Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
National Cabinet met today in Australia. All states are going to work toward removing our hard borders before Christmas (except Western Australia, which won't commit to anything right now).

We also intend to work towards allowing New Zealanders into Australia at that time. It is up to Jacinda if this will be a reciprocal agreement.

State and territory leaders — with one notable exception — have agreed to develop a road map out of hard border regimes, with the view to seeing Australia reopened by Christmas.

What's more, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced that as most of Australia moves towards worrying about coronavirus hotspots rather than hard borders, New Zealand could be included in the mix.
But that wouldn't necessarily allow for Australians to fly across the ditch.

The western state, which has one of the strictest and longest-standing hard borders in the country, has declined to sign up for easing its restrictions any time soon.

But the leaders from the rest of the country will work towards having domestic borders open by December, according to an agreement reached at National Cabinet today.
There are no guarantees in that, but Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the plan is to move towards a more refined hotspot model, rather than blanket border closures.

Will I be able to go interstate by Christmas? Here's the plan for borders in seven states and territories

Another holiday weekend, another coronavirus surge? Keep an eye on tourist hot spots — NPR

“Hopefully, summer won't end the way it began. Memorial Day celebrations helped set off a wave of coronavirus infections across much of the South and West. Gatherings around the Fourth of July seemed to keep those hot spots aflame.

And now Labor Day arrives as those regions are cooling off from COVID-19, and public health experts are calling on Americans to stay vigilant while celebrating the holiday weekend.”

The Pelosi salon had stylists renting chairs from the owner, so that's a new one on me that I hadn't heard before. Is that common in US salons does anyone know?
Yes. it is common. Often someone will buy a salon, and then rent out space [chairs] to stylists. They usually pay the owner a percentage of their clients and/or a monthly rent.

It works great for the stylist if it is a busy salon because they can get clients referred or walk in clients that they wouldn't have if they had a small place on their own.

Last edited:
Not sure if this article has been posted way back in the threads ... I would imagine it probably has been.
It is by Tom Frieden, former Director of CDC, and was published in early March.

He speaks of the possibility of a worst case scenario of 1,000,000 covid deaths in the US, and the important strategies to undertake to avoid that. It is interesting to read his overall assessment as he was director of CDC through H1N1, Ebola, and Zika.

Briefly:
- Protect all who are vulnerable.
- Stop all non-essential visits to nursing homes and other long-term care facilities for the near future.
- Accelerate work on effective treatments and vaccines. A vaccine could take one to two years to develop, and its success is far from certain, but we must try.
- Cancel large gatherings, with the exception of geographic regions and populations not experiencing community transmission.
- Protect our health care workers and our health care system.
- Stop handshakes, and opt for a wave or namaste instead; cover your cough, and wash hands often.
- Don’t go out if ill.
- Telework if spread may be occurring in your area.
- Assess school closure. There are costs and benefits for each measure that we take.
- Learn more as fast as we can. We learn more about how this virus spreads and how to stop it every day.

Could Coronavirus Kill a Million Americans? | Think Global Health

Oh come on...of course its political!! We obviously know that there are ALWAYS established protocols within any infrastructure that has to do any roll-out.

It is more the "press release" approach that is the message, not the actual preparation for the roll-out. The possible outcome could be that people only listen to the "bits", and then the wait, wait, wait will cause such confusion.

As stated by the NIH:
The director of the National Institutes of Health, Dr. Francis Collins, said he doesn't read this as CDC preparing to jump the gun on a vaccine. He said it's just in case one of the vaccines now being tested shows fast, clear evidence it is protecting people.

"Now, keep in mind that the likelihood of that is pretty low
," Collins told CNN. "This is like the Boy Scout motto, 'Be Prepared,'" he said.

This is EXACTLY what breeds confusion, and disarray. If States feel compelled to jump on this, while having to determine everything else on their own without National rollouts... there will be freak-outs around the country. All States are so wound up with all the school issues and Oct is NEXT month.

CDC coronavirus vaccine guidance to states advises them to be ready bylate October

I do find your statement interesting however:
"That's my point. If nothing was being done it would be negligent."

