Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
S. Korea and Vietnam come to mind. In the Western world, Greece comes to mind.

None of them is spiraling, and none of those 3 nations has come anywhere close to what's happened in the UK or US. It would take some kind of huge climate event to change the ratios, IMO.

There's no way around it. BTW, if you look around the internet, there are charts that also give length of time that CoVid has been present in a nation. Peru and Brazil started late, but managed to have tons of CoVId, but S. Korea and Vietnam started having CoVid at the same time as Belgium or UK or US (perhaps even a bit earlier) but with much better stats in terms of deaths.

COVID-19 deaths per capita by country | Statista

Peru is, of course, still out of control. India doesn't even make the top 10, in terms of per capita. It does make the charts in terms of total cases, of course - and will almost certainly "win" that contest - as it is the largest nation in the world that isn't China.
Firstly we don't know their excess death figures so we don't know whether they have reported all their Covid deaths correctly or how they actually count them e.g. 60 days or 28 days still counts as a Covid death. Are they counting all deaths or just hospital deaths or just those tested positive? Have they had elderly care home deaths or very high deaths in the over 70 age group as the US and UK have? There is a lot we don't know about some country's statistics.

Okay, so do you want me to go through all 195 nations and rank them? Fortunately, that was already done in the link I just posted.

I was asked "Who did better" (than UK/US) and I answered. I can keep answering. There are 185 nations on that list.

India is on the list - way way below UK/US/France/Italy/Belgium/Spain/Peru etc.

Norway, Poland, Egypt, Croatia, United Arab Emirates, Lithuania, Paraguay, Afghanistan, Philippines (only 33 deaths per million), Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Ethiopia, Nepal, Cuba, Japan, Kenya, Syria, Chad, New Zealand, Ivory Coast...Thailand, Rwanda, Tanzania.

It would be a lot easier if you had asked it differently. Who is in the top 10? Why...UK and US are in the top ten (at #3 and #9 respectively) in terms of deaths by CoVid per capita. With 195 nations, that means 196 did better than the US - and the ones I've listed aren't anywhere near the top 10.

All nations (except for 8) have done better than the US (and the chart hasn't moved much for 2 months).

Here's the link again (there are a few nations missing):

COVID-19 deaths per capita by country | Statista

All you have to do is scroll through it.

The idea is that maybe we can learn something from some (one or more) of those nations.

I was chatting with a US friend last night, telling him that Victoria seems to be turned around and is doing really well (he is interested, having lived here, and having just visited with me for 5 months earlier this year).

He said "Yes, we are doing really well also. Don't listen to the US media".
My simple reply was "I don't". Whatever keeps him somewhat happy. He is struggling with all of the constant bad news.

I was chatting with a US friend last night, telling him that Victoria seems to be turned around and is doing really well (he is interested, having lived here, and having just visited with me for 5 months earlier this year).

He said "Yes, we are doing really well also. Don't listen to the US media".
My simple reply was "I don't". Whatever keeps him somewhat happy. He is struggling with all of the constant bad news.

Is maybe his state improving?

Which countries have managed it better? It hasn't finished yet and the cases are still increasing. India looked like they were really dealing with it well initially, but now their cases and deaths are spiralling.

Very true - it may be a while before everything is taken into consideration and a final tally reached. I still wouldn't be shocked if places like U.S., U.K., Brazil and Sweden end up looking better than, perhaps, they do now.

It seems to me if you remove the 73k deaths due to the care home situation and those deaths of persons with underlying health conditions (94% ?) maybe the US death toll would be a bit closer to the normal death rate.

It may also work for the UK high deaths too.

JMO.

Looks like the airlines are making changes to drum up business for domestic flights and short international flights (e.g. U.S. to Canada). It could really help out those who have no choice but to book flights for essential or emergency reasons.

American Airlines joins Delta, United and waives change fees

Your post reminds me why US and UK possibly have high incidence of the virus more so than Vietnam or South Korea - international airport hubs and travellers. Just look at the Tui Cardiff flight highlighted today. Already 15 positives from 193 passengers and crew.

