Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations, he must feel fantastic. In March when the pandemic hit, I decided that I was high risk for COVID due to my weight, and so I started on a weight loss plan to lose 2 1/2 pounds a week, and so far have lost 50 pounds. I have ten pounds to go and then the challenge of maintenance. I gave up most sugar and carbs, and eat something every three hours and try not to let myself miss these small healthy snacks/meals, otherwise I would get too hungry and it would be difficult to follow the plan. I used to work long days and nights at the office and be starved when I left work and eat too much. Now that I am working remotely, I am more in control of my daily schedule and so this was a good time to do it. My motivation was mostly that I was at high risk from COVID due to weight, and I wanted to increase my chances of survival of I got COVID. I am also hoping to eventually be able to get off hypertension medication.

Yay for you! Good job!

Couple of interesting (to us) graphs here. I like graphs - they provide a really clear snapshot.

Australian Covid Fatalaties.
Red = 90+ years old. Black = 80-89. Blue = 70-79. Grey = 60-69. Navy = 50-59. Other ages in that small sliver at the top.

xx3.JPG

Australian Sources of Infection.
Royal blue = locally acquired, contact not known. Blue = locally acquired, contact known. Red = overseas acquired. Black (small sliver at top) = under investigation.
Keeping in mind that we have had closed borders since March. So the overseas acquired would primarily be (quarantined) repatriated people. I suspect that much of this data is Victoria-driven, otherwise the graph might be primarily Red.

xx2.JPG
Queensland school caught up in new COVID-19 scare

Last edited:
Congratulations, he must feel fantastic. In March when the pandemic hit, I decided that I was high risk for COVID due to my weight, and so I started on a weight loss plan to lose 2 1/2 pounds a week, and so far have lost 50 pounds. I have ten pounds to go and then the challenge of maintenance. I gave up most sugar and carbs, and eat something every three hours and try not to let myself miss these small healthy snacks/meals, otherwise I would get too hungry and it would be difficult to follow the plan. I used to work long days and nights at the office and be starved when I left work and eat too much. Now that I am working remotely, I am more in control of my daily schedule and so this was a good time to do it. My motivation was mostly that I was at high risk from COVID due to weight, and I wanted to increase my chances of survival of I got COVID. I am also hoping to eventually be able to get off hypertension medication.

Congratulations to you--- what you are doing is awesome--takes lots of discipline
and courage!!!!

This article has an interesting graph to watch - for those who are interested - it is the changing landscape of the top ten US states (for covid infections) from March 1st to 30th August (source: John Hopkins University).

US coronavirus caseload tops 6 million: Live news

That animated graph is pretty cool. They did one that for baseball's home run leaders and it's interesting to see the speed of change.

I have to tell you - that is just depressing. Should I start my serious weight loss regime now or once I've finished this beautiful bag of peanut M&M's I'm munching on while working?

Finish the M&M's first before worrying or starting a diet. :)

Finding that list of countries and seeing UK 50th has done me the world of good.

I believe my doctor's office puts a disposable sleeve on the thermometer before putting it in my mouth. But I haven't been in the office since before Covid so they may have switched to no touch thermometers.

yes every one I've seen over the past several years has the plastic sleeve

WTG!
I'm at risk due to weight (& other things) and I had started walking daily but fell off that wagon
do you exercise at all or is the weight loss mostly due to diet?

I cannot agree with that. Other countries have managed it a lot better with the same knowledge.
Which countries have managed it better? It hasn't finished yet and the cases are still increasing. India looked like they were really dealing with it well initially, but now their cases and deaths are spiralling.

Which countries have managed it better? It hasn't finished yet and the cases are still increasing. India looked like they were really dealing with it well initially, but now their cases and deaths are spiralling.

S. Korea and Vietnam come to mind. In the Western world, Greece comes to mind.

None of them is spiraling, and none of those 3 nations has come anywhere close to what's happened in the UK or US. It would take some kind of huge climate event to change the ratios, IMO.