Is your statement specific to an announcements about a vaccine roll-out, or CDC/US Gov actions in general?

CDC is required and would be negligence in not notifying States to prepare. We can't wait till a vaccine is approved to start developing distribution plans, obtained needed supplies, personnel and facilities.

Just like FEMA sends messages to states to prepare for hurricanes, snow storms, fires and weather related disasters. CDC must encourage states to prepare. Lets hope they all take immediate action. We will know quickly, which states rise to the top with planning and preparation, just as we know which states are well prepared to mitigate natural disasters.

IMHO, any implied political spin placed on the article by the reporter. Not by the words of NIH or CDC. This is what will create panic and fear for some and they will refuse to take any vaccine, delaying our recovery as a nation.

Last edited:
In NC/SC you have to answer a set of questions or have your primary care physician set up an appointment for a drive up in your car test.
Several members of my family wanted to be tested but they would not test those without a fever and/or cough. So some got tested, others didn’t. :rolleyes:
And you need to be a resident of that state.
Test results 3-5 days.
Virginia is refocusing on asymptomatic testing. correctional facility outbreaks, and state mental health facilities vs open community test sites. It has drastically increased turn around times.

I was tested at 2pm on Wed, they called me at 9:15 the next day with results. The test was free at the community health clinic but all doctors offices and urgent cares are charging for the test.

Not sure if this article has been posted way back in the threads ... I would imagine it probably has been.
It is by Tom Frieden, former Director of CDC, and was published in early March.

He speaks of the possibility of a worst case scenario of 1,000,000 covid deaths in the US, and the important strategies to undertake to avoid that. It is interesting to read his overall assessment as he was director of CDC through H1N1, Ebola, and Zika.

Briefly:
- Protect all who are vulnerable.
- Stop all non-essential visits to nursing homes and other long-term care facilities for the near future.
- Accelerate work on effective treatments and vaccines. A vaccine could take one to two years to develop, and its success is far from certain, but we must try.
- Cancel large gatherings, with the exception of geographic regions and populations not experiencing community transmission.
- Protect our health care workers and our health care system.
- Stop handshakes, and opt for a wave or namaste instead; cover your cough, and wash hands often.
- Don’t go out if ill.
- Telework if spread may be occurring in your area.
- Assess school closure. There are costs and benefits for each measure that we take.
- Learn more as fast as we can. We learn more about how this virus spreads and how to stop it every day.

All of the above were CDC released recommendations, posted on the CDC website.

CDC flu mitigation recommendations are basically the same, and often used by correctional facilities, hospitals, schools and long term care facilities during flu outbreaks.

The Pelosi salon had stylists renting chairs from the owner, so that's a new one on me that I hadn't heard before. Is that common in US salons does anyone know?

Yes, that is very common. My stylist (haven't been to her since February) pays rent on her salon and owns the business, but she rents work stations to other stylists, most who have been with her for many years. During the pandemic in Ohio, she was forced to close down, broke her lease and set up shop at home just for herself as she couldn't afford the rent. This was against state law in Ohio, but most of her clients went to her home anyway, even though many of her clients are in high risk groups as they are over 60, and 70, some in their 80s who have been with her for years.

No bubble for those stylists who work from home, people are taking a chance, IMO.

All of the above were CDC released recommendations, posted on the CDC website.

CDC flu mitigation recommendations are basically the same, and often used by correctional facilities, hospitals, schools and long term care facilities during flu outbreaks.

Yes. I also thought his last comment in the article was a good one for a pandemic. I guess he would know, having gone through three pandemics with the CDC.

"Speed matters—a lot. It’s been said that a week is a long time in politics. With COVID-19, a week is not a long time, it’s an eternity. The sooner we act, the more we can decrease the likelihood of a million deaths in the United States. Clear, consistent communication from credible sources builds public trust and saves lives. When faced with a scenario in which so many Americans could die, there’s no time for politics."

Agree that many stylists by necessity are going off grid. Illegal in my state, and stylists leave themselves open for lawsuits. But, you do what you have to do to survive.

