Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what happens to travelers just driving through to destinations north? What happens on Route 95? A number of states have quarantines in place - do people get stopped at the border of each state?
Back when Florida was locking down and not allowing NY and NJ travelers in, state police were out on 95 and 75 stopping cars w/ those license plates. They were also given forms to fill out as to where they were going and how to contact them at their destination. They were also warned to self-quarantine for 14 days.
I don't know how much followup was done to make sure they quarantined, though.

Interesting, NYTs does not state what they based the $1-$5 cost per day on.

Neither of the other articles reference a retail cost of the product.

I think this is a great concept and one Dr. Birx spoke of often in the early stages of test development.

My concern, the low accuracy rate for false negative test.

Have you been able to watch the video posted by dixie earlier? I put it below, if you haven't and are interested.
It explains really well exactly how the tests work, they seem to always register positive when a person is in the infectious period of covid infection. They can be ambiguous (positive or negative) either side of the infectious period.

It was also anticipated in the video that the tests would cost about $1. So, perhaps the stated range of up to $5 allows for distributor and retail costs as well.

Arrested woman 'attacked liver transplant recipient' over mask | Daily Mail Online

New Jersey Woman, 25, Is Arrested After 'Attacking Recent Liver Transplant Recipient, 54, In Staples Store And Breaking Her Leg' When She Was Asked To Wear Her Pulled-Down Mask Over Her Mouth

Terri Thomas, 25, charged with aggravated assault in July 29 attack at Staples in Hackensack, New Jersey

Thomas is accused of knocking down Margot Kagan, 54, during argument over face mask at Staples store in Hackensack on July 29

Attack was caught on surveillance video, which shows woman identified as Thomas throwing Kagan to the floor after brief exchange

Kagan, who underwent liver transplant four months ago, broke her left tibia and required surgery to put steel plate in her knee

"A New Jersey woman has been arrested for allegedly knocking down a liver transplant recipient and breaking her leg during a dispute over a face mask at a store.

The Hackensack Police Department on Tuesday announced the arrest of Terri Thomas, 25, on an aggravated assault charge in connection to the violent attack on 54-year-old Margot Kagan, which took place inside a Staples store on July 29.

According to investigators, Kagan was using a fax machine at the office supply store in Hackensack when a woman, later identified as Thomas, approached a machine next to her."

'Do you really need to party?' WHO asks world's youth

'Do you really need to party?' WHO asks world's youth

By Emma Farge

1 hour ago
upload_2020-8-6_8-4-0.png
Young people must curb their party instincts to help prevent new outbreaks of the COVID-19 disease, officials at the World Health Organization (WHO) pleaded on Wednesday.

Tired of lockdowns and eager to enjoy the northern hemisphere summer, young people in some countries have been contributing to resurgences by gathering again for parties, barbecues and holidays.

Even in Geneva, where the global U.N. health body is based, cabarets and clubs were closed last week after evidence that nearly half of new cases were coming from there.

"Younger people also need to take on board that they have a responsibility," said WHO emergencies chief and father-of-three Mike Ryan in an online discussion. "Ask yourself the question: do I really need to go to that party?"

BB17BV6j.img

© Reuters/AMIR COHEN FILE PHOTO: Youths wearing bathing suits, huddle together for a picture as they visit Zikim beach, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in southern Israel

Young people are less likely to suffer a severe form of the respiratory disease than their parents or grandparents, but the proportion of those infected aged 15-24 has risen three-fold in about five months, WHO data shows.
Ryan said young people were often reticent in giving their details or disclosing friends' names to contact tracers. "It's tough but it is what is needed to stop the virus," he said.

Swiss newspapers said that in one night club in Zurich from which cases emerged recently, partygoers had given fake names including "Donald Duck".

As well as reducing risks to others, WHO epidemiologist Maria Van Kerkhove said young people should be careful as even a mild version of the disease might have long-term consequences.

Have you been able to watch the video posted by dixie earlier? I put it below, if you haven't and are interested.
It explains really well exactly how the tests work, they seem to always register positive when a person is in the infectious period of covid infection. They can be ambiguous (positive or negative) either side of the infectious period.

It was also anticipated in the video that the tests would cost about $1. So, perhaps the stated range of up to $5 allows for distributor and retail costs as well.

Thanks, I did an extensive search MIT and 3M, I find no reference from MIT or 3M to the cost of the product. I did email a friend at MIT to see what he may know.

Spending my career in HC, unless it comes from the manufacturer I don't consider reliable. Manufacturers are going to recoup R&D cost plus a profit.

