Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one across the river from me. You're making me regret never checking them out. Jmo

It may sound silly but I feel so sad that this amazing store is going out of business. Their clothes are beautiful and some are very unique and their prices are great as well. It is just a symbol of what the pandemic is doing to our country--- so many businesses gone.

Great article, and includes various vaccines in development that I was not aware of so will cut and file this one!

I had to smile with one paragraph....This monstrous race for the prize is such an elephant in the room... and that elephant looks sooo different from your perspective of said elephant.

On August 22, the Chief Medical Officer warned the UK it is unlikely there will be a vaccine before the winter of 2021.

But Alok Sharma, the Business Secretary, has said that the clinical trial at the University of Oxford is progressing well and he said he was “very proud” of how quickly British scientists and researchers had come together in their efforts to develop a vaccine

Cannot help but ask...

Do you think a vaccine will really be available by Oct 1?
Do you think a vaccine will be available by the end of 2020?
If available, will you get the vaccine?

No.
Possibly, but not at large scale.
No.

ha ha ha...no links required!

I have a friend from Pittsburgh (Salk's stompin grounds), who got early polio vaccines in the 50s, still got polio, and still suffers today.
And then there is the Thalidomine story... oy vey.

I will gladly live with my slightly less active social life to wait and watch.

Great article, and includes various vaccines in development that I was not aware of so will cut and file this one!

I had to smile with one paragraph....This monstrous race for the prize is such an elephant in the room... and that elephant looks sooo different from your perspective of said elephant.

On August 22, the Chief Medical Officer warned the UK it is unlikely there will be a vaccine before the winter of 2021.

But Alok Sharma, the Business Secretary, has said that the clinical trial at the University of Oxford is progressing well and he said he was “very proud” of how quickly British scientists and researchers had come together in their efforts to develop a vaccine
That was the 22nd the CMO said that. A week is a long time in politics and the government link I posted with the consultation document discussing an unlicensed vaccine is only 6 days old so supersedes his comments now. The Ebola vaccine was unlicensed for 18 months when it was first used in Africa. Needs must. Warp speed and God Speed remember :)

No.
No.

I have a friend from Pittsburgh (Salk's stompin grounds), who got early polio vaccines in the 50s, still got polio, and still suffers today.

I got the Salk vaccine in the 50s with no ill effect. Maybe your friend was incubating it when he got it.

There are many upsetting things going on in which can make people "act ugly". We all have different views and struggles. We must remember that most people want to be heard, want to feel safe and loved. As an individual I can act in a loving kind way towards others. My example of the positive can be shown in small or perhaps big ways. I really am not going to put myself into an "ugly American" because of a few people's not so healthy choices. I am betting there are more Americans that feel just the way I do. We focus too much on the negatives but there really is much more good we can bring out if we worked on showing that! My opinion

A faculty member posted an article in a national higher education daily news letter that goes out to all higher ed folks every day, and she called for kindness toward one another at this difficult time. She made reference to a song by Glen Campbell called "Try a Little Kindness." I looked it up and found this you tube video of him singing this tune, with words someone added to the video, and he is performing in Sioux Falls with the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra, some years back. After reading your post, I decided to post it here.

I got the Salk vaccine in the 50s with no ill effect. Maybe your friend was incubating it when he got it.

I am not sure; I will have to ask her again what the original issues were. I too, had the Salk vaccine with no problems whatsoever.... but there were some problems. And this really is why I will watch and wait.

In April 1955, soon after mass polio vaccination began in the US, the Surgeon General began to receive reports of patients who contracted paralytic polio about a week after being vaccinated with Salk polio vaccine from Cutter pharmaceutical company, with the paralysis limited to the limb the vaccine was injected into. In response the Surgeon General pulled all polio vaccine made by Cutter Laboratories from the market, but not before 250 cases of paralytic illness had occurred. Wyeth polio vaccine was also reported to have paralyzed and killed several children. Polio vaccine - Wikipedia

Another holiday weekend, another coronavirus surge? Keep an eye on tourist hot spots — NPR

“Hopefully, summer won't end the way it began. Memorial Day celebrations helped set off a wave of coronavirus infections across much of the South and West. Gatherings around the Fourth of July seemed to keep those hot spots aflame.

And now Labor Day arrives as those regions are cooling off from COVID-19, and public health experts are calling on Americans to stay vigilant while celebrating the holiday weekend.”

I am going nowhere near our beaches for this long weekend! All the out-of-state licence plates just make me anxious while driving, let alone the beaches and restaurants! I am way North, so half of Georgia comes here many weekends.

who knows what is going to happen in Miami?? They say they are going to seriously give out fines etc.... we shall see.