Oh that's a shame. I guess maybe OH&S is the reason for that?

One of my ex SILs (in NYS) had a proper salon set up in her basement, sign post outside with the name of her home salon. So I imagine it was legal. She did a good trade, one person at a time.

It appears, we are waiting on 150 vaccine participants to become infected before the vaccine can be approved.

I'm posting for the reference to Dr, Fauci reference to needing only 150 patient data in the clinicial trial to submit to FDA approval.
snipped

To show that a vaccine is effective, clinical trials need people who have been infected with the coronavirus. Not thousands of people — just 150.

"When you get that many infections, you will know whether the vaccine works or does not work," Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, told NBC News on Thursday.

Vaccine manufacturers have a goal of enrolling at least 30,000 study participants, some of whom would get the vaccine and others of whom would get a placebo. But it takes only 150 of those people to become infected for researchers to learn whether the shot offers some protection.

Trump wants a vaccine by Nov. 1. What it will take for the plan to succeed?

It appears, we are waiting on 150 vaccine participants to become infected before the vaccine can be approved.

I'm posting for the reference to Dr, Fauci reference to needing only 150 patient data in the clinicial trial to submit to FDA approval.
snipped

To show that a vaccine is effective, clinical trials need people who have been infected with the coronavirus. Not thousands of people — just 150.

"When you get that many infections, you will know whether the vaccine works or does not work," Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, told NBC News on Thursday.

Vaccine manufacturers have a goal of enrolling at least 30,000 study participants, some of whom would get the vaccine and others of whom would get a placebo. But it takes only 150 of those people to become infected for researchers to learn whether the shot offers some protection.

Trump wants a vaccine by Nov. 1. What it will take for the plan to succeed?
So once 150 in the placebo group have caught it and none in the vaccine group presumably, right?

Wonder how long that could take? Do we know how many in each group?

Found this link about Phase III. 30,000 across all adult age groups. Half are given a salt water injection. They all receive one dose of either the vaccinevor the placebo on day 1 with a second dose 28 days later on day 29. So 150 out of 15,000 is 1% infection rate and we will have to wait at least until after the end of September after the second dose IMO.

Development of COVID-19 vaccine AZD1222 expands into US Phase III clinical trial across all adult age groups

Last edited:
Yes. I also thought his last comment in the article was a good one for a pandemic. I guess he would know, having gone through three pandemics with the CDC.

"Speed matters—a lot. It’s been said that a week is a long time in politics. With COVID-19, a week is not a long time, it’s an eternity. The sooner we act, the more we can decrease the likelihood of a million deaths in the United States. Clear, consistent communication from credible sources builds public trust and saves lives. When faced with a scenario in which so many Americans could die, there’s no time for politics."

The article dated 3/10 was published after we closed our borders to certain countries, rescued and quarantined all US citizens on cruise ships, established a task force and shortly announced the slow the spread 15 day plan.

He didn't stay or recommend anything we were already doing and more.

The article dated 3/10 was published after we closed our borders to certain countries, rescued and quarantined all US citizens on cruise ships, established a task force and shortly announced the slow the spread 15 day plan.

He didn't stay or recommend anything we were already doing and more.

Probably because the CDC already developed those policies while he was Director for all those years, and through 3 pandemics. imo

I found it interesting. Sorry that you didn't.

Active Studies Recruiting Volunteers at Ohio State

AstraZeneca Study of AZD1222 Begins

This week, Ohio State started the recruitment of 500 volunteers for AZD1222. That is the vaccine developed by AstraZeneca. These 500 volunteers will be part of the 30,000 total volunteers participating in this phase of the trial across the United States.

Ohio State Wexner Medical Center is part of national COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial

AZD1222 is an investigational vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca to prevent COVID-19, the disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

The vaccine is based on a weakened version of a common cold (adenovirus) virus. The adenovirus vaccine has been changed so that it can’t replicate inside your body. It presents part of the COVID-19 spike protein to the body so that an immune response can be made to it. The purpose of the study is to test how well the investigational vaccine works at preventing COVID-19 disease and how safe it is.

