Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe in your country. But there’s no way the US will return almost to normal by Christmas, IMO. I sure hope nobody is hanging their hat on that idea here, because they will be deeply disappointed. Better to prepare for the worst until it’s is truly under control.

With a vaccine by the beginning of 2021, I think Europe and many other parts of the world, where the outbreak is relatively under control, will be able to see the return of a sense of normalcy by Summer 2021.

The United States, on the other hand, is probably looking at October/November 2021. Perhaps that could be hastened a bit, with a complete shutdown of some duration, in the early part of 2021. Of course, the possibility of that occurring, will depend completely upon what happens this November.

This is an interesting article about how Cities Will Change Post-CoVid. Of course, it's projection, and possibly a bit of dreaming, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

How Life in Our Cities Will Look After the Coronavirus Pandemic
The pandemic is transforming urban life. We asked 12 leading global experts in urban planning, policy, history, and health for their predictions.

How Life in Our Cities Will Look After the Coronavirus Pandemic

great article. thanks.

Good article on "travel shaming" during COVID

Dirty looks, threats, and anonymous notes. Good riddance to the summer of travel shaming - The Boston Globe

Earlier this summer, Merry White arrived for her vacation in rural Maine with a negative COVID-19 test in hand, as required by state guidelines for visitors from Massachusetts. But following the rules didn’t seem to be enough to quell suspicion, or worse, among locals.

“We found that the locals didn’t trust visitors,” said White, a professor at Boston University. “And the visitors didn’t trust the locals. The locals didn’t wear masks because they felt 'This is our village.' So no one trusted anyone. We wore masks, and that marked us as outsiders.”

Some residents of rural areas and heavily trafficked tourist destinations have turned into vacation vigilantes, shaming outsiders who they feel may be putting them at risk of exposure to the virus. Ask around, and you’ll hear stories about dirty looks and locals grilling and shaming vacationers who show up with out-of-state plates.

Dirty looks, threats, and anonymous notes. Good riddance to the summer of travel shaming - The Boston Globe

Earlier this summer, Merry White arrived for her vacation in rural Maine with a negative COVID-19 test in hand, as required by state guidelines for visitors from Massachusetts. But following the rules didn’t seem to be enough to quell suspicion, or worse, among locals.

“We found that the locals didn’t trust visitors,” said White, a professor at Boston University. “And the visitors didn’t trust the locals. The locals didn’t wear masks because they felt 'This is our village.' So no one trusted anyone. We wore masks, and that marked us as outsiders.”

Some residents of rural areas and heavily trafficked tourist destinations have turned into vacation vigilantes, shaming outsiders who they feel may be putting them at risk of exposure to the virus. Ask around, and you’ll hear stories about dirty looks and locals grilling and shaming vacationers who show up with out-of-state plates.

That is insanity. Right now, we have census workers, who are traveling from various locations to get the Census done. This is important work. They are not on vacation, but it is pretty much the same, travel from one location to another. They are being super careful. I have had the pleasure to meet some of these folks, and really liking the fact that they are such a fantastic diverse group of people. Older, younger, a cross mix of folks. Doing tremendous work during this time.

It was like Royston Vasey in the comedy series League of Gentlemen in my village back in April and May. Its fine now we are open. Was outside weeding today and we had tourists passing every couple of minutes as we live beside a public footpath. Many stopped for a socially distanced chat.

Fairfield's Kyona Yeager home and healing after COVID-19 battle

A good news story! Kyona Yeager had "Mis-C", a devastating health crisis for children who have Covid-19. She is amazing, from almost complete organ shut shut down a few weeks ago, and life flight to Salt Lake City, Primary Children's Medical Center, to starting her first day of school now, as a freshman.

An excellent news story.

Would you agree to have coronavirus squirted up your nose?

This link has probably been posted before. It is about volunteers signing up to take part in challenge trials to help speed up the vaccine rollout.

From the article.

"Would you agree to have coronavirus squirted up your nose? All, of course, in the name of science.

There are plenty who would, and indeed are campaigning to be allowed to take part in so-called "challenge trials" to try to accelerate development of a coronavirus vaccine.

