Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like another high day for South Carolina :(

56 additional coronavirus-related deaths reported in SC; 1,203 total since March

Total Tests Received - 648,663
Percent Positive - 22%

DHEC says "When the percent positive is high, it may indicate that there isn't enough testing being performed to capture how much disease is in the community and testing may be focused on people who are more severely ill. When the percent positive is low, it may indicate that more widespread testing is being performed and the percent positive may more accurately reflect how much disease is present in the community."

SC Testing Data & Projections (COVID-19) | SCDHEC

South Carolina reports 56 additional deaths, 1,800+ new COVID-19 cases

“As part of the new “Mask Up” statewide campaign aimed at encouraging youth and young adults to embrace wearing a face mask in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, DHEC is offering free mask content that anyone can share on social media to encourage their friends and followers to wear a face covering in public.

Social media posts, graphics, and videos to be shared online can be found at scdhec.gov/staySCstrong.”

* This is exactly what we need more of wrt to “community engagement”, which is a huge part of the comprehensive strategy for suppressing transmission.

Oxford coronavirus vaccine triggers immune response

Long article but this bit caught my eye as yesterday's article mention 30 million doses only.

Will the UK get a coronavirus vaccine?
The UK government has struck deals for 190 million doses of different vaccines.

This includes:

• 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine made from a genetically engineered virus
  • 30 million doses of the BioNtech/Pfizer vaccine, which injects part of the coronavirus' genetic code
  • 60 million doses of the Valneva inactivated coronavirus
These have been paid for even though it is uncertain which, if any, of the vaccines may prove effective for immunising a nation with 66m people.

Below is an article from May but it mentions 30,000 US volunteers in the summer. Will have to look at that further.

U.S. gives AstraZeneca $1.2 billion to fund Oxford University coronavirus vaccine — America would get 300 million doses beginning in October

Last edited:
US coronavirus: Study says number of cases is far greater than thought - CNN

“The number of people who have had Covid-19 is much greater than the official case count, according to data and a new analysis released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday.

Depending on the region, the number of people infected was sometimes six to 24 times the number of reported cases, the CDC team said.
"For most sites, it is likely that greater than 10 times more ... infections occurred than the number of reported Covid-19 cases," the team concluded.
These numbers are likely conservative, according to the study in the Journal of the American Medical Association. The data used in the analysis was published on the CDC website.
CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield said earlier this month that testing had likely missed 90% or so of cases.
The country remains far from a level that would give the population herd immunity.”

Please show me a little league waiver that covers death of your child AND of yourself, from participating in after school activities.

I pulled just one of many releases. Couldn't copy the verbiage but basically....parents takes full responsibly for any and all injury and holds the association harmless.

Its standard verbiage for any activity for injury.

Alot of sports offer an additional insurance plan to cover injury that parents can purchase. HS football is a good example.

The Covid releases are for a disease. I've researched and can't find, not remember disease being included in school or activity releases.

PDFfiller

Moo

Last edited:
South Carolina reports 56 additional deaths, 1,800+ new COVID-19 cases

“As part of the new “Mask Up” statewide campaign aimed at encouraging youth and young adults to embrace wearing a face mask in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, DHEC is offering free mask content that anyone can share on social media to encourage their friends and followers to wear a face covering in public.

Social media posts, graphics, and videos to be shared online can be found at scdhec.gov/staySCstrong.”

* This is exactly what we need more of wrt to “community engagement”, which is a huge part of the comprehensive strategy for suppressing transmission.

Myrtle Beach
https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/coronavirus/article244371342.html

The trend in the incidence rate is low in Horry County, meaning the number of new positive cases is declining. But the overall activity remains high, with the county reporting a positive rate of 22.8%, according to DHEC data as of Monday.

This is concerning. Emphasis mine.

Covid-19 Vaccines With 'Minor Side Effects' Could Still Be Pretty Bad

"Back in May, a CNN report described the Oxford group as being “the most aggressive in painting the rosiest picture” of its product, so let’s start with them. Just how rosy is the Oxford picture really? It’s certainly true that this week’s news shows the vaccine has the potential to provide protection from Covid-19.

But there are flies in the ointment. After the first clinical trial for this vaccine began in April, for example, the researchers added new study arms in which people got acetaminophen every six hours for 24 hours after the injection. That’s not featured in their marketing, of course, and I saw no discussion of this unusual step in media coverage in early summer. Newspapers only said the vaccine had been proven “safe with rhesus monkeys,” and did not cause any adverse effects in those animal tests. It was a worrying signal though: How rough a ride were people having with this vaccine? Was the acetaminophen meant to keep down fever, headaches, malaise—or all of the above?

The Oxford group is also giving acetaminophen to participants in an advanced, phase 3 trial now underway in Brazil, too. In another major study of the vaccine, involving 10,000 people in the UK, you can’t participate if you have an allergy or condition that could be made worse with acetaminophen. No mention of the extra drug, though, in the same group’s trial in South Africa."

Its not unusual to run a temp after a vaccine.

I felt like crap after my "pneumonia shot" for two days. Had to take Tylenol and just laid around. But after having pneumonia twice, I was happy to have the protection. The side effects far outweighed my serious bouts of pneumonia, lasting over two weeks, 5 drugs, xrays and 4 doctor visits, each time.