‘This is Not Over Yet': Miami-Dade Mayor Says Authorities Will Crack Down on COVID Rules for Labor Day Weekend

We have a separate residence hall for students to go into isolate if they test positive for COVID or if they were exposed to COVID. They do have the option to go home, but we suggest they stay on campus in one of our isolation situations. But often the parents want them to go home, or the students, and to be under the care of their personal medical provider. Dr. Fauci is recommending that infected and/or exposed students stay on campus. But we can't mandate this, just try to provide the best care we can to these students who are self-isolating or quarantined. We have food delivery, volunteers (faculty, staff, alumni) who do wellness check calls, and provide laptops to keep up with their classes while in isolation/quarantine, and also telehealth counseling with medical providers.
I can see where the parents would need convincing.... but it just seems to make the most sense--knowing that their child is getting care as needed, and not coming home to spread the virus.

Okay- i am going to go shallow for a minute here--- thinking of all the things we can no longer enjoy- one of those things is shopping- I love clothes-- i love looking at them, touching them, trying them on and buying them. My favorite store is going out of business: Stein Mart-- i have a closet full of unique lovely items from that store-- and of course since the pandemic i haven't stepped foot in their stores. Neither have thousands of other people, which is why they are closing all 279 stores: i didn't know they had that many stores: I can't think how any retail clothing store can stay in business: i won't step foot in any clothing stores. I mean who wants to touch those clothes and try them on now? I ordered a leather jacket on line. I don't like doing that but it is the new way of life. I will really miss that store, especially the one in Fort Myers- they have a boutique section (if i was much younger i would spent all my money there)-- Unique clothing at discounted prices. It is just sad-- and of course think of all the other business, large and small that have gone out of business. You wonder when we will be able to shop again, eat in a restaurant again ----

https://moneywise.com/a/chains-closing-the-most-stores-in-2020

Iowa news today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m. today, we had 1,183 new confirmed cases for a total of 67,982 total confirmed cases of which 48,944 have recovered (+477). 3 more had passed away for a total of 1,137. Sept. 4: 1,183 new COVID-19 cases in Iowa, 3 deaths, 477 recoveries KWWL has been very accurate lately and more detailed with daily counts, so will use their news articles for now.
Iowa COVID-19 Information
With COVID cases still high, UIHC epidemiologist urges caution ahead of Labor Day weekend
ISU Athletic Department Discussing Layoffs, Cutting Sports, Closing Stephens Auditorium to Close Budget Shortfall | who13.com

Need to do a mini rant, then I will go back and read. Thanks for listening!
My husband called a limo/taxi service for his mother who turns 90 tomorrow to get a driver to take her to the airport. She can’t remember how to use her iPhone to get an Uber. First company he called, when asked about their mask policy the owner said: “No way, we don’t believe in masks. We are with the President and believe it’s being exaggerated for political gain.” Of course my husband said “no thanks buddy”

How stupid! This driver would have made good money driving about 30 miles (Daytona Florida area). What would it hurt him to wear a mask when driving an elderly woman? Not to mention the tip he would have received helping her with luggage and what not. Grrrrrr I thought the media was blowing up the mask controversy. Guess not. :mad:

Need to do a mini rant, then I will go back and read. Thanks for listening!
My husband called a limo/taxi service for his mother who turns 90 tomorrow to get a driver to take her to the airport. She can’t remember how to use her iPhone to get an Uber. First company he called, when asked about their mask policy the owner said: “No way, we don’t believe in masks. We are with the President and believe it’s being exaggerated for political gain.” Of course my husband said “no thanks buddy”

How stupid! This driver would have made good money driving about 30 miles (Daytona Florida area). What would it hurt him to wear a mask when driving an elderly woman? Not to mention the tip he would have received helping her with luggage and what not. Grrrrrr I thought the media was blowing up the mask controversy. Guess not. :mad:
Then I bet previous passengers saw his lax attitude and didn’t wear their masks either. I noticed some people seem to follow what others are doing and get in the same mindset. I’d take wipes and wipe everything down because I doubt they are cleaning in between passengers.

No.
No.

This link explains there is a risk of catching polio from the oral vaccine.
Polio Vaccine | Vaccine-derived Poliovirus | CDC

This is a bit puzzling that they do not know how these hospital patients caught Covid in hospital in Craigavon NI.

Family want answers about Covid-19 hospital death

"The daughter of a patient at Craigavon Area Hospital who died with Covid-19 says the trust has to explain how the virus entered his ward.

John Fleming, 79, from Loughgilly, was admitted to the haematology ward for bone cancer treatment last month.

The father-of-four was one of two haematology patients with Covid-19 to have died in the past 48 hours.

The Southern Health Trust said officials were working to get answers for the families.

The trust said a third patient from the same ward, who had been discharged, had also died but the virus was not the primary cause of death.

Fourteen patients on the ward were confirmed to have the virus in a cluster identified last week.

Health Minister Robin Swann said there must now be a thorough investigation."

Continued at link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members