Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a significant list. I wonder if the days of shopping in person are coming to an end, or if these stores are just cutting their losses, paying out their leases and waiting it out until they can come back. I have a sad hunch that personal shopping will phase out in the next few years. It's just too expensive to be able to compete with online shopping.

Yeah, I'm really sad to see this. Local markets will likely see some benefit as some people reject cheap imports and mass produced articles.
imo

that's what I was thinking ... maybe the mom & pop's have a chance to come back

I disagree. Why one rule for the minions and another for the elite? Plus all the fuss made about masks and POTUS that has been going on for months. Focusing on masks has been a pretty big priority in the UK anyway and from what I have seen it is in the US and Australia too. It is the one thing that is posted about every day on this thread. An example is the story about the Uber driver today.

Yes, why?

EU Commissioner Phil Hogan, who resigned from his post Wednesday for breaking Ireland's coronavirus restrictions by attending a political golf society event with 80 other people ...

Ireland's Minister for Agriculture Dara Calleary had already resigned over the so-called Golfgate scandal. The dinner was held a day after the government in which he served, facing a surge in cases, imposed restrictions ...

In perhaps the most striking instance, more than 1,000 people gathered on a White House lawn, few wearing masks and sitting close together, to hear President Donald Trump accept his party's nomination Thursday night.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson's chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, has come to exemplify a double standard in the public mind ... Cummings refused to apologize for driving the length of England with his wife and child during lockdown, while his wife was sick with suspected coronavirus, and subsequently driving to a beauty spot.

New Zealand's health minister, David Clark, was forced to resign last month after missteps including breaking the country's stay-at-home order to take his family to the beach.

Scotland's chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, resigned in April and was given a formal police warning after twice breaking lockdown restrictions to visit her second home.

Professor Neil Ferguson, a leading epidemiologist who advised the UK government on its coronavirus response resigned from his government post in May after he broke lockdown rules by allowing his reported lover to visit his home.

Elites are flouting coronavirus restrictions -- and that could hurt us all - CNN

Massachusetts
More at link
Northeastern University dismisses 11 first-year students following gathering at Westin Hotel

Eleven first-year students have been dismissed by Northeastern University after there were found gathered together in a room at the Westin Hotel in Boston, violating Northeastern and public health protocols amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to the university.

The students were told to leave the Westin. Additionally, the students must have a coronavirus test taken at Northeastern, the university announced.

Though the students have been dismissed for the fall, they will be able to contest their dismissal at an expedited hearing, according to the university.

Last month, Northeastern officials said that any students who host or attend large parties during the pandemic will face expulsion from the school.

(their parents must be thrilled )
Tuition refund?

Tuition refund?

It depends. At our university, if a student violates the Student Code of Conduct in a serious way, and they are disenrolled from the university, following hearings and due process, then there is no refund. I'm surprised they didn't just suspend them for the semester and give them an opportunity to leave campus and come back in the January term with conditions of their return to follow the policies and rules put in place due to COVID 19.

The World Health Organization does not expect widespread vaccinations against COVID-19 until the middle of next year, a spokeswoman said on Friday, stressing the importance of rigorous checks on their effectiveness and safety.

None of the candidate vaccines in advanced clinical trials so far has demonstrated a “clear signal” of efficacy at the level of at least 50 per cent sought by the WHO, spokeswoman Margaret Harris said.

Read more: White House pushes back on WHO criticism that U.S. coronavirus vaccine moving too quickly

Russia granted regulatory approval to a COVID-19 vaccine in August after less than two months of human testing, prompting some Western experts to question its safety and efficacy.

Widespread coronavirus vaccine not expected until mid-2021: WHO

Okay- i am going to go shallow for a minute here--- thinking of all the things we can no longer enjoy- one of those things is shopping- I love clothes-- i love looking at them, touching them, trying them on and buying them. My favorite store is going out of business: Stein Mart-- i have a closet full of unique lovely items from that store-- and of course since the pandemic i haven't stepped foot in their stores. Neither have thousands of other people, which is why they are closing all 279 stores: i didn't know they had that many stores: I can't think how any retail clothing store can stay in business: i won't step foot in any clothing stores. I mean who wants to touch those clothes and try them on now? I ordered a leather jacket on line. I don't like doing that but it is the new way of life. I will really miss that store, especially the one in Fort Myers- they have a boutique section (if i was much younger i would spent all my money there)-- Unique clothing at discounted prices. It is just sad-- and of course think of all the other business, large and small that have gone out of business. You wonder when we will be able to shop again, eat in a restaurant again ----
I hate shopping for clothes. But I do need pants for work (got a promotion- need to step the wardrobe up a bit). I saw an ad for a sale at a local small shop. I decided to whip in real quick. I literally power walked to the cash register, asked where I could find those pants (had a screen shot to show her), grabbed the pants, tried them on, bought them, and was out in 5 minutes. I was the only customer. Now that I know that Ruby Road pull-ons of a specific size fit perfectly, I've ordered 3 more pairs, 2 crop and 2 pants, in similar styles online. So far, so good. Ordered another brand that needs slight alterations, so I'm fixing to learn how to do blind hems.

I'm watching that local store on Facebook, though, and if something else interests me, I can do curbside pick-up or buy it online. My mom continues to support her local fabric store by watching their Facebook page and either making an appointment to shop or doing curbside pick-up. I still only do curbside for such things, although I foresee a time in the near future that I will need to go inside and actually touch the fabric since I know what I'm looking for but don't know what it's called.

I've relaxed enough to get drive-thru coffee. But I alcohol wipe the cup. Have not done food yet or gone anywhere else except for groceries or medication - outside of work and medical appointments, of course.

ETA - I intend to start making some of my own clothes this winter.

I hate shopping for clothes. But I do need pants for work (got a promotion- need to step the wardrobe up a bit). I saw an ad for a sale at a local small shop. I decided to whip in real quick. I literally power walked to the cash register, asked where I could find those pants (had a screen shot to show her), grabbed the pants, tried them on, bought them, and was out in 5 minutes. I was the only customer. Now that I know that Ruby Road pull-ons of a specific size fit perfectly, I've ordered 3 more pairs, 2 crop and 2 pants, in similar styles online. So far, so good. Ordered another brand that needs slight alterations, so I'm fixing to learn how to do blind hems.

I'm watching that local store on Facebook, though, and if something else interests me, I can do curbside pick-up or buy it online. My mom continues to support her local fabric store by watching their Facebook page and either making an appointment to shop or doing curbside pick-up. I still only do curbside for such things, although I foresee a time in the near future that I will need to go inside and actually touch the fabric since I know what I'm looking for but don't know what it's called.

I've relaxed enough to get drive-thru coffee. But I alcohol wipe the cup. Have not done food yet or gone anywhere else except for groceries or medication - outside of work and medical appointments, of course.

ETA - I intend to start making some of my own clothes this winter.

Congratulations on the promotion! No doubt, well deserved. I wear "Investments" clothing line to work. Love them.

Further down in your linked article, it says that AstraZeneca are also going to test the Oxford vaccine in Russia.

The Lancet says:
Results from two early-phase Russian non-randomised vaccine trials (Sputnik V) in a total of 76 people are published today in The Lancet, finding that two formulations (frozen and freeze-dried) of a two-part vaccine have a good safety profile with no serious adverse events detected over 42 days.

The phase 1 trials looked at safety in a total of 36 patients, and the phase 2 trials, totalling 40 people, found that the vaccines induced antibody responses in all participants within 21 days.

Secondary outcomes from the trial also suggest the vaccines also produce a T cell response within 28 days.

Large, long-term trials including a placebo comparison, and further monitoring are needed to establish the long-term safety and effectiveness of the vaccine for preventing COVID-19 infection.
https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus

Here are the two recent Lancet recaps of studies, including the Russian vaccine ...
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31866-3/fulltext

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31867-5/fulltext

Last edited:
A faculty member posted an article in a national higher education daily news letter that goes out to all higher ed folks every day, and she called for kindness toward one another at this difficult time. She made reference to a song by Glen Campbell called "Try a Little Kindness." I looked it up and found this you tube video of him singing this tune, with words someone added to the video, and he is performing in Sioux Falls with the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra, some years back. After reading your post, I decided to post it here.

At risk of getting deleted for being OT...My God, I remember this song from my childhood and had completely forgotten about it. I've been on a Glenn Campbell kick anyway, but I do not own this song.

Need to do a mini rant, then I will go back and read. Thanks for listening!
My husband called a limo/taxi service for his mother who turns 90 tomorrow to get a driver to take her to the airport. She can’t remember how to use her iPhone to get an Uber. First company he called, when asked about their mask policy the owner said: “No way, we don’t believe in masks. We are with the President and believe it’s being exaggerated for political gain.” Of course my husband said “no thanks buddy”

How stupid! This driver would have made good money driving about 30 miles (Daytona Florida area). What would it hurt him to wear a mask when driving an elderly woman? Not to mention the tip he would have received helping her with luggage and what not. Grrrrrr I thought the media was blowing up the mask controversy. Guess not. :mad:
My friend drives for a ride share company and is super stressed because he's not allowed to enforce a mask rule.

SALINAS, Calif. - A school district in California has provided a hot spot to the family of two students, whose picture of them sitting outside a Taco Bell doing their homework went viral.

According to CNN, the girls were using the restaurant's free WiFi to do their homework.

The picture was tweeted out by Monterey County Supervisor Luis Alejo, who captioned the photo by saying, "We must do better & solve this digital divide once & for all for all California students."

EgU78k9VAAErf38

Richard Gebin, public relations officer for the Salinas City Elementary School District, said in a statement to E.W. Scripps, that once the district was notified of the social media post, they got into contact with the student's family to provide them with a hotspot.

A spokesperson for Taco Bell Corp. said in a statement to E.W. Scripps that the "photo of two young girls outside of a Salinas, CA Taco Bell is a tough reminder of basic inequalities facing our communities."

Calif. school district provides hotspot to students seen outside Taco Bell doing homework

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member