Yes, the article stated the test was "more" accurate for a positive result. I would like to see a percent of "more" and a percent of false negatives.

In May FDA withdrew emergency approval for many of the rapid test after clinical trials were completed.

Maybe....waiting to see actual data.

Moo...

ETA We are using CARES Act money from the federal government to purchase the tests, and partnering with other universities to buy in huge quantities to drive down the cost.

Several of our universities in Ohio have contracted with a vendor to purchase the paper strip tests, and we will be using them the first weeks of the fall semester to randomly test students, faculty and staff. We had a webinar briefing today to find out how they work, and what the plan is. Still being developed, but contract signed and paper strip testing is on the way.

Last edited:
Several of our universities in Ohio have contracted with a vendor to purchase the paper strip tests, and we will be using them the first weeks of the fall semester to randomly test students, faculty and staff. We had a webinar briefing today to find out how they work, and what the plan is. Still being developed, but contract signed and paper strip testing is on the way.

That is great news. The sooner there is success with a simple 'home test', the sooner we will all be able to loosen up a bit. imo

That is great news. The sooner there is success with a simple 'home test', the sooner we will all be able to loosen up a bit. imo

I watched the video you posted by Dr. Seheult, which is very similar to the explanation we received on the webinar today, but Dr. Seheult's explanation was in more detail, so thanks for posting it.

Does anybody know what happens to travelers just driving through to destinations north? What happens on Route 95? A number of states have quarantines in place - do people get stopped at the border of each state?

I found this info, which may answer your question somewhat:

What if I just passed through a designated state?

The quarantine requirement does not apply to anyone who has passed through a designated state for less than 24 hours, such as stopping at
rest stops, or layovers for air travel, bus travel or train travel.
Do you need to quarantine for 14 days? 14 things to know about New York’s coronavirus travel rules

Ugh :mad:

Clorox wipes shortage expected to continue until 2021 as coronavirus drives demand

Clorox, the world's biggest cleaning products maker, said grocery store shelves won’t be fully stocked with its disinfecting wipes until next year, according to a report on Tuesday.

The shortage was attributed to a surge in demand for many of its disinfectant products, which has increased sixfold during the coronavirus pandemic, CEO Benno Dorer told Reuters.

“Disinfecting wipes, which are the hottest commodity in the business right now, will probably take longer because it’s a very complex supply chain to make them,” Dorer said.
What the heck did we do before they were invented? Lol. We are seriously used to our creature comforts.

I've been looking for a thermometer for months now, well mostly online and did order one once with my Woolworths order but they weren't able to supply it. I did see some in a chemist a few weeks ago but wasnt't sure I wanted to spend $140 on one so ended up not buying it.
Anyway I managed to find one at Big W online and will pick it up soon, it was $44 and a brand that I've heard of. Seems something that could be useful in these uncertain times.
$140!!! Nope!

I posted another time prior about someone’s experience of how the 14-day quarantining is handled in South Korea. This account of another young man who traveled there due to having an internship is a more detailed one, with lots of photos.
Once inside the hotel, individuals were led to booths for more paperwork, more instruction, and, finally, for payment processing. At a cost of 1.4 million South Korean won—or about $80 per day—for luxury accommodations and three daily meals – this qualified as an exceptional bargain.

It is largely because of the organization, discipline, attention to detail, and reliance on technology that Elan experienced during his quarantine that South Korea has managed the pandemic so well. As of this time, Seoul, a city of roughly ten million residents, has suffered only nine deaths due to Covid-19.
Quarantining In Korea: One Young American’s Unique Travel Adventure During The Covid-19 Pandemic

What the heck did we do before they were invented? Lol. We are seriously used to our creature comforts.

Here is another creature comfort for you and for those who can't find Clorox wipes...

Simply SPEAKING INTO YOUR PHONE or texting can coat your phone with bacteria and saliva! :eek:
And we handle so many other devices all day long. Just think of the things that you touch. Remote Controls Tablets & iPads Laptops & Keyboards Telephone Handsets Desktops, Tables & Other Surfaces Calculators & Phone Chargers Eyeglasses & Pens.

But to clean these things you don't want to get them wet, so then you have this!

No big deal I suppose in the grand scheme of things, but just wanted to report that today is the 19th day since I had my Covid-19 test at the CVS Pharmacy drive-thru (July 18). Still no results back.

I finally emailed them this morning (CVS 'My Chart' customer service) and got the following auto reply:
"Thank you for your e-mail. Due to high volume, average time for a response is 3 business days."

Well, that's good to know, lol. Wonder how long 3 days will be if 6-10 for testing is at least 19? :rolleyes:
WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member