Alastair Fraser-Urquhart is one of them. He's 18 and has just received his A-level results. Initially he did not have the grades he needed to study cancer biomedicine at University College London, until the government U-turn.

Now he does, he's thinking about taking a year out, in part to work with 1 Day Sooner, a group campaigning for Covid vaccine challenge trials.

"I'm in the lowest-risk category for Covid so why wouldn't I make that choice and help save other people who would deal with it far worse than me," he says.

A challenge study would involve volunteers being given a Covid vaccine and, a few weeks later, being infected with live coronavirus in order to test whether the jab has protected them. Those involved would be quarantined in a clinical research unit for two weeks and kept under close medical supervision to see if they get infected and develop symptoms."

<modsnip: not MSM or an approved WS source>

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you agree to have coronavirus squirted up your nose?

This link has probably been posted before. It is about volunteers signing up to take part in challenge trials to help speed up the vaccine rollout.

From the article.

"Would you agree to have coronavirus squirted up your nose? All, of course, in the name of science.

There are plenty who would, and indeed are campaigning to be allowed to take part in so-called "challenge trials" to try to accelerate development of a coronavirus vaccine.

Alastair Fraser-Urquhart is one of them. He's 18 and has just received his A-level results. Initially he did not have the grades he needed to study cancer biomedicine at University College London, until the government U-turn.

Now he does, he's thinking about taking a year out, in part to work with 1 Day Sooner, a group campaigning for Covid vaccine challenge trials.

"I'm in the lowest-risk category for Covid so why wouldn't I make that choice and help save other people who would deal with it far worse than me," he says.

A challenge study would involve volunteers being given a Covid vaccine and, a few weeks later, being infected with live coronavirus in order to test whether the jab has protected them. Those involved would be quarantined in a clinical research unit for two weeks and kept under close medical supervision to see if they get infected and develop symptoms."

<modsnip: not MSM or an approved WS source>

Brave young man.

My daughter sent this article to me today
An interesting read
https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-

Any thoughts on this?

Sorry I’m on my phone and not as easy for me to cut and paste as on laptop

“When Summit was done, researchers analyzed the results. It was, in the words of Dr. Daniel Jacobson, lead researcher and chief scientist for computational systems biology at Oak Ridge”
“bradykinin”The hypothesis provides a model that explains many aspects of Covid-19, including some of its most "
“ It also suggests 10-plus potential treatments, many of which are already FDA approved. Jacobson’s group published their results in a paper in the journal eLife in early July.”

This is an excellent article, and actually quite easy to read. I certainly see some good news that there are plenty of existing drugs available that can address excess of the inflammatory molecule bradykinin.

However, I am interested in better understanding what they are discussing about the different pathologies of the Bradykinin vs. cytokines storm.

It does appear to be a significant shift in theories. And I wonder if that will also affect the development of the most appropriate vaccines in the future??????

Since most of the attention was focused on the RAS system and its interaction with modulating the vascular system and inflammation, the other major role of ACE and ACE2 for the regulation of the kinin-kallikrein system was lacking attention.
Kinins and Cytokines in COVID-19: A Comprehensive Pathophysiological Approach - ProQuest

This, another ---big fat rabbit hole/still over my head---article does start to address caution with vaccines in monkeys infected with SARS.
Kallikrein-kinin blockade in patients with COVID-19 to prevent acute respiratory distress syndrome

It was like Royston Vasey in the comedy series League of Gentlemen in my village back in April and May. Its fine now we are open. Was outside weeding today and we had tourists passing every couple of minutes as we live beside a public footpath. Many stopped for a socially distanced chat.
I wave at the neighbors from the front yard and they wave back or shout hello, but they aren’t close enough to talk. I’d probably enjoy a casual chat as long as both had on masks and 6 feet apart. Hopefully the weather was nice outside. We had a cooler day, the high was only 84 degrees!

I agree with that. The younger male group who are in their peak of hormonal fight or flight growth are the ones who seem to be unable to control themselves in many places at the moment. Obviously that doesn't apply to all of that demographic, but where there is trouble it seems to be primarily them. They do seem to be the ones who are having the greatest difficulty in adjusting to the new norm.

