Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UK has slightly less than 1% of the world's population and 5% of the world's deaths. (41504 out of 857243). (UK is about .0088 of the world's population). So, same ratio as the US (5X as many deaths as would be proportionate to population).

So in very close proximity to the same rates as the US, unless we're quibbling over fractions of a percent. (US has 4.3% of world population).

Together, these two English-speaking nations constitute about 27% of the world's deaths, with just 5% of the world's population.

More has been written about CoVid in English than in any other language (it is the language of science, after all). Both nations think of themselves as modern. Compare to Canada or Australia and it's just mind-boggling.

Per capita, UK has more deaths than the US, which is another significant number. It's fine to criticize the US for its botched handling - we knew it was coming, did nothing to scale it down, etc, etc. But we are not exactly in this league all by ourselves. Belgium beats both the UK and the US.

COVID-19 deaths per capita by country | Statista

We also have more than 25 % of the cases too. Probably because we have the busiest airports in the world. Everyone wants to visit UK and US.

Our care home deaths were pretty high too, not sure of the exact amount but it certainly did not help. Same with US, remove 73k from the US count and it is down to 110k.

Last edited:
They said it was promising in phase 2 and they may have partial results already. It also would be emergency use only so offered to those with serious health issues. Probably Cancer, Dementia, Diabetes, immune problems etc. MOO. Why shouldn't they be given the chance. Especially when so many have already died this could be a lifeline. That's why they would do it, to save lives.

From what I have read and heard, it normally takes anywhere from 4 years to maybe 10 years to develop a safe vaccine. Because of the lethality of this virus they have accelerated the process in an unprecedented way--- i think there is a reason a vaccine has had to prove it is safe after going thru three complete stages. If you shorten the process you really don't know what can happen with the vaccine: maybe it will kill people or make them much sicker. In other words, you could make things much worse.
I think the FDA is being pressured and I don't like it.

You could not pay me to take a vaccine that I feel would be rushed.

We received an email today from Ohio State as part of their recruitment of volunteers to participate in a vaccine trial in Columbus, Ohio. Participants must commit to two years and there will be a placebo group as well as the group that gets the vaccine. They are mostly looking for essential workers as volunteers, but another category of volunteers they are recruiting are individuals in relatively good health who are over 65. It is an AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine candidate trial. I will do more reading about it later tonight, am working remotely right now and can't read all of the materials. Not sure what the criteria actually are for the over 65 volunteers.

The nature of this virus is what has caused so many problems-- for older people and people with certain pre existing conditions, the virus can be fatal and make people very sick; for younger people who are healthy, for the most part (though there are exceptions), they are either asymptomatic or mildly ill, so those people who don't get symptoms or who get only a mild illness, like the flu or a cold, they think, what's the big deal? but of course they can spread the virus to more vulnerable people; it seems they don't think about that much.
I hope they're reading the articles about long term effects in mild cases too

Coronavirus: Lockdown rules to be tightened around Glasgow as cases rise

Lockdown rules are to be tightened in and around Glasgow following a rise of coronavirus cases.

Under the measures - which will apply to the City of Glasgow, West Dunbartonshire and East Renfrewshire - households will not be able to visit each other from midnight tonight.

Care home visits will have to take place outdoors and only emergency hospital visits will be allowed across the three areas.

Today I went to Henry Ford Hospital outpatient department for a medical issue. The medical assistant told me as we were chitty chatting that she had Covid in March. That made me kinda nervous-- However, I figure she must have been tested and okay or she wouldn't be working in this medical office. I am also supposed to go to physical therapy for pelvic floor dysfunction issues and i am kinda nervous about doing that. Not sure I am comfortable doing that.

I have just finished four weekly visits for this very thing. I was screened when I came in, everyone was masked, and it was a good experience.

I believe my doctor's office puts a disposable sleeve on the thermometer before putting it in my mouth. But I haven't been in the office since before Covid so they may have switched to no touch thermometers.

I have been to quite a few health care providers over the last six months, and only one used an under-the-tongue model, but it did have sleeves.

From what I have read and heard, it normally takes anywhere from 4 years to maybe 10 years to develop a safe vaccine. Because of the lethality of this virus they have accelerated the process in an unprecedented way--- i think there is a reason a vaccine has had to prove it is safe after going thru three complete stages. If you shorten the process you really don't know what can happen with the vaccine: maybe it will kill people or make them much sicker. In other words, you could make things much worse.

Is there a link for your statement taking 4 to 10 years for vaccine development?

We develop flu vaccines quickly each year. We have much more experience and never in my memory have so many drug manufacturers and universities working towards one common goal.

The HINI flu vaccine was approved by FDA within 6 months. Not sure why folks are so concerned with a quick development. Most folks didn't even hear much from our government about H1N1, it was also declared a worldwide pandemic by WHO.

2009 H1N1 Flu Pandemic Timeline

April 15
  • First human infection with new influenza A H1N1 virus detected in California.
June 11
  • The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a pandemic and raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to phase 6, which means the virus was spreading to other parts of the world.
  • CDC held its first press conference with former CDC Director Thomas Frieden, MD, MPH. The press conference had 2,355 participants.
June 25
  • CDC estimated at least 1 million cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza had occurred in the United States.
June 11
  • The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a pandemic and raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to phase 6, which means the virus was spreading to other parts of the world.
  • CDC held its first press conference with former CDC Director Thomas Frieden, MD, MPH. The press conference had 2,355 participants.
July 22
  • Clinical trials testing the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine began.
September 15
  • The FDA announced its approval of four 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccines.
October

October 5
  • First doses of H1N1 vaccine were given in the U.S.
November 12
  • CDC released its first estimates official estimates of 2009 H1N1 cases, hospitalization and deaths.

CDC Novel H1N1 Flu | CDC Estimates of 2009 H1N1 Influenza Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths in the United States
  • CDC estimates that between 14 million and 34 million cases of 2009 H1N1 occurred between April and October 17, 2009. The mid-level in this range is about 22 million people infected with 2009 H1N1.

As I have posted before about my husband's relaxed view on everything going on can cause anxiety for me. A person feels alone if their loved one seems distant to what concerns you. I am so thankful to have people on here that are helpful, thanks everyone!

That is a great point, that I haven't see made before. My wife is in several high-risk groups, but decided, in the beginning to take her chances. It would have been difficult if I kept going out and socializing and she was home, isolating. I know another, older, couple where the wife has many medical issues and the husband is starting to venture out more. It sounds like it's already becoming quite a contentious issue.

It isn't going away. It will come back in the winter when everyone is back indoors again.

Yes, Covid is not going away and the winter will see a drastic spike in cases.

We need the vaccine as quickly as possible. Our long term care patients and those with underlying conditions need a vaccine to have any hope of surviving the winter.

Last edited:
Yes, Cobid is not going away and the winter will see a drastic spike in cases.

We need the vaccine as quickly as possible. Our long term care patients and those with underlying conditions need a vaccine to have any hope of surviving the winter.

I think that the real problem will be backlog on tests, as so many people might have the flu, and will think it is Covid. Or people will have Covid, shrug it off, thinking it is a cold or flu.

Everyone, please get a flu vaccine this year.

Vaccine-making technology is very different than in the past, though. I am very optimistic about both the vaccine and its clinical trials.

I think they already know that it doesn't kill people or make them sicker. All people in the early trials had very mild reactions to the vaccine. In fact, it seemed to work very well in two doses (smaller) rather than one big dose.

Tens of thousands of people have already been vaccinated. So far, no deaths.

Economist: Pay Americans $1,000 each to take a coronavirus vaccine

One in Three Americans Would Not Get COVID-19 Vaccine

“If we don’t get herd immunity, we’re not getting our economy back and we’re not getting our society and our lives back,” Robert Litan, an economist who served in the Clinton administration and the Brookings scholar who authored the report, told Yahoo Finance (video above). “If you paid $1,000 a person — so for a family of four you’re talking $4,000. In these hard times, that’s a lot of money and I think a lot of people would take the vaccine for $1,000.”

613d09b0-e625-11ea-bfa8-ba42d417a136

Once the U.S. epicenter, New York's coronavirus cases have decreased dramatically. (Graphic: David Foster/Yahoo Finance)

During H1N1 hospitals, home health agencies, LTC facilities required staff to take the vaccine.

If employees refused to take the vaccine they were often offered unpaid leave.

H1N1 affected 22 million people in the US.

I certainly hope the US does not decide to pay people to take the vaccine.

Some employers will require the vaccine, especially in healthcare or be offered unpaid leave.

Schools will be placed in a difficult situation with students that refuse to be vaccinated. They can declare it a public health risk and provide in home education.

But pay people to take the vaccine...no way.

MOO...

'She cared like no other nurse': South Carolina front-line worker dies of COVID-19 — NBC News

“When the coronavirus hit the United States, Patricia Edwards' resolve to help patients became stronger than ever.

An intensive care unit nurse for three decades, she had worked the overnight shift her entire career, taking care of the sickest patients in the hospital during the most trying hours of the night. The Greenville, South Carolina, resident knew she was needed in the fight against the pandemic.

But what Edwards, 62, did not know was that the coronavirus would eventually infect her own household, killing her and her mother in the span of a week.”

That is a great point, that I haven't see made before. My wife is in several high-risk groups, but decided, in the beginning to take her chances. It would have been difficult if I kept going out and socializing and she was home, isolating. I know another, older, couple where the wife has many medical issues and the husband is starting to venture out more. It sounds like it's already becoming quite a contentious issue.
Can I ask, if your missus had not taken this stance would you still have gone to bars?

Its a tricky dynamic I think.

Yesterday we went to our local village pub for the first time since March. I had to persuade Mr HKP. He has this anxiety that I might get it again. He doesnt want us to have visitors in the house either.

I suppose I have to recognise that he was frightened and I'm mindful of that.

Here's what I think: since the pandemic hit America, it was lots of older people, who got sick and died : Now it is hitting younger people who are either asymptomatic or have milder symptoms. the other thing that has changed is most older people remain isolated-- I know my husband and I are IMO most older people have not "moved on to other things"-- older people are still hunkering down, as they should. It is still important for younger asymptomatic people to quarantine and not spread the virus to more vulnerable people. The school situation is still an issue-- as far as sports, we shall see what happens with NFL football. I don't see life just movin' on my friend.

I think in a lot of families, the older people are staying home and younger people are going out. The house parties and other gatherings continue. I wish we had more data on CoVid by age group (preferably with rolling 7 day averages). I know there are charts showing just how many of the current cases are in the 18-24 crowd (a lot) but I'm not sure that's state by state.

We feel very isolated. We are used to spending lots of time, just the two of us, in the house - but we are also used to spending 30 hours a week directly in contact with young people. It's so hard to get across proper concepts and learning strategies via Zoom. They refuse to ask questions - or ask only the most tedious and repetitive questions (they aren't reading anything at all that I can tell, most of them).

The college students know less about CoVid than I would have thought. A lot of them have parents (typically in the mid-40's to early 50's) who have changed nothing about their lifestyle, except when required by law or policy. The students themselves are not working at jobs in the same numbers as last year. The thing about having to work at a job is that it provides structure, but also a contrast to higher ed. Do they want to work at a donut shop forever? Or an outlet mall? Well, right now, they can't work there, so they can't compare the hard work of college to the hard work of retail or food service.

It's now been 5 months since most were in a regular classroom. While many hang out regularly with their friends, others are confined at home (and some spend the entire day by themselves or with siblings, as parents are essential workers). The only jobs they can find are working at long term care facilities or halfway houses, that kind of thing - which they are declining to do. Those who have had CoVid report that it's mainly a nuisance, not a serious disease - so that's probably what they tell their friends, as well.

My husband teaches a capstone course that isn't usually taken until the senior year or first year of grad school, and the students report terrible lack of optimism about finding work after graduation.

None of this is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members