Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #72

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my first outing to have coffee, after lockdown was lifted,with a friend, after the club reopened, I did have a coughing fit. I was mortified and ended up sitting in the foyer and used my inhaler.
It's not the first time that had happened there. But that was before Covid
One time we had our meeting in a room that had been freshly painted. It smelt very strongly of paint. I sat down and felt I had inhaled something, which went right into my lungs. Of course, then the coughing started. This was a couple of years ago.
The other time, same place years ago, I entered the room and there was a very strong smell coming from the carpets which looked very recently cleaned.
This last time, my first outing since lockdown, as soon as we entered the lobby I could smell a strong smell coming from the carpets. I am sure there must have been extra cleaning on everything though.
We chose a table, hardly anyone around, and I was fine until someone walked up to say hello. Instantly I felt I had inhaled something and it went straight to my lungs, it was more excruciating because I was desperate to cough but I wouldn't because of what others might think.

Thankfully the inhaler worked and I also had an antihistamine in my bag. We ended up going back for a second coffee. I was ok this time.
It was either something they clean carpets with, or a speck of dust which flew up when the person stopped to talk.
Of course there was the thought that this time I had "inhaled the virus".
Thankfully I didn't get sick and it's been awhile now.

Can't remember if we've seen this.

Hundreds of Georgia campers infected with coronavirus at YMCA camp in just days, CDC report finds

According to the report, of the 597 residents who attended the camp, 344 were tested and 260 tested positive for the virus. The camp was only open for four days before being shut down because of the virus, and officials followed all recommended safety protocols.

RBBM. Actually, I dispute that last sentence. It wasn't ALL. Because while they had cohorts, and the adults wore masks, and they sanitized as much as possible, they didn't require the kids to wear masks. That's where it all fell down.

Georgia camp with COVID-19 outbreak didn’t require masks

The camp followed disinfecting rules and required staff to wear masks, but campers didn’t have to wear face coverings. Health officials said “relatively large” groups of kids slept in the same cabin where they regularly sang and cheered, likely leading to spread.

I think it just proves that the oft pushed message that most children won't be catching or transmitting the virus is incorrect, the more research is done. The data is not supporting that notion at all. People need to be informed of this. Because it does factor into the whole reopening schools mess.

I’m not in the UK, but thought there was some good guidance and charts here. For me, I especially liked the chart that addresses “What happens if someone in your family gets sick?”

Coronavirus: What are social distancing and self-isolation rules?

(By the way, it is day 15 and I still have not received my test results. Test done on 7/16.)

BBM - slowpoke, I was wondering about you today, whether you got your results today or not. Tomorrow will be day 14 for me with no results; test done on Saturday, July 18. Makes the whole thing seem kind of pointless.

BBM - slowpoke, I was wondering about you today, whether you got your results today or not. Tomorrow will be day 14 for me with no results; test done on Saturday, July 18. Makes the whole thing seem kind of pointless.
I'm sorry to say, but the results are pointless now. I mean, if you are negative that was 2 weeks ago. You could very well be positive if tested today. Or vice versa. Testing is a hot mess all over the country. There is no excuse for this at this late stage of the game.:mad:

I wonder what kind of backlog on testing is happening to have a delay this long. Wouldn't it be wonderful, if states with unused testing capacity could help the states with backlogs.

This is good. Information learned from studying the spread of CoVid will help us also get influenza under control. It's too bad that flu deaths became so accepted as normal that we ignored the possibility we could change things and save lives.

I've posted this a couple of times - with Trisha's permission (it's a list of links about A/C research and also some news articles):

WordPress.com

That's exactly what I was saying to my friend.
I don't have symptoms or feel sick but if they had a testing location close to me I would want to get tested just in case I did have it, but then I'd want to be tested again next week, it would be never ending. You could test negative, come in contact with someone or some surface, pick up the virus half an hour after you get the negative test result.

I'm sorry to say, but the results are pointless now. I mean, if you are negative that was 2 weeks ago. You could very well be positive if tested today. Or vice versa. Testing is a hot mess all over the country. There is no excuse for this at this late stage of the game

At one of my aquafit classes (aquabalance) we do lots of stretching and compressing - good for many internal organs apparently. But these actions cause coughing in some people - myself included - and we all look at each other "oh no, I hope this isn't the virus".

Seems like every innocent cough causes people to look sideways these days.

An asymptomatic carrier of CoVid would still distribute the virus - no matter what kind of cough. Virus doesn't care whether it caused the cough. This person, thinking their cough was normal, and having no other symptoms is a candidate to be a super spreader. So, yeah, eyebrows would go up (and I wouldn't be able to be in that pool, myself!)

So yeah, if there are people coughing (or panting or heaving big sighs) near you, and they are even mildly infected, now you're getting the air that's been deep in their lungs.

With the high CoVid rates where I live, it would be really scary to have gyms or aqua classes open (and we don't). I hope we get to your stage some day.

I wonder what kind of backlog on testing is happening to have a delay this long. Wouldn't it be wonderful, if states with unused testing capacity could help the states with backlogs.

Because I am at the bottom of the pile:
The top priority goes to patients who are showing symptoms of COVID-19, hospitalized patients, doctors and nursing home patients. After that, he said, priority goes to front-line workers who interact with the public, such as grocery store employees.

Lowest priority goes to people who are not showing symptoms. That group, he said, can wait 15 days or longer to get back results after being tested.
Why does coronavirus testing take so long now? Doctor offers reasons for lag

IF I had it, I am already cleared (per cdc) to discontinue self-isolation. If I didn’t have it, I needlessly confined myself to one room, away from my husband and son for over 10 days.

I am feeling fine now. Only low grade fever for 2 days and slight abdominal pain. My husband is the one who had the potential exposure, and he learned he was negative 14 days after his test. I thought I may have got it from him, so I THINK I will end up being negative.

The symptoms I had weren’t enough to be considered symptoms for covid in their eyes. Fever under 100.4 doesn’t count, I was told.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I was saying to my friend.
I don't have symptoms or feel sick but if they had a testing location close to me I would want to get tested just in case I did have it, but then I'd want to be tested again next week, it would be never ending. You could test negative, come in contact with someone or some surface, pick up the virus half an hour after you get the negative test result.
But, the tests are not just for you. Your test is for others too - if positive. If you tested positive, you would be asked about persons with whom you have had contact. They would need to be tested.

Because I am at the bottom of the pile:

Why does coronavirus testing take so long now? Doctor offers reasons for lag

IF I had it, I am already cleared (per cdc) to discontinue self-isolation. If I didn’t have it, I needlessly confined myself to one room, away from my husband and son for over 10 days.

I am feeling fine now. Only low grade fever for 2 days and slight abdominal pain. My husband is the one who had the potential exposure, and he learned he was negative 14 days after his test. I thought I may have got it from him, so I THINK I will end up being negative.

The symptoms I had weren’t enough to be considered symptoms for covid in their eyes. Fever under 100.4 doesn’t count, I was told.

Low grade fever and abdominal pain. My concern for you, and everyone else, is you've sat for 2 weeks with who knows what while waiting on a Covid test. People are really getting sick with other issues still. Jmo

I wonder if the US military could help with testing. I notice that they have one large (research) lab in Maryland, and other labs in North Carolina, New Mexico, Florida, Ohio and Virginia. Perhaps these would suitably adapt for covid testing.

United States Army Research Laboratory - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I'm sorry I'm not sure what your point is.
I have said in other posts that we need to be tested for our own benefit as well as for others.
Where in my post did you get that I was only concerned about myself ?

But, the tests are not just for you. Your test is for others too - if positive. If you tested positive, you would be asked about persons with whom you have had contact. They would need to be tested.

I wonder if the US military could help with testing. I notice that they have one large (research) lab in Maryland, and other labs in North Carolina, New Mexico, Florida, Ohio and Virginia. Perhaps these would suitably adapt for covid testing.

United States Army Research Laboratory - Wikipedia
It used to be USAMRID but they been effectively dismissed. They were at the forefront for Ebola... look at the movie ‘Outbreak’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141