I don't know how we get them to control themselves. We certainly can't just cater to them and let this virus spread and infect the rest of the populations. I hope that someone can think of a way to deal with this worldwide problem.

History will record...but not soon enough. When I see/read accounts of personal behavioral changes-- wearing seatbelts, no smoking in office buildings. And accounts of national changes--McCarthyism, Integration......... history looked pretty ugly.

My little county in Florida is still experiencing a 21% increase in cases over the past 14 days---One of the top three in the state. And FL is still the current leader in % of cases, and in the current top 5 for % of deaths. So I don't see any miracles coming down the pike.

Global COVID-19 Tracker & Interactive Charts | Real Time Updates & Digestable Information for Everyone | 1Point3Acres

ha ha. Mainers!! Gotta love em. Back in MARCH, a NYC couple went to their home on a wonderful friendly lobstering island in Maine--- vigilantes actually surrounded their house and cut their cable/electric lines!

You do have to wonder what they are feeling with the huge spike out of Millinocket and York County. Connected via the virus, but still hundreds of miles apart....

One in Three Americans Would Not Get COVID-19 Vaccine

I in 3 Americans would not get a vaccine, even if free.

3 in 4 adults around the world say they would get a COVID-19 vaccine

This is a world survey which has 3 out of 4 accepting a vaccine.
This sets up a really interesting dynamic. There will be some, and I confess I may end up to be one of them, who will decide not to get the vaccine because (1) they don't trust it and (2) if everyone else gets one, we will achieve herd immunity so I'll be protected anyways.

I agree with that. The younger male group who are in their peak of hormonal fight or flight growth are the ones who seem to be unable to control themselves in many places at the moment. Obviously that doesn't apply to all of that demographic, but where there is trouble it seems to be primarily them. They do seem to be the ones who are having the greatest difficulty in adjusting to the new norm.

I don't know how we get them to control themselves. We certainly can't just cater to them and let this virus spread and infect the rest of the populations. I hope that someone can think of a way to deal with this worldwide problem.
I agree with you, too many young men with nothing to do and nothing to hope to achieve can become a dangerous social problem..only slightly tongue in cheek, but IMO that's part of what the military is for, to channel that energy. During the great depression, the CCC employed 3 million young men and sent them out of the cities, doing physical labour...imagine trying to pull that off now! No video games, no drugs and alcohol...
Civilian Conservation Corps - Wikipedia

One in Three Americans Would Not Get COVID-19 Vaccine

I in 3 Americans would not get a vaccine, even if free.

3 in 4 adults around the world say they would get a COVID-19 vaccine

This is a world survey which has 3 out of 4 accepting a vaccine.

A parallel wording would be 3 out of 4 adults world wide would get the vaccine, while only 2 out of 3 American adults would. I think it makes the comparison a little clearer. Looking at it another way, 9 out of 12 worldwide, and 8 out of 12 Americans would get the vaccine. So the difference is not as great as it first appears.

I agree with you, too many young men with nothing to do and nothing to hope to achieve can become a dangerous social problem..only slightly tongue in cheek, but IMO that's part of what the military is for, to channel that energy. During the great depression, the CCC employed 3 million young men and sent them out of the cities, doing physical labour...imagine trying to pull that off now! No video games, no drugs and alcohol...
Civilian Conservation Corps - Wikipedia

It is amazing to hear some of the stories. There is a film at Glacier Park about the CCC program, with interviews from the young men. One guy, had been an orphan in Chicago. He said that his first new pair of boots, coat, pants was when he went into the program. And he joined up, just to have food to eat. We don't have poverty like that in the United States now. Regardless of what some people think.

With a vaccine by the beginning of 2021, I think Europe and many other parts of the world, where the outbreak is relatively under control, will be able to see the return of a sense of normalcy by Summer 2021.

The United States, on the other hand, is probably looking at October/November 2021. Perhaps that could be hastened a bit, with a complete shutdown of some duration, in the early part of 2021. Of course, the possibility of that occurring, will depend completely upon what happens this November.

I wonder how long it will take to overcome masks and, especially, social distancing. Just don't know if I ever want to stand close to a stranger again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot