Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have friends, 16 families in an out break. All but 3 were asymptomatic or mild cases. 2 elderly and 1 in his 40s were hospitalized but have recovered. Most ages were 40s, 50s and 60s. Those with mild cases have told me it wasn't as bad as a cold or flu. Except for the 3 hospitalized, all symptoms were gone in less than 10 days. 10 families have fully recovered and 6 families are still mildly ill. Except for those hospitalized most didn't need any medication.
The 16 families that were part of an outbreak, were they at a family gathering that exposed everyone? Or not connected?

I think most of us on here are aware of some people have recovered and in certain cases do have long term issues. There may be a positive side that some do not have problems after. I think it is important to talk about that as well. Doubt many on here take the virus lightly from what I have read. We all need some hope too. At least I do, thanks Tillicum.

My 88 year old (independent and 100% cognative father) has been on lockdown since March in Calgary.
I hope that he and his wife can visit their grandchildren. This is such a cruel disease.

October 1st is Mid-Autumn Festival in China, and it is the second largest holiday after Chinese New Year. Mid-Autumn Festival is like our Thanksgiving in the U.S. Everyone travels to their home town to be with family. People have at least a week off work. I wonder how they will handle it this year.

October 12th is Thanksgiving holiday in Canada. I wonder if people in Canada will be travelling for that holiday this year. I know when I lived in Canada over 30 years ago, when I was a college student, we traveled to be with family for Thanksgiving. Similar to Thanksgiving in the U.S.

Personally, I would have hoped that the US death rate could be about 1/3 of what it is now. More in the range of Canada's death rate.

With better overall leadership, better compliance, and far less travel (and spread).
Cases would have had to be only about 2 million for the deaths to have only been 60k. I don't know how that could have been achieved when looking at just the care home deaths of 73K and the deaths in NY, for example.

Cases would have had to be only about 2 million for the deaths to have only been 60k. I don't know how that could have been achieved when looking at just the care home deaths of 73K and the deaths in NY, for example.
Why is that significant?

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Updated list.

From the link -

People of any age with certain underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:

People of any age with the following conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19:

COVID-19 is a new disease. Currently there are limited data and information about the impact of underlying medical conditions and whether they increase the risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Based on what we know at this time, people with the following conditions might be at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:

Want to see the evidence behind these lists?

Children who have medical complexity, who have neurologic, genetic, metabolic conditions, or who have congenital heart disease might be at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 compared to other children.

The list of underlying conditions is meant to inform clinicians to help them provide the best care possible for patients, and to inform individuals as to what their level of risk may be so they can make individual decisions about illness prevention. We are learning more about COVID-19 every day. This list is a living document that may be updated at any time, subject to potentially rapid change as the science evolves.

Last edited:
I think most of us on here are aware of some people have recovered and in certain cases do have long term issues. There may be a positive side that some do not have problems after. I think it is important to talk about that as well. Doubt many on here take the virus lightly from what I have read. We all need some hope too. At least I do, thanks Tillicum.

Over just the past week, I've talked to several people who recovered. All of them were very mild cases. Two of them were sick about 3 days. Jmo

I think I've read that some of the strains are more contagious than others but have milder symptoms for some. It was frightening how quickly it spread through those who were asymptomatic before anyone got sick. By the time the first was sick and tested positive it had already infected many families. Then there's the financial impact. 16 families infected, 2-3 people per family missing work for 14 days.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...-memorial-honors-1-500-detroiters-lost-covid-

This was a touching tribute to some of those who died in Detroit. Their pictures were placed along a route at Belle Isle and people drove past these photos. I think it was very touching and a lovely thing to do.

'I couldn't hide my tears': Families mourn at Belle Isle tribute to virus victims

The article would not come up before but it should come up now. Very touching with 900 photos of those who perished from the virus- there were lots more whose photos are not here.

Why is that significant?

Out of personal interest, I had a little look to see where Canada's significant coronavirus successes have been:

Canada has some geographical advantages, with most major cities being quite far apart
Canada has no cities with the population density of places like NYC, who suffered greatly initially
Canada was able to jump on testing quickly - which enabled isolating the sick, tracing contacts and limiting spread - unfortunately the US initially had difficulties with faulty tests
Their people have been, by and large, disciplined and undivided
They moved early to limit inter-province travel and quarantine people
They have been "appropriately cautious" when lifting restrictions
Their national health system has given advantages to the people, as they were not deterred from seeking care due to costs
Their officials have largely set aside partisan grievances for a “Team Canada” effort

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...86330a-c14c-11ea-b4f6-cb39cd8940fb_story.html

Last edited:
Over just the past week, I've talked to several people who recovered. All of them were very mild cases. Two of them were sick about 3 days. Jmo
5 months after I was ill (mild case in terms of how it would be described) and I spent two days last week suffering fatigue again. I thought it was behind me.

There's an article in the bbc today which unfortunately I cant link due to my ipad being glitchy, but it's an account from someone suffering terrible long term effects.

So much is as yet unknown, which is what worries me about the longterm situation.

5 months after I was ill (mild case in terms of how it would be described) and I spent two days last week suffering fatigue again. I thought it was behind me.

There's an article in the bbc today which unfortunately I cant link due to my ipad being glitchy, but it's an account from someone suffering terrible long term effects.

So much is as yet unknown, which is what worries me about the longterm situation.

I wish we collectively knew of some way to help you. :(

I'm not directing this post to anyone in particular, but just in general to everyone involved in this discussion tonight. I have been wondering lately what number of deaths from COVID were to be expected (to date) in the U.S., even if we had done everything "right," as if that were possible, hypothetically.
This has to be my opinion, because I don't have time to go back to check everything, but if memory serves, I do recall in an early press conference, President Trump saying that we could limit the deaths to around 60,000. Fauci and Birx seemed to agree. MOO

Iowa State planning to host 25,000 football fans as COVID-19 surges

Despite the state being coronavirus hot spot, Iowa State University is planning to have around 25,000 fans at its home opener Sept. 12.

White House coronavirus experts warned Iowa leaders Sunday that the state has the country's steepest outbreak, and the state should close bars in 61 counties and test all returning college students.

Coronavirus live updates: Fauci implores Americans ahead of Labor Day; Iowa State football all-in; August was California's deadliest month

Last edited:
This has to be my opinion, because I don't have time to go back to check everything, but if memory serves, I do recall in an early press conference, President Trump saying that we could limit the deaths to around 60,000. Fauci and Birx seemed to agree. MOO

April 17th:

Trump: " .... But we did a lot of work, and the people of this country were incredible, I have to say. And I think we’re heading to the other category, and that would be if we did work and if it was successful, they had between 100,000 and 220,000 to 240,000 on the upside. And I think we’ll be substantially, hopefully, below the hundred number. And I think, right now, we’re heading at probably around 60-, maybe 65,000."

Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing | April 17, 2020 | The White House

Trump projects overall novel coronavirus death toll in US at 60,000-65,000

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members