not good (understatement)!

As coronavirus surges, public and private testing labs strain under the crush – Orange County Register

Thanks Mags, I'll try and condense it for you!!

Death rate: English rate being amended due to an over-reporting glitch, there is an inquiry underway and I hope it will bring our overall death toll down because it's terrible.

New deaths: averaging under 100 per day since the beginning of July. On tenterhooks hoping there's not a surge as we ease out of lockdown.

New cases: up and down but averaging about 600 a day. In the last few weeks anyone can have a test at a drive through testing centre (was previously restricted to hospital admissions and keyworkers)

Masks: already mandated on public transport, and in shops from 24th (varies in Scotland/NI/Wales)

Hospitals: under control and increasingly low admissions. The temporary hospitals weren't needed after all. Nursing course applications have sky-rocketed which is excellent to hear.

Schools: have been open throughout the pandemic for keyworkers kids, and to selected year groups in 'bubbles' of 10 since the beginning of June. No major problems or big scary outbreaks. It's now the summer holidays nationwide (7 weeks ish) and schools reopen around 8th September. Earlier, I think, in Scotland.

Economy: generally screwed, like everywhere, for the next million years. Government still paying furlough to employees and bonuses to companies for maintaining staff. Government also helping restaurants out by paying £10 towards each customers meal. I will take advantage of this if it helps local businesses.

Society: in limbo like that weird period between Christmas and New Year. Do I know what day it is? Not always! Are we still in lockdown? Probably not, but maybe a bit, but everything has changed, and people are worried about what is happening across the pond. Even though the shops and pubs are open I don't know anyone who is anywhere near back to "normal" yet.

Thanks, Cags.

I hope that other countries can learn everything they can from us and our data, about what happens when restrictions are eased not in accordance with the proper recommended phasings, and when guidance is not followed. It’s tough that this is happening to America, but if we’re going to go down, I at least hope it can help other countries as far as what not to do.

I salute anyone who can put on a positive spin on this! I wouldn’t say mask wearing is the most pleasant thing I’ve ever had to do lol, but it’s what we have to do to help this situation. More power to you, @CharlestonGal and @ArianeEmory. :)

I mean, if I had to wear a heavy mask for 8 hours a day or more (healthcare workers) or any mask for a full shift (retail grocery etc), I would be far whinier about it. I recognize that I’m lucky to mostly be ducking in and out of air conditioning, picking up groceries, taking it off. Even still it can trigger my rosacea pretty fast. (I’m being super careful to wash my cloth masks with fragrance free everything ...)

On the topic of sun protection, I ordered one of these recently ... I don’t think I knew they existed before the pandemic, though I’ve bought Coolibar products before:

Crestone UV Face Mask UPF 50+

I wouldn’t use it as my “public” mask (I think ... not sure how heavy the material is yet), but might be nice for yard work, or those days when I’m driving straight towards the afternoon sun. And yes, I’m going to look silly. Ah well.

I mean, if I had to wear a heavy mask for 8 hours a day or more (healthcare workers) or any mask for a full shift (retail grocery etc), I would be far whinier about it. I recognize that I’m lucky to mostly be ducking in and out of air conditioning, picking up groceries, taking it off. Even still it can trigger my rosacea pretty fast. (I’m being super careful to wash my cloth masks with fragrance free everything ...)

On the topic of sun protection, I ordered one of these recently ... I don’t think I knew they existed before the pandemic, though I’ve bought Coolibar products before:

Crestone UV Face Mask UPF 50+

I wouldn’t use it as my “public” mask (I think ... not sure how heavy the material is yet), but might be nice for yard work, or those days when I’m driving straight towards the afternoon sun. And yes, I’m going to look silly. Ah well.

The longer you wear a mask, the more you get used to it. Jmo

https://www.newsweek.com/nih-direct...t-mask-wearing-became-political-issue-1518925

NIH Director Defends Fauci, Says It's 'Bizarre' That Mask-Wearing Became Political Issue

“The NIH director said an alien coming to Earth would be "astounded, puzzled and amazed" by the country's political divide over facial masks.

"It is bizarre that we have turned mask-wearing into something political," Collins told Meet the Press. "How could it be that something as basic as a public health action that we have very strong evidence can help seems to attach to people's political party? For starters, can we just walk away from that?

"Our best chance is for all of us to get together and do the right thing, and stop fighting so much about the divide between different political perspectives, which is just getting in the way," Collins continued.”

That is so very sweet of you, Jane. I'm finding mask wearing to be quite fun, actually. It's turning out to be an interesting and creative way to express myself. And to see the creative expressions of others. Thank you for being one of the people creating our new accessories. I'm personally hopeless at it.
I’m having fun with it as well. I’m basically making one to match every outfit I might possibly wear to work.

