Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite entertaining reading that. Citing bars for being bars.

Also, never heard of "hookah" ? I'll have to Google it.

"Two employees and a manager were observed without facial coverings. The officers also found the business illegally selling hookah without a permit."

What to Expect at a Hookah Bar
Hookah Bars, Air Quality, and Your Health
By
Terry Martin
Fact checked by
Sean Blackburn
on July 09, 2020

young-adults-partying-at-hookah-bar-590475494-581fa3d45f9b581c0befcae8.jpg

Barry Lewis/Getty Images

"Hookah bars are commercial establishments where people gather to smoke flavored tobacco from a hookah pipe. Other names for a hookah bar includes hookah lounge, hookah cafe, hookah den, and shisha bar.

Originating in India and spreading to several Middle Eastern countries, traditional hookah lounges are coffee houses that also serve hookah. Out of deference to Muslim traditions, they do not serve alcoholic beverages.

As they have gained popularity in Western cultures over the years, however, many hookah bars in the United States do serve alcohol along with food and a variety of tobacco flavors."

I cannot believe this is allowed but smoking is banned.

I read some more - I like the place where they used tarps to create walls and "security" tried to keep out the inspectors. Or the owner of one place running around handing out masks when he saw the authorities coming. Sounds like New Jersey is allowing indoor dining, so that's causing a fuss in NYC.

I read some more - I like the place where they used tarps to create walls and "security" tried to keep out the inspectors. Or the owner of one place running around handing out masks when he saw the authorities coming. Sounds like New Jersey is allowing indoor dining, so that's causing a fuss in NYC.

How is acting like children sneaking a cigarette going to help stop the pandemic?

Posts about the Australian women arrested have been removed.

This discussion is not centred on protests throughout the world; it is about Covid and we just can't allow ongoing debate or bickering over every single protest and every single arrest that then derails the thread by branching into discussion or arguments regarding the Constitution, freedom of speech, etc.

Please try to stay on topic.

Thats because it is harsh.

Yes, it is clear to me that many feel their rights for unimpeded free movement supercede getting rid of the pandemic, and the measures that may take.

I feel that there can be a balance between harsh and loose. And many places are trying hard to find that balance in the best way they can. It is all trial and error, and sometimes coming up as a temporary winner.

Yes, it is clear to me that many feel their rights supercede getting rid of the pandemic, and the measures that may take.

I feel that there can be a balance between harsh and loose. And many places are trying hard to find that balance in the best way they can. It is all trial and error, and sometimes coming up as a temporary winner.
China is a harsh regime, even without the pandemic. Just look at Hong Kong.

Just a simple story...
Today I visited a local Great Clips. Thought I would have a wait, despite online check-in. Nope. And, I was the only patron in the shop.

So, I asked the stylist if the pandemic had affected business much. OMGoodness, yes. Before COVID-19 hit 800+ customers, now down to less than 400. Staff cut from 10 stylists to 4 1/2 (only 2 full-time).

So, if this is an indication of pandemic economic recovery, we are in trouble.

Cannot help but ask...

Do you think a vaccine will really be available by Oct 1?
Do you think a vaccine will be available by the end of 2020?
If available, will you get the vaccine?

Just a simple story...
Today I visited a local Great Clips. Thought I would have a wait, despite online check-in. Nope. And, I was the only patron in the shop.

So, I asked the stylist if the pandemic had affected business much. OMGoodness, yes. Before COVID-19 hit 800+ customers, now down to less than 400. Staff cut from 10 stylists to 4 1/2 (only 2 full-time).

So, if this is an indication of pandemic economic recovery, we are in trouble.

I wonder if any of those stylists are working from home. With childcare challenges, many parents aren't able to work away from home and some stylists may have converted space in their basements for a salon.

I have copied your quote below, and am curious as to why we will be first, and is there a reason why it matters? I am confused.

I'm sure we will face challenges, we will be the first free world nation to administer a vaccine.

Who should get the Covid-19 vaccine first? It's way trickier than you might think

I had read this article, above, a few weeks ago that discussed the extraordinary difficulties, for moral, financial, efficiency and efficacy reasons, as to who gets and how vaccines are distributed. I would think the "whole world" has to work together on this.... but what mind-boggling issues to address.

This quote from the attached CNBC article says it pretty clearly:
“We need to think through how to distribute vaccines to reduce harm internationally.

Doubts greet $1.2 billion bet by United States on a coronavirus vaccine by October

I posted this earlier, it's the first draft, open for public comment for the vaccine distribution. It was released Tues, so now we know what is being proposed and any citizen, group has the opportunity to send in an opinion or comment.

I do believe the US will the first free nation vaccine distribution, it my personal opinion. Yes, we will/may face challenges, anytime a group is first we learn a lot, review critical analysis, make improvements and the next group goes smoother. Just like we learned so much from the challenges NYC health system faced. They were on the front line, those with later outbreak learned from NYC.

https://www.nationalacademies.org/n...ion-of-a-covid-19-vaccine-seek-public-comment

National Academies Release Draft Framework for Equitable Allocation of a COVID-19 Vaccine, Seek Public Comment
News Release | September 1, 2020

Last edited:
I wonder if any of those stylists are working from home. With childcare challenges, many parents aren't able to work away from home and some stylists may have converted space in their basements for a salon.

This is exactly how my hairdresser works ... from home. The pandemic has affected her very little. She has just upped her sterilisation throughout her (always clean) hairdressing room, taken away the magazines that we used to browse through, and made sure that one client does not run into another client at the door by spacing the appointments a little further apart.

I guess the issue for shop hairdressers is keeping rent payments up, if they all start working individually from home. Perhaps they just need to close down their shops, set up in their homes in the best way they can, and advise their clients where they can now have their hair done.

How is acting like children sneaking a cigarette going to help stop the pandemic?

It may speak to the intellectual dishonesty that has driven me crazy about all of this. I'm curious if Mr Cuomo, from the beginning, said that these restrictions will remain in place until the virus is eradicated, or if that's a new stance.

It may speak to the intellectual dishonesty that has driven me crazy about all of this. I'm curious if Mr Cuomo, from the beginning, said that these restrictions will remain in place until the virus is eradicated, or if that's a new stance.

I think it is a changing landscape, isn't it? As we try to stop new outbreaks occuring everywhere. Nobody knows exactly how to deal with this pandemic. We should not forget that. Although some methods seem to be better than others. imo

If something isn't working, then we try something else. If something needs tweaking, then we tweak it. If a law needs introducing to overcome non-cooperative behaviour, then we introduce the law.

I don't understand the rationale of "but they didn't say that before". Things change. They change every day, week to week, month to month. I think we need to be fluid enough to go with the changes, until this pandemic is over.

This won't be eradicated any time soon in my opinion. Treating people like we live in a Communist country will backfire. Again, jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73