It seems to me if you remove the 73k deaths due to the care home situation and those deaths of persons with underlying health conditions (94% ?) maybe the US death toll would be a bit closer to the normal death rate.

It may also work for the UK high deaths too.

JMO.

I don't understand. Don't count the care home deaths and don't count the deaths of people with underlying health conditions? Those deaths shouldn't count?

Is maybe his state improving?

His specific area has had about 11,200 cases, 850 deaths .... his state has had much, much more.
And they are having a bit of an uptick at the moment, and schools are re-opening after Labor Day.

I didn't mention the uptick, he evidently needs to believe that things are getting better.

I don't understand. Don't count the care home deaths and don't count the deaths of people with underlying health conditions? Those deaths shouldn't count?

If my country didn't count care home deaths and deaths with underlying conditions, we likely wouldn't have been affected by covid at all.
Other than our flu rates dramatically dropping due to social distancing and increased flu shots.

I was just texting my sister and she has been mentioning the symptoms of chills, aches, headache, can't talk, feeling flushed but no sore throat been taking tylenol, no fever and getting more tired as the day goes by. There has been Covid19 illness in a couple of co workers, one Cared for Resident and found out another resident tested positive she worked with last Thursday. I am not aware of anything else going around? She felt like allergies then flu and it changes through out the day. Getting a test tomorrow. Her last test she was negative last week but had no symptoms. Quite a tricky illness, I will keep an update on here. Hope she can pop around soon as she is normally a healthy person.

If my country didn't count care home deaths and deaths with underlying conditions, we likely wouldn't have been affected by covid at all.
Other than our flu rates dramatically dropping due to social distancing and increased flu shots.

Yes, the U.S. would look like we'd done a pretty good job if we didn't count most of the people who died. I can't be understanding this point. I'm very confused.

I was just texting my sister and she has been mentioning the symptoms of chills, aches, headache, can't talk, feeling flushed but no sore throat been taking tylenol, no fever and getting more tired as the day goes by. There has been Covid19 illness in a couple of co workers, one Cared for Resident and found out another resident tested positive she worked with last Thursday. I am not aware of anything else going around? She felt like allergies then flu and it changes through out the day. Getting a test tomorrow. Her last test she was negative last week but had no symptoms. Quite a tricky illness, I will keep an update on here. Hope she can pop around soon as she is normally a healthy person.

Well wishes going out to her!

Of course they count but the care home deaths came about from the policy of the governors in each state. The deaths of those patients with heart disease, diabetes, heart conditions, alzheimers etc were with Covid but not necessarily from Covid. I am emphasising these as additional reasons US deaths are high as opposed to deaths from e.g. S. Korea or Vietnam perhaps. I am not saying we should not count them but do those other countries count them? This is my opinion.

Yes, the U.S. would look like we'd done a pretty good job if we didn't count most of the people who died. I can't be understanding this point. I'm very confused.

Here's what I told a friend an hour or so ago. This virus is killing the medically fragile. Hopefully, other countries that came later caught on to this. ***JMO***

So did Vietnam and South Korea have such deaths and, if so did they count them I wonder?

Here's what I told a friend an hour or so ago. This virus is killing the medically fragile. Hopefully, other countries that came later caught on to this. ***JMO***

I definitely think that care home situations vary from localised area to localised area, state to state, rather than necessarily from country to country.

Melbourne has an appalling care home death rate, yet NSW and Qld who have plenty enough active cases have managed to mostly protect their care home residents. Their staffing would have been similar, as it is common here for casual care home aids to work at multiple places.

As well, many retirees move from places like Melbourne up to Qld or other warmer places when they retire.

Of course they count but the care home deaths came about from the policy of the governors in each state. The deaths of those patients with heart disease, diabetes, heart conditions, alzheimers etc were with Covid but not necessarily from Covid. I am emphasising these as additional reasons US deaths are high as opposed to deaths from e.g. S. Korea or Vietnam perhaps. I am not saying we should not count them but do those other countries count them? This is my opinion.
Ah I see. You're wanting to compare. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appleatcha