Here is a good web page that gives information on what is involved in each trial phase of the development of a vaccine - and other information.

Understanding Coronavirus Clinical Studies | COVID-19 Prevention Network

Here is information on how people can volunteer to participate in this trial, with survey they need to fill out in order to apply.

Volunteer for a Local Clinical Study | COVID-19 Prevention Network

ETA -- BBM to highlight nature of this particular vaccine

Ohioans part of promising COVID-19 vaccine research

PriMed in Dayton is recruiting 250 adults for a phase 3 clinical trial that will involve 30,000 Americans. Volunteers will receive the vaccine in two doses given a month apart, have multiple follow-up visits, blood drawn and keep a diary of their health for two years. But the study may have results before then, said Dr. William Randall, principal investigator for PriMED Clinical Research. He declined to reveal the developer of the vaccine being tested by PriMED.

Researchers at the University of Cincinnati and UC Health plan to enroll 500 patients in a study of the vaccine created by Moderna, a biotechnology company. And Ohio State Wexner Medical Center is recruiting 500 adults for a trial of a vaccine co-developed by the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca, a biopharmaceutical company.

This whole warp speed plan is very encouraging and inspirational to me. It tells me we have the technology and the intelligence to make inroads in lots of other health issues as well. I feel like the next few years are going to be very exciting! Jmo

Okay- i am going to go shallow for a minute here--- thinking of all the things we can no longer enjoy- one of those things is shopping- I love clothes-- i love looking at them, touching them, trying them on and buying them. My favorite store is going out of business: Stein Mart-- i have a closet full of unique lovely items from that store-- and of course since the pandemic i haven't stepped foot in their stores. Neither have thousands of other people, which is why they are closing all 279 stores: i didn't know they had that many stores: I can't think how any retail clothing store can stay in business: i won't step foot in any clothing stores. I mean who wants to touch those clothes and try them on now? I ordered a leather jacket on line. I don't like doing that but it is the new way of life. I will really miss that store, especially the one in Fort Myers- they have a boutique section (if i was much younger i would spent all my money there)-- Unique clothing at discounted prices. It is just sad-- and of course think of all the other business, large and small that have gone out of business. You wonder when we will be able to shop again, eat in a restaurant again ----

Okay- i am going to go shallow for a minute here--- thinking of all the things we can no longer enjoy- one of those things is shopping- I love clothes-- i love looking at them, touching them, trying them on and buying them. My favorite store is going out of business: Stein Mart-- i have a closet full of unique lovely items from that store-- and of course since the pandemic i haven't stepped foot in their stores. Neither have thousands of other people, which is why they are closing all 279 stores: i didn't know they had that many stores: I can't think how any retail clothing store can stay in business: i won't step foot in any clothing stores. I mean who wants to touch those clothes and try them on now? I ordered a leather jacket on line. I don't like doing that but it is the new way of life. I will really miss that store, especially the one in Fort Myers- they have a boutique section (if i was much younger i would spent all my money there)-- Unique clothing at discounted prices. It is just sad-- and of course think of all the other business, large and small that have gone out of business. You wonder when we will be able to shop again, eat in a restaurant again ----

There's one across the river from me. You're making me regret never checking them out. Jmo

Oh that's a shame. I guess maybe OH&S is the reason for that?

One of my ex SILs (in NYS) had a proper salon set up in her basement, sign post outside with the name of her home salon. So I imagine it was legal. She did a good trade, one person at a time.

Pandemic jobs forecast from Gad Levanon, head of The Conference Board's Labor Market Institute.

"I do not expect the economy to add more than three million jobs for the rest of the year. Overall, employment will remain well below pre-pandemic levels for the rest of 2020 and into 2021."

Entertainment, restaurants and personal care are likely to recover once the fear of the pandemic subsides. HOWEVER... These jobs are NOT forecast for a quick return: sales, office and admin, higher education, air travel & hotels, non-residential construction.
Opinion: Jobs in these industries won't come back even after the pandemic is over - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills