Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a followup to the story yesterday about people not showing up for testing in Phoenix, Troy Hayden, from Fox 10, tweeted from a testing site, today. (Many may remember him as the one who scored the interview with Jodi Arias, immediately after her conviction.) He commented on the lack of people at the testing station and the replies were very interesting, and probably indicative of the general mood, out here. Many people questioned the efficacy of trying to contain the spread of the virus by setting up a random testing site and then (maybe) providing results two weeks later. There also seemed to be a level of exhaustion, with several people commenting that folks are probably too busy dealing with their daily lives. (And, of course, the usual smattering of virus deniers, etc.)

As a followup to the story yesterday about people not showing up for testing in Phoenix, Troy Hayden, from Fox 10, tweeted from a testing site, today. (Many may remember him as the one who scored the interview with Jodi Arias, immediately after her conviction.) He commented on the lack of people at the testing station and the replies were very interesting, and probably indicative of the general mood, out here. Many people questioned the efficacy of trying to contain the spread of the virus by setting up a random testing site and then (maybe) providing results two weeks later. There also seemed to be a level of exhaustion, with several people commenting that folks are probably too busy dealing with their daily lives. (And, of course, the usual smattering of virus deniers, etc.)

I see that the NFL have listed FL and AZ as their top hotspots ... and 95 NFL players have now tested positive across the league. With possibly more anticipated as team members start to show up for training camps.

Maybe the NFL could get some of their players to encourage covid testing (and mask wearing) everywhere. If more personalities encouraged it, maybe that could prompt that sector of the US who are avid NFL fans.

The NFLPA's "heat map" of home markets in which public coronavirus cases are rising the fastest continues to show Florida and Arizona as the most vulnerable .....
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nfl/nflpa-95-positive-tests-among-players-20200722-p55e8w.html

I did walk by a smoker a few weeks ago and I got a good whiff of her cigarette smoke from 25' away and wondered, if I can smell the smoke, I'll bet I can inhale her germs.

I think you are correct. My husband and I were walking an urban trail when two female cyclists went by us. I could smell her deodorant/soap as she passed. I also am certain she could have spread the virus.

How Deadly Is Covid-19? Researchers Are Getting Closer to an Answer

“The estimates suggest the new coronavirus is deadlier than the seasonal flu, though not as lethal as Ebola and other infectious diseases that have emerged in recent years. The coronavirus is killing more people than the deadlier diseases, however, in part because it is more infectious.

“It’s not just what the infection-fatality rate is. It’s also how contagious the disease is, and Covid is very contagious,” said Eric Toner, an emergency medicine physician and senior scholar at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, who studies health-care preparedness for epidemics and infectious diseases. “It’s the combination of the fatality rate and the infectiousness that makes this such a dangerous disease.”“

I think you are correct. My husband and I were walking an urban trail when two female cyclists went by us. I could smell her deodorant/soap as she passed. I also am certain she could have spread the virus.
Yes! That's the other thing I've thought about - perfume, etc., though if those smells originate from areas of the body that don't have respiratory functions, it may be less of a problem.

Getting a whiff of someone will probably not deliver a high viral load. It’s stopping to talk with them, especially without distancing, that poses a problem.

I make it a practice now not to engage in ‘small talk’ while out.

Thank you for posting this informative and sobering article from the great Dr. Fauci: he certainly pulls no punches and levels with the people about what we know (which isn't much) about the damage this virus causes. No one is safe from contracting it----though some certainly they think they are--

The conventions are not mandatory and are rather unnecessary IMO. It’s just one big party.

Trump cannot unilaterally decide to cancel or postpone the November 3 general election by an executive order, under the parameters of a national emergency or disaster declaration, or even if he declared martial law ... only an act of Congress could alter the federal statute to change the date that states appoint their electors.

As far as the election, it will go on as planned November 3. In an extreme scenario where the electoral college does not vote, Trump's term would still expire at noon on January 20, 2021, meaning control of the presidency would go down the line of succession.

And because you may ask, here is a link: No, Trump can't cancel or postpone the November general election over coronavirus

We now have IMHE projections (revised) for all 50 states - but it's a bit scary that at the rate we're going (~1000 deaths a day nationwide, perhaps slightly less)...it's 102 days. So...102,000 people (or more) dead in addition to the 145,000 already dead.

About one quarter of a million Americans dead. So many deaths preventable.

We await the data on age. Such a much larger number of under 50's in the hospitals, it looks like the numbers already posted above are probably correct. 1% of the population will die (age distributed) or, if we're lucky, just ½ percent (which is still a lot of people).

I guess a lot of people think 1 in a 1000 or 1 in 5000 is "almost nothing." But murder is far less common. Death by car accident is less common.

We have a real division between the "it's a lot of people" and the "almost no one has died" people. And people who work in healthcare are getting tired. EMT's and Paramedics are getting tired (and infected).

If we signal to the populace that 200,000 deaths or more is "no big deal," we signal to the violent that violence is "no big deal."

The real effect of 1 in 1000 people dying in a community is apparently not understood until it happens. 1 in 500 (if hospital workers die or can't work, etc).

Not feeling hopeful about our national response right now.

I can believe this. Folks are weary. Mom and dad home schooling, trying to work, kids 24/7 no relief for months, preparing 3 meals a day, little to no socialization and absolutely no entertainment.

If they're not sick, they may not go sit in line to be tested, only to prove they are negative. Folks that have insurance maybe going for doctors visit and doing the rapid test. I would.

Just a thought....

Some people still don't get it.
A couple of weeks ago I saw someone I knew when I was in Aldi.
She kept inching forward, I kept stepping back to a good distance. It was sort of like a dance.
At one point she got uncomfortably close so I took a huge step back. She gave me a funny look.
The sort of look when someone thinks you're a bit strange lol.
I would rather someone think I'm strange, than be fighting for my life, or even worse passing it on to someone I love or anyone else at all.

Getting a whiff of someone will probably not deliver a high viral load. It’s stopping to talk with them, especially without distancing, that poses a problem.

Yet another cultural change that will likely last quite a while. It was already under way, many places, but now, well..it'll be interesting.

Some people believe that this is mostly an "old people's disease" (so they avoid old people - which is great, for the old people biologically but awful psychologically).

Some people believe that you either die or are 100% fine afterwards. Sigh.

Some people believe that behavior will go back to "normal" while CoVid is still killing 1000 or more Americans a day. Not likely.

Did we totally miss the window for a national education program? Even if we figured out the logistics (which frankly, our universities can do), are we too late? A lot of people do not understand what a "germ" is, much less a virus. They think contagion is mostly on the floor (so you mop) and on counters or food prep items (that's not where CoVid hides - when it does).

Covid's most common form of transmission is a conversation where one person is on about day 3-8 of CoVid, the conversation lasts around 10 minutes (although could be shorter) and neither is masked.

Group conversations with lots of laughing can be a "super-spreader" event.

National mourning and close examination of our inability to respond to public health crises? Are we going to be continually divided or will more of us come together to mourn?

Yet another cultural change that will likely last quite a while. It was already under way, many places, but now, well..it'll be interesting.

Some people believe that this is mostly an "old people's disease" (so they avoid old people - which is great, for the old people biologically but awful psychologically).

Some people believe that you either die or are 100% fine afterwards. Sigh.

Some people believe that behavior will go back to "normal" while CoVid is still killing 1000 or more Americans a day. Not likely.

Did we totally miss the window for a national education program? Even if we figured out the logistics (which frankly, our universities can do), are we too late? A lot of people do not understand what a "germ" is, much less a virus. They think contagion is mostly on the floor (so you mop) and on counters or food prep items (that's not where CoVid hides - when it does).

Covid's most common form of transmission is a conversation where one person is on about day 3-8 of CoVid, the conversation lasts around 10 minutes (although could be shorter) and neither is masked.

Group conversations with lots of laughing can be a "super-spreader" event.

National mourning and close examination of our inability to respond to public health crises? Are we going to be continually divided or will more of us come together to mourn?

BBM This. This needs to be the national poster out there for everyone to see. It would be better if our "leader" was the one standing up front showing it with scientist next to him saying, 'This is it folks. And here's what we do about it." Is it REALLY that hard? MOO.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article244391872.html

Cass County July 4th weekend party now responsible for at least 50 COVID-19 cases

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article244348157.html

“Many of the families that are calling us with concerns about COVID and their teenagers, in the next breath are telling us that their teenagers are at work or that they’re babysitting or that they’re out with their friends.

“If you’re calling our office with concerns of exposure, that child should be home. That child should be home until you get advice … stop. Don’t move. Don’t go anywhere until you are getting advice from your pediatrician.”

On Fourth of July weekend Burgert sounded the alarm in a tweet.

“Lots of COVID-19 positive tests in teenagers this week. Work exposures. Party exposures. Summer camp exposures. It’s everywhere,” she wrote. “So, if (your) teen is not feeling well --> KEEP THEM HOME. Let’s work together so we ALL make it to the fireworks show next year, OK?”

————————-
Parents! Pay attention! It’s a pandemic!
Not party time!
(Party? Underage drinking? I’m sure he/she was just going to 7-11 to get a slurpie. Should be home in a few hours)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member