There's no way around it. BTW, if you look around the internet, there are charts that also give length of time that CoVid has been present in a nation. Peru and Brazil started late, but managed to have tons of CoVId, but S. Korea and Vietnam started having CoVid at the same time as Belgium or UK or US (perhaps even a bit earlier) but with much better stats in terms of deaths.

COVID-19 deaths per capita by country | Statista

Peru is, of course, still out of control. India doesn't even make the top 10, in terms of per capita. It does make the charts in terms of total cases, of course - and will almost certainly "win" that contest - as it is the largest nation in the world that isn't China.

Start now----and send the rest of those peanut M&Ms to me. Include any other extra chocolate you might have on hand that would impede your weight loss. I'm here to help.
Seriously not enough left to send.
I have been better to myself than usual, more conscientious of what I put in my mouth than in past
I’ve lost about 10 pounds since March but have gone down an entire size due to working my stress out with yard and gardening
My fear is this fall and winter when the days are shorter and there’s little to no gardening/yard work to be done
In all fairness, I went to get my flu and 1st shingles vaccine yesterday. Had not been inside any store or business for weeks so on way out those M&M’s literally jumped off the shelf into my hands.
What was I to do?

S. Korea and Vietnam come to mind. In the Western world, Greece comes to mind.

None of them is spiraling, and none of those 3 nations has come anywhere close to what's happened in the UK or US. It would take some kind of huge climate event to change the ratios, IMO.

There's no way around it. BTW, if you look around the internet, there are charts that also give length of time that CoVid has been present in a nation. Peru and Brazil started late, but managed to have tons of CoVId, but S. Korea and Vietnam started having CoVid at the same time as Belgium or UK or US (perhaps even a bit earlier) but with much better stats in terms of deaths.

Peru is, of course, still out of control. India doesn't even make the top 10, in terms of per capita. It does make the charts in terms of total cases, of course - and will almost certainly "win" that contest - as it is the largest nation in the world that isn't China.

3 out of how many seems to be the exception to me, not the rule. Jmo

WTG!
I'm at risk due to weight (& other things) and I had started walking daily but fell off that wagon
do you exercise at all or is the weight loss mostly due to diet?

I haven't been exercising, just diet. When I reach my goal in two months, I will have to start exercising. As I add various foods to my diet, I will need to exercise, walking will be my exercise of choice. I am looking for an effective, but inexpensive, steps counter, so both DH and I can make sure we walk 10,000 steps a day, I think that is what is recommended. But we will have to do some power walking (well, our version of power walking) several times a week. I've been enjoying cooking since working remotely, but most of what I cook I can't eat right now, so my DH has put on weight. I need to start walking with him before winter gets here so that we have established a routine.

Seriously not enough left to send.
I have been better to myself than usual, more conscientious of what I put in my mouth than in past
I’ve lost about 10 pounds since March but have gone down an entire size due to working my stress out with yard and gardening
My fear is this fall and winter when the days are shorter and there’s little to no gardening/yard work to be done
In all fairness, I went to get my flu and 1st shingles vaccine yesterday. Had not been inside any store or business for weeks so on way out those M&M’s literally jumped off the shelf into my hands.
What was I to do?

They practically followed you home. M&Ms are not to be trifled with. ;)

3 out of how many seems to be the exception to me, not the rule. Jmo

<modsnip>

India is on the list - way way below UK/US/France/Italy/Belgium/Spain/Peru etc.

Norway, Poland, Egypt, Croatia, United Arab Emirates, Lithuania, Paraguay, Afghanistan, Philippines (only 33 deaths per million), Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Ethiopia, Nepal, Cuba, Japan, Kenya, Syria, Chad, New Zealand, Ivory Coast...Thailand, Rwanda, Tanzania.

<modsnip> UK and US are in the top ten (at #3 and #9 respectively) in terms of deaths by CoVid per capita. With 195 nations, that means 196 did better than the US - and the ones I've listed aren't anywhere near the top 10.

All nations (except for 8) have done better than the US (and the chart hasn't moved much for 2 months).

Here's the link again (there are a few nations missing):

<modsnip>

The idea is that maybe we can learn something from some (one or more) of those nations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member