We frequently give kids Tylenol after the MMR vaccine.

Colorado coronavirus reopening at risk in 15 counties if COVID-19 spread not slowed

—-

Colorado's last call for alcohol moved to 10 p.m. to prevent social gatherings

—-

Polis temporarily moves last call for alcohol to 10 p.m. due to COVID-19 surge among young people

“DENVER — Citing an uptick in COVID-19 cases among people between 20-29 years old, Gov. Jared Polis (D-Colorado) announced Tuesday that for the next 30 days, last call for alcohol in the state’s bars and restaurants will move from 2 a.m. to 10 p.m.

“Smaller corrections like this coupled with responsible behavior from Coloradans for all ages is what’s going to make the difference,” Polis said.

Colorado’s bars and nightclubs that don’t serve food have already been ordered to close. Polis said he was concerned about young people getting inebriated and losing their inhibitions about social distancing and mingling with other parties in the places that have stayed open.“

[...]

hmmmm, moo:

““The governor also said that in the future when there is a COVID-19 treatment or vaccine, he hopes to allow counties to have last calls beyond 2 a.m.”

“I’m very irritated by last call laws,” Polis said.“

Last edited:
This is concerning. Emphasis mine.

Covid-19 Vaccines With 'Minor Side Effects' Could Still Be Pretty Bad

"Back in May, a CNN report described the Oxford group as being “the most aggressive in painting the rosiest picture” of its product, so let’s start with them. Just how rosy is the Oxford picture really? It’s certainly true that this week’s news shows the vaccine has the potential to provide protection from Covid-19.

But there are flies in the ointment. After the first clinical trial for this vaccine began in April, for example, the researchers added new study arms in which people got acetaminophen every six hours for 24 hours after the injection. That’s not featured in their marketing, of course, and I saw no discussion of this unusual step in media coverage in early summer. Newspapers only said the vaccine had been proven “safe with rhesus monkeys,” and did not cause any adverse effects in those animal tests. It was a worrying signal though: How rough a ride were people having with this vaccine? Was the acetaminophen meant to keep down fever, headaches, malaise—or all of the above?

The Oxford group is also giving acetaminophen to participants in an advanced, phase 3 trial now underway in Brazil, too. In another major study of the vaccine, involving 10,000 people in the UK, you can’t participate if you have an allergy or condition that could be made worse with acetaminophen. No mention of the extra drug, though, in the same group’s trial in South Africa."
Acetaminophen is another name for paracetamol. The BBC article I posted does mention there were some side effects of a fever and headache and that paracetamol was recommended. I guess the monkeys didn't tell researchers they had a headache. I think CNN are scare mongering and they are wrong it was not in the media.

In my smallish town which is part of a what we call the "7 Cities" or "Hampton Roads" but most people not from here only recognize Virginia Beach...we have 169 patients in the hospital (our small hospital) with Covid!

I see another lockdown (although since we are a tourist hotspot and folks here depend on that tourist dollar) coming...MOO

Oregon COVID-19 updates July 21: Expert says wear masks outdoors unless 15-20 feet from others

“The guidelines in Oregon and Washington include wearing a mask, even outdoors, if you can't socially distance 6 feet from others. But an air quality expert at Portland State University suggests people wear face coverings unless they are 15-20 feet away from other people.“

Masks outdoors: Expert says wear them unless you're 15-20 feet away from people

"If the wind is blowing in the right direction and someone's speaking from 15 feet away and a large droplet comes out of their mouth and the wind is blowing in the right direction, that can reach you," he explained.”
I did walk by a smoker a few weeks ago and I got a good whiff of her cigarette smoke from 25' away and wondered, if I can smell the smoke, I'll bet I can inhale her germs.
I'm visiting Martha's Vineyard off the coast of MA. A tourist hot spot here is the town of Oak Bluffs where they've recently mandated mask wearing anywhere outside in public. I walked through town last night and was amazed that compliance looked to be about only two-thirds. And I'm guessing that 10% of people were wearing masks down on their chin or around their throat. Do some people breath through their chin? I felt like saying "this isn't horseshoes - being close doesn't count!" Sorry to rant here but my son thinks I'm a mask snob (he's right) and I needed to vent.

I did walk by a smoker a few weeks ago and I got a good whiff of her cigarette smoke from 25' away and wondered, if I can smell the smoke, I'll bet I can inhale her germs.
I'm visiting Martha's Vineyard off the coast of MA. A tourist hot spot here is the town of Oak Bluffs where they've recently mandated mask wearing anywhere outside in public. I walked through town last night and was amazed that compliance looked to be about only two-thirds. And I'm guessing that 10% of people were wearing masks down on their chin or around their throat. Do some people breath through their chin? I felt like saying "this isn't horseshoes - being close doesn't count!" Sorry to rant here but my son thinks I'm a mask snob (he's right) and I needed to vent.

I am going to put MOO on here, but I recall a warning given that if you can smell someone's exhaled cigarette, pot or even vape...you can possibly be exposed to the virus. The advice was to leave that area as soon as possible. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member