Have you read anything about copper or zinc oxide (mesh) in between layers? I’m on the lookout for silk ones since coastal Louisiana makes a mask feel like I’m being water-boarded while walking. Merci, sha
I have not, but that sounds interesting.

I keep hearing about using silk. I may have to order some silk from a fabric store and give it a shot.

I got a Covid test at a CVS this past Thursday. It’s a long wait for results. They say 6-10 days.

I tried to get a test through my doctor, but because my fever was under 100.4, they would not! So I went to the L.A. County site and the soonest I could make an appt for was three days later at a location 13 miles away, since closer sites were all filled.

I can relate to the mom in this article, Garay-Owens. Similar experience to me. This is not good (understatement)!

As coronavirus surges, public and private testing labs strain under the crush – Orange County Register
I hope you are feeling ok.

Me, too ;)

It's 95 degrees and 100% humidity. Swigging ice tea.

heat stroke warning until 8pm tomorrow (!) here.

Also heat index of 104 with an air quality health advisory (ground ozone is 100+).

I’m a brisk walker - so brisk my kid sister (10 years younger) has trouble keeping up with me when she comes to visit and, of course there are no indoor gyms to avail myself of. I was already running out of breath in the prior days, when it took me nearly an hour to pull my masked self the 7,500 steps to the park and back.

I've taken to pinning (yeah, I'm lazy) a scrap of silk to the inside of my masks. It feels divine. Highly recommend.
I don’t know why I was thinking about silk last night, but I was. I was thinking I have a silk scarf somewhere and I might cut it up and make a mask to see if this is really helpful.

What I really need to figure out is how to deal with mask acne. Now that I’m wearing a mask 6 hours a day, I understand what others were talking about. It’s a problem.

Our DD is an Army nurse and yesterday she talked with a friend who has been deployed to a Texas hospital. Her friend said the hospital is all Covid and “every PT is proned, intubated, sedated and circling the drain “

Breaks my hearts for Texas.

Please, thank your daughter for her service.

Way to go, Rwanda! So happy for them.:)

A COVID-19 Success Story In Rwanda: Free Testing, Robot Caregivers

Despite being classified by the World Bank as a low-income country, and despite its limited resources, Rwanda has vowed to identify every coronavirus case. Anyone who tests positive is immediately quarantined at a dedicated COVID-19 clinic. Any contacts of that case who are deemed at high risk are also quarantined, either at a clinic or at home, until they can be tested.

"No country is out of the woods yet," he says. However, he adds that Rwanda is an example to other low-income countries that even with limited resources, this virus can be contained. "So what needs to be done is to follow the (prevention and containment) measures. Political leadership is very, very crucial. Rwanda should continue what it is doing now. And other countries should emulate Rwanda."

Are we allowed to cite Dr. Birx or is she off limits? Thank you.

Dr. Birx is not off limits. As Coordinator of the WH Coronavirus Task Force, I think we can appreciate that she is in a delicate position. WSers are certainly free to consider her recommendations and perhaps make their own determination of how those recommendations compare to Dr. Fauci's.

I don’t know why I was thinking about silk last night, but I was. I was thinking I have a silk scarf somewhere and I might cut it up and make a mask to see if this is really helpful.

What I really need to figure out is how to deal with mask acne. Now that I’m wearing a mask 6 hours a day, I understand what others were talking about. It’s a problem.
Maybe try a light layer of salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide before donning your mask? Washing your masks with a small amount of bleach and changing every 2 hours or so? I don't know as I have not encountered this problem. I only wear masks for short periods though. I would think salicylic acid would work. That stuff kills acne like nobody's business.

(Oops, sorry, this is in reply to tate123 who hoped I am feeling ok. Somehow her quote got left out).

I do feel ok, thanks! IF I do have it, it’s been very mild. Two days of low grade fever. Some abdominal tenderness. Headache in the mornings. I still had a little headache this morning but it went away quickly without taking any Tylenol or anything like that. No cough or shortness of breath.

I have been wearing a mask and mostly isolating myself in a room in my house since the fever. Actually, I’ve been wearing a mask in my house since the end of June from am to pm after my husband came back from an overnight sport fishing trip.

Yes, I know a mask is more about protecting others, but I figure it helps me from putting my fingers to my mouth (a bad habit of mine).

Hard to say about my husband. Even pre-Covid he coughs and sneezes and gags at times (ugh, I know. Post nasal drip, maybe). But he has not had any major symptoms that yells “coronavirus“! He got tested, too, and is waiting.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but maybe something I’ve written may help someone else! :)

Maybe try a light layer of salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide before donning your mask? Washing your masks with a small amount of bleach and changing every 2 hours or so? I don't know as I have not encountered this problem. I only wear masks for short periods though. I would think salicylic acid would work. That stuff kills acne like nobody's business.
It’s from willow bark, I think? I soak Rose cuttings in it for 24 hours to root easily..isn’t aspirin from it as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez