Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing that I noticed was staff who were working part time at two or more locations. Does the care home do this to avoid benefits for full time workers?
That must aid the spread if workers are going to several care homes during the week.

In this country, many of the casual care home workers are agency staff. So they get sent wherever the agency requires them to work ... to cover shifts where regular staff are off ill or on holiday, to cover night and weekend shifts where no-one else will work, etc.
So they get sent to a variety of places.

My DD did agency work for a while, when she was first getting her footing in the nursing world here in Adelaide. She worked at many different places. Mostly care homes and dementia wards. The less 'popular' places to work.

They have to be flexible enough to get a call from the agency, and get dressed in their uniform and go to work wherever they are needed.

Agencies might have to streamline their workers/schedules now, to stop this practise of being sent to multiple places.

Last edited:
Yes, staff should have full time jobs at a single location. It's ridiculous that they had to work at more than one facility. But giving full time hours to staff is probably an easier fix than the problem of having service providers who go from home to home.

The person who adjusts and repairs mobility devices probably shows up at every care facility in the region once every two weeks. The hair dresser may come twice a week. The nail care provider may be on site one morning a week and fill the rest of the week at other facilities. There are many more service providers who make the rounds. They can't be expected to limit their access to one care facility.

The dentist. The eye doctor. Hospice. Unless it's a very large nursing home, the medical director may also be in private practice. In assisted living buildings, there is usually no doctor, but nurse practitioners that visit as needed, multiple facilities. And as long as our homes don't pay better than they do now, even full-time workers will pick up call shifts in other facilities. Look sometime at what they offer Certified Nursing Assistants. Often, they could make more working at McDonalds.

I am confused as to what mild symptoms really mean? Is it they don't need medical attention? I am thinking it is that. So everyone regardless of severity if no medical help needed would be put into mild case? And no symptoms but positive is mild? Do they get symptoms at a later day? I am not clear because I haven't read or heard any asymptomatic case that was followed through to the person being tested negative and what they experienced. Everything I understand is that most people that have articles written about their experience, they share it is miserable. Never hear the experience of a person that has very mild to no symptoms?

I guess tresir is saying that South Korea might not have counted those cases and deaths arising from them in their totals, thereby skewing the "rankings."

I just don't care whether we (the U.S.) are first (we aren't) or last (we aren't). I just care that we've done a horrible job. (We have.)

I'm not directing this post to anyone in particular, but just in general to everyone involved in this discussion tonight. I have been wondering lately what number of deaths from COVID were to be expected (to date) in the U.S., even if we had done everything "right," as if that were possible, hypothetically.

It seems to me if you remove the 73k deaths due to the care home situation and those deaths of persons with underlying health conditions (94% ?) maybe the US death toll would be a bit closer to the normal death rate.

It may also work for the UK high deaths too.

JMO.

What? So all of a sudden we shouldn’t worry too much about our seniors and those with diabetes, heart issues, etc., which but if not Covid, they would be managing and living their life. I’m not sure if this is what you meant but that’s how it came across.

I am confused as to what mild symptoms really mean? Is it they don't need medical attention? I am thinking it is that. So everyone regardless of severity if no medical help needed would be put into mild case? And no symptoms but positive is mild? Do they get symptoms at a later day? I am not clear because I haven't read or heard any asymptomatic case that was followed through to the person being tested negative and what they experienced. Everything I understand is that most people that have articles written about their experience, they share it is miserable. Never hear the experience of a person that has very mild to no symptoms?

I posted a video a while ago ... four younger people with covid. They all had varying degrees of covid. The younger one had a 'mild' case. She sailed through covid. The next youngest one had a 'mild' case, felt very ill but no hospitalisation required. They all have after effects.

If you want to watch it (and if you can view it from another country) here is the link to my previous post.

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

What? So all of a sudden we shouldn’t worry too much about our seniors and those with diabetes, heart issues, etc., which but if not Covid, they would be managing and living their life. I’m not sure if this is what you meant but that’s how it came across.
Yes, and the trouble with that is, that if you remove those cases from the US and UK results, you have to do it for other countries and the comparatives would be no different.

A big holiday for the USA is coming this next Monday. Labor Day.
I don't know about people outside my area, but people around me are so sick of Covid-19, lockdown that they're more then ready to go nuts.
There will be a large boat parade for our President in the San Diego Bay.
I will be there, as my boat is docked there.
I am not going to endanger myself. But, will have a first class, upfront seat (surrounded by water) to view the goings on and hear the musicians expected.
Honestly, it's been such a terrible year, that I am looking forward to enthusiasm.
Outside in the sun, on the water is my happy place. I will report.

US coronavirus cases near 6 million as Birx says don't wait for vaccine to 'do the right thing'

As the United States nears 6 million Covid-19 cases, the coordinator of the White House coronavirus response urged Americans not to wait for a vaccine to stop community spread of the virus.

"Do the right thing today," Dr. Deborah Birx said. "Because if we do the right thing today, we go into the fall with much fewer cases."

"Right now, we gain freedom through wearing our masks and socially distancing," Birx said.

She urged vigilance, noting that crowds gathered at concert venues can spread the virus, but so too can people gathered in a backyard.

"We know we can't always be perfect. We know that we'll put this message out about private gatherings and something will happen and you'll realize you have been in a situation, you've been around people, you didn't have your mask on," Birx said. "That is the time to make sure you're protecting others in your household and around you by wearing a mask when you're around them, even if they're family."

I'm not directing this post to anyone in particular, but just in general to everyone involved in this discussion tonight. I have been wondering lately what number of deaths from COVID were to be expected (to date) in the U.S., even if we had done everything "right," as if that were possible, hypothetically.

Personally, I would have hoped that the US death rate could be about 1/3 of what it is now. More in the range of Canada's death rate.

With better overall leadership, better compliance, and far less travel (and spread).

A big holiday for the USA is coming this next Monday. Labor Day.
I don't know about people outside my area, but people around me are so sick of Covid-19, lockdown that they're more then ready to go nuts.
There will be a large boat parade for our President in the San Diego Bay.
I will be there, as my boat is docked there.
I am not going to endanger myself. But, will have a first class, upfront seat (surrounded by water) to view the goings on and hear the musicians expected.
Honestly, it's been such a terrible year, that I am looking forward to enthusiasm.
Outside in the sun, on the water is my happy place. I will report.

Enjoy your boating day. It is the safest way to get out and enjoy the sun and the music. imo

October 1st is Mid-Autumn Festival in China, and it is the second largest holiday after Chinese New Year. Mid-Autumn Festival is like our Thanksgiving in the U.S. Everyone travels to their home town to be with family. People have at least a week off work. I wonder how they will handle it this year.

October 12th is Thanksgiving holiday in Canada. I wonder if people in Canada will be travelling for that holiday this year. I know when I lived in Canada over 30 years ago, when I was a college student, we traveled to be with family for Thanksgiving. Similar to Thanksgiving in the U.S.

Doesn't make for a good headline, or lots of clicks. The vast majority are in the "mild to no" category, which is why so many people are done dealing with this, in my opinion.
That is why there are no headlining reports on 'Millions drove today and were not killed in car accidents'.
It is not clickbait. It is reporting the relevant news.

In this country, many of the casual care home workers are agency staff. So they get sent wherever the agency requires them to work ... to cover shifts where regular staff are off ill or on holiday, to cover night and weekend shifts where no-one else will work, etc.
So they get sent to a variety of places.

My DD did agency work for a while, when she was first getting her footing in the nursing world here in Adelaide. She worked at many different places. Mostly care homes and dementia wards. The less 'popular' places to work.

They have to be flexible enough to get a call from the agency, and get dressed in their uniform and go to work wherever they are needed.

Agencies might have to streamline their workers/schedules now, to stop this practise of being sent to multiple places.
From what I know, I think the agency thingo only happens in the chains of care homes. The one local to me, which is an independent non profit, has permanent staff who operate on a two weekly roster. They are given a choice of what hours they want to work, but they work in all areas of the facility. I personally know four AINs and two RNs.
Some people do not mind night work. I worked night duty for seven years when my kids were small but at school.

I have friends, 16 families in an out break. All but 3 were asymptomatic or mild cases. 2 elderly and 1 in his 40s were hospitalized but have recovered. Most ages were 40s, 50s and 60s. Those with mild cases have told me it wasn't as bad as a cold or flu. Except for the 3 hospitalized, all symptoms were gone in less than 10 days. 10 families have fully recovered and 6 families are still mildly ill. Except for those hospitalized most didn't need any medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member