Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this a helpful article.

How to Understand COVID-19 Numbers
Viewed in isolation or presented without context, coronavirus numbers don’t always give an accurate picture of how the pandemic is being handled. Here, ProPublica journalists Caroline Chen and Ash Ngu offer insight on how to navigate the figures.

One part says:
To make sure you don’t get misled, it’s better to look at what’s called the rolling seven-day average, which takes each day’s number and averages it with the six days before it. Many trackers provide this figure to smooth out the data. Also, wait to see if the trend holds. It’s kind of like the stock market; it’s unhelpful to to obsess over daily swings. The experts I interviewed suggested waiting one, two or even three weeks to make sure that any trends you think you’ve spotted bear out.

But, “The bottom line: We don’t have the pandemic under control.”
How to Understand COVID-19 Numbers

CNN is interviewing Dr. Fauci, and he says that as of now, he is not invited to today's briefing next hour.

Have you got a link for this please?

Dr. Anthony Fauci says he wasn't invited to Tuesday's White House coronavirus briefing

"I was not invited up to this point and I'm assuming I'm not going to be there," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in a CNN interview less than an hour before the 5 p.m. briefing was scheduled to start.

Fauci said if he were to attend the meeting Tuesday, he would tell state leaders to adopt mask mandates and encourage them to close bars.

"Outdoors is better than indoors, particularly if you're going to have restaurants ... Wash your hands. It's really not rocket science.”

He said the U.S. can still defeat the coronavirus, which continues to rapidly spread across the nation.

The pandemic response "isn't as uniform as we would like," he said. "We know we need to do that."

Trump delivers White House coronavirus briefing without public health experts – live

Asked where his top public health officials in charge of the coronavirus response are, Trump said Dr Deborah Birx was “right outside”. He did not explain why she and Dr Anthony Fauci were absent from the briefing.

Last edited:
Boston officials launch mobile coronavirus testing team to address inequities, gaps in access

Massachusetts/ more at link
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh on Tuesday announced that the city has created a new coronavirusmobile testing team that will be moving between neighborhoods to boost testing in communities that have so far lacked it.

The testing unit will be in operation for the next three months beginning on Tuesday, where it is currently stationed at the Jackson Mann Community Center in Allston.

That's disappointing. Although MV has so many tourists from all over. I'm generally proud that where I live in MA I have yet to see any non-compliance. And here in the Berkshires I thought tourism would be down substantially -we get many NY'ers for the cultural events, theater, Tanglewood, dance-all of which are of course not occurring. But our vacation rental has been fully booked, and for monthly, rather than weekly, periods. So, just a different type of tourism. People want to get away and seclude themselves-our property is on several acres with no visible neighbors in a scenic area.

We're going to Truro on the Cape in September. Normally we go out west/southwest but that really requires flying and no way am I doing that in the near future. I just can't wrap my head around how to possibly do that safely. Not sure what to do next winter-hard to drive someplace warm? I'm doubting things are going to change much for the foreseeable future.

Hope you enjoyed the Vineyard otherwise!

I did walk by a smoker a few weeks ago and I got a good whiff of her cigarette smoke from 25' away and wondered, if I can smell the smoke, I'll bet I can inhale her germs.
I'm visiting Martha's Vineyard off the coast of MA. A tourist hot spot here is the town of Oak Bluffs where they've recently mandated mask wearing anywhere outside in public. I walked through town last night and was amazed that compliance looked to be about only two-thirds. And I'm guessing that 10% of people were wearing masks down on their chin or around their throat. Do some people breath through their chin? I felt like saying "this isn't horseshoes - being close doesn't count!" Sorry to rant here but my son thinks I'm a mask snob (he's right) and I needed to vent.

That's disappointing. Although MV has so many tourists from all over. I'm generally proud that where I live in MA I have yet to see any non-compliance. And here in the Berkshires I thought tourism would be down substantially -we get many NY'ers for the cultural events, theater, Tanglewood, dance-all of which are of course not occurring. But our vacation rental has been fully booked, and for monthly, rather than weekly, periods. So, just a different type of tourism. People want to get away and seclude themselves-our property is on several acres with no visible neighbors in a scenic area.

We're going to Truro on the Cape in September. Normally we go out west/southwest but that really requires flying and no way am I doing that in the near future. I just can't wrap my head around how to possibly do that safely. Not sure what to do next winter-hard to drive someplace warm? I'm doubting things are going to change much for the foreseeable future.

Hope you enjoyed the Vineyard otherwise!

The Berkshires are beautiful. We spent the last few Christmases skiing the mountains. Such an easy drive for us New Jerseyans. We even spent a weekend there in early June when the travel ban was lifted and before I had to go back to work.

We alternate the holidays with trips to family in Florida. I don’t see that happening this year. We always fly and my husband refuses to drive. I am not planning any plane trips until after April 2021 at this point.

Last edited:
Florida reports more than 9,000 new cases of COVID-19, 136 new deaths
Snipped
Florida’s skyrocketing coronavirus death rate is now higher than any other state, edging out Texas, which has about 25% more people. Florida’s new deaths on Tuesday bring its daily average for the past week to 115, topping the 112 deaths a day Texas has reported during that time, Associated Press statistics show. A month ago, Florida was averaging 33 coronavirus deaths a day.
——-
Due to the rising number of cases, the upcoming plan to have the Republican National Convention in Florida to renominate President Donald Trump continues to be on shaky ground. Even after the GOP announced plans to scale back the convention in Jacksonville and hold more events outside, the local sheriff said people’s safety cannot be guaranteed.

"Where we are today is we can't support this plan," Sheriff Mike Williams told local news outlets Monday. "Where do we go from here is a good question. But where we are today, we can't support it."
——-
I cannot believe people will want to come here now- it’s the same people IMO who say it’s a cold and we are all overreacting
JMO

Coronavirus Australia live news: Outbreaks across dozens of Victorian aged care homes as COVID-19 hits state's prisons

an hour ago
The virus is spreading through Victoria's aged care homes

More than 40 aged care homes in Victoria have now reported infections.

Yesterday infections at St Basil's Home for the Aged in Fawkner quadrupled from 13 to 51.

Up to 42 cases have been linked to Estia Health in Ardeer, 31 to Glendale Aged Care at Werribee and 17 to Embracia Aged Care at Avondale Heights.

As a result of these outbreaks, the Victorian Government is restricting access to aged care homes even further.

From now on, carers will only be allowed on the premises for one hour a day and $1,500 is being offered to staff members if they need to quarantine.

Coronavirus Australia live news: Outbreaks across dozens of Victorian aged care homes as COVID-19 hits state's prisons

Emily Sakzewski

39 mins ago
an hour ago
Six jails across Victoria are in lockdown after a guard tested positive for COVID-19

A guard at the Ravenhall Correctional Centre in Melbourne's west has tested positive for coronavirus, and as a precaution Corrections Victoria sent five other jails across the state into lockdown.

Thousands of prisoners will be held in their cells for up to 23 hours a day while cleaning and contact tracing is conducted.

It's the fourth incident inside Victoria's justice system in the last week. A staff member at Metropolitan Remand Centre, and detainee at the Parkville Youth Detention Centre both tested positive last week. The Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre has been in lockdown since Saturday after education coordinator tested positive.

But the prison lockdowns have advocates concerned.

Legal advocates have been calling on the Victorian Government to release low-risk prisoners since the pandemic began.

Just a comment about the content of many articles in the US, using the above as an example. There seems to be many times that the governors' poltical persuasions are cited right after their name.
Is this necessary? Does this not politicise everything? Should covid be politicised? Is politicising covid an issue in the suppression of this virus in the US? (Rhetorical questions. No answers req'd because covid is NOT about politics. imo)

Sorry to have to mention this, but I know that other countries MSM do not say things like "Premier Steven Marshall (Liberal Party-South Australia)" ... they just say "the Premier of South Australia, Steven Marshall".

Not trying to get into ANY kind of politics here ... just commenting on something that US citizens might not even notice because it happens so much.

It's been this way as long as I can remember. There's a Seinfeld episode (about the "fat free" yogurt) where a character quotes a news story that refers to Rudy Giuliani simply as "the republican," and that was from 1993. Members of congress were always introduced on news talk shows as "John Doe, <party> from <state>"

Florida reports more than 9,000 new cases of COVID-19, 136 new deaths
Snipped
Florida’s skyrocketing coronavirus death rate is now higher than any other state, edging out Texas, which has about 25% more people. Florida’s new deaths on Tuesday bring its daily average for the past week to 115, topping the 112 deaths a day Texas has reported during that time, Associated Press statistics show. A month ago, Florida was averaging 33 coronavirus deaths a day.
——-
Due to the rising number of cases, the upcoming plan to have the Republican National Convention in Florida to renominate President Donald Trump continues to be on shaky ground. Even after the GOP announced plans to scale back the convention in Jacksonville and hold more events outside, the local sheriff said people’s safety cannot be guaranteed.

"Where we are today is we can't support this plan," Sheriff Mike Williams told local news outlets Monday. "Where do we go from here is a good question. But where we are today, we can't support it."
——-
I cannot believe people will want to come here now- it’s the same people IMO who say it’s a cold and we are all overreacting
JMO
So if the police cannot provide safety should all campaigning stop with no election in November because of COVID ?

In my smallish town which is part of a what we call the "7 Cities" or "Hampton Roads" but most people not from here only recognize Virginia Beach...we have 169 patients in the hospital (our small hospital) with Covid!

I see another lockdown (although since we are a tourist hotspot and folks here depend on that tourist dollar) coming...MOO

Have they provided any type of break down on where the cases are coming from or the ages?

The Virginia dashboard lacks detailed information by City.

Do you think we'll hear from the governor soon? I thought surely he would speak today.
Moo

"We'll all get by with a little help from our friends", something to remember during this Pandemic, when we feel down.
Whether it is family, neighbours, Police, Hospital staff, we are not alone.

BB171mYE.img

© Martin Philbey/Redferns/Getty Images Jimmy Barnes performs on stage at Rod Laver Arena on October 12, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia.

Jimmy Barnes has revealed he spent Monday night in the St Vincent Hospital emergency department in Sydney .

"I spent last night in ER at St Vincent Hospital and I want to thank the amazing staff who took care of me," the 64-year-old rocker wrote on Twitter on Tuesday. "This song (see next post) is for them and my best friend @jane13barnes who dashed me there and stayed by my side. We'll all get by with a little help from our friends"
The Cold Chisel frontman then shared a video, joined by his wife Jane Barnes, daughter Elly-May and grandson Dylan.

Boston officials launch mobile coronavirus testing team to address inequities, gaps in access

Massachusetts/ more at link
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh on Tuesday announced that the city has created a new coronavirusmobile testing team that will be moving between neighborhoods to boost testing in communities that have so far lacked it.

The testing unit will be in operation for the next three months beginning on Tuesday, where it is currently stationed at the Jackson Mann Community Center in Allston.

This is a really good idea and can make a difference in areas where there is an outbreak, but people lack the resources to get to a CoVid testing station. Ontario had a problem with CoVid in our agricultural workers who were reluctant to get tested. So the mobile testing lab went to them.

Just a comment about the content of many articles in the US, using the above as an example. There seems to be many times that the governors' poltical persuasions are cited right after their name.
Is this necessary? Does this not politicise everything? Should covid be politicised? Is politicising covid an issue in the suppression of this virus in the US? (Rhetorical questions. No answers req'd because covid should never be about politics. imo)

Sorry to have to mention this, but I know that other countries MSM do not say things like "Premier Steven Marshall (Liberal Party-South Australia)" ... they just say "the Premier of South Australia, Steven Marshall".

Not trying to get into ANY kind of politics here ... just commenting on something that US citizens might not even notice because it happens so much.

Yes, I noticed this too, even at the county level, US mayors' political allegiances are published. As someone seeing this from Canada, it's just so odd, and yes, it has to be a constant reminder of the division within the country. Our county level leaders are non-partisan, but even our provincial leaders are not commonly named with their party affiliation added as if it was part of their name.

So if the police cannot provide safety should all campaigning stop with no election in November because of COVID ?

Campaigning can continue in the same way that businesses, churches/synagogues/mosques, government agencies, families, etc all over the US have adapted and continued during this pandemic. Why not?

The conventions are not mandatory and are rather unnecessary IMO. It’s just one big party.

Trump cannot unilaterally decide to cancel or postpone the November 3 general election by an executive order, under the parameters of a national emergency or disaster declaration, or even if he declared martial law ... only an act of Congress could alter the federal statute to change the date that states appoint their electors.

As far as the election, it will go on as planned November 3. In an extreme scenario where the electoral college does not vote, Trump's term would still expire at noon on January 20, 2021, meaning control of the presidency would go down the line of succession.

And because you may ask, here is a link: No, Trump can't cancel or postpone the November general election over coronavirus

This is a really good idea and can make a difference in areas where there is an outbreak, but people lack the resources to get to a CoVid testing station. Ontario had a problem with CoVid in our agricultural workers who were reluctant to get tested. So the mobile testing lab went to them.

We, too, had an issue during this outbreak in Victoria. People getting to the testing stations. So they parked covid testing vans at the end of many streets so people had to walk no further than 100 metres to a testing station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14